Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11

Author Topic: Do donuts need to have holes to be classified as donuts  (Read 19784 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Do donuts need to have holes to be classified as donuts
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2014, 11:13:13 am »

Personally I love custard donuts (right after apple fritters, which I don't really consider donuts but always get sold with them).

And IMO donut holes are a very specific relative of donuts, similar to the mini powdered donuts.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2014, 11:15:20 am »

They are a gimmicky donut for sure, but still totally a donut, imo. (donut holes, not fritters)

Fritters... they have donut as an ingredient but I would not call fritters themselves donuts at all.

And on the language thing, note that while New England English is closer to traditional English, many other American dialects are... well, significantly further away than British English is. America is a big place with a lot of variation!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2014, 11:15:46 am »

But they are nothing compared to the pure delicious of lemon-like-gel-substance-filled donuts. Mmmmm....
The best thing I've ever done to a donut was cut a plain glazed one in half (long ways, basically like a bagel.), and then stick each half on top of a slice of pizza and microwave it a few seconds. Donut pizza was glorious. One of these days I'm going to sugar glaze me a pizza.

I do generally prefer non-filled ones, though. Filled ones... it's hard to get one that's, like, well balanced. Most of stuff's centralized in the center of the donut, rather than spread out more equally, which I kinda'... well, dislike isn't the right word, because I will still sit down and eat like a dozen+ if I let myself, but like less. Delicious filling should be spread to all parts of the joynut, so that each bite is one of equal sugary splendor.

Which does remind me I've never actually used a donut like a bagel before. Gonna' have to get my hands on an oversized donut and make a sammich out of it. I... I also have never toasted a donut, now that I think about it. My culinary future suddenly has goals.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2014, 11:17:12 am »

Bah. Next you'll be telling me churros count as donuts... >:(
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2014, 11:20:42 am »

First line of wikipedia:
A churro, sometimes referred to as a Spanish doughnut

But nah, not really, donuts aren't crunchy or piped and the dough used is totally different. :P

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2014, 12:44:42 pm »

I feel that donuts are a subgroup of pastries, meaning things like fritters, churros, and turnovers are different, primarily because of the end texture of the pastry. As I have just eaten a donut I feel that I have acquired a small amount of temporary expertise on the subject - a thinning in the metaphorical membrane separating man- and donut-kind.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2014, 12:45:56 pm »

As I have just eaten a donut I feel that I have acquired a small amount of temporary expertise on the subject - a thinning in the metaphorical membrane separating man- and donut-kind.

Sigged.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2014, 05:25:27 pm »

Professional and personal donut baker here. In answer to the question: No.

My personal favorite is this sour creme-based drop donut that I make on my own time (because obviously I don't make enough of them at work). The temperature of the oil is set closer to on old fashioned, and they aren't shaped before they're dropped into the oil. They seem closer in size and shape to a donut hole than a donut, but everyone still calls them a donut. If they aren't calling them delicious. :3

I really need to experiment with filling them.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2014, 05:41:13 pm »

Can we at least agree that custard doughnuts are terrible though?
No.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Erils

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2014, 05:51:50 pm »

A geometric "doughnut" or any "doughnut" in math must have a hole in it.

If we are talking about names in cultures and food, there aren't really many rules. Some countries even call white chocolate a chocolate instead of a candy even though it has no chocolate liquor in it, just cacao butter.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2014, 06:51:28 pm »

And on the language thing, note that while New England English is closer to traditional English, many other American dialects are... well, significantly further away than British English is. America is a big place with a lot of variation!
I believe he was referring to the American/British English spelling split (which originated with the publication of the first major dictionaries; modern British English is more or less in line with Johnson's spellings, American English with Webster's).

Though on the subject of dialects, if my memory serves, Appalachian dialects are actually quite similar to Elizabethan-era English. Also, the classic "Southern drawl" is derived from the speech habits of the British nobility a few centuries ago; the proto-middle-class wealthy families that owned those plantations tended to imitate the nobility, as was often the case for the moneyed but untitled in those days, and that happened to stick.

Of course it's also somewhat of a moot point, because there isn't really such a thing as "true" English in the historical sense; once you go back farther than the early-modern stuff (place it at c. 1500 CE, more or less), it's pretty much unrecognizable. Old English is functionally a foreign language, and in some respects is farther from modern English than the modern Romance languages are from each other. Middle English was a radical transformation of the language (paralleling socio-political events of the time), and the transition into what we can consider "modern" English during the English Renaissance is arguably just as significant a change. In functional terms, the English of the days of Henry VIII is scarcely more alien to modern English speakers than the various dialects of the former British Empire. The primary difference is that we confuse poor schoolchildren by forcing them to study it without any explanation of the language or of the historical context or references of what they're reading.

But yes, according to the linguists and scholars who study Elizabethan-era England who I have spoken with, if you want to know what Londoners sounded like, Appalachia isn't a poor starting point. o.0

Now what was this thread about?

Oh, yes. Donuts need holes, and they don't count if they have a nasty filling; those are called "rubbish". Ones with good filling are pretty much just pastries in the generic sense, no need to make them out to be something they aren't.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2014, 07:07:37 pm »

^ This guy knows what's up.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2014, 07:26:24 pm »

A geometric "doughnut" or any "doughnut" in math must have a hole in it.
Are we going the math route? Let's go the math route.

Stereotypical donuts are toroids. You'll notice, however, that a torus with an axis of revolution that approaches zero degenerates into a 2-sphere, which for our purposes is functionally a sphere (second pic on the right). Or in this case, a donut hole. Even better, a torus where the axis of revolution is less than the radius of the circle is a spindle torus (sixth pic on the right), which can be seen to include a space in the middle that could possibly hold filling. Some sort of mathematically-exact custard, perhaps.

So yes, the variations all count. Quod Erat Doughnut.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2014, 07:34:20 pm »

So yes, the variations all count. Quod Erat Doughnut.
Hear hear!
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2014, 07:35:17 pm »

Note: originally doughnuts where spiral to aid in even cooking.

The food ones atleast.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11