Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 172

Author Topic: Demongate: Wrapping up the Loose Ends.  (Read 673938 times)

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
Re: Demongate: Legs are for Cowards.
« Reply #1920 on: August 22, 2014, 10:48:52 pm »

Did Beef Vanderhuge get dorf'd yet? I've got a few more days until university starts, so I'd like to try to get back into this thread.
EDIT: Is this thread still alive? If nobody's taking a turn, I'll be able to start one in the next few days. It'd be a long turn though, a lot of other stuff is going to be happening in my life.
Teaser:

Beef really got tired of the voices sometimes. It was bad enough when he was just insane. The voices that weren't real were relatively easy to shut out. The voices of the dead, however, were not so easily disuaded.
"Make drinkingks of the sunshine. Be doingk it now, yes?
That would be Vlad. His voice seldom came into Beef's head; all in all the fellow seemed rather depressed. Being dead and thus beyond mortal booze could explain that, or leaving his lover behind.
"Don't yew touch that swill now, y'hear?"
"Can't a dwarf enjoy his eternal rest in peace?"
Beef wished he could answer the voices, if only he could tell them to bring their argument elsewhere. He really didn't care much about what was going on in the afterlife. Blah blah, war in the heavens, blah blah Twiceborn, blah blah Steelhold. Honestly, being dead wasn't something he was looking forward to at all. It sounded stressful. No wonder half the fort didn't bother to remain dead these days.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 03:32:58 pm by MDFification »

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1921 on: August 25, 2014, 06:54:07 pm »

How's the fortress going, padre?
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1922 on: August 25, 2014, 07:07:57 pm »

I can't speak for him, but I bet FallenAngel IV died.
I'm getting really good at that.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #1923 on: August 26, 2014, 12:39:32 am »

Just finished summer.
Failed to capture that berserk horse, because some fisherdwarf shot it while was passing by. Other horses annoyed me with their jumps and I sent a squal for them.
Human caravan is at our depot, but I have no idea what to trade for. I think we're highly self-sufficient.
Currently raising fortress' walls higher and wider.
Also we have a moody mason in progress.

I can't speak for him, but I bet FallenAngel IV died.
I'm getting really good at that.
Nobody died yet. Only two were cut by kobold thieves, but now they rest at hospital.
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

danmanthedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1924 on: August 26, 2014, 03:49:00 pm »

I am getting interweb soon my brothers and sisters so hide your dead bodies and cats.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1925 on: August 27, 2014, 02:24:32 pm »

Finallly I'm back to this.

Did Beef Vanderhuge get dorf'd yet? I've got a few more days until university starts, so I'd like to try to get back into this thread.

Cornelius was awaken early this morning. The think that woke him was a loud knocking at the door. Cursing and stumbling at very unconviniently placed furniture he came to the door, removed the doorbar and kicked it in hopes of teaching the bastard to respet the Founder of Evening Prayers.
Door opened and slammed at the wall. The Bastard swiftly jumped back, so no teaching this time.

- Good Morningk, Padre! - he said.
- Who the hell you are and what do you need this early? - muttered Padre, trying to gather his vision on the visitor. There's something familiar in the accent... or maybe that's a noice in his ears
- Beef Vangerhuge, legendary speardvarf and "gypsum magnate". At your service. - replied the visitor with wide smile
- Beef ... Vanderhuge? Never heard that name before.
- Oh, I just made it from my mind. And need you to 'rite it dovn in yur books. It's urgent.
Cornelius closed his eyes, leant to the wall and counted up to 27. This place turns into madness faster than even.
-  Write it down on the paper and get the hell out of my sight. - replied Padre with eyes closed still. When Beef Vanderhuge put a piece of parchment into his hand, he pulled the door back to its place and put the doorbar back. Then he collapsed on his bed, putting the pillow over the head. No. More. Visitors. This. Morning.
Beef Vanderhuge stood still for a few seconds, and then a grief smile rose on his face.

- You never change, Cornelius. - he whispered, then turned around and left.

Hours passed. Cornelius finally gathered his will to rise from the bed and found a parchment on the floor.
BEEF VANDERHUGE. What's that supposed to mean? Aha, there's more on the back - "write this into Fortress Registry". Oh, right! The visitor!
Cornelius produced the huge book from one of the coffers, opened and shuffled through sheets

"Thees straight-cutting runes look familiar. Where have I seen this style?" - mumbled Padre burying himself deep in the Demongate history. Suddenly he stumbled at the records made by Vlad- "Holy carp... This can't be!"

The Summer End celebration, obviously, was fortress-wide, loud and crazy. The Bithsestcomnith Azin "Triangular Butterfly of Watching", granite statue at the Chapel, was decorated with puppy skull, bones and dried giant grasshopper leg. On the chairs where Evening Prayer Group usually had their meetings there were torn tunic and a leather shoe of great quality. At the Tulon's memorial hall there were Meng Fencedabbles The Gloved Prison the crippled retired macedwarf with Bomrek Luckboots the crutched bonedoctor, ghost of Goden the merchant swordsdwarf, and a couple of children. The dining hall and cellar were covered with pieces of worn clothings and shoes. A recruit is carrying a heap of horse bones with unnaturally high look.
- God Damn It. - spitted Cornelius. - Welcome to the madhouse, Your Overseership. Hope you enjoy it.

After a few days that moody recruit presented Ernamvim Dolil Sobir, "Modesttears the Locks of Release", bauxite coffer.

Cornelius immediately commisioned it into his office room, saying "Fortress Registry needs a proper storage"

22nd of Limestone, 665 was marked with an alert:
- To arms! To arms! A beast at the cavern!
The new unwanted guest was an ash blob, with a shell and a bloated body. Flame said its name is Anan.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 02:34:39 pm by peregarrett »
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1926 on: August 27, 2014, 03:52:25 pm »

No poison, send in anyone who you want to get the kill.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1927 on: August 28, 2014, 02:59:03 pm »

Thane's squad gathered at the small room just above the cavern entrance, prepared to meet the beast.

- When it gets in the stairwel - charge at once! - Thane made the breefing - It should have no nasty special attacks, so just avoid it's pushes and it'll be ok.
At that time a huge spherical blob rose at the stairwell behind her. Melbil the Macedwarf cried - "BEWARE!!" - and jumped right at the beast kicking it.
Suddenly the beast exploded and collapsed in a pile of ash.

- Not much to do. - said Melbil, trying to clean his beard from the ash, but just spreading more and more. - I'm off to the bathroom!

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1928 on: August 28, 2014, 06:35:41 pm »

Thane watched in disbelief as the great beast burst asunder. It didn't even have time for a dying scream. As the rest of the squad went back upstairs to clean off, she stared at the pile of dust. It was so easy to die. Certainly easier than living after everything that mattered was gone. At least once you were dead, people called you things like 'hero' and 'great' instead of just complaining about what you told them to do. Gnora had died, Dan had died, Artyom had seemed happy to die when she explained the choice between that or letting that madman of an overseer 'experiment' on him. And Vladamir...
"You ok, boss?" one of them asked.
"Yeah, just thinking about... people," she finished lamely. "I'll be up in a while."
The soot covered dwarf nodded, walking away into the darkness. Thane absently touched Ob Kat- and heard a high pitched squeal.

I was wondering when you'd find out how to do that, said a... an echo? Not quite a voice, more like the sudden knowledge that someone had spoken even though she hadn't heard it.
"Who are you?" Thane asked, feeling stupid.
Ah. I suppose the experience was somewhat traumatic for your psyche. I am the spirit that led you to make your hammer, making you more sensitive to the thaumaturgical side of the world in the process. You appear to have subconsciously associated your abilities of that nature with your armament, hence why you only appear to be aware of them while holding it.
"So, in other words, I've gone insane and started hearing voices in my head," said Thane bluntly.
Er, I suppose I can't conclusively prove that this is not the case, but if I were a product of your deranged mind, surely I'd take a form you're more familiar with?
"I don't know, I've never gone insane before. Can we just do whatever it is you want before someone finds me talking to a hammer?"
The beast is not dead. There's a small growth they can use to regenerate their bodies given enough time. They're powerful sources of magic when harnessed by those who know the way, and there are a lot of them in Demongate. I imagine you'll become aware of them once your ah, natural thaumometer becomes more sensitive. For now, just don't let anyone get their hands on the beast's gem.

There was no sign that she could have described, but Thane knew that the voice was gone. Sighing, she tried to locate the source of the squealing, pawing through a large pile of ash and pulling out a smoky grey crystal. Thane wasn't entirely sure what it was, but it was -or seemed to be- radiating an aura of malevolence towards sentient life, or life in general, or the entire world. Thane briefly tried to imagine the kind of person that would use such a thing for power and shuddered. The crystal bounced, shimmering, on the stone floor just once before Ob Kat shattered it. Thane picked up the dead fragments, hiding them in her backpack, and went to get a drink. She felt unusually cheerful. It was nice to know for certain that you were insane. That way you could pretend to be sane so that people wouldn't notice.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1929 on: August 28, 2014, 07:09:15 pm »

Carved on Flame's bedroom wall

A beast slain, a demon awoken.

danmanthedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1930 on: August 29, 2014, 08:15:04 am »

Nooo how dare you break that valuable soul gem, I could have revived a baboon dwarf hybrid.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1931 on: August 29, 2014, 08:55:27 am »

Nooo how dare you break that valuable soul gem, I could have revived a baboon dwarf hybrid.
No ash zombies, Dan, please. They are from another story.

Nothing really happens in the Demongate that should be roleplayed.
Sir Brenzen was seen digging at the malachite mine with admantine boots and gauntlets on. Only. Obviously he's takng a break from knighty-duty...
Another food storage room was dug and is stockpiled with drinks and roasts. Cooks are working on lavish meals on repeat.
Church walls were replaced with gem windows. We need more gem windows, I think - there're a LOT of cut gems.
Second level of walls is under construction. Also, there's a magma spewing pump installed on the southern side, but not tested yet.
FallenAngel the 4th got memorials of FA 1st and 2nd in his own (and his wife's) usage.
BOOOORING.
Give me an idea of something, for ~2 seasons of construction time.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1932 on: August 29, 2014, 09:21:16 am »

From the engravings of FallenAngel IV, Legendary+2 Bodysurfer

I heard a breaking noise. One like never before. Instead of the breaking sound of glass, or that of a gem, it sounded like a spirit being broken, then a spirit being lifted. I am compelled to find the remains. I do not know why, but I must.
Anan must live.

Later, at the barracks

FallenAngel IV picks up Thane's hammer
So, you've broken the ge- you're not Thane.
"I know, brother."
FallenAngel? What are you doing here?
"I knew you were related to this."
But... how?
"You got trapped in the spirit realm while I got lodged between. I know more than most anythings."
Are you planning to destroy this hammer?
"Of course not, that would drive Thane deep into insanity. I am, however, keeping my eye on you."
FallenAngel IV puts Thane's hammer down and leaves the barracks

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1933 on: August 29, 2014, 12:23:52 pm »

Thane slammed into Fallen Angel as he left the barracks, pinning him to the wall. Her lower arm slowly pressed down on his windpipe. The bodysurfer was trying to overpower he, but only one of them had been swinging a piece of metal around for the better part of a decade. Thane pressed down one more time, then drew back and left Fallen Angel to collapse wheezing to the ground.
"I'm not going to kill you," she said quietly. "I'd hate to put you through the inconvenience of stealing someone else's body. But if you touch my hammer again, I
will make you suffer."

The door of the barracks slammed shut behind her before Fallen could get his breath back. Thane snatched Ob Kat from where it was lying. She didn't know why she'd left it down, it had almost never been anywhere but in her possession since she'd made it. She was more worried about how she'd know someone had their dirty paws on it, but she had known with absolute certainty.
"
Magic", she cursed.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1934 on: August 29, 2014, 01:21:08 pm »

On the  2nd of Timber, 665, soldiers that spar at the barracks were interrupted by loud echoing scream -

- We am Ethba Testri Onuth, the bane of northern mountains! We am the greatest warrior in the world! You, little bugs, prepare to die from our hand!!! Come fight us or die cowardly in your sandpile!

Sir Brenzen, whose Knight Code doesn't tolerate rejecting the challenge, stepped out of the gate
- I am Sir Brenzen Helmwatch, the Dominant Brain of Brightness, accepting your challenge!

Swiftly he charged at the enemy, raising his Udeshkurol, the bismuth bronze pick, while the ettin was waiting for him. Suddenly, in a few yards before him, Brenzen jumped high and laid a crushing strike at ettins right shoulder, touched the ground and immediately attacked his left foot! Losing his stance, the ettin collapsed on the knee, opening right leg for attack. Brenzen stroke again, and sudenly bit his enemy in the torso! The ettin sreamed in pain and tore him away from the latch... but his courage was broken. Brenzen rained him with the storm of stikes everywhere he could reach, and in a final blow beat the pick right in the chest. The long jet of blood flushed from the wound, and in a second the two-headed beast collapsed dead on the ground.

- "The Greatest Warrior", huh - said Sir Brenzen who even haven't sweated a bit.- The Greatest Poser I'd say.
He walked back to the fortress gate, welcomed by ecstatic shouting of those who watched the fight.
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 172