Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 43

Author Topic: The Cloud - One Small Step...  (Read 39103 times)

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
Re: The Cloud - Introduction
« Reply #300 on: April 24, 2014, 12:18:41 pm »

((Aaaah, I'm finally aware what thу whole team is doing again. I kinda lost track back to science base.))

- Enceladus. Let's go there. We mine iron - we make bodies - we make weapons - we get everything else via looting human settlements. Then possibly we could try to mess with that nanoplague mentioned.
"I'll agree that Enceladus will work. I think we might want to consider more carefully our approach to human settlements, but we can discuss that when we have resources to do anything. As for the nanoplague, that scares me primarily given our understanding of your clone. It seems to me that exposing our bodies to the nanoplague may just be offering them weapons. They could wrench control away from us. But again, that's a conversation we can have when we have resources."
My Area

It's it's its, not it's, not its its, not it's.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: April 24, 2014, 01:53:43 pm »

-
((Aaaah, I'm finally aware what thу whole team is doing again. I kinda lost track back to science base.))

- Enceladus. Let's go there. We mine iron - we make bodies - we make weapons - we get everything else via looting human settlements. Then possibly we could try to mess with that nanoplague mentioned.
"I'll agree that Enceladus will work. I think we might want to consider more carefully our approach to human settlements, but we can discuss that when we have resources to do anything. As for the nanoplague, that scares me primarily given our understanding of your clone. It seems to me that exposing our bodies to the nanoplague may just be offering them weapons. They could wrench control away from us. But again, that's a conversation we can have when we have resources."

- Agreed. We possibly could even nuke'em with erzats-nuclear weapons we could possibly manufacture from nuclear fuel on Enceladus.
Then we are decided. Who drives this vessel? Anton? Alexander? Let's head to Enceladus and get ourselves some recources.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 01:59:02 pm by Comrade P. »
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: April 24, 2014, 09:01:05 pm »

The computer automatically detects agreement and starts the autopilot.

Target set: Enceladus, Saturn
Current Propellant: 100%
Current DeltaV Budget: 5163478 m/s
Mission Budget: 5292 m/s (0.1237 % of total)
Next Launch Window: 4m 41s (immanent)
Mission Time: 3d, 16h

...Checks complete. Calculating thrust burns.
Course set! Prepare for transit.

((Atomic Rockets is my best friend right now.))

Einstein's Cross, Low Orbit, Titan
Friday, Feb 6th, 2398
20:02 GMT

DATABANK

Current Inventory:
Voxels: 4000
Water: 32206 tons

Cloud Catalog: Type (% produced) - Cost
Standard Nanite (100%) - 1 Voxel, 1 Circuits

The ship comes to an orbit around the icy moon. The computer takes its time to scan the surface, using the ship's observation suite to pinpoint regions of mining activity. It appears you are not alone here, although for now all the action is happening outside of your reach. It's important to remember, however, that if you can see a vessel, they can most likely see you.

Proximity Log Updated!
Spoiler: Proximity (click to show/hide)

Samarkand AKA Felicia Hasting
Spoiler: Skills (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Cloud Status (click to show/hide)

It seems that one of the six habitat ring segments is dedicated entirely to hydroponics! Chemicals are stored locally, although the main supplies are in the cargo hold and storage units within the main hull.

[2] The crops are dying out due to disease. You have seeds to replace them and automated systems to perform the task with, but human hands might be able to deal with the disease better.

The Froggy Ninja AKA David "Dave" Steel

[4] You scrounge about the cargo bay and find your optical attachment and Cloud replenisher! While the replenisher is inferior to the ship's internal factory, it will prove useful once you are able to construct a body.

Avis-Mergulus AKA Anton "Tosha" Teremnoi

Tanker seems to be entirely automated, with the physical controls in the habitat ring reserved for emergencies. While digging around, you find a sketch of the ship, although it's unlabeled. The habitat ring is most likely drawn as a cross-section. The sketch also seems to be missing radiators, which must then be able to be packed up and deployed at will.

Spoiler: Snip (click to show/hide)

Perhaps Wasp can be piloted in a more conventional scheme. It seems the craft can be radio-controlled, although you may get some lag or even a lack of control in some cases. Perhaps transferring your bodies and transmitters onto Wasp would be prudent when lag-time is unacceptable or when communications fail. Or in the case of emergency.

Comrade P. AKA Hamilton Teromo

During the trip, you identified weapons systems and got yourself familiar with how to control them. Wasp has a small laser turret mounted on a swivel turret below the cockpit, as well as four missile tubes. Tanker has two missile batteries mounted on the supports of the Habitat Ring. Each can hold ten missiles and can be loaded with warheads or small drones and exploration units.

Wasp's weaponry is a bit impractical to use in ship-to-ship combat, as Tanker sports a large meteor shield that extends over Wasp's nose and protects it while docked. The laser turret may still fire to the side of the ship and below, however.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 06:44:16 pm by _DivideByZero_ »
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: April 24, 2014, 09:44:15 pm »

"I'm going to get this hydroponics system working again, then I'd like to get down to the surface for a look around. That mining operation needs to be covertly identified. Additionally, I think we should keep an eye on that battle. If our diagnostics are right and they blow each other up we can salvage parts, which is for now much easier than buying them."

Diagnose and treat disease. During this process keep seeds at least one airlock away from the plants.
My Area

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: April 25, 2014, 02:25:36 am »

((Just a note, I found an excel spreadsheet which can be used to calculate transit times and fuel costs between the moons of Saturn, although I had to input the data for the eight major moons manually. Of course, since our ship has ludicrously high delta V, it's basically irrelevant to you guys since you won't be running out of fuel any time soon. Still, !!science!!

If anyone is interested, it's based on this sheet downloaded from Atomic Rockets))

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: April 25, 2014, 10:16:37 am »

"Computer, ((I'm assuming these battle statistics are coming from the ship computer yes?)) display combat statistics if we were to enter on the side of the cargo ship."
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 11:09:43 am by The Froggy Ninja »

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: April 25, 2014, 10:54:32 am »

Try to take a closer look at the battle of pirates and cargo vessel. Look at it carefully, and be ready to point all the guns at them.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: April 25, 2014, 11:54:03 am »

"Computer, ((I'm assuming these battle statistics are coming from the ship computer yes?)) display combat statistics if we were to enter on the side of the cargo ship."

The following text comes up:
Predicted Conflict:
-1x Pirate Battleship (22% Success Probability)
vs
-1x Neutral Cargo Shipper (46% Success Probability)
-Einstein's Cross (11% Success Probability)
PREDICTED OUTCOME: MUTUAL LOSSES LIKELY

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: April 25, 2014, 12:47:48 pm »

"Those odds are terrible. Lets not get involved except in scavenging."
My Area

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: April 25, 2014, 01:26:20 pm »

"Those odds are terrible. Lets not get involved except in scavenging."
- Agreed, once again. Especially on the scavenging part.
Sigs

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: April 25, 2014, 02:49:29 pm »

-Trust me, I'm a do-...er, pilot. Anybody who's up for a foray should get into Wasp. I'll be landing it, just let me check our gear first.

Pick a good free place to land Wasp, then go check our prospecting equipment.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: April 25, 2014, 05:25:26 pm »

To the wasp!
((Also what bodies are we in?))

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: April 25, 2014, 07:50:55 pm »

To the wasp!
((Also what bodies are we in?))

((You currently lack bodies, as the doctor couldn't haul them across the ground safely.
I'll chalk it up to the pods having wheels.))

Inventory Complete! Listing Storage...

Current Inventory:
Voxels: 4000
Water: 31999/32000 tons (DeltaV: 4220.238 km/s)

Total Ship Mass: 18000 + 31999 + (4000)

Structural Materials: Aluminum, Steel, Titanium Alloy, Polymers, Carbon Fiber

Construction Catalog:
Transmitter Unit (Needed for commander bodies) - 5 Circuits.
Engineer Body - 50 Voxels, 5 Circuits, 10 Steel, 10 Polymers
Mining Drone (Can be tasked to Mining Rig for increased production. Can also explore caves.) - 80 Voxels, 5 Circuits, 10 Structural Materials, 2 Steel
Mining Rig (Automated. Can be left on a planet.) - 80 Voxels, 35 Circuits, 50 Structural Materials, 15 Steel

Cloud Catalog: Type (% produced) - Cost
Standard Nanite (100%) - 100 Voxels, 10 Circuits

Cloud Storage: (Max 3000%)
-0% Standard Nanites

Wasp has two rovers onboard. One is old and nonfunctional according to logs. It can be salvaged for 500 Scrap and 100 Circuits, or it can be repaired for 3000 Voxels.
The other rover is equipped with sample analyzing tools, a set of cameras, solar panels (which aren't useful here and can be removed), and a robotic arm for manipulation.

Wasp itself can deploy an automated mining platform. The platform is located in Tanker's external bay and requires Wasp to first collect it in orbit (chance of catastrophic failure). One the platform is deployed on the surface, it will filter out resources from the planet's surface and collect them based on their abundance on the body. Ice will not be mined, as that is for the three fuel miner probes attached to Tanker's surface.

Enceladus has a fairly smooth surface. You are free to land either away from or near one of the unidentified mining sites.

Trajectory Plot Complete!
Uploading Plot... Done! ((All credit to CuriousMetaphor from Reddit! I have the travel times between moons on a spreadsheet. For future reference: Travel between planets requires a lot of fuel, but is faster than a standard orbital transfer. You don't need to spend 30 years going to Neptune.))
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 12:19:34 am by _DivideByZero_ »

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: April 25, 2014, 08:04:22 pm »

((What happened with my plant action BTW?))
My Area

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: April 25, 2014, 08:09:56 pm »

((That was not a roll. It's just information.))
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 43