Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 172

Author Topic: Demongate: Wrapping up the Loose Ends.  (Read 674259 times)

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
Re: Demongate: Legs are for Cowards.
« Reply #1980 on: September 02, 2014, 09:24:57 pm »

Since I have to leave soon, I will leave you with a small snippet of what the motivation is.
FallenAngel and his brother, whose name I'm not completely sure on (I'm leaning towards Risen or RisenDemon) got into an accident during childhood. His brother got trapped in the spirit world while FallenAngel ended up wedged between them, granting him bodysurfing. Once Ob Kat was created, Risen had a connection to the physical realm, and FallenAngel needs to discuss matters.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1981 on: September 02, 2014, 11:19:06 pm »

Thanks for the notification, asmoth!

I'm here, can and will take turn. Have game, will travel.

Rhaken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1982 on: September 02, 2014, 11:30:49 pm »

Thanks for the notification, asmoth!

I'm here, can and will take turn. Have game, will travel.

Hoho, he returns! Glad to have you back, 4mask.

Hope you don't mind the liberties I've taken with Brenzen. With any luck, I didn't deviate far from what you'd intended.
Of course, he may have simply crushed the forgotten beasts with his massive testicles.

Forget a spouse, he needs a full time gonad wrangler.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #1983 on: September 03, 2014, 12:02:02 pm »

Welcome back 4mask! IT BEGINS AGAIN.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1984 on: September 03, 2014, 04:37:37 pm »

"I doubt that the room beneath Castle Helgard is related to the bodysnatchers," Thane said, frowning.
Tarmid, ever the teacher, nodded approvingly. "Why?" he asked.
"The grave robberies seem to be done on impulse," she answered, thinking quickly. "Whoever turned Vladamir into a puppet clearly didn't have much of a plan for what they'd do afterwards. What's more, the stolen bodies have been showing up again more often than not. Burned and maimed, sure, but they're not that hard to find. There was no trace of the dungeon until you actually found the place itself, and even then there's no evidence of what it's being used for."
"Perhaps the corpses are the evidence of the room being constructed, and we simply didn't join the dots?" Tarmid countered.
"I suppose there's no way to prove that they're not, but it seems awfully careless for someone who leaves as little trace as the person who made that room. Plus, there's far too many bodies. Three or four dwarves could have made a room that small inside a month, even counting the breaks. A zombie would have had more than twice the working hours of a live person, but there's more than twenty empty coffins, and most of the missing bodies are accounted for. So, why would such a secretive person simply discard tools after such a short amount of time, particularly when they could potentially last forever? Plus, there was no corpse rot there."
"No..." Tarmid trailed off.
"No smell of death," Thane nodded. "There was no ventilation in that room, any smells would have lingered for months, and most of the bodies have gone missing and turned up again in the last year. It's circumstantial, I know, but it's true."
"So, we have two madmen running around doing Armok knows what?" Brenzen rumbled.
"At least two," Tarmid said apologetically. "There seems to be at least one other unknown force in Demongate, though that may just be our regular insanity being mistaken for something more sinister."
Brenzen closed his eyes for a moment. He seemed to be praying. "Fine," he eventually growled. "So, essentially, we have an unknown number of enemies, each with unknown objectives, and each with an unknown number of followers?"
"That's about it," smiled Tarmid. "Though I think we can safely attribute at least some of the cadaver theft to Dan. She's very eager to tell people about her, eh, 'science'. I think the best thing to do for now may be to operate alone and find out what we can about our opponents. Action before we're better prepared would only alert them that we know about them."

Thane and Brenzen nodded, and Thane turned to leave. As the door closed behind her, Brenzen quietly asked
"What do we do about the reading from her hammer?"
"I'm not sure yet," Tarmid answered. "We can't afford to give her enough time to utilize its power if she's an enemy, but on the other hand, she's had the thing for years now and barely murdered anyone important. At the very least, there's no point in turning her into an enemy when we need all the friends we can get."
"That is the beginning of a
very dark path, scribe," Brenzen warned. "Be careful where you follow it."
"I'm sure I haven't completely compromised my morals yet," Tarmid smiled. "Besides, I'm sure if that day comes you'll be there, pick ready and waiting."
Brenzen nodded. "Until we meet again, then."
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #1985 on: September 03, 2014, 05:09:48 pm »

Beef inhaled. Whenever the gypsum was in him, the voices stopped. This was A Good Thing. For a few hours at least, he'd have blessed clarity of thought.
Or he would, if the gypsum didn't make him deliriously angry.

"The militia's really gone downhill these past few years. I miss the Duke as much as the next dwarf, but he really starting neglecting us once he got into the nobility."
This, of course, made Beef angry. He prepared a witty retort to put this ignoramus back in his place. Unfortunately, what actually came out was;
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
"Alright, alright, I get it, don't say that stuff around a Vulture."
FUCKYOUFUCKYOUFUCKYOU
"You've got gypsum all over your beard, by the way."
AARGHSAGHIALEHAFUKYOU
"When in hell do I get relieved of duty?"

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1986 on: September 03, 2014, 05:12:10 pm »

From the thoughts of FallenAngel IV, Legendary+2 Bodysurfer

I sure hope this plan is successful; otherwise, I need to map out a way to return to the past, and acquire 5 extra bars of steel, because that's the only plan I have left. I should write down this on a stone tablet soon.
I wonder what Dan has been doing. He's never been too sinister, only strange.
For one reason or another, I rarely see some people. I don't exactly recall their names. I wonder what they do.
I'm hungry. I'm going to eat something and hope this works.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #1987 on: September 03, 2014, 06:00:27 pm »

>mfw magic
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
alternate ending
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 06:05:27 pm by MDFification »

Rhaken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1988 on: September 03, 2014, 06:05:24 pm »

>mfw magic

I, for one, hold the firm opinion that we could have a whole different brand of intrigue to throw around without magic users in the mix. That being said, it is a fair bit more satisfying to bring them down a peg without resorting to magic even once.
Of course, he may have simply crushed the forgotten beasts with his massive testicles.

Forget a spouse, he needs a full time gonad wrangler.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #1989 on: September 03, 2014, 06:11:14 pm »

I, for one, hold the firm opinion that we could have a whole different brand of intrigue to throw around without magic users in the mix. That being said, it is a fair bit more satisfying to bring them down a peg without resorting to magic even once.

tbh I'm just looking for excuses to post ridiculous pictures.
It is more satisfying, yes. Hard to do when arbitrary JUST AS PLANNED gets pulled, but eh.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1990 on: September 04, 2014, 10:20:36 am »

oh jeez, I need to go back and read a whole bunch of new stuff that has happened since I last checked.

I don't mind liberties being taken with my character, particularly not since I was gone for so long... sorry...

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1991 on: September 04, 2014, 10:57:37 am »

Has anyone done anything with why Oku was actually at Steelhold?  If not, I can establish that on my turn.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1992 on: September 04, 2014, 11:07:12 am »

I don't think that there's been anything Steelhold related aside from Corley and Emdief reappearing, some Shank and Asmoth stuff and the Knights being related to Jackal, Rhaken and Zane.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #1993 on: September 04, 2014, 11:57:56 am »

I don't think that there's been anything Steelhold related aside from Corley and Emdief reappearing, some Shank and Asmoth stuff and the Knights being related to Jackal, Rhaken and Zane.

There was quite a bit of stuff done with Corley (who may or may not be skulking around Demongate somewhere, and also has a clone that definately is) and also token appearances by Amsoth, Shank and Emdief (once each I think, all of them in former Steelhold. Emdief really can't be considered Emdief anymore)

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1994 on: September 04, 2014, 01:36:58 pm »

Well, Asmoth was somewhere south of Demongate getting all philosophical about whether creating a race of nearly mindless killing machines was a good thing or not. Also, for someone who doesn't like talking much, a lot of Thane's story seems to be exposition.

Thane hesitated for a moment, then grasped Ob Kat's haft, reaching out with that sense somewhere between hearing and sight where the magic lurked.
"I know you're there," she said. After a moment with no answer, she shook the hammer. "Answer me!"
I don't live in that hammer, you know, came the slightly bemused reply.
"Then why can I only hear you if I'm holding it?" Thane asked.
I told you before, you've linked your own powers to the hammer. I had nothing to do with it. So, as a magical being, you can only sense me when you're holding it. And sometimes I do have other things to besides teaching you how to see.
"So, what are you then?"
Eh, I suppose I'm your mentor or something for now. I'm to show you how to use your powers so that you can... hrm... 'Be what you were meant to be?'... 'Fulfil your destiny?'... 'Take a level?'... well, something like that in any case.
Thane thought about that for a moment. "So, what are my powers?" she asked.
Every living being emits a certain amount of magical energy, which we measure in thaums. The average elf gives out one thaum, a dwarf half of that, with the obvious exception of those with latent magical abilities themselves. My point is that you weigh in at zero.
"And that's a bad thing?"
Not a good thing or a bad thing, just a different thing. A fish is immersed in water, and so doesn't see the water around it. You're outside of the river, so you can see its flows. With enough training, you'll be able to drink from it, if I may continue the metaphor.
"Drain magic, you mean?" said Thane.
And spit it back out, since I doubt you learned any table manners growing up. You can't actually influence it, any more than you can influence what shape water will be when you pour it out of a bucket, but it's a handy trick nonetheless.
"So... what does Fallen Angel want with you, anyway?"
Thane sensed a feeling of discomfort from the disembodied voice, as though it was shuffling its feet.
He is my brother, I suppose. It's a difficult relationship to summarise. He's a little bit insane.
"I'd noticed."
Indeed. I can't really say what he actually wants, because pretty much everything he does has little to no bearing on what he actually intends it to achieve. It makes him difficult to plan around. Speaking of which, there's some confusion going on in the dining room.
"About what?" Thane couldn't help but think she was going to dread the answer.
Apparently, you're there in spite of several people seeing you coming here to the barracks to train. Most of the confusion seems to be centred around the adjectives 'happy' and 'polite', though.

Thane pinched the bridge of her nose in an attempt to suppress the need to crack some skulls. After a few minutes, she emerged from the barracks with the familiar weight of a hammer on her back. She was beginning to wish she really was insane. The real world couldn't possibly be this crazy.
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 172