Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 172

Author Topic: Demongate: Wrapping up the Loose Ends.  (Read 671001 times)

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
Re: Demongate: Petitioning for Legalisation of Gypsum Continues.
« Reply #1560 on: June 27, 2014, 02:57:01 pm »

I guess so.
I'm surprised that it's still staining the floors, walls, buildings, and so on.
I'm also surprised no dwarf is complaining.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1561 on: June 27, 2014, 03:58:56 pm »

Thane's Journal, 1st of Granite, 662.

It's been a while since I've had an opportunity to write here, since a lot has been going on. A few weeks ago, I found the Overseer's corpse stuffed into a small hole. At first I thought it was a vampire, but I soon realised that something more sinister was at hand, as Fallen Angel (or someone who looked very like him) was still walking around, giving orders! I gathered a group of soldiers and confronted him with my evidence, but he seemed satisfied to leave his position without bloodshed. After that, my followers told me that our military coup was successful, doubtless due to it being completely unpredicted by everyone, especially me. So, after a decade, I appear to be back in charge of Demongate. Take that, self swinging sword guy!

In any case, I've almost immediately discovered several problems that I'm going to rectify as soon as possible:
- The room I dug out for our mayor ten years ago is full of boxes and barrels for some reason, and our mayor is complaining that he doesn't have an office.
- The rooms I dug for our eventual baron are also full of boxes and barrels, and there's someone squatting in the baronial bedrooms.
- After Helgarde finally got out of the king sized quarters, someone else decided that they'd move in.
- Someone decided to allow the aquifer to freely flow into our main stairway for some reason. As far as I can tell, the only solution that I can make for this is to tell the masons to build a wall and repeat that instruction every time they say "But water!"
- We have an Orwellian number of unburied corpses outside the fortress for no apparent reason.
- No offerings have been made to the capital in years. I'm surprised they haven't imposed sanctions on us yet.
- Someone's been screwing around with the Vault, digging another entrance to it.

In other news, several of our pets simultaneously dropped dead of old age. Melbil Atiskan has begun a mysterious construction which involves a rough clear tourmaline.

5th:
It appears that someone decided that because Vlad's office supplies aren't high enough quality, they would give him some statues made of steel, instead of just giving him an armour stand that isn't made of wood. Melting the statues down wouldn't give us enough steel to make it worthwhile, so I guess they'll have to stay. I'm still not happy about it though.

The miners are currently working on expanding the mausoleum in order to accommodate our newly-deads, and the rest of the fortress is working to tidy the place up. First up is our bodywear. Hopefully I'll be able to take care of one archetype of clothing per month, even if the concept of carrying two socks at once is alien to most dwarves. On a related note, we only have twenty seven breastplates for our thirty seven strong militia, and none of it is steel. A good portion of it seems to have been made by goblins as well, so I'm having most of it melted down once the smiths forge suitable replacements.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1562 on: June 27, 2014, 04:04:21 pm »

I don't think we should offer too much to the capital. After all, this is a fortress built for military/strategic purposes, not to become the new capital.
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1563 on: June 27, 2014, 04:15:23 pm »

I can't explain the first four things (they happened before I became overseer), but I'll explain the rest.

5. I was mostly sure that it wasn't an aquifer and was caused by the water sitting ABOVE where I dug. I was wrong.
6. First I ran out of coffins. Then we almost ran out of burial space. All those casualties from the waterfall add up to a crapload of corpses, you know. Most of them are babies, so no real harm done  :D
7. The capital is full of lazy slobs who send us crap every year. Too bad they're useful.
8. The vault's where coins are, right? If so, it wasn't me. I blame whoever was overseer before Flame.
9. I replaced his crappy furnishings in his bedroom, and decided he needed steel statues because there wasn't enough electrum to go around.

There. Stuff answered.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1564 on: June 27, 2014, 04:22:37 pm »

I guess I can't really complain about the corpses, since a mason just walled himself into the aquifer when he eventually sealed it off, and I'm not bothered getting him out.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1565 on: June 27, 2014, 04:27:51 pm »

Death happens.
Since we lost a lot of miners, you might see a random fishery worker carrying a pickaxe and mining at a slow speed.
We needed another miner and that dwarf was mostly useless.
You might need another mason. Masons are vital.
Choose a random person and tell them they're a mason now.

Rhaken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1566 on: June 27, 2014, 04:49:00 pm »

Hey Asmoth.

Tarmid wants to induct a couple of apprentices into the Order. They would be ordained as scribes and placed in his squad, to help Tarmid carry out some duties, like archiving and small research. To this end, the weapon rack in Gnora's office should be moved to an empty room across the hall, and the room should be made into the new barracks of the Scribes. Ideally, it should have a bunch of cabinets and not much else.

I'd also request that you move the gem windows in Gnora/Vlad's office into Tarmid's. Preferably, with the exact same gems, or at least one made entirely of bloodstone and another of wood opal. In-universe, they've been in Tarmid's office the whole time. I was just so brain-fried when I set them up that I put them in the wrong room.

Yes please? :D

Also, I find it kind of sad that Tarmid has lived here almost since day 1 and he still doesn't have any friends barring a pet rabbit.
Of course, he may have simply crushed the forgotten beasts with his massive testicles.

Forget a spouse, he needs a full time gonad wrangler.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1567 on: June 27, 2014, 06:41:34 pm »

I guess Tarmid could have a few new scribes since Thane's been a bit... inactive in that regard lately. Gem windows are being moved if they haven't been already, and Vlad now has his very own office that he doesn't have to share with the only person in the fortress who hates him. Though, doubtless him and Gnora sharing an office made for some wacky hijinks that we'll see on Demongate: The Sitcom.

In any case, Tarmid's three new scribes are Erith Asoboddom, Onul Tarallogem and Sazir Kangoden. Erith and Sazir both have amazing memories, while Onul has a deep well of patience.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 07:34:58 pm by Deus Asmoth »

CubeJackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1568 on: June 27, 2014, 07:41:05 pm »

I'd just like to drop in and say that I'm sorry for leaving the original Steelhold thread dead in the water. I had some RL obligations to tend to. On the other hand, however, I'm frankly amazed at what my humble attempt at a succession fort turned into. I'm so proud of you guys. ♥

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1570 on: June 28, 2014, 01:53:51 pm »

L8 M8.
Deus Asmoth is currently doing his turn, although it could totally enter the fort (I figured out how the last two managed it - the waterfall. FBs can swim, and the endless water flowing into the caverns lets them enter).

Rhaken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1571 on: June 28, 2014, 02:14:52 pm »

I'd just like to drop in and say that I'm sorry for leaving the original Steelhold thread dead in the water. I had some RL obligations to tend to. On the other hand, however, I'm frankly amazed at what my humble attempt at a succession fort turned into. I'm so proud of you guys. ♥

Thank you, Jackal, for setting us on the path. It's been a hell of ride.

L8 M8.
Deus Asmoth is currently doing his turn, although it could totally enter the fort (I figured out how the last two managed it - the waterfall. FBs can swim, and the endless water flowing into the caverns lets them enter).

Forgotten salmon. All of them.
Of course, he may have simply crushed the forgotten beasts with his massive testicles.

Forget a spouse, he needs a full time gonad wrangler.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1572 on: June 28, 2014, 02:36:23 pm »

There's no sign of Esru at the moment. The last I saw of him, he was somewhere in the vicinity of the *curious underground structure*, so presumably the next we see of him, he'll be zombified and half eaten. The eyeless lobster and humanoid are still hanging about, though the humanoid is trapped behind a wall somehow.

Hi, Jackal!

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1573 on: June 28, 2014, 02:38:14 pm »

Oh, and on the off chance FallenAngel II dies, choose a random male non-soldier, name him FallenAngel III, and give him the custom title Legendary Bodysurfer. Keep doing that if I die for the third time.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1574 on: June 28, 2014, 03:09:16 pm »

Our founder hath shewn his face!
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 172