Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 172

Author Topic: Demongate: Wrapping up the Loose Ends.  (Read 665410 times)

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
Re: Demongate
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2014, 08:16:40 pm »

I think we actually had four hospitals in Steelhold. I undesignated a pair when I finished the helltower.

As regards designating each level for a certain function, I think we'll end up with a certain amount of anarchy no matter what we do. I'll finish up any rooms Mask misses on my turn and leave notes about their intended purpose if I don't have them functioning.

P.S, we could put Sir Brezen into the military equipped with a pick once he's finished digging the fortress. I don't think I've ever had a miner in the militia before.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Demongate, a Succession Fortress Against Evil
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2014, 08:35:12 pm »

Quick question. Would everyone be in favor of a little forward planning this time around?
Not that I want to stop the creativity - I'd just want to make things easier to find by constraining our activities to certain levels of the fort. The first person to breach a layer would declare what that layer was for (e.g. bedrooms or organics material processing or hospitals + barracks, etc) and the later players would respect that by not building different industries/functions in that layer. We'd maintain a list of what functions each level accomplishes.
I'm suggesting this because last time we ended up with 2 bedroom complexes, 3 workshop areas, 3 dining rooms, 2 hospitals, a barracks I never found, tombs and offices everywhere, and stockpiles in the corridors. Some of those were intentional, but it might save us time and improve efficiency if we kept those bunched together instead of spread all over the fort? We'd still be able to use our own designs, but we wouldn't create such a pathfinding nightmare and it'd be a lot easier for the next player to find things.
Just a thought.
No.
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2014, 09:01:44 pm »

Quick question. Would everyone be in favor of a little forward planning this time around?
Not that I want to stop the creativity - I'd just want to make things easier to find by constraining our activities to certain levels of the fort. The first person to breach a layer would declare what that layer was for (e.g. bedrooms or organics material processing or hospitals + barracks, etc) and the later players would respect that by not building different industries/functions in that layer. We'd maintain a list of what functions each level accomplishes.
I'm suggesting this because last time we ended up with 2 bedroom complexes, 3 workshop areas, 3 dining rooms, 2 hospitals, a barracks I never found, tombs and offices everywhere, and stockpiles in the corridors. Some of those were intentional, but it might save us time and improve efficiency if we kept those bunched together instead of spread all over the fort? We'd still be able to use our own designs, but we wouldn't create such a pathfinding nightmare and it'd be a lot easier for the next player to find things.
Just a thought.
No.

Ok.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2014, 10:18:28 pm »

MDF...
DId you not notice during your trials that the special surprise does more damage to itself than to others and that the bloodkin mages set themselves on fire...?

Was your testing done in gameplay or arena?

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2014, 07:44:26 am »

MDF...
DId you not notice during your trials that the special surprise does more damage to itself than to others and that the bloodkin mages set themselves on fire...?

Was your testing done in gameplay or arena?

Arena and I never saw that. Maybe I had temperature turned off or something.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2014, 08:39:59 am »

It could be caused by the mages casting the fire and then running into it. That seems to happen whenever I give fire to things. You could just give them high melting and boiling points on their tissue, which would make sense since they were created with demons and magma.

Just want to check everyone's opinions on danger rooms, by the way. I think it'd fit the story better if we didn't use them, and they kind of defeat the purpose of a challenge race.

danmanthedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2014, 11:03:48 am »

It could be caused by the mages casting the fire and then running into it. That seems to happen whenever I give fire to things. You could just give them high melting and boiling points on their tissue, which would make sense since they were created with demons and magma.

Just want to check everyone's opinions on danger rooms, by the way. I think it'd fit the story better if we didn't use them, and they kind of defeat the purpose of a challenge race.
I saw nay to the idea of danger rooms. Have you done all the testing will the bloodkin because if not I got an hour of free time to see what they can do to goblins and other creatures bhaaa :D :D

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2014, 11:26:21 am »

The thing is I don't recall them casting fire or anything to do with body temperatures. I do remember they kept splashing themselves during a syndrome... maybe that syndrome has temperature weirdness. It certainly wasn't intended too.
As for the special suprise, I have no idea.

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2014, 02:16:36 pm »

Requesting a dorfing, as Talonis Wolf. Arrested for Heretical Beliefs, Hammering Without Authorisation, Contempt, Public Sobriety, Mild Killing Spree and Defending an Elf (because of it's pet Wolf).

Male, Preferably with Hammer Skill. Has ambition to be a Hammerer, and fanatical belief of numerous Wolf Gods.

And congrats on this piece of insanity! Nice to see Steelhold will have a legacy of likely chaotic per portions.
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2014, 07:27:42 pm »

I think I have everyone in the character post now, plus a link to Mask's post about plot.

By the way, Mask. Will you be genning the world once you finish getting the mod working, or do you want me to? It's just that if I gen the world, I'll probably take the first turn for simplicity's sake.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2014, 08:28:42 pm »

I think I have everyone in the character post now, plus a link to Mask's post about plot.

By the way, Mask. Will you be genning the world once you finish getting the mod working, or do you want me to? It's just that if I gen the world, I'll probably take the first turn for simplicity's sake.
Ah, yes, I should probably get to updating that post.

I'll send the stuff to you, Asmoth, I don't mind you taking the first turn.  Just gimme a little while to finish my junior paper and bugtest.

IN THE MEANTIME, is there anything more anyone wants to establish about their characters/new characters from any lurkers?

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2014, 10:20:00 pm »

Speaking of characters, what ever became of Thikut?

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2014, 10:22:07 pm »

Speaking of characters, what ever became of Thikut?
DUN DUN DUN!!!!!
But in all seriousness, let's leave some stuff to come out during the game itself.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2014, 11:00:21 pm »

Well, if we're going purely by game terms, she'd stay a child forever so her usefulness would be limited. Storywise, she seems set up to become either an assassin or cult leader, but we'll see how things play out. Her last confirmed movement was joining an elf trade caravan headed north from Steelhold.

Regarding characters, I'd prefer if dwarfs were in the fortress more than a year before they become overseer where possible, just to avoid the strangeness of an unknown person wandering in and taking control of a secure military stronghold that will probably be on the lookout for double agents.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 11:10:34 pm by Deus Asmoth »

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2014, 11:10:47 pm »

Well, if we're going purely by game terms, she'd stay a child forever so her usefulness would be limited. Storywise, she seems set up to become either an assassin or cult leader, but we'll see how things play out. Her last confirmed movement was joining an elf trade caravan headed north from Steelhold.
All right, I just wanted to know whether or not we should presume her dead.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 172