Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 172

Author Topic: Demongate: Wrapping up the Loose Ends.  (Read 665404 times)

Rhaken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Demongate, a Succession Fortress Against Evil
« Reply #210 on: March 18, 2014, 08:46:44 pm »

Holy fuck the rabbit hole runs deep. I could be at this all night. It just gets juicier and juicier. And I'm still at year 47.
Of course, he may have simply crushed the forgotten beasts with his massive testicles.

Forget a spouse, he needs a full time gonad wrangler.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: March 18, 2014, 08:49:19 pm »

Holy fuck the rabbit hole runs deep. I could be at this all night. It just gets juicier and juicier. And I'm still at year 47.
You're very talented Rhaken. When the time comes, I trust that you weave us an history so complex that it will completely change the direction of the story.
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
Re: Demongate
« Reply #212 on: March 18, 2014, 09:05:43 pm »

I know that the vampire in charge of the other dwarf civilisation in the north only took control in the year 70, so perhaps things started calming down after that (and she had over eleven thousand notable kills, so I'm a bit disappointed I changed the civilisation.)
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

Rhaken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: March 18, 2014, 09:08:17 pm »

I know that the vampire in charge of the other dwarf civilisation in the north only took control in the year 70, so perhaps things started calming down after that (and she had over eleven thousand notable kills, so I'm a bit disappointed I changed the civilisation.)

I won't be revealing much yet, but I will say this:

That vampire has got NOTHING on us. NOTHING.

EDIT: Found a bloodkin attack dating back to 156. Investigated said bloodkin. A farmer (with all the terrible implications that brings) with 228 kills.

Also, one thing I should mention about the original Steelhold that went completely under the radar since I couldn't shoehorn it in (and I might be able to now, if I find something that resembles a connection): Remember that one god everyone and their grandma worshipped? Bobrur Fragranceglitter the Bodices of Romancing? Worshipped by such notable dwarves as Rhaken, Emdief, Corley, and, well, everyone in Steelhold?

She's the one who cursed Tun and Likot with vampirism.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 09:19:33 pm by Rhaken »
Of course, he may have simply crushed the forgotten beasts with his massive testicles.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: March 18, 2014, 09:23:39 pm »

Also, one thing I should mention about the original Steelhold that went completely under the radar since I couldn't shoehorn it in (and I might be able to now, if I find something that resembles a connection): Remember that one god everyone and their grandma worshipped? Bobrur Fragranceglitter the Bodices of Romancing? Worshipped by such notable dwarves as Rhaken, Emdief, Corley, and, well, everyone in Steelhold?

She's the one who cursed Tun and Likot with vampirism.
Could she be... one of the Old Gods in disguise!

EDIT: I do like the "terrible implications" that Legends mode can bring.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 09:29:12 pm by Gnorm »

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: March 18, 2014, 09:31:04 pm »

Speaking of old gods, it's entirely possible that survivors of Steelhold could be posing as gods now. It's hundreds of years after Steelhold, so they've been around a long time, the gods of DF mostly do nothing except create vampires (which pretty much any survivor of the prison would be capable of) and werebeasts (more difficult, but there was a lot of magic flying around) and there's plenty of demons that get away with posing as human shaped gods even though they're made of vomit. All they'd need would be the occasional blood sacrifice and they're pretty well set up. Just a possible plot point.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: March 18, 2014, 09:33:59 pm »

1 Granite:
"Consider this the announcement of my resignation from the position of overseer, and passing it on to..." Thane choked on the words, "passing the mantle on to Sir Brenzen, on account of... military needs."
Sir Brenzen stepped forward, turning to face the assembled dwarves,
"It is with humility that I accept this appointment.  There are many changes that need to be made around here, specifically regarding certain... unethical practices benefiting of followers of Armok.  But fear not, fellow dwarves, this will be a time of righteousness and peace for all of dwarvenkind."

danmanthedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: March 18, 2014, 09:36:36 pm »

Hmm could it be possible that a dwarf evolved to elder god status in a short time? I say that we must search more into the history, also has any of my megabeasts still alive?

Edit- mother trucker ninjaed me

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: March 18, 2014, 09:40:55 pm »

Speaking of old gods, it's entirely possible that survivors of Steelhold could be posing as gods now. It's hundreds of years after Steelhold, so they've been around a long time, the gods of DF mostly do nothing except create vampires (which pretty much any survivor of the prison would be capable of) and werebeasts (more difficult, but there was a lot of magic flying around) and there's plenty of demons that get away with posing as human shaped gods even though they're made of vomit. All they'd need would be the occasional blood sacrifice and they're pretty well set up. Just a possible plot point.
I think all of the non-confirmed survivors became bloodkin, and some of them were probably killed when the fort collapsed. Speaking of which, were the heroes modded into the shapes-files?

Rhaken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: March 18, 2014, 09:43:45 pm »

One thing we never settled on was how active the Ascended of Steelhold are. My money is on them stay distant but watchful, though having them collectively take up the mantle of godhood would be an interesting turn.

Sidenote: sixth monarch now, year 258. I swear this world was written up by a bizarre mix of George R. R. Martin and Steven Erikson. While high.

I see this as a good thing.

EDIT:

I think all of the non-confirmed survivors became bloodkin, and some of them were probably killed when the fort collapsed. Speaking of which, were the heroes modded into the shapes-files?

I hope they were. Also, a confirmed survivor of Steelhold was Rhaken's son, Stinthad Abbeylanced. He was busy being possessed by mysterious forces at the end.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 09:47:31 pm by Rhaken »

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: March 18, 2014, 09:56:21 pm »

Deep beneath the crust of out world, beyond the great blue seal and the fiery tomb, lies a place of destruction and horror.  Dwarves fear this place, for they know the evil that lurks beneath the world, even while the humans and elves remain oblivious to the danger.  Beneath the earth is a realm of unspeakable horrors, where terror and death rule supreme over all else.  To the dwarves, this is the final hell.

Legend tells that the greatest warriors of Steelhold were struck down in a valiant attempt to purge hell.  Few believe the old stories any more, but those who do view it as a cautionary tale: even the greatest of heroes can succumb to the darkness.  Even the noblest of warriors can falter.

What the legends forget is that hell does not simply exist beneath the earth.  The powers behind hell, far more powerful than any mere demon, plot the downfall of the gods and the destruction of dwarven civilization.  For the dwarves, created of the blood of Armok himself, represent the greatest challenge to they and their progeny, and it is for this that they wish them dead.  These powers can extend their reach past the great blue seal, twisting the minds of the angry, the confused, the grieving.  And yet Armok does not come to aid us, does not fight these powers in their own game.  For Armok cares little for his progeny, for he considers them weak and expendable.

This is why, my brothers and sisters, we must submit to the darkness below, for in them we can find true power.  In them, we can strike back against our traitorous creator who leaves us here to die.  In them, we shall know peace once more.

Excerpt from the Codex Arcana

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: March 18, 2014, 10:04:48 pm »

One thing we never settled on was how active the Ascended of Steelhold are. My money is on them stay distant but watchful, though having them collectively take up the mantle of godhood would be an interesting turn.

Sidenote: sixth monarch now, year 258. I swear this world was written up by a bizarre mix of George R. R. Martin and Steven Erikson. While high.

I see this as a good thing.

EDIT:

I hope they were. Also, a confirmed survivor of Steelhold was Rhaken's son, Stinthad Abbeylanced. He was busy being possessed by mysterious forces at the end.
Possessed by mysterious forces, eh.  That sounds fun for story.

Rhaken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: March 18, 2014, 10:07:37 pm »

I have a half-finished story about him and his brother somewhere. Might get around to finishing it. For now, back to digging through Legends.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: March 18, 2014, 10:14:36 pm »

For, brothers and sisters, the minds of those touched by these powers are not driven mad.  They are told the truth of their existence, as I am telling you now.  The secrets the false ones would hide from them are revealed, and to some dwarves, the strain is too much to bear.  But to those who survive, my brothers and sisters, the reward is great.  For the true gods reward their followers, both here and in the next life.  Think on this: what has Armok ever done for you?  He has done nothing for you, nothing to help any of dwarvenkind.

This may be confusing to you, and I can understand.  I did not want to believe the truth when I first heard it, but in time the truth became unavoidable.  To help you in your journey, let me tell you a story of greatness, of honor, of loyalty, of truth.  This is also a story of treachery, of disbelief, and of heathens, and the one mortal who overcame it all.  Her name has been purged from the histories, for she was the greatest speaker of truth of any time.

This is the story of Oku Constructcudgel.

Excerpt from the Codex Arcana

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: March 18, 2014, 10:33:06 pm »

I wouldn't say Thane has much of a problem with giving control of the fortress to Brenzen, by the way. She doesn't understand why he's so serious, but she doesn't dislike him.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 172