Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 172

Author Topic: Demongate: Wrapping up the Loose Ends.  (Read 665428 times)

danmanthedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Demongate, a Succession Fortress Against Evil
« Reply #105 on: March 15, 2014, 07:52:17 pm »

Journal Of Danman

To think I finally have proven my self worthy of the pilgrimage of forgotten times. Seems a lot of people are going to this Demongate place like me... Mostly are warriors or hired goons. To think that the time of ending is happening... anyone of these guys could be one of them in disguise, but could they stoop to that low of a level. They already killed the my cousin clan the ironbloods... proud race of dwarfs. I hope I can complete this pilgrimage and get back before they start attacking.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 15, 2014, 07:59:50 pm »

Also, I think that the starting team is Thane, Vladimir, Sir Brenzen, Gnora, Dantheman, Artyam, and Brother Cornelius.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 15, 2014, 08:00:27 pm »

I was browsing the internet and I found a picture that basically sums up Steelhold.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT: So the first embark has a hopeful/determined pioneer, a warrior out to prove himself and seek revenge, a honest and hard working smith, a somewhat naive farmgirl, a pious monk who's had it kind of rough, a zealous honorable knight... and then there's Vladimir, the oddly cheerful, thuggish, morally bankrupt cynic. Who to make matters worse is totally lacking in subtlety, shame and basic decency.

This should be fun.

EDIT2: NEVER RESPOND IN ANOTHER POST. ONLY EDITS. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 08:57:43 pm by MDFification »

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 15, 2014, 08:08:00 pm »

...the image says:

Just a heads up. Is it just me?
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 15, 2014, 08:10:02 pm »

I was browsing the internet and I found a picture that basically sums up Steelhold.

MDF: Could you just give us a link to the pic?
Still not working.  Go to the link they give, maybe?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 08:18:50 pm by 4maskwolf »

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 15, 2014, 08:32:49 pm »

It's actually super weird. When I click my links, I wind up at the image and its associated page. When I click TalonisWolf's link, it takes me to a 'This domain for sale' page... with the exact same name as the original hosting website.
I tried to joke and I accidentally broke the internet.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 15, 2014, 08:34:06 pm »

It's actually super weird. When I click my links, I wind up at the image and its associated page. When I click TalonisWolf's link, it takes me to a 'This domain for sale' page... with the exact same name as the original hosting website.
I tried to joke and I accidentally broke the internet.
What... is that picture...

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 15, 2014, 08:38:18 pm »

...strangely enough, I didn't even use the URL tag. At all. Yet there is still a link! HOW!?

Ninja'd:

What... is that picture...

That picture is standard Steelhold Procedure, which is to say, incredibly messed up. Move along.
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 15, 2014, 08:44:33 pm »

>tfw magic.
I believe it's standard procedure to blame Fractal any time something goes awry. I wonder how he got into my router.

I guess I shall describe the picture for you. It features a dwarf in ill-fitting cloths. His top had and twirlable mustache are reminiscent of villains in westerns. The dwarf seems to be making a plaintive gesture, but his face is all screwed up in a way that somehow makes him look like a slightly-angry con man.
On the image is a picture of the internet. The internet is weeping. This refers to the breaking of the internet by Steelhold in the third thread.

EDIT: After about an hour of it working for me, it suddenly reverted to what Talonis described. Armok. 
EDIT2: I fixed it by downloading it and reuploading it. Weh.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 08:58:18 pm by MDFification »

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 15, 2014, 08:46:33 pm »

>tfw magic.
I believe it's standard procedure to blame Fractal any time something goes awry. I wonder how he got into my router.
It's better not to ask.  It'll help you keep your sanity.

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 15, 2014, 08:55:11 pm »

Well, I found a way to post the image, for those who are suspicious of links:

And that's one less bit of Eldritchi to worry about. I hope.
GENERATION 32:

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 15, 2014, 09:06:14 pm »

Just bask in the glow of my technical genius. Mages that light themselves on fire. Non-euclidean image links. I once accidentally replaced the Kobold civ with Albatross.
Weirdly thought the turn that was actually playable I got in Steelhold was one of the few that didn't result in utter chaos and the death of 50% of the currently named dwarves.

EDIT: Once I opened photoshop I just couldn't resist.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 09:54:54 pm by MDFification »

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 15, 2014, 09:53:19 pm »

Sorry about my lack of activity; I am quite busy with sports.

Gnora's Journal
The Caravan
--
Well, I'm finally on my way. When the lee-a-sawn came to my old fortress and made the announcement that a new fortress was going to be established, I was so happy I could hardly hear anything else that he said! As soon as he displayed the volunteer-sheet, I made my way right up and signed it without a second thought. For whatever reason, that seemed to confuse the old noble.

Right now, I'm on the caravan heading to the new site. I'll tell ya', it's quite a group we have. There's one that appears to be some sort of smith; he has the same sweaty-look to his hair that I did see on the ones in my fortress. He was making conversation to an odd foreign dwarf with a thick accent; had a loose-tongue too, and said more than a couple things that made me blush. I decided to give them their space.

A couple of the other ones were of a more noble-type. I don't think that they were true nobles, but they had that educated and trained look to them. One was dressed in a robe, the other in simple clothing, though he had an iron weapon on his belt and what appeared to be a holy-symbol stitched onto his cloak. I tried to make light discussion, but they just glared at me when I began to speak. I don't think that they like me very much, so I'm just going to stay silent.

With nothing else to do, I've just been sitting here for a while, writing my thoughts into this little book given to me when I got into the wagon. Apparently, it's "standard practice to record one's thoughts in writing on such an expedition." I don't know what use that'll be to them, because I'm certainly not letting anyone else read this. But right now, all I can think of are the sprawling farms I'll plant when we arrive. There'll never be a shortage of plump helmets or cave wheat; we'll be set for life. No matter what the dwarves are like, I'll be content in my work.
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 16, 2014, 02:37:07 am »

It was an uneventful early winter day in the fortress Muraknazush. Shorast and Olon sat on the top of the wall playing dice, ever-watchful for any enemy who would try to pass.
"You tu'n, lad", - croaked Shorast with broken smile on his half-paralyzed face. Speaking was hard for him and doubly hard for anyone who tried to understand, yet he was still alive after all these years of neverending battles.
"Oh, sorry, thought I heard something", - apologized Olon.
" 'at, lad? Nothing - and I mean nothing! - 'ould c'eep he'e on it's o'n"
"Well... If you say so"
With a profound creak, old watchtower door opened, revealing captain Urist, clad in black mail, with a look of concentration on face.
"How's the watch?"
"Une'entful, si'e", - stood Shorast, dice long gone from the view. He threw a glance onto white-clad earth outside and suddenly freezed. - "Said too soon"
Down there was a figure clad in rags. It somewhat resembled a dwarf, which it was long ago. Now, it was a wild madman, with tangled hair and a forlorn look of half-dead eyes.
"So, watching the surface, eh?", - spitted captain.
"He 'asn't e'e a moment ago!"
"What's your business here?", - cried Urist on the top of his lungs, forgetting about his subordinates for a moment.
Silence.
"Hey, do you hear us?", - tried Olon after a minute of awkward silence.
No sound came. Stranger stood still, ignorant to the shouts and snowflakes that fell on him.
" 'at a c'eepy ello' ", - grumbled Shorast.
"Yeah, indeed...", - Urist once again tried to receive any reaction from a ragged dwarf.
"A zombie, maybe? Or that blood-something?"
Shorast's face blackened and he groaned:
"Don't lis'en to these anites, Olon. Thei ole bunch is stuffed 'ith mad ools dep'i'ed of eality and subme'ged in sel'-induced d'eams o e'oism..."
Old warrior had long relations of hate and even more hate with knights of St Zane. And even Urist, who firmly believed in their cause, tried not to argue with his subordinate every time Shorast went on about "anites".
"So, what we do?", - said captain, cutting short possibly endless speech.
"Just 'ait. Soone o late e 'ould eeze to death. O gone om ou 'alls"
"I say we take him to the manager", - proposed Olon.
Dwarves looked at each other.
"Yea, g'eat idea, lad"
"Let's go"

That day was like a first in a life of Lokast, a mute dwarf found on the outskirts of a fortress. He somewhat regained his sanity after seeing paper, writing on it and being properly fed. He could not remember anything that happened before seeing a wall of a fortress, yet possessed calligraphic writing style someone could only expect from a expert record keeper or historian.

Little of use firstly and under constant surveillance - naturally being suspected as a spy - Lokast soon proved himself in the eyes of fortress manager and was allowed to live quietly on the outskirts, doing what was needed, but mostly left to himself. Dwarves, firstly interested in him due to uniqueness, soon forgot that he even existed. Lokast was perfectly fine alone - and everyone else was perfectly fine without him.

For six years he lived at Muraknazush, but time has come to leave it behind. Lokast travelled far and wide in next four years, never standing for long anywhere, gathering information about the world and tiny bits he could remember and record about his previous self. Now, his path leads him straight to the Demongate.

Personal traits:
Lokast is polite and well-written, quite aware to the things around him, self-conscious and quite secluded. He rarely tries to converse with anyone, but if he does, his writing speed can prove to be capable of sustaining normal speed of discussion.

' I'm less. Yet I'm more. Neither sane nor mad. Dead but living forevermore. Or so says the first page of my diary... I'm Lokast. The Silent Scribe '

Specifics:
Any gender, but male if multiple variants are available (I still presume that Lokast would be female with my luck)
Profession is absolutely irrelevant, I'll go in direction the fortress most requires.

+ Gold eyes (if not present in civilization genes, go for "prefers being alone"/"reserved")
+ Prone to rage
- Pathetic intellect

So, raging golden-eyed intellectual male dwarf is a perfect candidature. Raging/golden-eyed normality is acceptable, but not preferred.

EDIT: I managed to gen a gold-eyed berserker in a migrant wave. So, Lokast must arrive somewhere in the second year. Just wait a bit and don't hurry to dwarf the first idiot you get  ;)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 02:56:45 am by Sarrak »
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

Senshuken

• Bay Watcher
  • Defend till the end.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 16, 2014, 05:32:19 am »

Ah yes, I forgot to give information on Artyom himself...

To whomever is reading this,

WHAT ARE YOU DOING READING OTHER PEOPLES DIARIES YOU SNOOPING ELF LOVER?!!

Still, if you're read this far I might as well give you something of a tale to read. My name is Artyom Barkov, and as of this moment I'm apart of a caravan with six other dwarves on route to strike the earth of a brand new fortress by the name of 'Demongate'. Its primary purpose, as far as I am aware, is to act as a first line of defense against unspeakable horrors from across the sea. While the whole thing is rather daunting, success or no history will recall that a Barkov was present at the founding of this vital fortress... unless of course history is completely lost under a tide of unspeakable horrors, in which case at least no one will remember how much we all screwed up, so silver lining.

Honestly, I'm not really sure what I'm going to be doing once we get things underway just yet. Many of the dwarves with us are warriors, solders or some kind of fighter (I'm not sure which to call them without insulting them) so there are going to be plenty of different jobs that need to be filled. Honesty, we're just going to have to wait and see what our new land is like and the challenges that present themselves to us. I only hope we're fit for the challenge.
Cause every silver lining has a cloud, and it won't be alright on the night; There's nothing at the end of the rainbow and there's a tunnel at the end of the light!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 172