Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 172

Author Topic: Demongate: Wrapping up the Loose Ends.  (Read 665455 times)

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
Re: Demongate: Main Character Deaths Make Good Storylines!
« Reply #1650 on: July 13, 2014, 08:17:10 am »

Nearly through winter, not much is happening that's worth mention. The humans brought a trade caravan instead of an army.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

Rhaken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1651 on: July 14, 2014, 10:15:14 am »

Brenzen scowled, pale blue eyes hardened into knives. "You're certain of this?"

"I'm afraid so," came Tarmid's reply, and the knight's scowl deepened. The chill of winter had begun to permeate the fortress, even here in the High Magebane's modest quarters. The cold season often marked a period of tension in dwarven settlements, as goblins chose this time of year to send out armies and raiding parties from their dark fortresses. The truce with the humans brought peace of mind only to the younger denizens of Demongate. Caution, it seemed, was a virtue of the aging.

"I take it you've been researching the matter. Anything I'm allowed to know?"

Tarmid went over his notes in his head, trying to separate fact from conjecture. There weren't a whole lot of facts. "Well, they are dangerous, as you well know." Brenzen didn't bother reacting. "They are hostile to all life as we know it. And so long as that sword remains in place, They pose no threat."

"And should the sword be removed?"

"Then may Armok save us."

Brenzen's scowl deepened further. Any more and the knight's eyebrows would join his moustache. "I'd always heard they could be defeated by force of arms."

"Maybe a few," Tarmid conceded. "But their numbers are endless, and ours are not. Besides, Saint Rhaken and Saint Zane were both defeated in battle by the demons."

"That was treachery," Brenzen replied at once. "Corley let loose the demons in Steelhold and locked the Holy Ones without reinforcements."

"Even so. They are strong enough to slay Armok's chosen. Think on that."

The High Magebane let go of his scowl as the information sunk in. Tarmid thought Brenzen's shoulders had slumped a fraction of an inch, accepting defeat but unwilling to admit it. "So we avoid them. For now." He took a sip of ale from his granite mug. "But avoiding a problem does not make it go away. We may have to face them one day, and I aim to be prepared." Another sip of ale. Tarmid idly wondered if Gnora had brewed that herself before she died.

"I'll see what I can find about defeating them. See you at prayers?"

"See you at prayers."

Codex Arcana: Forbidden Chapters
Author(s) Unknown

For the Loremaster's Eyes Only

Chapter 13: On Demons and the Adversary

In the time before time, in the world before worlds, there existed two beings. If there were others among them, we do not know and do not care. These two beings were close, close as brothers, and together labored to shape Time and Space and Energy and Matter from the endless, formless primordial void. Once they had created the building blocks of Creation, they began to create. Stars and worlds, and plants, animals, civilizations to populate them. And for a Time, all was well.

But harmony is not eternal. The two great beings drifted apart, grew cold and resentful of one another. They began to compete, to see which could create the better world. Endlessly they toiled, creating and destroying, world upon world upon world.

From conflict arose anger. From anger arose hatred. And in Time, one of the beings turned inwards, and whispered in spite.

"I tire of laboring on worlds to see my once-brother try to outdo me. Something must be done to undermine his works, and thus bring glory to mine!"

And thus it was done.

This being, known as the Adversary to the followers of the Old Ones, sent the seed of his minions among the Stars of his brother. The seed took root in fledgling worlds, corrupting them, twisting their essence that they might give rise to his own children. They would grow twisted and vicious and emerge from their hidden dens to sow chaos and death.

But the brother, Father of our Gods, saw this slight, and took to retribution. He, too, sent the seed of his divine creation among the Stars of the Adversary, and they took root in fledgling worlds, where they would grow and seek vengeance.

Within the core of the worlds they took root, where they would wait beneath the earth for the time when the Adversary's favored children would unearth them. Then they would be free to wreak havoc among the Adversary's creations, exacting retribution for the chaos that was wrought.

But the Adversary is nothing if not clever. Before many worlds could be claimed, he took to defending his worlds. He could not stop the seed from taking root, but he found a way to contain it, to keep the Avengers encased within the core of the worlds. He encased the cores in a flake of his ebon skin, tied the skin together with clips of his shimmering blue whiskers, and surrounded the casing in a drop of his molten blood. Thus would the Avengers be imprisoned, and the Adversary called them Demons and bade his creatures to loathe and fear them, so great was their power.

But some of the Avengers, those who woke early, fought back. They strained against their prison as it formed, broke through, tried to hide in the dark corners of the growing world. Thus was the Adversary forced to send his champions among them, to defend the breach armed with weapons fashioned of the strands of his own beard. Through much bloodshed were the Avengers contained again, the Adversary's weapons left behind to contain them.

Chapter 14: On Enlightenment and the Old Gods

The war between the Father and the Adversary waged on, from open battlefields to the subtle reign of politics and seduction. Just as the Adversary spoke to Gods in the Father's worlds, so too did Father speak to the Gods of the Adversary's worlds. The Adversary swayed the more subdued of the Avengers into peace, as the Father enlightened the warriors of the Adversary.

In our world did the Father speak to the Adversary's chosen, seeking allies to his cause. He soon found listeners in Ur the Cave of Luxuries, a human goddess of jewels and wealth of The Flaxen Confederacy. Thus it was that in the Age of Ancient Steelhold did Ur accept the Father's gift: a mask of purest gold, invested with divine might, to hold in her temple until such a time as a worthy champion would come to claim it.

Among the gods of the Adversary's chosen children did Father find another ally. Bobrur Fragranceglitter the Bodices of Romancing saw the Truth of Father's words, and sought to help. She bestowed the Hunger on two of her vilest detractors, who then sought other places to sate it. They found stronghold and solace in The Sienna Abbey of Orderumbral, drawn by Ur and the power of the Mask. They unwittingly guarded the sacred artifact until the day that the Holy Champion appeared.

The Champion perished in Ancient Steelhold. We know nothing of what happened to the Mask. Thus we must seek to retrieve it. For too long have we remained hidden, enlightened but persecuted for our wisdom and our Truth. The wisest among claim the Mask will one day open our door to salvation, and take us to the Promised Worlds of the Father. Thus we must seek. Adversary and his Knights and Saints shall not prevail in the light of the One True God and Father.

May the Father and the Mask guide you, brothers and sisters.
Of course, he may have simply crushed the forgotten beasts with his massive testicles.

Forget a spouse, he needs a full time gonad wrangler.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1652 on: July 14, 2014, 06:23:45 pm »

Internet is being a bit weird, so here's some plot, and I'll have everything up and running again in time to upload the save for tomorrow evening.

Thane's Journal.

Tarmid has told me a small amount of what we can expect from the dark fortress. Doubtless he knows more than he's letting on, but whether he's trying to protect me or his vows won't allow him to divulge whatever information he possesses, there is no doubt that we must set up a line of defence against what lurks within the caves. I was a weaponsmith, once. So I shall craft a great weapon that all who try to enter Demongate will fall on its blade.

A ring of silver statues had been erected around the strange blue blade. It wouldn't stop a determined madman from working the blade from the ground if his heart was set on it, but it should dissuade the casual lunatic. Given enough time, people might forget they were guarding anything at all and think the dark stone had been the work of the dwarves themselves, through technology lost to the ages. It was a nice hope, but Thane doubted it would last that long. She'd done her best to keep the story of the blue sword under wraps, but it had leaked out a little at a time, and before long nearly the entire fortress had gotten an eyeful of it. She was certain that at least one of them would be convinced that there was unending supplies of sunshine below the blue floor, or Vladamir's secret stash of *silk socks*, or... whatever they came up with to justify their stupidity.

"How is production going?" she asked absently.
"Slowly," Vabok answered. Vabok wasn't the most prominent or influential weaponsmith in the fortress, but she had the bonus of not claiming to be a demon, so Thane had put her in charge of the crafting process. "There is only so much metal we can work at a time, as I'm sure you're well aware, and to be honest some of the workers just think you've gone mad with power and are making random demands, so they aren't all that motivated."
"Vabok," Thane said quietly, slowly turning to face her and giving the smith her best psychotic grin. "Perhaps you should remind them that if I really had gone mad with power, I'd likely be beating them to death with a hammer right now for not finishing my mandates on time. Actually, perhaps you should tell them not to rule that out if they don't get back to work!
Vabok lingered long enough to nod and make sure the overseer wasn't planning to sentence her for her colleagues' laziness, then fled. Thane turned back to the statues, lit from behind by blue light. Such a mesmerising shade...

The ambush was, all in all, pretty well thought out. They struck while the gates were opened, confusion and arguments were consuming the dwarven and human merchants attempting to use the depot at the same time, and most of the fortress natives were busy carrying trade goods to or from the depot, so it was difficult to arrange the locking mechanism activated. Of course, they forgot that they were ambushing two caravans with heavily armed guards, but nobody can think of everything, right?

Thane surveyed the damage briefly. A dwarven merchant had been struck by a stray arrow, bleeding out as the guards routed the goblins. The humans, of course, claimed that the arrow had come from the goblin side of the battle, but they had been unable to find a single goblin archer. Iton Ethabshorast was, of course, being difficult about it.
"The treacherous surface dwellers murdered my friend," he declared, "And we demand justice!" His fellow merchants nodded demandingly. Doubtless they would work up to an irate chorus later on in the argument, and one or two could even get a solo performance, bringing out a beautiful counter melody of recompense or dwarven brotherhood. Thane wasn't in the mood for it.
"We've already fought a war against the humans," she reminded the merchants. "We have enough threats without fighting another, and we need to maintain a good relationship with their traders. Killing them, it might surprise you to hear, will not make them like us more."
"Then you will have to make to without trading goods with us!" Itob declared. He turned on his heel and stormed from the room. Much as Thane admired a good storm, the other merchants didn't seem prepared for it and the Thank you for your time one of them gave her ruined the effect somewhat.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1653 on: July 15, 2014, 07:19:44 pm »

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=8996

Well that took longer than expected. I'll post the final plot of my year when I'm not so sleep deprived. Not much happened in any case, autumn and winter were mostly spent cleaning up the phenomenal mess I made of the cave invasion and goblin war. Happiness has been stabilised, and Talonis was the only victim of the budding tantrum spiral, so at least I'm capable of stopping bloody uprisings.

danmanthedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1654 on: July 15, 2014, 08:38:52 pm »

My turn it looks like woot.... I don't want to redwarf but im all out of creative slime and juices to think of a plot with my ghost and soul gem soooo my animals will be running the show for my turn behind every bodies backs.

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1655 on: July 17, 2014, 02:43:58 am »

journal of the crazy one:
A strange development. it seems our next overseer, dan, has managed to download herself into a hive mind of animals.  I have never before observed this phenomena: I have seen individual dwarves possess the dwarven hive mind before-and have done so myself on numerous occasions-but for a dwarf to turn into a hive mind of lesser creatures...that is something new and interesting.

addendum: I wonder if she'll persist after her year is up or not.

This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #1656 on: July 17, 2014, 03:02:04 am »

EDIT: Also, I'd like to claim a marksdwerf if possible?
くコ:彡

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1657 on: July 17, 2014, 05:16:56 am »

Huh. Somehow I managed to miss your previous post completely. I'll add you to the to-be-dorfed list (and try get the first post back up to date).

danmanthedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1658 on: July 17, 2014, 11:39:57 am »

Got it and love the avatar picture.

*Exhale* I hauling all these pants and socks, I want to some exciting for the fortress but never less I'm a hauler. "HEY ELF kNOB STUCK TWIDDLING YOUR THUMBS AND GO GET THE BODIES FROM THE CAVERN" "Right away sir Kobold face."

Later in the caverns.
"Pick up the bodies, pick up stone blah blah bl*Trips* Arhh dammit! What did I trip over, *Shines a lantern over the object reveling a corpse with no head. Well arn't you a beauty of a corpse, hmm you must be from the battle of the forgotten ones but what ever. Lets gt you back to the fort. *Lifts corpse on to shoulders* Whew you are heavy and smelly... Hmm that is a lovely looking coat, *Takes coat* You won't miss it right buddy. Hm somethings in the pocket, pulls out a black and teal gem*Wow buddy you had something nice but it mine." "Protect me, keep me safe."

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1659 on: July 17, 2014, 06:41:39 pm »

A strange development. it seems our next overseer, dan, has managed to download herself into a hive mind of animals.  I have never before observed this phenomena: I have seen individual dwarves possess the dwarven hive mind before-and have done so myself on numerous occasions-but for a dwarf to turn into a hive mind of lesser creatures...that is something new and interesting.

I think that she's a he.

*Exhale* I hauling all these pants and socks, I want to some exciting for the fortress but never less I'm a hauler. "HEY ELF kNOB STUCK TWIDDLING YOUR THUMBS AND GO GET THE BODIES FROM THE CAVERN" "Right away sir Kobold face."

Later in the caverns.
"Pick up the bodies, pick up stone blah blah bl*Trips* Arhh dammit! What did I trip over, *Shines a lantern over the object reveling a corpse with no head. Well arn't you a beauty of a corpse, hmm you must be from the battle of the forgotten ones but what ever. Lets gt you back to the fort. *Lifts corpse on to shoulders* Whew you are heavy and smelly... Hmm that is a lovely looking coat, *Takes coat* You won't miss it right buddy. Hm somethings in the pocket, pulls out a black and teal gem*Wow buddy you had something nice but it mine." "Protect me, keep me safe."

What exactly is going on here?
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1660 on: July 17, 2014, 07:06:25 pm »

I think that she's a he.

Later in the caverns.

What exactly is going on here?
Some randomer was hauling things from the cavern, found Dan's body and stole his coat. Dan had a soul gem inside which now has his consciousness imprinted on it(?).

Though, Dan, since overseer posts are meant to give a good indication of what's going on in the fort for the other people involved in the thread, I'm not sure that your narration style is easy enough to understand for them. I'm sure you can make it work if you want, but you could use some more transparency.

danmanthedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1661 on: July 17, 2014, 07:15:48 pm »

Yeah i suck ha. I will keep on trying but what I want to put across is that my mind is in the animals but my true consonance is in the soul gem, so i will use this random hauler as my voice and slave.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1662 on: July 19, 2014, 09:43:57 am »

I'M BAAAAAAAAAAACCCCCCCCKKKKKKKK

Now to see what all shit went down in my absence.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1663 on: July 19, 2014, 09:56:16 am »

Holy crap the fortress is a frickin nightmare.

Erm...

Okay, why does nobody have any clothes?

Make clothes, people.
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 172