Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 43

Author Topic: The Cloud - One Small Step...  (Read 39075 times)

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
Re: The Cloud - Introduction
« Reply #255 on: April 17, 2014, 11:25:45 pm »

>Dr. Winston Arran, chief of staff--KEY NOT ACQUIRED
>Dr. Alice Walker, head of Astronomy--KEY ACQUIRED
>Researcher Yorick Bentley, head of Biology--KEY ACQUIRED
>Researcher Samuel Ashcroft, Nanotech researcher--KEY ACQUIRED
>Researcher Eveline Joyce, Nanotech researcher--KEY NOT ACQUIRED

CNR Laboratory, Ceres
Feb 2nd, 2398
15:55 GMT

Comrade P. AKA Hamilton Teromo
Spoiler: Skills (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Cloud Status (click to show/hide)

Even though your suit stands six feet tall with multi-jointed arms reaching almost 50% higher than the average human, you still can't catch the box before it escapes into the upper half of the room. The ceilings in this place are quite abnormally high, you realize, most likely for a number of safety reasons.

"Oh its okay, it'll fall back down soon!" the short woman replies, embarrassed at such a mistake.
She stands off to the side, waiting as the package bounces off a ceiling panel and slowly drifts down, accelerating at the meager rate of 0.27 meters per second per second. Earth's gravity is over 36 times stronger. Eve raises her arms, reaching for the package, but you pluck it out of the air before she even has a chance of catching it, then hand it to her.

"Umm, thanks, Mr or Mrs...?"
You tell her your name and ask if you can talk to her for a minute.
"Oh! Are you okay? They told me something happened during your last exercise!"

Samarkand AKA Felicia Hasting

You look out of the office and call out to the custodians in an authoritative tone.
"You two! Isn't there a chemical spill in the biology wing you should be cleaning up?"
The first one seems startled by your voice. The second one hurriedly replies as he packs up: "It's that bad!?"
The two custodians leave you in peace, allowing you to shut the door and hide inside the office. You crouch down on the ceiling over the door, using the low gravity and your magnetic feet to your advantage. Next, you turn the medkit upside down (relative to yourself) so that its contents don't spill out from the minor gravity still present, and look through. Inside, you can find a rack of twelve saline solutions, as well as gauze, tape, a box of about 80 packets containing isopropyl alcohol wipes, and other generic medical supplies.

You note that the "chemical spill" in the biology lab was just a slight leak. Nothing too severe. The custodians might become suspicious after finding out there isn't anything for them to do, but you aren't sure. Either way they will be distracted for a bit. Hopefully the chief of staff will come in soon.

Avis-Mergulus AKA Anton "Tosha" Teremnoi

The chief of staff grabs his phone and listens. You assume that the speaker is Dr. McDonald, and slowly back away so you can begin pursuit once the chief leaves.
"I meant to talk to Ashcroft but there was a damned chem spill in the control room. Then you took him from me just as he was coming out." Winston chuckles into the phone.
"I'll be there soon." he closes the device and puts it into his pocket. However, instead of leaving the lobby, he moves to the back corner of the room and puts his hands in his pockets, either waiting or watching for something.

Dr. McDonald is currently walking into the lobby from the hall. He nods to you as a greeting and turns to exit the lobby.

The Froggy Ninja AKA David "Dave" Steel

Spoiler: BEHOLD, MY CREATION! (click to show/hide)

You attempt to simulate 3d printing techniques with your nanites directly. Hopefully, your nanites can make something smaller than themselves, which can in-turn build even smaller versions of themselves, and so on. You set the nanites to perform an iterating loop, constantly building scaled down versions of themselves until they reach atomic limits. At the end of this, you should be able to use the tiny nanites to build a machine that builds big nanites.

[6] The Cloud consumes itself for raw resources. Even the smaller versions that are their products are eligible for cannibalization--the process is extremely wasteful, but eventually the process evens itself out and the Cloud, after almost grinding itself to dust, is finalized at half its original unit count. The smaller nanites them construct a device that fits in your palm. When supplied with power and raw materials from your cloud, it will gradually spit out normal-sized nanites. (+10% total cloud per turn).
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: April 18, 2014, 08:13:01 am »

((How visible are my tiny nanites? Also are the keys keycards or legit keys?))
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 08:18:12 am by The Froggy Ninja »

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: April 18, 2014, 09:42:55 am »

- Thank you, I'm fine after accident. Actually, I was going to talk about it a bit. You see, there were some circumstances I cannot reveal due to security reasons, I can only say that right now I have to bother you with a request.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: April 18, 2014, 01:14:24 pm »

((How visible are my tiny nanites? Also are the keys keycards or legit keys?))

Tiny Nanites are less than half the size of regular nanites and are almost completely invisible to anyone who doesn't have visual aids like you do. You see them as a mist of blue dots, although you aren't sure about their actual scale and distribution.

The keys are physical keys but they are more like car keys rather than door keys. This is so that the life support pods can be disconnected under a power surge.

- Thank you, I'm fine after accident. Actually, I was going to talk about it a bit. You see, there were some circumstances I cannot reveal due to security reasons, I can only say that right now I have to bother you with a request.

"Oh sure! What is it? I just have to get this package to the people working on Orpheus in the next room. It's not urgent."
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 01:20:36 pm by _DivideByZero_ »

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: April 18, 2014, 01:18:08 pm »

I go in search of Dr. Joyce.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: April 18, 2014, 01:21:59 pm »

I go in search of Dr. Joyce.

You step through the emergency airlock and look to see Hamilton already talking to Dr. Joyce. She is holding a small package about the size of a cheesecake.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: April 18, 2014, 01:29:57 pm »

I use my Nanites to fell for the key in her pockets and if they find it gather enough information to make a replica out of the required materials.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: April 18, 2014, 02:29:18 pm »

"Oh sure! What is it? I just have to get this package to the people working on Orpheus in the next room. It's not urgent."

- You see, I have to ask you to give me your key for uncertain time period. I understand it sounds suspicious, but believe me, it is really important, otherwise it wouldn't be that secret, eh?

((Well, let's hope the dice loves me in deceiving part of that hilarious show of mine))
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: April 18, 2014, 03:44:16 pm »

((Divide-bro, why do I suddenly have full Cloud? Not that I'm complaining, but..))

Anton activates his comm again.

-Doc? He's just standing there. Should I just hang around and wait for him to move his ass? Hamilton seems to be taking care of Joyce. What's the plan after this? How are we going to get the pods to your ship?
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: April 18, 2014, 05:17:12 pm »

Continue to lie in wait, ready to ambush Dr. Arran
My Area

It's it's its, not it's, not its its, not it's.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: April 18, 2014, 05:27:23 pm »

((Divide-bro, why do I suddenly have full Cloud? Not that I'm complaining, but..))

Anton activates his comm again.

-Doc? He's just standing there. Should I just hang around and wait for him to move his ass? Hamilton seems to be taking care of Joyce. What's the plan after this? How are we going to get the pods to your ship?

((Oh, simple explanation: I put in place a new system to allow for segregated nanite types so you can have, for example, 30% tiny nanites and 70% nomal nanites. Because the default is 100% I copy-pasted Froggy's modified sheet over to everyone else's and then changed Froggy's to 50% with tiny nanites.))

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: April 18, 2014, 05:55:15 pm »

>Dr. Winston Arran, chief of staff--KEY NOT ACQUIRED
>Dr. Alice Walker, head of Astronomy--KEY ACQUIRED
>Researcher Yorick Bentley, head of Biology--KEY ACQUIRED
>Researcher Samuel Ashcroft, Nanotech researcher--KEY ACQUIRED
>Researcher Eveline Joyce, Nanotech researcher--KEY NOT ACQUIRED

CNR Laboratory, Ceres
Feb 2nd, 2398
16:05 GMT

Samarkand AKA Felicia Hasting

While waiting, you have a look around the office. Sheets of paper scattered around, settled over time and unmoving. Since the gravity is so low, you assume it's been like this for a while. It seems like an odd thing for Arran to leave his office like this, though, as many of the sheets have fallen to the floor. Most of them appear to be project records, mainly involving plantlife and ecosystem research. There's also one sheet that stands out to you as being a little interesting: "Underground wildlife reserves on Titan."

Many of the chief of staff's little trinkets that he keeps on his desk have been brushed aside and are now magnetically attached to different parts of the room.

Comrade P. AKA Hamilton Teromo

"You see, I have to ask you to give me your key for uncertain time period. I understand it sounds suspicious, but believe me, it is really important, otherwise it wouldn't be that secret, eh?"
[1] The young woman seems thoroughly confused/
"What? Why do you need the keys? Of course it's suspicious!"

As you converse, you notice a blue mist creeping in from the side of your vision. Eve doesn't seem to notice the mist as it creeps into her pockets momentarily, then recedes. You watch the mist as it travels back to regular Dave (not Pirate Dave), surrounding him and staying put. Speaking of Pirate Dave, he seems to be resting against a wall while heavily disoriented. Poor guy.
"Well?"

The Froggy Ninja AKA David "Dave" Steel

[3] Your Cloud managed to return with 3d visualization data of all of the objects in the woman's pockets. You see before you a number of cards and a keyring, but you don't know which keys they are in particular. Eve seems to have keys to a lot of different projects in the department, considering that the locks on those are different from standard door locks. Each project key is a cylinder with slotted ridges, designed to withstand torque and function as a means to operate the larger mechanical lock that keeps each project device in place.

Avis-Mergulus AKA Anton "Tosha" Teremnoi

Since you can choose not to only broadcast your speech to the radio channel, nobody can hear you speaking or receiving responses from the doctor.
[6] "I think he's waiting for Ashcroft. He said he wanted to talk to him. Maybe we can just tell him Ashcroft is inside and knock him out."
As per Dr. McDonald's predictions, Dr. Arran enters the hall and starts to hang around near the entrance to the bathroom, assuming Ashcroft is inside.
"After we get the keys all we need to do is load the pods on carts and get them into the cargo tunnels. Once we put them into a container I can use my authorization to automatically load them into my ship without telling anyone what's inside. You yourselves can wait inside the container while I make my way to the bridge."
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 06:04:23 pm by _DivideByZero_ »

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: April 18, 2014, 06:16:45 pm »

((Just to be clear I'm talking to Doctor McDonald))"Doc? Would you be able to recognize which keys go to what if you saw a digital projection? Also can I transmit something like that across this channel?"

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: April 18, 2014, 06:20:40 pm »

((Just to be clear I'm talking to Doctor McDonald))"Doc? Would you be able to recognize which keys go to what if you saw a digital projection? Also can I transmit something like that across this channel?"

"I'm afraid audio communication is as far as this goes. I don't have a means of viewing anything you send me. I'm about to come into the room so we can subdue Arran, though. Could you help us out?"

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: April 18, 2014, 07:16:09 pm »

"Sure thing Doc."
I use my nanites to both harvest the oxygen around the nose and mouth area of Arran while simultaneously generating sound waves at 5 hertz and 150 dB (blocked from the outside so as not to effect McDonald) to create nausia. These two effect will most likely cause him to pass out with no lasting damage unless he hits her head on the way down.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 11:45:53 am by The Froggy Ninja »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 43