Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 172

Author Topic: Demongate: Wrapping up the Loose Ends.  (Read 671548 times)

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
Re: Demongate: Battling Blood
« Reply #450 on: March 31, 2014, 11:11:55 am »

It gets from weird to hilarious and back to weird again  :o
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

danmanthedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: March 31, 2014, 11:16:13 am »

Well in the beginig I thought you named thane after thanetos to which is why my guy got paranoid by her/him.

Rhaken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: March 31, 2014, 11:56:01 am »

The year marched ever onwards, and Tarmid found himself taking time from his research in favor of regular meetings with the notables of Demongate. Most common were the two-hour meetings with Thane, two to three times per week, to further her education. There were meetings with Sir Brenzen to further the investigation into the missing Codex and the resident vampire, and discussions on strategy. Finally, the occasional meeting with Gnora regarding Tarmid's Writ of Schooling.

It was during one of Thane's late night lessons that they heard the noise. They were going over a chapter on elective monarchies, such as the one in effect in The First Iron.

"The concept of the elective monarchy first came about when our first king, Fikod Trumpettrammel, chose to abandon his duties as monarch in the year 24 without leaving a descendant. For several months afterwards, the nobles of Paddlewash, Bitebronze and Anvilape convened in the Sanctuary of Rims to decide who would inherit the throne." Tarmid turned the page. "Ultimately, they concluded that none among them were willing to abandon their own positions to rule an unstable kingdom still in its infancy."

"I could bore you with the specific names and details, but let's not." The scribe gave Thane a knowing smile. The details were there on the paper. All three pages of them. "In the end, the position fell to Eral Lensthunder, daughter of the baron of Paddlewash. Her rule was a time of stability and growth, though her dedication gave her little time to consider her many suitors. When she passed away, slain by the cyclops Spospo Cloudcontrolled, she was yet unmarried, leaving the First Iron once again without a monarch. So the election was held once again."

A crash deep within the fortress.

"What in blazes was that?"

Tarmid put an ear to the office's mudstone door. Hearing nothing, he peeked through the keyhole. All clear. He opened the door an inch, peeked outside. The stillness was quickly broken by the booming rasp of metal dragging on stone, as if someone was moving furniture. Could it be the sarcophagus?

He motioned for Thane to remain still, and she complied. Tarmid shut his eyes, blocking out his sight in favor of his hearing. Far beneath him, dim through the distance and silence, came the faint sounds of a struggle. There were many possible explanations for the sound, and none of them were pleasant. The safest course of action was to stay inside and barricade the door. But Tarmid knew full well that such a course of action could have a tremendous cost in dwarven life in the worst-case scenario.

He shut the door, slow and silent. He approached Thane, and spoke in a library whisper.

"Thane, something is going on down below. I propose we go find someone to help. Preferably, someone heavily armed."

He moved to the door, Thane on his heels. Though he could no longer hear the struggle, Tarmid felt certain that it wasn't over yet. Nothing bad ever ends quickly.

"We'll sneak through the halls as quick and quiet as we can. First Vlad, if he's sleeping in his bedroom. Then Sir Brenzen."

"Take no risks," he admonished. "I don't know what we're dealing with here, but I doubt it's as simple as a late night tantrum."

On his signal, the scribe opened the door and stalked outside, moving as silent as a cat on the prowl. He thought on the sarcophagus, how he had tried to examine it yet found nothing of particular interest. A quote sprang to mind, one believed to have been uttered by Grandmaster Cilob Helmedswallow himself.

If faith alone sufficed, the cynical knight had said, we would charge into battle naked.

The hairs stood on the back of Tarmid's neck. He felt naked in his light civilian garb, devoid of all protection in his midnight blue cloak. He mouthed a silent prayer of protection.

For tonight, faith would have to be enough.
Of course, he may have simply crushed the forgotten beasts with his massive testicles.

Forget a spouse, he needs a full time gonad wrangler.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: March 31, 2014, 12:30:56 pm »

The night was dark and full of terrors. Thane crept behind the scribe, pausing as he held up a hand. Tarmid motioned towards Vlad's room, then headed towards Brenzen's office. Thane sneaked up the stairs to her forge before she woke Vlad. Tarmid might be satisfied to face the unknown armed with nothing more than a quill, but she knew that she'd feel better with metal in hand. The weapons that she'd made had all been taken by the militia, but there was a sword she hadn't finished on the anvil. It didn't have an edge yet, but it would serve as a club. Comforted by the weight of the bronze, Thane walked quietly down the hall, shaking Vladamir awake once she reached him.
"Vell, zis is a pleasant surprise," he began, grinning, but stopped once he'd seen her expression and the weapon in her hand.
"There's someone fighting downstairs," she whispered. "We need some help."
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 12:34:52 pm by Deus Asmoth »
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: March 31, 2014, 12:37:26 pm »

Lokast slowly walked through the sleeping fortress. Pretty much everyone ignored him during daytime - and it rarely bothered him. Night was not an exception. Dwarves had much more important places to be - kitchens, watchtower and walls, their own studies or bedrooms... Lokast started to love such midnight walks. Alone and free to roam everywhere, he ended up in many different places. Some recent excavations. Artwork on the wall - a bit of stone dust still in the air. New stockpile. Fortress lived and reorganized itself.

Empty halls were silent. Perhaps, another dwarf would be less eager to walk here alone, but not Lokast. For some reason, unknown to him, fear of death never crossed his mind. He could worry a bit about lasting hands injuries, being scribe - but not death. It was just too simple and obvious to worry about.

Today, he was going to visit more active parts of the keep. Vampire threat had nothing to do with it - Lokast was fine about such risks. He just wanted to pass a letter to Tarmid and request a few books. They have seen each other in dining room or corridors from time to time, but never talked - or written - more than a few pleasantries. Tarmid was preoccupied with some research, while Lokast himself worked hardly on a theories centered around Dark Times, and was too raptured with them to continue on his quest. Well, there are personal things and passions, you know?

Longing sound of something heavy crashing onto stone interrupted his thoughts. Pausing for a moment, intrigued Lokast looked around and rushed to his destination. Strange sound was from there, anyway.

Passing Tarmid door - slightly opened, but empty, he slowed to pin down his request on some spiked furniture and, notebook in hands, hurried onwards.
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

danmanthedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: March 31, 2014, 01:26:06 pm »

Hmm I wonder how do I catch a demonmancer... *crash* what in gods sake was that? That sounded like it came from yhe sacaphogas... oh no, oh noo! VAMPIRE!!!!!!!!!! Everybody grab your weapons or at least a blunt *hack cough*object!!!!

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: March 31, 2014, 01:59:46 pm »

Hmm I wonder how do I catch a demonmancer... *crash* what in gods sake was that? That sounded like it came from yhe sacaphogas... oh no, oh noo! VAMPIRE!!!!!!!!!! Everybody grab your weapons or at least a blunt *hack cough*object!!!!
You're absolutely paranoid  :)
We're trying to investigate, while you're already calling fortress to arms to fight ancient eldritch horrors. Although everything is great, please, hear a piece of advice - don't just bluntly state: "Oh, crash! It must be from sarcophagus! Ancient vampire was unleashed!". Try something different even if you're paranoidal homicide. Also, not everyone even knew about sarcophagus first-hand...

jrrocks05

• Bay Watcher
  • serial killer at large
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: March 31, 2014, 02:00:25 pm »

Journal entry

Since my nightmares I have never been much of a sleeper. Being a warrior does that to you. So when I hear a huge crash I get curious. I am walking towards the sound with my sword when I see thane and vlad heading there too. Maybe I can offer my help...........
We fear not to walk in the valley of death for we are the baddest most vicious unforgiving motherf---en dwarves in this valley

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: March 31, 2014, 02:31:35 pm »

Surely if you thought that something was escaping from a coffin, your first thought should be of a mummy? I mean, in the dwarf fortress universe, vampires don't appear to do anything involving coffins that I've seen.

Ps. If a vampire gets raised as a zombie, do the strength multiplers stack? Because that would be kind of terrifying.

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: March 31, 2014, 03:08:36 pm »

As practice showed, different thralling effects stack. So, if reviving vampire as a zombie is possible (I think it id), he will get everything multiplied once more.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: March 31, 2014, 06:25:03 pm »

Eh, enough dice rolls and it'll go down. In the meantime, though, it'll crush everything that gets within melee distance.
Also, Corley's back? I have no idea where this is going. I'm a little frightened that he'll screw up the fort again with his mere, purely plot presence.
Vlad'll just do whatever Asmoth wants for now I guess.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: March 31, 2014, 07:03:25 pm »

Well, hopefully he'll just pretend to be the guy who sold the coffin and join the fortress, since in character he'd have had ample time to go legendary in his combat skills, which would leave everyone except maybe Brenzen a bit screwed. I'm guessing he ended up in the coffin via infighting, or perhaps plan gone awry (or plan gone correctly).

By the way, isn't it a bit odd how no one in Demongate aside from Vlad and, presumably, Gnora sleeps at night?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 07:08:57 pm by Deus Asmoth »

Rhaken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: March 31, 2014, 07:05:36 pm »

Isn't it a bit odd how no one in Demongate aside from Vlad and, presumably, Gnora sleeps at night?

Why would Tarmid sleep at night? That's the only time he isn't getting work orders to sign. Only time he can do some actual research.

Is Tarmid suffering from sleep deprivation? We shall see.
Of course, he may have simply crushed the forgotten beasts with his massive testicles.

Forget a spouse, he needs a full time gonad wrangler.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: March 31, 2014, 07:10:49 pm »

It's not looking good for Thane in any case. Sleep deprivation+stalking+regularly working with red hot metal= !!fun!!

danmanthedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: March 31, 2014, 07:15:51 pm »

Blaaa!!!! *breathing deeply* Oww my head.. stinky nightmares. What was it about a pig.... no wait it was about a sausage and a vampire. *Hack cough* Got to stop eating cheese before breakfest. *Crash* What, who, when, how? It must be thane or tarmid!
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 172