Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 172

Author Topic: Demongate: Wrapping up the Loose Ends.  (Read 672633 times)

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Demongate: There Are No Heroes
« Reply #1245 on: June 03, 2014, 01:55:33 am »

Gnora's Journal
County
--
Vlad was just promoted to a count; this is a joke, but I ain't laughing. Though, that's what it is: a joke—ain't no other logical explanation. There's no way that that inbred bastard would be respected if they ever called him to the Mountainhome for one of those govermental meetings. The other nobles wou'd probably laugh him out of the fortress. In fact, he's probobly already the laughing-stalk of the capital. No other explanation.

Still, what am I gonna do here, where he actually holds sway? He's got more power, and I reckon he'll use it to mess with me even more than he has. Maybe he's planning to evict me from my bedroom too. Hell, he could expel me out of the fortress if he was in the mood. I'll need to stay quiet for now, and focus strikin' victorys from the sidelynes.

Helgard still ain't answering to my letters and suggestions that he ban sunshine. It'd be a minor victory, but it would still mess with Vlad and those damned bootlicks in the "evening prayurs." I reckon it might even effect their performance; the stuff's probly addictive.
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: June 03, 2014, 03:59:55 am »

I generally find that the best way to get people to get married is lock them in a room together with a decent supply of food. Of course, you don't get a wedding party if you do that, but sacrifices must be made.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: June 03, 2014, 07:47:25 am »

I generally find that the best way to get people to get married is lock them in a room together with a decent supply of food. Of course, you don't get a wedding party if you do that, but sacrifices must be made.

"Oh no, productivity!"

Eh, morale's high enough a party isn't worth it. Requesting Thane and Vlad being locked in a room?

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: June 03, 2014, 10:36:35 am »

Well, we'd have to think of a valid reason for doing so, like the mayor not liking Vlad interfering with his gypsum ring, or Gnora being angry and racist, or a hostile takeover of the forges. I can't really think of a situation that would require both of them to be locked up together aside from them being the most likely to make a fuss if the other one suddenly disappeared.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: June 03, 2014, 10:45:04 am »

Well, we'd have to think of a valid reason for doing so, like the mayor not liking Vlad interfering with his gypsum ring, or Gnora being angry and racist, or a hostile takeover of the forges. I can't really think of a situation that would require both of them to be locked up together aside from them being the most likely to make a fuss if the other one suddenly disappeared.

- Vladimir, have you thought that your military service is a very dangerous job? Demongate can't tolerate your death when there's no heir of you. From now on you and Thane should be kept locked at your quarters with enough suplies, untill you form your marriage oficially and conceive a heir. For the Greater Justice, be fruitful and multiply!
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #1250 on: June 03, 2014, 10:51:48 am »

Vlad just got a promotion based off the liaison seeing his genitals.
I think this is reason enough.

EDIT: The only mind control Vlad was under was the prevention of him leaving the burrow, right?
Also, am I the only one confused by Vlad right now? I started out intending to use him as comic relief/a healthy dose of ruthless pragmatism, yet now he's forced by circumstance to become competent/actually care about the dwarves under his authority. Bizarre stuff. I like it, just... not what I was expecting to do at all.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 07:45:42 pm by MDFification »

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: June 03, 2014, 07:16:26 pm »

Vlad just got a promotion based off the liaison seeing his genitals.
I think this is reason enough.

EDIT: The only mind control Vlad was under was the prevention of him leaving the burrow, right?

This, and only so he would meet with the liason before the caravan showed up. Having met with the second liason, he is now a free dwarf.

Because of the water freezing I’ve turned temperature back on. This cuts FPS to about 1/2 or worse.

Guildmaster’s Journal, 4th Opal 659

Today, the water froze over, which means the waterwheels over the brook are no longer functioning. Meanwhile, the aquifer power plant continues to provide 1200 Urists of power.

We’re going to have some difficulties finishing all the projects by the end of the year, so I will attempt to finish the most critical ones such as connecting up magma conduits and removing flooring first. That way nobody else is likely to screw them up.

Gnora came to me today and suggested that the production of a drink called “Sunshine” be banned. It seems the drink is distilled from Sun Berries, which grow in good-aligned regions and are popular among the elves. The drink is significantly more valuable than most others, even more valuable than whip wine. I’ll need to investigate whether the drink actually poses a health and safety risk, which should be by the end of the month.

Today, Brother Cornelius showed up and said one of his exceptional mudstone thrones he’d just finished was gone. He just finished making it in the mason’s shop, and when he came back with the next boulder it was gone. We seem to be suffering an epidemic of petty theft, it doesn’t seem like we have a kobold infestation or anything, and usually kobolds don’t make off with chairs. I’m putting a word in with Mayor Lolor and with Talonis Wolf, the Captain of the Guard about it.

This notice is found in the dining hall on 4th Opal

PETTY THEFT WARNING - 4th Opal 659

Citizens of Demongate
The fortress is currently suffering from an epidemic of petty theft.
Keep a close eye on your valuables and make sure you keep doors locked at all times.
Any suspicious activity should be reported to Talonis Wolf, Captain of the Guard.

Your mayor,
Lolor Boltscrows

P.S.
Party at the Granite Statue.
Extra booze for medical dwarves.

Guildmaster’s Journal, 5th Opal 659

As the notices that appeared yesterday have told everyone so far, there is a party going on at the granite statue.

That is, if you didn’t like the party also going on in the dining hall, where you would have to be to read the notice anyways.

Petty theft cases continued last night, with a diorite table also being pinched from the mason’s shop where Brother Cornelius was working. I think I’m going to post a guard there to find out what the hell is going on down there. I’m also going to get the next load of furniture he makes installed in the new Guildhouse, at least we will know where it is going.

I got a hold of the export agreement for next year’s caravan. Large gems have the highest price multiplier, and we can make some of those from rough glass. Powder has the second highest price multiplier, but I don’t think we will be exporting any of that. We can deal with the figurines and crowns, however.

I’ve decided that Talonis Wolf and one of our other legendary leatherworkers should go back and produce some leather coats and trousers for us, because we’ll need new items of clothing. I’m also ordering some more cloth robes.

The magma safe stone stockpile will now be taking mica, obsidian, olivine, and basalt as well as bauxite, quartzite, and petrified wood. We need to get more magma safe doors made! Brother Cornelius is beginning to tire of working with Mudstone.

Helgarde’s Personal Journal, 6th Opal 659

I thought the trouble was over, but it was not. There’s a really pungent smell along the hallway with my current rooms, along with the offices of the mayor and the baron. some kind of bitter, soapy smell. Someone’s up to something and I really don’t like it.

Helgarde’s Personal Journal, 11th Opal 659

The smell’s so bad I’m just going to finish up the obsidian fabricator and then check out what the hell is going on. Two areas are going to be smoothed up and then we’re going to connect up the magma.

Guildmaster’s Journal, 14th Opal 659

Spoiler: Mining works finished! (click to show/hide)

Today we finished mining work on the Obsidian fabricator! All that is left is to build some to hold the water for dumping on top of the magma, connect the system up to magma, connect the system up to water, and ensure the thing can be sealed and controlled properly by levers.

Spoiler: New Copper Coins (click to show/hide)

We completed a new run of coins for this year! The copper ones seem to have the most elaborate depiction of our history of the founding of a fortress over 500 years ago.

Spoiler: New Silver Coins (click to show/hide)

The silver coins carry the image of our civilisation, and an image of some puzzleboxes.

Spoiler: New Gold Coins (click to show/hide)

Finally the gold coins also carry the image of our civilisation, and a depiction of three dwarves. I think Vladimir Uristovitch might have been behind these.

Alright, next update is the WTF one. Both lore-wise and game-wise, all the stops are going to be pulled out.

Migrants, at this time of year?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 10:50:46 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: June 03, 2014, 08:11:34 pm »

Huzzah, updates!

Also if any cares to nominate more quotes? I'd like to reduce the percentage on the list that are mine. It comes off as kind of self-aggrandizing considering I maintain the list.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: June 04, 2014, 08:02:29 am »

Wait, I'm a planter now?
I should be making metal into armor, smelling metal fumes all day.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: June 04, 2014, 09:25:34 am »

Wait, I'm a planter now?
I should be making metal into armor, smelling metal fumes all day.
After the spiders I'd say your dorf has had enough fumes.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: June 04, 2014, 10:28:37 am »

Don't expect me to stay a planter when my turn rolls around.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: June 04, 2014, 11:41:17 am »

It might just be that there hasn't been much smelting work to do, so you've gained a lot of farm reload skills.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: June 04, 2014, 03:07:43 pm »

Where exactly have Shank and Asmoth been all this time? We're several years into the story, and they have been practically non-existent as of yet.
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: June 04, 2014, 03:37:12 pm »

Where exactly have Shank and Asmoth been all this time? We're several years into the story, and they have been practically non-existent as of yet.

I presume Shank is caught up in his disturbing, whirlwind romance/farm ownership with old Queen Brasswords. You know, ruling the Old World with an iron fist, that sort of thing.
Asmoth is probably doing science. We don't want to know the results.

Also, if we really want to force a bloodkin invasion; write a syndrome that transforms all goblins/elves/humans it comes into contact with into bloodkin (a percentage become thaumaturges perhaps?), and link that to a custom material boulder that evaporates at any temperature we're like to encounter. Force a siege (or several) using DFhack. Then, use DFhack to spawn the boulders inside their formations, transforming that siege into bloodkin.
Violates the no 3rd party software clause, but allows us to have our Bloodkin sieges. No regrets.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: June 04, 2014, 05:30:01 pm »

Asmoth's always been a pretty reactive force. She didn't even get involved in Steelhold politics until she was forced to and only took over when she was pretty much the only option. She's currently trying to improve on the Bloodkin, since they were meant to transcend dwarfkind rather than be a devouring force, so she doesn't really see them as any more than means to an end at the moment. This is something I wrote from her POV, but it didn't really work the way I wanted it to.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 172