Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 172

Author Topic: Demongate: Wrapping up the Loose Ends.  (Read 665391 times)

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Demongate, a Succession Fortress Against Evil
« Reply #315 on: March 23, 2014, 09:33:51 pm »

Gnora was about to respond to the crazy dwarf that had yelled in response to her outburst -- who had also mispronounced her name -- but she was cut off by the volunteer's voice. Gnora was trembling; she did not want this to happen, but she couldn't find her voice again. She covered her eyes in anticipation for the sacrifice, but quickly found out that Brenzen had no intention of murdering the dwarf. She felt her face turn red with embarrassment, and she wished that she could withdraw her earlier statement. All she could hope for was a legitimate reason for this selection, for she did not want the experience to be for nothing.
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: March 23, 2014, 09:49:12 pm »

After the oath was finished, Brenzen asked Olin to return to the crowd and addressed the other dwarves,
"You may wonder the reason behind what you have just seen.  For surely, you think, I could have just appointed another knight, should they have wanted it.  This may be so, but this was an example to you all.  In the face of danger, only one of you was willing to die so that the others would live.  Only one of you had the courage to do what all dwarves boast about.  Only one of you could work past your fear and offer yourself up, convinced you were going to die.
A time of darkness is upon us, I fear, and it will take the courage of many to maintain the light of dwarvenkind.  In time, many of you will answer the call to protect, whether as a knight or a guard or a member of the militia.  How, and when, is up to you.  But when you do, remember this day.  Remember the courage of Olin here, who was willing to die for all of you, even those she did not know.  Remember your family and friends, those who are worth dying to protect.  For while our fortress might fall before the onrushing darkness, we must make it so that if that happens, our sacrifice will be the one that breaks the back of the darkness, that ensures that the light of dwarvenkind will shine for all generations.  This is the task set forth for us by forces both mundane and mystical, and at this task we must not fail.  Remember that I am one of you, and that I will die to protect the fortress and all of its inhabitants.
May the light of Armok light your paths."
With that, Brenzen signaled that the meeting was over, and the crowd began to disperse.

danmanthedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: March 23, 2014, 10:09:40 pm »

Gnora was about to respond to the crazy dwarf that had yelled in response to her outburst -- who had also mispronounced her name -- but she was cut off by the volunteer's voice. Gnora was trembling; she did not want this to happen, but she couldn't find her voice again. She covered her eyes in anticipation for the sacrifice, but quickly found out that Brenzen had no intention of murdering the dwarf. She felt her face turn red with embarrassment, and she wished that she could withdraw her earlier statement. All she could hope for was a legitimate reason for this selection, for she did not want the experience to be for nothing.
Hmm I didn't know that sorry for that also really I want to sacrifice something to please the Great goddess!

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: March 23, 2014, 10:10:36 pm »

Gnora's Journal
Brenzen's Stunt
--
That confounded Brenzin! Today he called us all into the meeting hall and told us that one of us was to become a sacrifice. A small fight was breaking out, but one dwarf stepped up to offer herself. I do declare that I was downright frightened for her life, but just then Brenzin simply knights her instead! He then begins to go on about how "she was the bravest" and that "we all must give our lives to fight the darkness." I think that knight is a nervous wreck; he ought to have some beer and a long rest.

Actually, I have begun to fear that knight. He moves the soldiers to the entrance of the fortress, constantly warns us about some imagined darkness, and now he pulls this stunt. Now that I think about it, I realize that the he was just trying to recruit another body-guard. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if he set the dwarf's volunteering up himself. But what could he possibly want? There's no money to steal and the gobs ain't here yet. Perhaps…

No, I cannot dream such a thing. Surely Brenzin at least
believes that he's doing the fort good. Banish those thoughts of your's or you going to get yourself hurt!
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: March 24, 2014, 04:16:41 am »

Where am I? Who am I?... well, it's overreaction, I think. I am me, Brother Cornelius. And I'm here, in the masonry workshop. And what am I doing here? Aha, the statue. I must have been asked to carry the statue somewhere.. no? Have I made it myself? Wow. Don't remember anything... what was that - an old-matured dwarven wine with a handful of quarry bush leaves? Or rum coctail with emeral dye powder? Shit, I have to recall! Should try every stuff I drank yesterday and record the effect...

What does the statue describes, btw?

What's thre? I'm busy exprmntin on myself.. hic! Ser Brenzn is calln for metng? Ookay... Got to record it for the chronicles
"Dwarves of Demongate!"
*writing* dorfes of Dmengate
"I don't suppose any of you understand why you were called here today?"
*writing* why we ur her tday
Oh, a srprize! I llike srprizes! Cheers!
"As some of you will recall, when I took charge of the fortress I made a promise to all of you.  I promised to bring this fortress into righteousness and glory, to purify this fortress of the evil that taints the world.  And now I am here to fulfill my promises."
*writing* in chrge to glory evil take over the wrld, my promise. Eh.. wut?
In order to obtain Armok's blessing, he must be pleased with a great sacrifice by us.  But what do we have to sacrifice?  One of you, and only one, shall submit to a ritual in which you will die for the good of the fortress.  In doing so, we shall claim Armok's blessing and bring the world into a new age of glory and righteousness.
*writing* s-a-c-r-i-f-i-c-e only 1 ritual for the god Armok new age glory. Is he crazy?!
I must warn you, only one with pure heart and beliefs shall be deemed worthy by Armok.
Now, decide.  Who shall volunteer themselves for this glorious cause?"

*slaps the writing plaque* Hey Bretzn, what's al the action about? Ar ur crazy?! *steps on someone's cat and falls upside down causing a disorder in the crowd* Hey, Shut up ever'one I don't hear a word!
*Olin nominates herself and Bretzen knights her*
Ah, that's was it. Not a great deal. Got to pr'pare the hosptal, 'cause the's gonna be some woundies soon. *writes* Olin is a new knight of St. Zane. Armok help us all.
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Rhaken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: March 24, 2014, 07:19:32 am »

"It is said that in the latter days, no dwarf could have bested St. Rhaken in the ring of honor. Yet it is known that St. Zane had slain scores of enemies, far more than the Elder Saint. In some accounts, it is recorded that the Divine Priest routed entire sieges single-handed. Divine inspiration, you say. Yet if that is true, why did St. Zane perish in demonfire, as did St. Rhaken?"
Cilob Helmedswallow, 23rd Grandmaster of the Knights of St. Zane
Knight's Folly, Ch. 17, Discourse III, vv. 1-2

Tarmid set the tome down. Grandmaster Cilob was a point of contention for many of the Knights. The more devout numbers denounced his writings as borderline heretical, while the more practical took his lessons to heart. Tarmid could not bring himself to agree with either party. Especially since most of them never read past the second verse.

Rising from his chair, he moved to the neat stacks of books in the corner of his office - feeling the need for some filing cabinets - to pick up another volume, one the Order had been kind enough to procure for him and send along in the caravan. As he reached the pile, there was a knock on his office door.

"Come in."

It was Thane, founder of Demongate, here to pick up the work orders. After exchanging pleasantries, Tarmid handed her a stack of papers. After some small talk, Thane left the office, leaving Tarmid to his own devices. A pity she was involved with Vladamir. She was a comely lass, and intelligent to boot. Oh well. He would have to fish elsewhere. At least Vlad was in good hands.

Back to the books. He bobbed around the stacks to the ones at the very back, just far enough from the wall to avoid dampness or damage. He carefully lifted an armful of books, revealing a small but sturdy granite coffer. The scribe heaved the coffer into his arms and carried it back to the center of the room, laying it upon his desk after clearing it of papers.

Tarmid's shoulders slumped. He lit the sacred candle, warmed his hands in its flame. Then he knelt and prayed, as is mandatory before tackling this particular type of literature. Only faith and a will of steel could shield his mind from the temptations of knowledge such as this.

His prayers over, he opened his eyes and rose, watching the stone box as one would watch a violent madman. The flickering candlelight played upon its ornate surface. The signet of the order on the lid cast a quavering, unstable blackness. On the front, below the lock, carven figures danced in shadows, writhing in the glow. Their twisted features sneered at Tarmid, their shifting maws almost talking to him, beckoning, insulting, baying for his immortal soul.

The scribe took a deep breath, waiting for his stomach to settle. Then he unsealed the lock and lifted the lid. Inside the chest was a single tome, bound in moonstone, as the original was said to be. Tarmid lifted the book and laid it down on his desk like it was made of crystal glass. He opened it to the title page, doing all he could not to stare at the flickering abominations at the corner of his vision.

He read the title, written in the human language.

My Thoughts on Death
by Amsan Jestedbow

Uncensored Replica
Custody of the Order of St. Zane
For Higher Scribes Only

Added preface by Solon Entryboots,
14th Grandmaster of the Order of St. Zane

After a short prayer, Tarmid turned to the preface, the only section of the book written in dwarven. A call for caution and discretion lasting three pages, wherein the Grandmaster warned against putting anything within the book into practice, under pain of execution. A similar preface could be found in all such forbidden tomes. It invariably ended with a quote attributed to St. Rhaken, patron of strategists.

'Know your enemy. Know yourself. Or you may never know victory.'

Tarmid turned to the first page of the book proper, once again in the human tongue. He steeled himself, shoulders tensing, and began to read.

It was time to know the enemy.
Of course, he may have simply crushed the forgotten beasts with his massive testicles.

Forget a spouse, he needs a full time gonad wrangler.

danmanthedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: March 24, 2014, 08:53:00 am »

"I know we must have more information about thanatos in the fort some where but I just can't walk up to the overseer and ask him, hmmm wait maybe the bookkeep has one." Knock, Knock. " Tarmid you in there, hello. Dang hes not he... that smell and this feeling.... black tomes! t]The deepest sealed books of black magic and nightmare creatures, if Tarmid has one then something is really going on in the fort. I got to find out more information."
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 08:55:42 am by danmanthedog »

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: March 24, 2014, 09:38:14 am »

Sir Brenzen sat in his room, pondering the ritual candle in front of him.  Even though he was not privy to the going's on in the world, he knew the bloodkin were coming.  Something deep in his bones told him that this mission was certain death, and yet he had faced this mission like any other.  The others, however... how did they not know.
Today was the St. Rhaken's day, a day for planning and setting plans into motion.  That was why he had chosen this day, the 20th of Malachite, to make his announcement.  The fortress would have to be strong to face the oncoming darkness, and for that the military had to be expanded.  There were many who would hate him for the stunt he just pulled, many who would call him mad, but everythinig he did was for the good of the fortress.
With a sigh, he lit the candle that sat on the table before him.  He bowed his head and prayed,
"St. Rhaken, great leader, please assist your followers.  Guide them, instruct them, and most of all, teach then, for without you they are disorganized and unsteady."
Sir Brenzen paused for a moment, then deviated from the script of the prayer,
"I know you are the patron saint of the scribes, but we will soon find ourselves at the crossroads of history, a time when darkness clashes against light.  By you and all of the other saints, we will fight, but without guidance we will fall."
Sir Brenzen sat back, then began reciting the nightly rituals...

Olin descended into the fortress, seeking out Tarmid.  The duties of the knighthood felt overwhelming, and she needed to talk to someone associated with the knighthood who wasn't Sir Brenzen.  Sir Brenzen was a good teacher, but he was not the most understanding dwarf, and she felt like Tarmid was a dwarf she could rely on for help.
Tentatively, she knocked on his door, "Tarmid?"
There was no response from the other side, and she slowly pushed the door open.  The room was bigger than she had thoughts, desks and bookshelves scattered around the room haphazardly.  Tarmid did not seem to be present.  She turned to leave, but a faint glow from the other side of the room caught her eye.  She cautiously approached the source of the glow, a book on a small shelf in the corner of the room.  The books around it were covered in horrific pictures, and she dared not look at them, but this one... there was something special about it.  She pulled it from the shelf, looking at the cover.  In dwarven, the title said:

The Codex Arcana: Ancient Secrets of Dwarvenkind
She stared, fascinated, for some time, then put the book in her backpack and left the room.  Surely there was no harm in borrowing this book for a while...

Senshuken

• Bay Watcher
  • Defend till the end.
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: March 24, 2014, 10:21:25 am »

Ooohh boy... Where to begin here...

Sir Brenzen pulled off one hell of a stunt yesterday. I personally wasn't there since I need to ensure that one of the tunnels wasn't going to just randomly collapse but from what I heard of it... This is the sort of thing you only get to get away with
once!

Still, seemingly unlike any of the others, I do remember why Demongate was founded. We're here in order to act as a first line of defense against horrors from across the sea and I must confess that the fact that Sir Brenzen is taking that duty seriously despite the current lack of mind shattering monsters from the depths of hell itself is comforting but that didn't stop me from managing to work a few minutes into my day to speak with our knightly overseer about yesterdays event.

I was respectful towards him because I honestly do get what he was trying to do and I told him as such, but I was rather blunt when I warned him that if he tried to pull some bullshit like this again with the dwarves of this fortress, it would do more harm then good. I'm not quite sure how he took it, since he should have a lot of training to fall back on to remain calm even when angered and I needed to get back to work, but hopefully I'm not going to find myself impaled in my sleep for speaking my mind to him.

Well, only one way to find out... 
Cause every silver lining has a cloud, and it won't be alright on the night; There's nothing at the end of the rainbow and there's a tunnel at the end of the light!

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
Re: Demongate
« Reply #324 on: March 24, 2014, 10:35:30 am »

How do you all want to handle the turn list here, by the way? Should we just cycle through the list again once we reach the last player, or have everyone request additional turns again?
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
Re: Demongate: Battling Blood
« Reply #325 on: March 24, 2014, 11:20:58 am »

It's better to request in my opinion. Some other players, who don't have a lot of time for now, may try when they have a free week or two, and it can be otherwise for someone on the list.
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

danmanthedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: March 24, 2014, 01:07:49 pm »

I also agree on requesting.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: March 24, 2014, 01:44:03 pm »

Ok then. Oh, Tarmid's not the bookkeeper, Dan. Unless Mask changed the nobles, Tarmid's the manager and Thane's the bookkeeper.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: March 24, 2014, 01:44:45 pm »

Ok then. Oh, Tarmid's not the bookkeeper, Dan. Unless Mask changed the nobles, Tarmid's the manager and Thane's the bookkeeper.
No changes to the existing hierarchy have been made.

jrrocks05

• Bay Watcher
  • serial killer at large
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: March 24, 2014, 02:05:30 pm »

Thanatos journal entry 4

Brezin how dare he the religious bastard. They say I am a heretic for not believing in armok. He walks in scares the entire fort then trusts a random dwarf with their precious knighthood. Does your title even matter if he can not fight. What if the dwarf is suicidal. What if this was planned before hand. Dang I need to reconnect to the Olympians to see if they have found out anymore about the bloodkin or if their being pushed back. I wish Hermes would show up with the next caravan

We fear not to walk in the valley of death for we are the baddest most vicious unforgiving motherf---en dwarves in this valley
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 172