Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: cakies:what the hell are they and where are mine?  (Read 6498 times)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
cakies:what the hell are they and where are mine?
« on: August 15, 2001, 08:19:00 pm »

been playing alot of unrealworld recently, waiting for armok. new version of it includes the building of cottages and saunas, so that got me thinking about armok construction of houses, would you have to build the house (building,dwelling,vomitroium, whatever) brick by brick or would it be some sort of interface where it would take a approxomite amount of time based on facts of size, complexity, people working on it, tool avalibility (maybe the imbiciles never figured out the complexities of a hammer and are bashing nails in with logs which have to be replaced frequently) another thing, maybe starting equipment should be limited to what your race (or region your in, or even starting scenario, more on that last one later) like a draven chap (whos soon to be smitten by me, short ax wielding cave dwelling oafs) woul be more likely to be swinging an ax at materielizing water golem than a elven long sword. now about them scenarios, another thing from UrW i liked, you could chose difrent scenarios when you begain, with a little backround with it, like why your doing what your doing, also, each of them was a small tutorial type dealy, so i guess thatd skull drag knowladge into some of the newer bunch to rougelikes. how this deals with equipment? well for example theres an escaped slave scenario (ripped STRAIGHT from UrW) your only going to have basic clothes, few or NO things that can be used as weapons, a no supplies for escaping, oh no, time to use my brain, and possibly learn about chain of command and subordinates/giving orders. since people are more thanlikely going to be stupid to start with in armok, would i be able to introduce basic technology to them such as steam power and the like? or if there to dumb ill just beat sense into there heads (literally, no skull will go unckracked) i really wanna see a zombie smashed to smallerzombie bits due to a steam powered speeding train.... and i want to tie him up with his own intestines!

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: cakies:what the hell are they and where are mine?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2001, 08:50:00 am »

I think the building construction system will be somewhere in between the two methods you describe.  While it would be nice from a realism perspective to force every brick to be placed (with enough abstraction so as not to be boring), it would be very difficult for the game to determine what you are trying to build, and what constitutes a stable structure.  There will probably be something like "Construction Plans" for components of structures that tell the game what needs to be done and what a structure looks like at various phases (this will apply to item construction as well, probably).  Then you'll have to do those things in order (not necessarily manually -- that could get tedious), and then it will figure in labor, resources, complexity, etc.  With the construction plans, we have the advantage of having half-built structures that actually look like half of what is trying to be built, instead of some cheesy "under construction" icon.

Back when I started, I put a lot of scenario types on the future page.  While I probably won't have explicit scenarios, pretty much the same setup will be generated by the player's history.  If your history says you are most recently an escaped slave, then you'll start like one.  If you are still living in the culture that you started in, you will start with cultural (heavily influenced by race) equipment, but if your history has you away from the culture for a while, then you might have foreign items.

You will be able to introduce technology to other cultures -- we need teaching (for trainers etc.), and if you teach someone a skill/knowledge that is unknown within the culture that is technological in nature, well there you go!  They'd still have to develop infrastructure, and that might get tricky in game terms, but they'll have to be able to handle that for other reasons (their explorers happen upon some kind of new resource, etc.).

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!