Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 43

Author Topic: The Cloud - One Small Step...  (Read 39024 times)

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
The Cloud - One Small Step...
« on: March 09, 2014, 11:37:02 pm »

You come to in a flash of light, followed by sudden vertigo. You open your eyes to find out that you have none, and try to speak only to learn that likewise, you have no mouth, at least at the moment. Still--the unknown senses you do have bring in an overload of information, more information that you are used to or even equipped to process.
As if someone is doing the looking for you, the environment around you comes to life. You vicariously take in all the sights and sounds of a medical lab with sterilized plastic tables and equipment organized neatly onto trays, manipulated by labcoat-wearing scientists, doctors, and nurses. You even recognize your own body laying on a table, covered in electrodes and implants, being pumped full of I.V. fluids, and having your vital signs monitored by a team of executive-looking personnel being a glass wall on the far side of the room. At first, you believe you are having some kind of out-of-body experience, but then a simple spark of white light puts you back to sleep and everything once again goes dark.

*VITAL SIGNS NORMAL*
*COGNITIVE ACTIVITY DETECTED*
*PREPARING RESCUSITATION... DONE*
*LOADING VR ASSETS...*

Welcome back.

Do you see this?

So you do. We were looking for the reaction your brain has when subjected to stimuli like a question. That means that everything is progressing as anticipated.
Your memory has been severely compromised by the trials. We tried to salvage what we could, but as far as experiences go, you are now a clean slate. Don't see this as harming your sense of personhood in any way. Your personality, preferences, and desires are all there, simply hidden under a veil for you to rediscover.

So, you might ask once we give you an avatar, why are you trapped in your current state? Well, years ago you signed up for a program sponsored by the Central Navy. Five were chosen. All five of you were terminally ill or paralyzed, with little prospects of recovery. Through our program, we are giving you a new body and a new life, but with that comes responsibility. For the next ten years, you will be part of our expeditionary force, using your newfound ability to protect our people from a threat unlike any that you have ever known.

In five minutes, we will begin the process of mental trials in order to help you get back on your feet. In the meantime, please review these files. Feel free to ask questions afterward. Good luck!

*LOADING DOCUMENTS... DONE*

Spoiler: What is this? (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: How do I play? (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Skills (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Where can I sign up? (click to show/hide)

Waitlist:
Open!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 03:38:47 pm by _DivideByZero_ »
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
Re: The Cloud - Looking for Players
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 04:17:46 am »

Here, will that do? I tried to phrase the sheet as something that might have been written by a bureaucrat or archivist or something, so it might have turned out a bit dry. I can expand it if necessary.
Spoiler: Sheet (click to show/hide)

Looks cool so far. If I remember right, you have another game set in the same verse, yes?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 07:56:13 am by Avis-Mergulus »
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 07:19:57 am »

INteresting. I'l edit this post with the sheet later today.
EDIT:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 12:19:54 pm by darkpaladin109 »

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 08:53:23 am »

Spoiler: Character Sheet (click to show/hide)
My Area

It's it's its, not it's, not its its, not it's.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 10:41:29 am »

Name: David "Dave" Steel
Injury: Quadriplegia
Bio: Once a hard working Ocean Dweller inventor he had a terrible accident leaving him a vegetable his wife immediately left him and he was in the hospital for five years before he joined the program.
Skills: Inventing (2)
          Tecnocombat (1)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 10:49:53 am by The Froggy Ninja »

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2014, 11:05:04 am »

Fukken reserved. Done.

Spoiler: Hamilton Teromo (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 12:34:54 pm by Comrade P. »
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Chromatic Wasp

• Bay Watcher
  • Art by Tae (Raspcherry)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2014, 11:18:05 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 11:30:44 am by Chromatic Wasp »
Come on up to the stage! Are you trembling with fear and excitement?

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2014, 11:50:58 am »

Hey, Divide, is this FCFS or not?
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2014, 11:57:49 am »

Hey, Divide, is this FCFS or not?
Probably not, IIRC.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2014, 12:24:18 pm »

I can't bring myself to just pick and choose people based on my own tastes, although a simple dice roll would be more fair. I'll get back to this when I get to ny computer.

This is in the same universe as Torn Planet although if a discontinuity-inducing event occurs the timelines will diverge from each other.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Dice Arena
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2014, 03:57:22 pm »

I have come up with a new way to determine who the first five are, aside from writing a lengthy prologue to cause people who aren't interested to drop out.

The Dice Arena

The dice are set atop platforms over the game field. The arena lies below, full of blow-torches, razor-sharp spike pits, and reciprocating saws. The onlooking crowd cheers on as the the dice meister prepares to send the dice over the edge. The last five dice remaining shall take home victory!

Avis-Mergulus - Red Dice
darkpaladin109 - Green Dice
Samarkand - Orange Dice
The Froggy Ninja - Purple Dice
Comrade P. - Chocolate Dice
Chromatic Wasp - Blue Dice

The way this will work is I will roll numbers, and whoever rolls highest will get a spot. The lowest scores get eliminated. I may or may not write expositions attempting humor about how your dice are horribly mangled inside the arena.

Sign-ups are still open and always will be, although after I decide the first five everyone else will go on the waitlist (and due to the nature of the game the waitlist might not even get used, unfortunately). But until then, everyone still has a chance to get in at the beginning.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 04:00:38 pm by _DivideByZero_ »

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Cloud - Pending Bereaucratic Decisions
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2014, 04:03:57 pm »

I don't mean to be that guy, but is there a point? I mean, we're applying in what is essentially a random order, why set up the whole dice business? Besides, there's six of us. You can just assign each player to a side of a d6, and whoever turns up gets waitlisted.

I'm not questioning your authority, it just seems like an overly complicated setup to me. But it's your work, so there.

Edit: have I mentioned autocorrect sucks bear balls?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 04:30:40 pm by Avis-Mergulus »

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2014, 04:55:55 pm »

I don't mean to be that guy, but is there a point? I mean, we're applying in what is essentially a random order, why set up the whole dice business? Besides, there's six of us. You can just assign each player to a side of a d6, and whoever turns up gets waitlisted.

I'm not questioning your authority, it just seems like an overly complicated setup to me. But it's your work, so there.

Edit: have I mentioned autocorrect sucks bear balls?

Because I want to let a few more people sign up just in case they thought it was FCFS and they didn't sign up because of it.

But yes, just rolling for whomever gets eliminated is a much faster way to do it. It's just not as fun. I need to give everyone text colors anyway for readability purposes.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 04:59:25 pm by _DivideByZero_ »

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2014, 05:09:44 pm »

Right you are. Well, waiting on the results.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2014, 06:37:29 pm »

It seems that we won't be getting any more people for now. In that case I will skip the whole arena thing and just roll a dice like Avis suggested.

The Dice Says: (4)

This means that the fourth player, or The Froggy Ninja, shall be waitlisted. Sorry man!

Some nitpicks incoming:
INteresting. I'l edit this post with the sheet later today.
EDIT:

Name: David "Pirate Dave" Smith
Injury: Lower right leg missing, left hand missing, blind in right eye, other limbs severely injured.
Bio: David was raised on a planet renowned for it's spaceships. In his youth, he oftentimes watched spaceships come and go from a shipyard near where he lived. When he grew up, he became a spaceship engineer, showing talent in the field. One day while repairing the reactor of a spaceship, it exploded, blowing off his rightlower leg and left hand, and blinding him in his right eye. His other limbs were also severely injured, but not quite destroyed by the explosion. Despite the damage, David lived on, gaining the nickname "Pirate Dave" for his injuries.
Skills: Tinkerer(3)

• This game takes place inside the solar system. It's pre-FTL, so it's unlikely that Earth has received any visits from its colonies yet.
  • Reactors are radioactive, and highly so. If you had been sent to repair one while it was running, you wouldn't have been expected to live at all due to the amount of radiation you would take. I would change the object you were repairing to something else so that the character makes sense in-universe.

The documents fade into the same blackness that you have become familiar with. After an indeterminate period of time, (you've lost all track of time while basically unconscious) you feel something cold brush against your skin in all places. This only occurs for a moment. Then, everything goes numb.

You hear slight rustling, although you cannot feel your ears. You feel yourself swaying side to side, even though you cannot feel your body. Finally, you see a light slowly flood the chamber you are in as a panel recedes into the floor, even though you have no eyes. You instinctively try to move your head side-to-side, expecting to fail, but you actually succeed to cause some motion. At your sides are four other "bodies" with you in the chamber. Each "body" consists of a cross-shaped metal structure holding a single blood-red, smooth, and glassy orb in the center.
Each person's orb flickers with light occasionally, although this new light is in a color you have never seen before and never knew existed. The metal bodies gently sway, hanging from the ceiling of the chamber via cables. This new body is largely immobile, other than the red orb which you assume is an optical device.

The motors in the ceiling activate, and each one of you is moved into the center of a blank grey chamber with plated metal walls, a floor made up of plastic tiles, and a ceiling with lights that shine through a translucent plastic layer, dispersing the light evenly. The apparatus carrying your current body moves such that the bodies are all lined up facing the same wall, and each body has a meter of space before the next.

Your auditory facilities pick up a voice. It does not echo or reverberate through the room, but is rather crystal clear and free of noise.
"Check the vitals, Marv.
Alright. Keep checking.

Hello all! What do you think? Anything uncomfortable or any outstanding issues?

Try to move your heads around. Don't worry that you have no head. Just try it."

Current Players:
Avis-Mergulus AKA Anton "Tosha" Teremnoi
darkpaladin109 AKA David "Pirate Dave" Smith
Samarkand AKA Felicia Hasting
Comrade P. AKA Hamilton Teromo
Chromatic Wasp AKA Chandler Davis
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 43