Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 172

Author Topic: Demongate: Wrapping up the Loose Ends.  (Read 673936 times)

Senshuken

• Bay Watcher
  • Defend till the end.
    • View Profile
Re: Demongate, a Succession Fortress Against Evil
« Reply #45 on: March 14, 2014, 05:37:24 am »

Do'er of things... I like it. It's an interesting title.

As for the Danger Room, I'm all for having one. Demongate is meant to be a boarder fortress designed to keep unholy horrors at bay, that means new recruits need to be given an ass kicking so that they might live long enough to take some of the invading horrors down.
Cause every silver lining has a cloud, and it won't be alright on the night; There's nothing at the end of the rainbow and there's a tunnel at the end of the light!

danmanthedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 14, 2014, 07:38:10 am »

Hmmm I just remebered something about my megabeast ater looking at it... its trainable and its a mount to so there might be bloodkin or gobbos riding them. :P

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 14, 2014, 07:42:51 am »

Hmmm I just remebered something about my megabeast ater looking at it... its trainable and its a mount to so there might be bloodkin or gobbos riding them. :P

That actually sounds badass. Do ittttt! What's the worst that can happen?  :P
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 14, 2014, 08:11:15 am »

As for the Danger Room, I'm all for having one. Demongate is meant to be a boarder fortress designed to keep unholy horrors at bay, that means new recruits need to be given an ass kicking so that they might live long enough to take some of the invading horrors down.

While danger rooms are really quite dorfy imo, they're still pretty exploit-y. A fort that's almost certainly going to be churning out a massive military really shouldn't be using something that broken or nothing will be a threat any more. Instead we should do mass live training (preferably automated) and just let combat and regular training handle the rest.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2014, 08:38:02 am »

While danger rooms are really quite dorfy imo, they're still pretty exploit-y. A fort that's almost certainly going to be churning out a massive military really shouldn't be using something that broken or nothing will be a threat any more. Instead we should do mass live training (preferably automated) and just let combat and regular training handle the rest.
As far as training goes, well-regulated hunting is usually a good way to train sharpshooters. As for melee and wrestling, that would depend on how old the world is.
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

danmanthedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 14, 2014, 10:19:22 am »

IS this a way to make it where most of the races are very low and about to go extinct except for the bloodkin, It make the game interesting because it make it harder to get new dwarfs also make it where pretty much only the bloodkin attaacks us always.

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 14, 2014, 10:42:47 am »

When you're dealing with modded creatures, sometimes they can get so overwhelming that a danger room is the only way to survive a decent amount of time. Spearbreakers comes to mind, although they tried to avoid it for as long as possible.
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 14, 2014, 01:53:15 pm »

Oh well, original came to a really interesting and fitting end. And I won't forgive myself if I miss the sequel too (wasn't here for a time).

I'll get biography finished soon. And, if my time allows, may try to oversee things once more.

Hm... I'm totally against danger rooms. Only organizing bloody arena battles, throwing squads of dabbling recruits onto eldritch horrors and sending military against dragons without shields may provide us with sufficiently crippled and burned badass corpses warriors!  ;)
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 14, 2014, 02:00:05 pm »

I'm against it in general, however, I do believe that it should be allowed in certain situations if it receives a majority vote. Losing is fun, but being utterly powned isn't.
GENERATION 32:

danmanthedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 14, 2014, 02:14:39 pm »

We could do the shaft of enlightenment bug but the dwarfs most survive from it and cant have any grasping or walking prombles for them to join the amry.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 14, 2014, 02:16:31 pm »

Really, we didn't overpower the Bloodkin in the slightest. I don't want to spoil, but they're actually as squishy as a dwarf in melee. The difficulty lies elsewhere.
I say at least give it a chance before we make that call. I've only used a danger room once in my games, and that forged a squad that could take out 5 sieges before random attrition and megabeasts wore them down. If we're a military settlement the military aspect of the fort should be a tad more challenging than that.

EDIT: Also welcome back Sarrak! A thousand fluffies shall be prepared in your honor.

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 14, 2014, 02:32:05 pm »

Also welcome back Sarrak! A thousand fluffies shall be prepared in your honor.
I'm somewhat disturbed, yet internally pleased by this eager sacrifice. It shall keep me occupied for some time... Maybe.

Really, thank you and everyone else for the epic saga, which I have yet to finish reading.

We could do the shaft of enlightenment bug but the dwarfs most survive from it and cant have any grasping or walking prombles for them to join the amry.
I think we can use Shaft to summon a Champion, blessed by Armok himself. If flow of the story demands so. But I'm still against it - Shaft gives just too much experience for nothing
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
Re: Demongate
« Reply #57 on: March 14, 2014, 03:39:26 pm »

I've never heard of a shaft of enlightenment before. Presumably it involves dropping things onto a dwarf? Or a dwarf onto things? In any case, we'll probably end up using as many traps as possible to avoid contact with the Bloodkin and their interactions.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 14, 2014, 03:55:29 pm »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=134512.0
It involves dropping sentient things onto spears, driving them absurdly potent fighters. Full-blown research with exact numbers and proper Z-levels begins on seventh page.

Traps... There must be one that drops entire surface directly into magma sea.

danmanthedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 14, 2014, 04:41:38 pm »

Also welcome back Sarrak! A thousand fluffies shall be prepared in your honor.
I'm somewhat disturbed, yet internally pleased by this eager sacrifice. It shall keep me occupied for some time... Maybe.

Really, thank you and everyone else for the epic saga, which I have yet to finish reading.

I think we can use Shaft to summon a Champion, blessed by Armok himself. If flow of the story demands so. But I'm still against it - Shaft gives just too much experience for nothing
Hmm how about we make it that after they do the spear they must go through a gauntlet of enemies and stuff wearing nothing at all(Also we could have them olny use wood weapons for balance issues.)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 172