Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 43

Author Topic: The Cloud - One Small Step...  (Read 39093 times)

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
Re: The Cloud - Introduction
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2014, 04:56:23 pm »

You hear a chuckle over the voice-over.

"Oh is the mic on? I'm sorry people, we're going to split you up for the next test. After that, though, we'll put you back together. But, please continue getting acquainted with each other. It will help us figure out the holes in our system."
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2014, 04:58:39 pm »

Anton's eyebrow twitches. He extends a hand for a shake, then realizes it might be unwise while still unadapted to the new body, and turns the whole thing into a vaguely delighted wave.

Anton. Pleased to make your acquittance, Pirate Dave. - he deadpans. Yours too, Hamilton. I'm sure rank is not necessary yet.

He graces the ceiling with a nod. Affirmative.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2014, 05:05:25 pm »

Okay, so this is not about combat trainings right now...
Stop the aforementioned sequence in an un-harmful way

Hamilton sits onto nearest obstacle. After a minute of sitting still he turns to Anton - the only person spoke to him so far:
- So, what is your long story if spoken short? Hm?
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2014, 05:26:10 pm »

((I have the roll almost done, but I'll hold on to it until you two are finished. If anyone else wants to join in feel free to do so.))

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2014, 05:27:51 pm »

Anton thinks for a second.

- Well, nothing interesting, really. I'm a shuttle pilot by trade, see, and so I was transporting a cargo of hydroponic fruit and romance novels from #3 to #12 - long haul, and boring as hell. Somewhere in the middle of the run, the shit hit the fan at Mach infinity - seriously, I was just sitting in my chair twiddling my thumbs when the reactor failure alarm went off - bad in itself, but generally the worst that can happen is that an emergency team will have to pick you up. So I start calling for help, and then I remember being thrown into the wall headfirst, and that's thankfully pretty much it.

Anton shudders briefly.

- I'm sure I remember waking up for a second only to find myself on the Outside - outside the ship, that is. That was terrifying. I mean, I always knew space was behind the walls of the habitats, and I even did a few spacewalks myself - but imagine finding yourself in space while you're wearing some pants and a regulation shirt and that's it.

((Don't mind us, we can probably blab and do exercises at the same time.))
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2014, 05:34:53 pm »

((Quick tip: when a tooltip says "flat +1 to basic X rolls", that means that when you get a basic roll associated with X, it increases your roll by one. It does not increase the number of sides on the die, as it would with an advanced roll.

Hover over a skill to see a clarification as to what it does.))

((Don't mind us, we can probably blab and do exercises at the same time.))

Dr. Alexander McDonald wants to get everyone used to the system as fast as possible.

That said, he noticed the conversation and managed to come up with something...

CNR Laboratory, Ceres
Feb 2nd, 2398
13:47 GMT

Avis-Mergulus AKA Anton "Tosha" Teremnoi
Spoiler: Skills (click to show/hide)

[5] With unmatched agility in comparison to the other bodies running about, you dash across the various medium-height obstacles, culminating in a solid leap over the tallest of them all.

Skill Learned: Acrobat

darkpaladin109 AKA David "Pirate Dave" Smith

You watch the others walk around. You inspect your own hands and limbs more closely, and instinctively try to rub your eyes, only to find smooth metal under your fingertips.

One of the others leaps across an obstacle and lands squarely on his feet. You assume you are to do the same, so you take a running start and [1] flip over as soon as you jump, landing in a heap at the base of the obstacle. You don't feel any pain from the impact, but there is no way that was what you were supposed to do.
"Sorry-" you hiss quietly at the dark green voice in your head. No response.

Samarkand AKA Felicia Hasting

[4] You carefully step over the shorter obstacles multiple times, making sure you are fully balanced. Even without spreading your arms, the body automatically adjusts its weight distribution in order to walk and balance correctly.

Comrade P. AKA Hamilton Teromo

You examine this new body, first flexing your thin, spindly fingers and clawed feet. Then, you test your ability to move at various speeds, culminating in a sprint across the room--[4] and coming to a stop in front of one person on the floor, who stands up and introduces himself as Pirate Dave.

Chromatic Wasp AKA Chandler Davis

[3] You walk about, avoiding the obstacles. The paint on these bodies looks glossy and brand new--you wouldn't want to get them scratched.

Again, rather abruptly, the doctor's voice cuts in and the world fades to black. This time, you stay conscious the whole time.
"Alright, we are going to do a combat exercise. You won't be killing anyone, not yet, but let's see how well you respond to threats."

Each one of you regains control of a body, this time in a chamber by herself, armed with a small knife. The new chamber consists of a passageway cutting through a much greater-sized hall. Peering over the edge reveals a jacketed human with a gun. He fires a warning shot at your exposed face.
On the other side of the hall, there is an alcove with a body standing unarmed and unmoving. There is a lever switch mounted on the wall inside the alcove.

"For this excercise, your goal will be to get to the alcove on the other side of the hall without getting shot. The body with the knife is the commander body, it contains the transmitter that relays your actions. Without a commander body, you lose control of the entire battlefield, so you will have to protect it! The other body is expendable. You can swap to it, but you lose control of your commander while you are controlling it.

Remember, trust nothing but your senses."

Anton and Hamilton receive an additional clip that the others do not hear.
"I hate to interrupt a good conversation... so I've activated the telepathic communications module. You two are free to talk to each other starting now. Just think about what you are going to say, and the synthesizer will play it directly into the feed."

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2014, 05:43:08 pm »

((Hubba-bubba. Telepatic channel. Awesome!))
- Let's see...
Well, fuck. I'm not a tactical genius. I know how to perform tactical maneuvers and stuff, but how to plan those... I'll just do the most obvious thing I guess, right or wrong.
Switch to the other body and pull the lever

EDIT: 3 A.M. I'm off to sleep, can't hold anymore.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 05:57:17 pm by Comrade P. »
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Chromatic Wasp

• Bay Watcher
  • Art by Tae (Raspcherry)
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2014, 06:16:48 pm »

"Alright. Let's try something."

Making sure to remain out of the line of fire, throw the knife at the man, aiming for the abdomen.
Come on up to the stage! Are you trembling with fear and excitement?

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2014, 06:59:29 pm »

Leave commander against the corner between the passage and the hall. Switch to other body and pull lever.
My Area

It's it's its, not it's, not its its, not it's.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2014, 08:12:08 pm »

Swap to expendable body and rush the gunman. When he is distracted with this maneuver, swap back to commander, jump the gunman and stab the crap out of him.

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2014, 08:43:31 pm »

((Lol. What happened to
You won't be killing anyone, not yet
))
My Area

It's it's its, not it's, not its its, not it's.

Chromatic Wasp

• Bay Watcher
  • Art by Tae (Raspcherry)
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2014, 09:06:12 pm »

((Lol. What happened to
You won't be killing anyone, not yet
))

Amendment to previous statement:

Aim to incapacitate, not kill.

((hahaha I pay attention so well))
Come on up to the stage! Are you trembling with fear and excitement?

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2014, 11:48:42 pm »

The words echo in your head:

"Trust nothing but your senses..."

CNR Laboratory, Ceres
Feb 2nd, 2398
13:47 GMT

Avis-Mergulus AKA Anton "Tosha" Teremnoi

[4] Though you were not instructed just how to swap, the mere confirmation of the thought causes the software to rapidly shift your consciousness into the expendable unit. After a brief flash and some disorientation, you prepare yourself to act quickly.

[1+1] Running the expendable body out into the hall, you trip on your clawed feet and fall to the ground into a prone position. The gunman begins to fire controlled bursts out of his rifle--a Garamond M38, by the sound of it. 30 rounds to a magazine. Harsh recoil. He won't be able to fire it for long. However, you are hit in the shoulder almost immediately as you rise to your feet, sending a sharp jolt of pain down your spine--although it doesn't hurt enough to be debilitating. You imagine the scenario panning out inside your head, hoping that the body will follow your orders even after you swap out.

{d7: 5} ((curly braces indicate enemy roll)) The expendable unit attracts a total of seven bursts before it falls, giving you time to dash toward the gunman with your commander unit {d7: 7} and almost reach him with the knife before he puts your commander out of action with a single shot to the eye at point blank. Your knife falls to the ground and your consciousness is transferred to the camera in the corner of the room.

A female voice comments on your performance: "An interesting tactic, taking offensive action to eliminate the threat. However, killing him was not your goal. You took an unnecessary risk and paid the price, being at a severe equipment disadvantage. Still, a formidable performance."

The gunman snaps into a saluting position and holds it perfectly still--not unlike your robotic units--as you wait for something new to happen. You begin to get a strange feeling, something you can only describe to yourself as growing a new pair of eyes. You find that you can swap to any of the cameras in the other chambers and observe the action there.

darkpaladin109 AKA David "Pirate Dave" Smith

((Skipped roll because I want to be finished for the night. I'll make up for it by giving you two actions next turn instead of one. :P))

Samarkand AKA Felicia Hasting

[3] You swap to the other body and, after regaining your composure due to slight disorientation, pull the lever. The room goes dark immediately, although you can still see the wall and floor in a deep green hue and the ceiling (with the lights still warm) as a bright white. This is most likely thermal vision. Your commander unit is on the other side of the hall, outlined in deep blue due to IFF.

You hear words shouted from within the hall: "It's dark! I can't see!

[4] You casually swap and pull the lever. The lights go out, and your vision switches to thermal. The gunman shouts from inside the hall: "It's dark! I can't see!"

Chromatic Wasp AKA Chandler Davis

You can recall the doctor telling you that you weren't going to kill anyone. You contemplate your actions for a moment, then consider that perhaps the gunman is an illusion of sorts, or merely an android. Why would they be risking human lives? What if your commander exploded?

Still, not to take too much of a risk, you briefly glance over the edge (+2 defense) and prepare your throw. {9} [6] The gunman seems to wait for you to move, and then fires at your arm as you throw the blade. The bullet and the knife collide with each other mid-air, and despite the knife having far less kinetic energy than the bullet, both explode harmlessly into a shower of fragments that peppers the floor with lead dust and broken steel.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2014, 07:34:28 am »

-Damn. Well, I'm out. I'm... not very good at this stabbing people thing.
Anton sighs.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2014, 09:05:07 am »

Ha-ha! Pulling levers works! WORKS!
Rush forward with my expendable body, stop right in front of commander. Then switch to commander and use willingless expendable body as a shield, holding it in front of me, and rush forward to alcove.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 09:12:50 am by Comrade P. »
Sigs

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 43