Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 172

Author Topic: Demongate: Wrapping up the Loose Ends.  (Read 674231 times)

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Demongate: There Are No Heroes
« Reply #945 on: May 03, 2014, 09:08:32 pm »

The hallway was so familiar, yet tonight it had a darkness to it that gave off a sinister air. The area itself had not changed much at all, but its uniformly-spaced stone doors and neatly smoothed walls no longer welcomed dwarf that was now but a visitor. She knew that the “Evening Prayer Group” had adjourned about three hours prior, and that Vlad was now, more than likely, recovered from the effects of the alcohol. At this time, he would be lounging in his office, planning the ways by which he would make it more noble-worthy.

The door no longer bore any sign to indicate its previous owner, though there was a rectangular section of it that was not quite as worn as the rest of the stone; it existed as a permanent reminder of what was once so, but is not any longer. The visitor did not even bother to knock on the door, instead she gripped the knob with both of her hands and forced her entire weight onto it. She was by no means strong, but several years of work in the fields and in the still had made her far stronger than she was when she first came to the fortress; that, and the door was old. It was forced to swing wide open into the office, causing the baron to turn his glance towards the visitor.

“Vell, if it isn’t the stupid-plant wench, yes? You could have scheduled an appointment instead of bargingk into Vlad’s office, you know,” he said with an expression that, in any other context, may have been mistaken for cordiality.

“I’d have seen you earlier if ya’ll hadn’t been so busy in the militia,” Gnora said, visibly trying to maintain composure.

“Ah yes! Vlad remembers now! I tell my troops to let in annoyingk farm-girls. Can’t be interruptingk trainingk, yes?”

“Vlad, I was able to swallow mah pride and I was able to live with sunshine in the fort, but you going too far lately.”

“Don’t vaste my time, little trollop. Unless you have come to confess about the seeds you disintegrated, you should be leavingk before I get angry and start cuttingk you.”

Gnora’s complexion began to turn pink, then her hands began to quiver. She tilted her head down and bit her lips.

“Fine then,” she whispered at last. “It was me; I was the one that did kill those seeds.”

“I knew it! Good to get off unsatisfyingkly unattractive chest, yes?”

Gnora paused for a minute and looked up at Vlad, who had taken to scribbling on a trade agreement from a past year whilst pretending to not notice her presence. The sight of the mercenary in her old office was almost too much to bear.

“Vlad?” she choked out.

“Vhat is it, plantophile?”

“Why have you done all this to me?”

Vlad smiled playfully. “You’re goingk to need to elaborate. My memory is beingk fuzzy.”

“You read my private letters, you call me out in your public addresses, you bring in drink from way out yonder, and then send in some goons to mock me with it; and now you take mah office. And what have you done to the others? Nothing. Ya’ll are hanging out late at night with the Padre; Brenzin, Barkov, Dantheman, and Miss Thane are all soldiers; now you the damn baron of this entire fort. I helped to found this fort, but I get the short end of this stick!

“I never liked you, I admit, but I was once overseer mahself. During that time, I did nothing to you; I left you be in your position as captain. I even ordered our smiths to forge more armor for ya’ll in the militia! Why are you purposely messing with me now that you in charge?”

Heretofore, Vlad’s expression was a sort of sadistic amusement derived from watching the tearful, exasperated dwarf before him. After Gnora was finished, however, his mood changed. He became annoyed with his visitor, and he was well prepared to put her in her place.

“Ugh! you really don’t get it, do you? The simple answer for you is that you’re useless, yes? You sit around all day pushingk seeds into ground and yankingk them up, just like all the other farmers. You’re no better than them, nor are you any more important. You’re veak, not very smart, and—most importantly—annoyingk to Vlad and the entire fortress. Is that reason enough for you? Vell?”

The tears were now streaming down Gnora’s cheeks, and she could no longer keep any of her emotion inside of her. She wasted no more time, rushing to the door and pulling it open. Before slamming the door shut behind her, she screamed to Vlad how much she truly hated him. After she was long-gone, Vlad began to stroke his beard thoughtfully.

“Talonis Volf might need to be vatchingk this one.”

Gnora’s Journal
Betrayed
--
It’s over; it’s all over. Everything that I did do for this fort, for my name, or for my life; they’ve all amounted to nothing. With Vlad’s politikal position, he might could change the fort’s opinions on me overnite. He’s already taken my office, but now he’s gone and taken my pride. Miss Thane: how could she sit back and let Vlad do all this to me? Is she still my friend? Was she ever? After all that’s happened, it’s posible that Vlad and her were just playing with me all along. Do I have a friend in anyone?

I’m gonna to stay as far away from those two as possible from now on. Ya’ll don’t have Miss Gnora to kick around anymore.
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: May 03, 2014, 09:14:20 pm »

Lol @ evil Vlad.

Vlad's feelings towards Gnora are basically;
a) Her dumbness threatens the fortress (Adamantine, Tarmid-blinding attempt, Sunshine/morale)
b) She hogs resources (having a fully decked out office while most of the militia was sleeping in unsmoothed bedrooms without cabinets and coffers)
c) He's entirely convinced she's trying to poison everyone against him.

I'm going to assume he's just trying to be enough of a jerk that she'll stop trying to influence things for a bit.

danmanthedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: May 03, 2014, 09:30:19 pm »

Hmm *HACK HACK COUGH COUGH* Huh is that Gnora... She seems upset. Oh no that's Vlad's office, that bastard! "Gnora wait up! Gnora what happened and what did Vlad do to you?"

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: May 03, 2014, 09:33:49 pm »

Oh no that's Vlad's office, that bastard! "

The funny thing is Dantheman and Vlad are supposedly friends.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: May 03, 2014, 09:41:31 pm »

A friend can recognize when you're being a jerk, and I imagined the friendship of the two to be a sort of friendly-hatred anyway.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #950 on: May 03, 2014, 09:43:12 pm »

A friend can recognize when you're being a jerk, and I imagined the friendship of the two to be a sort of friendly-hatred anyway.
And, of course, Vlad is a literal bastard.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: May 03, 2014, 09:45:47 pm »

And, of course, Vlad is a literal bastard.
True, Dantheman could have just been stating facts.

danmanthedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: May 03, 2014, 09:55:36 pm »

Wait when did become friends with Vlad?!? Have I been friends with him along. Also I think i'm more friendly with Gnona since the cheese incident.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: May 03, 2014, 09:56:47 pm »

Wait when did become friends with Vlad?!? Have I been friends with him along. Also I think i'm more friendly with Gnona since the cheese incident.

The in-game dwarves became friends during the spring of my turn when I took the military off patrol duty temporarily. Vlad also became friends with Brenzen, because the game does not give two shits what I write.

danmanthedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: May 03, 2014, 10:21:15 pm »

The in-game dwarves became friends during the spring of my turn when I took the military off patrol duty temporarily. Vlad also became friends with Brenzen, because the game does not give two shits what I write.
Haa game hates you and shit damm game making writing hard.

Senshuken

• Bay Watcher
  • Defend till the end.
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: May 04, 2014, 03:27:09 am »

Okay, now I'm interested. Who is Artyom friends with / hates?
Cause every silver lining has a cloud, and it won't be alright on the night; There's nothing at the end of the rainbow and there's a tunnel at the end of the light!

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: May 04, 2014, 06:34:41 am »

I will get around to adding quotes and such to the first/second post soon, though new players don't seem eager to read it anyway, judging by their forgetfulness regarding rules.

If Vlad has Gnora's office, does that mean that Tarmid's equipment has been moved/destroyed along with Gnora's?

Also, Flame, a little less detail in history would probably be better. I think we were assuming that the monarchs vanished rather than leaving a note saying 'Imma gone learn necromancy and stuff, c u l8trz'

The stone door thumped under her fist. There was a pause just long enough to irritate her, then:
"Come in."
"What have you done!?" Thane burst out as she pushed through the door.
Vladamir looked at her blankly. "Vell, I got up. I ate some breakfast, had some morning prayers. Then I vent for a-"
"You know what I mean!" Thane shouted. "Gnora's locked herself away, and she's refusing to talk to me!"
"Oh, her. I vas just tellingk her truth, you know? About how she is useless drain on our fortress's resources."
"How could you say something like that? Gnora was the leader of Demongate for a year, she provides food, she-"
"Destroyed most of our sunberry seeds, tried to blind our manager and decided that her office was more important than giving bedrooms to people that need them. She does nothing that at least ten other dwarfs cannot do better, and she actively sabotages the efforts of a fortress under military command. She is lucky I don't just execute her and be done with it."
"You had no right-"
"I had every right! I am the overseer of Demongate!"
Thane eyed Vladamir for a moment. "My apologies, your lordship," she said coldly. "If you'll excuse me, I have better things to do." The door swung closed quietly behind her as she began the walk back to the barracks. After a moment, another set of footsteps began behind her. Thane didn't bother looking back. There wouldn't be anyone there.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 12:32:51 pm by Deus Asmoth »
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: May 04, 2014, 07:57:16 am »

I was going to do a history book post about The Heroic Evil, but I was struck by the incredible accomplishments of Stozu Fangwraith the Young Sorrow of Portals, the (former) law-giver. You see, back in 365, the humans of The Obscure Nation attacked Seducemasters, a sparsely defended dark fortress. It was just like any other attack, where the goblins were outnumbered 100 to 1. But there was one difference: Stozu was there. She singlehandedly killed almost 2400 humans, after which the siege broke. The goblins made her their law-giver.

Later the goblins met the humans on the battlefield east of Seducemasters, but the human law-giver was smarter this time. After killing everyone but Stozu, the humans retreated with only 25 casualties, and wrote themselves in the history books as the victors of the battle. Then in 593 a different law-giver decided to crush the one-city barely-a-goblin-civ right next to several big cities. He led another army against Stozu at Seducemasters, and was soundly defeated after Stozu killed over 2000 humans, almost all of his army. The nearby civilizations got the picture after that, and the dying civilization finally got a chance to rebuild.

Also, the most likely bloodkin civ to attack us is The Incidental Board, and they only have 55 bloodkin. The single mountain hall they inhabit wasn't even theirs originally, but The Cudgel of Quietness's, which got taken over by The Golden Town. I imagine the last survivors of The First Iron's war on The Incidental Board fled to the mountain hall and kicked out the inhabiting dwarves. My history book doesn't recognize them as actual members of The Incidental Board because of this. In fact, the last mountain hall of the Cudgel of Quietness was originally owned by The Incidental Board!

In total, there are only 195 bloodkin living on the northern continent.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 08:05:28 am by TheFlame52 »

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: May 04, 2014, 08:26:09 am »

Asmoth, could you change Vlad's statement to "I am the Overseer of Demongate"? He doesn't really care about being a baron atm, though he does care about doing his job.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: May 04, 2014, 08:37:17 am »

For the next (if there is one) world, can we please not cull unimportant historical figures? Even if it gets rid of the people who are born, marry, have kids, and die, it also gets rid of the people who kill demons in battles and murder goblin law-givers. Also, can we get rid of spimmators because all they do is die of old age before anything important happens.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 08:40:33 am by TheFlame52 »
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 172