Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Gun Francisco (conworld) - deviantArt, attention split etc.  (Read 10981 times)

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
Gun Francisco (conworld) - deviantArt, attention split etc.
« on: March 10, 2014, 10:00:41 am »

Basically I am just going to be storing all my ideas, concepts arts and other wumbo-jumbo (maybe even prototypes if I stop being lazy and learn to code :P) in relation to a game I've been brainstorming recently.

Anyway, what is this game about, you may ask?
I tried to make this post like 5 times before, but something kept distracting me.

For those who care, this game ain't be dead yet.
Granted, it didn't have a life to begin with, but it is not to be forgotten. Not now.

And it has a name now, too!
Gentleladies, men, dwarves and everyone else, I totally present to you...
GUN FRANCISCO

Why Gun Francisco, you might ask? Why make fun out of one the bigger cities in North America and turn it into a title for a video game that may not even come out within the next 5 years?
Well, let me give you a little bit of an insight into the game plot...

After the Nuclear War, Earth was left in a state of chaos, destruction and anarchy - mutants roaming the frozen and dry wastelands alike, fighting for supplies, land and power.
In the wastes of North America, three races fight among and within each other for dominance of the continent - the mighty Frogs, the crafty humans and the elusive Birdfolk, are all locked in a bloody war stretching over the entirety of the United States and Canada (or what's left of them).

The war seems to have reached an ultimate stalemate when great amounts of energy, radiation and other suspicious anomalies are detected in the ruined San Francisco - and everyone is willing to do everything to get there first to claim it, turning the war into a deadly race to the city that knows how.

Gun Francisco is waiting. But your enemies are not.

So there you have it, Gun Francisco in a nutshell - follow the story of humans, frogs or birds in their hard struggle to reach San Francisco, in one piece, and conquer it for yourself.

In essence, it's a 2D retro-styled (read: pixel art) sidescrolling shooter set in a post-apocalyptic world where humans, frogs and storks try to fight for the domination of the dry, frozen and sunken wastelands, using a (not-so) wide variety of weapons, equipment and mutating new powers on the fly. In storks' case, literally.
Jumping, running, gunning, wall-jumping, crouching, dashing, it's all here to spice up the gameplay.

While ideally it would be a mostly online game, a singleplayer campaign may and probably would happen first.

Before the game starts, the player can customize their loadout that they're going to be heading out into battle. The customization options are as follows:
- race (human/frog/stork; more info about them below)
- primary weapon (dual SMGs/shotgun/sniper rifle)
- melee weapon (shovel/knife/spear)
- explosive weapon (grenades/cherry bombs/mines)
- utility (not guaranteed - teleporter/health pack/sentry gun)

As well as 3 primary weapon upgrades, 3 melee weapon upgrades, 2 explosive weapon upgrades and 5 character mutations. (numbers not final)

After the player has chosen their loadout (possibility of a save system for quick loadout management) they can then head into battle against other players online or play a mission in the campaign.

The campaign would follow the fates of the three races in the struggle for survival in the harshest times the Earth has been through yet.

What are those races you might ask?
Spoiler: Races (click to show/hide)
Now that you know the general overview of the post-apocalyptic world (sorta) and how each of the races plays, I can get into more specific regarding gameplay.

Remember when I've mentioned weapon upgrades and mutations?
Before you start a game/mission and pick a weapon, you'll be presented with a list of upgrades that you have unlocked (by playing through the campaign/completing achievements/playing online) for that particular weapon. You can then choose a few specific upgrades and see their overview, which will be then available for you to purchase in the shop/find once the game starts. All upgrades would be equally viable and not mutually exclusive (although each weapon has a specific set of upgrades that cannot be used on other weapons), letting you mix and match to suit your playstyle.

Want to run and gun and not have to worry about anything but making sure that your enemy stays dead? Pick SMGs with Extended Magazines. Too many enemies, not enough bullets? Explosive/Piercing Bullets, yo. Want something fancier? How about Homing Bullets?
Or maybe combine all of those and become a killing machine...Assuming you have the money for it. And how do you get money? You can find some randomly in the maps, by killing enemies and capturing objectives.

What about mutations, you ask?
Well, you might already be a mutant (unless you're a human), but that doesn't mean you can't be changed further. By collecting Radiation (which you a gain a small amount of passively) from killed enemies and also certain areas of the maps, you'll be able to choose one out of 5 mutations you have picked before the game. (Mutation = Experience)
Those mutations can vary from increased movement speed and health to gaining an ability to stick to walls to gaining health back when attacking enemies.
Spoiler: Weapons (click to show/hide)

And now, a lot of concept art, some of which you might've already seen.
Spoiler: Sketches & other art (click to show/hide)

Keep checking back for more! (in fact, I'll be adding some extras today, since most of those were made at school)

Yes, this is all very conceptual right now, but I don't think I have a clear enough vision yet to start a reasonable gameplay prototype yet (I probably should though), but I dunno.
I'm a one-man company, its head developer and simulatenously its Idea Guy. (well kinda, at least I can art semi-properly) :P

Well, at worst I have Game Maker Studio license that I have never really bothered to use (last time I used GameMaker it was v7, lol), but apparently this thing is getting a shitton of flak, so...

« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 07:30:46 am by DarkDXZ »

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
Re: Unnamed Post-Apocalypse Game - concepts & arts
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 11:18:54 am »

Honestly I expected at least some sort of response but at the same time I don't really have anything worthy of note beyond my random drawings, so...
Anyway, have some more sketches that should look progressively better due to my improved drawing technique (not reinventing the wheel here, pencil sketch&shadows -> pen outlines -> pencil shadows), so I guess this is kinda-sorta my art blog thread of sorts.
And I still refuse to draw anything at home. Too calm, apparently.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also a gameplay pre-alpha-prototype-demo may or may not be coming soon, seeing as I have a friend (or two, really) who are more competent with GM than me.

Another thing that popped into my head was to make a DF mod based on this kinda-rough universe (Frog Fortress, anyone?)...
Would anyone be up for that? No promises, as always, but it's never a bad idea to see if there's interest.

PlayingGood

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok's laugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 11:26:12 am »

That sounds seriously fun man, reminds me alittle of Soldat.

Played the hell out of that game years ago.

PTW

Will you try to make it multiplayer?
*Create potion of immortality*
*Potion Created! Drink potion*
*Immortality gained!*
*You have lost your soul!*

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 11:38:40 am »

That sounds seriously fun man, reminds me alittle of Soldat.

Played the hell out of that game years ago.

PTW

Will you try to make it multiplayer?

Funny that you mention Soldat, it might have been one of the influences, since I loved that game to death.
Bonus points because it's a Polish game (which I found out about only recently), so...

And while the primary goal is a multiplayer experience, I doubt I could get something that's both smooth and isn't terribly boring (since half-decent netcode is not something exactly easy), singleplayer would probably come first if I did happen to get something reasonable going.

Also at this point I don't know if I should still be calling the birds "storks" because even for post-apocalyptic standards they aren't really storks anymore.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 01:55:04 pm »

I tried to make this post like 5 times before, but something kept distracting me.

For those who care, this game ain't be dead yet.
Granted, it didn't have a life to begin with, but it is not to be forgotten. Not now.

And it has a name now, too!
Gentleladies, men, dwarves and everyone else, I totally present to you...
GUN FRANCISCO

Why Gun Francisco, you might ask? Why make fun out of one the bigger cities in North America and turn it into a title for a video game that may not even come out within the next 5 years?
Well, let me give you a little bit of an insight into the game plot...

After the Nuclear War, Earth was left in a state of chaos, destruction and anarchy - mutants roaming the frozen and dry wastelands alike, fighting for supplies, land and power.
In the wastes of North America, three races fight among and within each other for dominance of the continent - the mighty Frogs, the crafty humans and the elusive Birdfolk, are all locked in a bloody war stretching over the entirety of the United States and Canada (or what's left of them).

The war seems to have reached an ultimate stalemate when great amounts of energy, radiation and other suspicious anomalies are detected in the ruined San Francisco - and everyone is willing to do everything to get there first to claim it, turning the war into a deadly race to the city that knows how.

Gun Francisco is waiting. But your enemies are not.

So there you have it, Gun Francisco in a nutshell - follow the story of humans, frogs or birds in their hard struggle to reach San Francisco, in one piece, and conquer it for yourself.

RiordanIX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gun Francisco - concepts & arts, now with 100% more names and plot
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 01:37:08 pm »

I like the sound of it. Why 5 years though?

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2014, 02:58:51 pm »

I like the sound of it. Why 5 years though?

That was just a random number. Although all things told it's also the most realistic, given that I've just began high school (and it lasts 4 years, and is mostly IT-oriented).

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2014, 04:15:01 pm »

While I've been continuing to sketch the races and other random shenanigans some more, there isn't anything really worth scanning my notebooks for, but I have something else.

A very early concept pixelart of a bird airship (in the campaign mode, these would be the primary birds of the birds, and would be the only ones with an ability move, unlike human fortresses and frog vaults).
Yay, it has zero details and has some copy-pasted cloned birds all over it, woo! Then again, we aren't even talking about an alpha (or any game at all), much less beta, here, so...

100% and 600% version in the spoiler below.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 04:28:52 pm by DarkDXZ »

RiordanIX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2014, 01:22:30 pm »

Dang, this makes me feel old. I'm 25 and just starting my programming and video game making career/hobby.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2014, 02:21:32 pm »

Dang, this makes me feel old. I'm 25 and just starting my programming and video game making career/hobby.

17 here.

Also I've been sketching some concepts for two more races, sharks and ants, which would be different from other races in the sense that their unique traits would be less focused on mobility and more on other things (ants could possibly dual wield two weapons at once, while sharks...I don't know. They'd probably have some melee focus, though.), but at the same time I don't know how'd they tie into the plot. (then again, that plot is open enough that I could include aliens here for all I care and know and get away with it reasonably)

But, I will try to keep the amount of weapons/races/traits relatively low to avoid the feature creep issue. (I can already see ants being overpowered with two weapons of the same type, so even if I did implement them I would have to do some big-time balancing...)

I may upload them, alongside others (it's probably more convenient to make one big sketch dump at once every week instead of uploading a few doodles daily or bi-daily), but for now, I think I'll focus a little more on the traits/mutations/upgrades, since I've largely ignored them, I feel.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2014, 10:21:03 am »

Heeey, I made a fancy-shmancy logo, featuring a completely terrible font! YAY! (the ruined Golden Gate is here to stay tho, but expect me to change the font in the future)

What else have I done, apart from this kinda-meh title?
Ants.

Those subterranean mutants possess the ability to dual-wield two weapons at once, making them really deadly. They can also walk on vertical surfaces if they so desire.
Therefore they would probably not be playable, at least not right off the start.

Why are they important, you may ask?
Well, they are the ones who got to San Francisco before any other race via their underground tunnels, and therefore when you reach the city, you will not only have to fight the other races that were racing to get here, but also the ants.
Ants in power armor.

(even though I made them look kinda like mecha-ants...)

And now apart from their two sets of arms to gun you down with, they can fly with their jetpacks and are much tougher thanks to, well, their thick armor.
Essentially, they turn from regular mooks to miniature bosses simply by being faster while the other races were fighting among each other trying to get to San Fran'. Dunno how that's gonna work out.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Re: Gun Francisco - concepts & arts, now with a proper title
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2014, 10:55:23 am »

Looks neat. The storks don't really look like storks though. But those frogs are cute as all heck! :D

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2014, 01:16:25 pm »

Looks neat. The storks don't really look like storks though. But those frogs are cute as all heck! :D

I know they're not exactly storks anymore, but they look the closest to storks, so that's what they're called for now.
I might just simplify it to birds though, since for all you know there might be others kinds of birds in their society... ;)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2014, 01:19:25 pm »

Yeah, for all I know. :p

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
Re: Gun Francisco - concepts & arts, now with a proper logo
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2014, 06:49:29 pm »

Hey.
Maybe I cannot make proper games, but Gun Francisco now has a forum game! Check it out.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6