Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 172

Author Topic: Demongate: Wrapping up the Loose Ends.  (Read 671515 times)

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
Re: Demongate, a Succession Fortress Against Evil
« Reply #270 on: March 20, 2014, 09:07:09 pm »

Oh and demonic butterfly cat tomfoolery

Guilty. But I was a mere accomplice!
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
Re: Demongate
« Reply #271 on: March 20, 2014, 09:38:54 pm »

That reminds me, have I missed anyone asking to be overseer besides Archon?
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: March 20, 2014, 10:00:42 pm »

Alright, expect the first game update tomorrow or Saturday.  I'm busy until then, my apologies.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: March 21, 2014, 02:33:16 am »

Wrote a little poem about the fortress so far.

"Demongate - A Beginning"

Seven dwarves on this journey came
To build an outpost in the ground.
To strong metal they've set their claim
To fight their foe when it is found.
When will their teethéd foe be found?
When will their teethéd foe be found?

By Thane's will they did strike the earth,
She pierced the water in the sand.
They could then rest in Dwarven mirth,
'til against their foe they must stand.
When will they meet that monstrous band?
When will they meet that monstrous band?

Tables have been built, trees cut down,
And more will come with future turns.
But ne'er shall Gnora cease to frown
At Vladimir whom she will spurn.
When will that farm-girl ever learn?
When will that farm-girl ever learn?

Now a new leader in this land
Who leads his life in holy oath
Shall take this fort in his command
To lead us from our Dwarven sloth.
When will we fall to Dwarven sloth?
When will we fall to Dwarven sloth?
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

Senshuken

• Bay Watcher
  • Defend till the end.
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: March 21, 2014, 04:07:50 am »

Memo: Ask around subtly to see if anyone is running a betting book for how the new management is going to play out. Need to learn how to calculate probability so that I may set up such a book myself.
Cause every silver lining has a cloud, and it won't be alright on the night; There's nothing at the end of the rainbow and there's a tunnel at the end of the light!

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: March 21, 2014, 08:25:35 am »

Alright. Having looked over the fort, a few brief suggestions:

- We should get started on a defensive palisade, and make the entrance seal-able before the first thieves start to show up.
- A surface barracks would also be a good idea to prevent military cave adaptation.
- That aquifer can be harnessed to make a good reservoir for a prospective hospital if you build a drain.

That is all.

Senshuken

• Bay Watcher
  • Defend till the end.
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: March 21, 2014, 09:01:18 am »

Here is an idea for defenses for you:

Step 1: we dig a a large, moat like tench but we don't fill it with water... yet.

Step 2: We fill that tench with as many sharp, pointy things that we can produce. An important factor for this step is that they need to be made out of things that don't rust.

Step 3: We fill our spike filled tench with water... and if possible, small meat eating fish. Helps keep our death moat clean and all.

Thoughts?
Cause every silver lining has a cloud, and it won't be alright on the night; There's nothing at the end of the rainbow and there's a tunnel at the end of the light!

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: March 21, 2014, 09:10:19 am »

Here is an idea for defenses for you:

Step 1: we dig a a large, moat like tench but we don't fill it with water... yet.

Step 2: We fill that tench with as many sharp, pointy things that we can produce. An important factor for this step is that they need to be made out of things that don't rust.

Step 3: We fill our spike filled tench with water... and if possible, small meat eating fish. Helps keep our death moat clean and all.

Thoughts?

The thing is that in this game fall damage is pretty broken. We can't dig the trench very deep here because we'll hit the aquifer, so fall damage won't be that significant. So we could build it as a drowning trap, but the spikes are kind of superfluous.
You'd still have to build a wall though to block arrows, so I prefer to just though that. In my experience my militia has a bad habit of dodging into the trench and drowning themselves. I do like to use trenches to force enemies to path into optimal range of archery towers though.

jrrocks05

• Bay Watcher
  • serial killer at large
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: March 21, 2014, 09:17:07 am »

as much as my dwarf hates the sun we should probably build the barracks outside. i like the wall idea better.
We fear not to walk in the valley of death for we are the baddest most vicious unforgiving motherf---en dwarves in this valley

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
Re: Demongate
« Reply #279 on: March 21, 2014, 01:33:26 pm »

Yeah, the inside barracks was just intended as a placeholder until we can build one outside. We could also power a lot of water wheels using the river, though I'm not sure if there's anything useful we could do with the power they could produce. Maybe we could pump up some magma once we find it, or get a defensive ring of supersonic minecarts.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: March 21, 2014, 01:53:37 pm »

Thoughts?

One word: Carp.
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

jrrocks05

• Bay Watcher
  • serial killer at large
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: March 21, 2014, 06:15:57 pm »

That's a carptastic idea
We fear not to walk in the valley of death for we are the baddest most vicious unforgiving motherf---en dwarves in this valley

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: March 21, 2014, 08:15:18 pm »

RIP Carp of yore.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: March 22, 2014, 11:58:43 am »

An update for everyone:
The game is going to be played, it just may take me a while.  I'm going to start on the first update once I figure out what I want to do with this fort.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: March 22, 2014, 01:12:22 pm »

The diary of Sir Brenzen the Bold, Knight of St. Zane,
1 Granite:
Today, Thane announced her resignation and asked me to take charge of the fortress.  I humbly accepted the honor, and promised change to the dwarves who have come here.  Tarmid was the only one who seemed happy about it, but the others will come around in time.
I have gotten many concerned notices about the state of our current defenses, and I must say that this fortress must improve in order to become the great citadel it is meant to be.  The first order of business will be an outdoor barracks as one of the only entrances into the fortress as a whole, in order to restrict hostiles from coming in and out.  I personally am going to take up the pick once again and dig out an area to process all of this gypsum we have lying around into useful plaster powder, as well as the creation of a safe area to get water from.  As is, the fortress is a big mess.  The pastures have been moved closer to the entrance of the fortress in order to prevent invading forces from killing our livestock.
4 Slate:
More dwarves have come to join our great colony.  Normally I would welcome them in, but resources are pinched right now.   I only hope that they come with useful skillsets.
7 Slate:
Well there sure were a lot of them.  None of them particularly stood out, almost all of them were farmers, rangers, or fishers of some sort or another.
14 Felsite:
An Elven caravan has arrived.  While I have no love for the elves, it would be good of us not to get them on our bad side.  We do not need more enemies than we already have.  We must always maintain hope that the elves will someday see the light we have, and join us in peace and harmony.
19 Felsite:
The Fractal guy decided to trade with the elves quickly, and we exchanged dwarven made crafts for a wide assortment of items, ranging from food to cages animals.  I also order quite a bit of cloth and other hospital supplies be purchased, in order to plan for the future.
7 Hematite:
The defenses are partially complete, but the barracks needs to have a ceiling put over it before the other military members will enter it.  Cowards.  Why fear the sun when there are so many other things to fear?

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 172