Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 172

Author Topic: Demongate: Wrapping up the Loose Ends.  (Read 672954 times)

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Demongate: Petitioning for Legalisation of Gypsum Continues.
« Reply #1515 on: June 21, 2014, 02:18:07 pm »

so, in an alternate timeline, my crystal was indeed used-
*crunch*
oh.  Well that happened. 

I probably just set off every thaumometer or thaumometric array in the world with that burst...wait, no, most of the energy would have gone back in time...

Ah.  yes. here it was, an entry in a random diary: "but of course you can't change the symbol without changing the thing! everyone knows that! maybe i've been drinking too much?...nah."

Yep. there was a record of my power-after all, my powers changed the symbols without changeing the thing...as a side effect.  furthermore, it happened In the past.   It only lasted a couple days, which is why I didn't really notice it

I wasn't about to track down the diary's owner and tell them that humans didn't know that cause they couldn't see the symbol of things unless they utilized an extra-universal perspective, and that elves had a way of temporarily changeing the symbols...

The last time I talked about that stuff, the dwarves tried to burn me for witchcraft...
I got up and left after their third attempt to set fire to a pile of waterlogged driftwood. 

Timeline 1: Dan's sickness is caused by an amateur's attempt to cast fire without drawing upon demonic power.  They inadvertently tap into something else, something which is harmless enough on its own, but which doesn't mesh that well with dwarf fortress physics.  Dan's not the only one who gets sick in that world, merely the most sick. 

my crystal is taken to the place where that spell was cast, and shattered, releasing the counerspell, quarantining the original miscast.

But, apparently, dan getting sick is a "fixed point"...
TRANSITION:

So the laws of magic get rewritten ever so slightly, so that shamanistic magic sometimes conflicts with large quantaties of adamant magic...

timeline 2:

The spell is still mis-cast, but the worst of the effects are quarantined by a spell from the future.

However, the spell exerts an acute strain on the local fabric of spacetime, triggering a temporary change in the graphics.  The adamant barrier releases a large burst of power to compensate, triggering the magical software conflict between shamanistic power and adamant power.  said conflict looks so similar to the original pseudo-meta-balefire incident, I proceed to design the exact same treatment plan.  the final spell is triggered by sheer accident. 

What is NOT clear is why timeline 1 still exists...
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 02:20:43 pm by fractalman »
This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1516 on: June 21, 2014, 02:33:32 pm »

I'm starting to recall as to why Corley disliked the FractalEntity so.
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1517 on: June 21, 2014, 02:38:36 pm »

Heh. Don't worry, that's the last of my reality warping stunts for this fort.
This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: June 21, 2014, 02:41:35 pm »

Heh. Don't worry, that's the last of my reality warping stunts for this fort.
Unless of course Corley can convince Fractal to side with him. Granted, Corley is under the impression that the FractalEntity has a lot more control over his powers than his own journals reflect. Of course, I could be entirely misinterpreting their language.
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: June 21, 2014, 03:27:25 pm »

After looking at a lot of the forgotten beasts, my danger scale goes like this: Beneficial, Hilarious, Harmless, Negligible, Low, Medium, High, Dangerous, DEADLY, BEYOND DEADLY. Beneficial usually means the poison causes numbness only. There are a few FBs like that. Hilarious implies harmless, but with some funny twist. BEYOND DEADLY means the poison isn't deadly, but will leave the person suffering for the rest of their life.

Some overseer should make an FB trap, even if it just traps them in a room with a drawbridge. We might be able to use cave-ins to catch a webber FB to capture more of them.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 03:48:48 pm by TheFlame52 »

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1520 on: June 21, 2014, 05:49:49 pm »

Sounds like a lot of trouble to go to considering we know that if we ever tried to use a beast as a weapon against our enemies, either:
a) It would turn on us and kill us all
b) The enemies would drop it with a single shot to the brain
c) It would turn out that its deadly dust creates husks
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1521 on: June 21, 2014, 06:12:52 pm »

Who says we need to use them as weapons? Why can't we just put them in the Forgotten Zoo?

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1522 on: June 21, 2014, 06:37:31 pm »

It's mid-summer now. Nobody who got hit with the extract has suffered any longterm effects, despite the note on my door written in pus saying it's deadly. The problem is all the pus that's pooled at the very bottom of the stairwaterfall. It's starting to smell.
Preparations on making the spider into a bunker are underway and should be done before the end of this winter.
Two people and their three kids can survive on the supplies down here, as well as the farm plots and workshops.
Vlad is still unhappy but at least he's sane.
Currently, we have a little under 15.5k food, with more flowing in every day. Lots of beer. Lots of prepared meals.
Besides all this, nothing much has really happened.

danmanthedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: June 21, 2014, 06:42:11 pm »

"Hmm man this is getting hard to dissect these Forgotten ones... hmmm wonder If I could get some help with dissecting it. Harhhh I can't believe they shot the damn soul gem."

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1524 on: June 21, 2014, 07:51:47 pm »

Who says we need to use them as weapons? Why can't we just put them in the Forgotten Zoo?
We obtain something... and we... don't weaponize it? I'm afraid you're going to have to hand in your dwarf card.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1525 on: June 21, 2014, 07:57:16 pm »

We obtain something... and we... don't weaponize it? I'm afraid you're going to have to hand in your dwarf card.
I'm planning to weaponize the spider building somehow, just so you know.
It's a tad too small for siege weapons, though, but I can make it work somehow.
I could make it so it spews water when an internal lever is pulled.
It'd be really awesome if I could put tame GCS inside it and release them during a siege.
The things I can do.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: June 22, 2014, 06:39:31 am »

I found one of the slightly not fearsome forgotten beasts:

No gas or dust or bite or anything.
If it gets in, it'll be of low threat.

Senshuken

• Bay Watcher
  • Defend till the end.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: June 22, 2014, 07:27:09 am »

I found one of the slightly not fearsome forgotten beasts:

No gas or dust or bite or anything.
If it gets in, it'll be of low threat.

The best way to kill giant snails is to pour salt on...

...That bastard.
Cause every silver lining has a cloud, and it won't be alright on the night; There's nothing at the end of the rainbow and there's a tunnel at the end of the light!

danmanthedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: June 22, 2014, 09:15:18 am »

Ah to think another blob Forgotten one would come... Now I just need it's soul gem but how do I get it when the caverns are on lock down? Maybe that Thaum dwarf could help, *Takes out soul gem but instead of blue it's dark black* "Come to me little ones of annoyance!" *Out comes a few roachs* Arh I new the soul gem is losing power but at least I summened these little guys. "Now go find the thaum dwarf and bring him to me please."

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: June 22, 2014, 03:04:28 pm »

Picture of Dan talking to roaches:

Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 172