Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 172

Author Topic: Demongate: Wrapping up the Loose Ends.  (Read 670767 times)

Spear

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Noob☼
    • View Profile
Re: Demongate: Battling Blood
« Reply #585 on: April 11, 2014, 02:41:45 am »

is Rith Brandedpaddle captain x?

Spear

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Noob☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: April 11, 2014, 04:04:01 am »

Jim-
Today was a busy day for our farms, the wagon to Demongate was supposed to arrive so everyone was finishing their packing and saying their goodbyes... but we have been waiting all day and its getting dark now. My neighbor came by and gave my this old journal, he said its good luck. It has some strange writing in the back, I know how to read and write thanks to my parents being head of the farming order here, but the words don't make sense.. anyways I decided to just start my own journal in the front of the book. Although at first I wasn't looking forward to leaving I put some thought into it and this place is dull I don't want to live my life as "the farmer with the weird name, you know.. uh Jim the tenth or something" I want to be written in some history books for something... anything...

Finally time to rest.. We were woken up so early, the wagon finally arrived only a few hours after I fell asleep. The caravan was filled with all kinds of strange dwarfs and these two Squires were determined to make up the time they lost, apparently it was all this sergeants fault or something, regardless I feel safer with him here but I wonder why they need such experienced and skilled dwarfs to go to this new town. 

After travelling in silence for a few hours-
Jim (nudging the dwarf next to him)-
"so, do you know why they need all this help  at Demongate?"
"Heh.. your in for a surprise. Were going to a military fort, at least that's what I signed up for, Supposedly this place is here to protect the Mountain-homes from the Bloodkin"
Jim "The Bloodkin? Those are just stories they don't actually exist.."
One of the squires listening in quickly responded with slight anger "Of course they exist! The Bloodkin are the whole reason Demongate was started!"

-Jim didn't say another word as the three shared a common hatred of the Bloodkin through tales and Legends, with a few others joining in including Rith Brandedpaddle.

We arrived! I'm not sure what to expect but I am excited.. by the way the others in the caravan were talking I was afraid there might be no Demongate to arrive at, but after traveling all night long I can finally rest. This place is strange. The fields are filled with traps, all of the dwarfs seem to be in a hurry.. and, ALL THE DWARFS! there are so many! I normally keep to the fields but the few times I've seen the city it was never this full.. this place is so.. different.

23 Malachite 656

Someone died today... I feel safe though, it was just one dwarf among the squads that fought a 7 HEADED HYDRA! I'm glad this fortress can defend itself but a HYDRA!? I guess this place really is a military fortress. Not to mention the occasional visits by Elf's and Goblins, I got to see both for the first time in my life, although the goblins were dead I cant complain.
In other news Gnora has been very helpful, she was impressed by what I know about farming although I avoided the fields as much as I could at home.. I'm not going to tell her how much I despise farming, it seems to be what she lives for.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 07:55:22 pm by Spear »

Senshuken

• Bay Watcher
  • Defend till the end.
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: April 11, 2014, 04:10:14 am »

...I've recently made a decision.

I am not a knight by any means, but... when I get the opportunity I plan to ask Sir Brenzen to become a member of his squad. While I admit that the two of us aren't the closest of friends or anything, we were both here to found Demongate and it just feels wrong to watch him go out onto the battlefield alone. While I've recently heard that he has gained two squires from the Order, I still fully intend to make the request.

Am I proud of the work I've done as a miner so far, but its time that I took a more active role in the defense of our fortress. Besides, its better to sign up and get the best weapons and training one can get while you have the time and chance instead of being handed a weapon you don't know how to use when the gate is breached. Call it a premonition, but I suspect that is going to happen some time down the line... all one can do is be ready for it.

Artyom Barkov
Cause every silver lining has a cloud, and it won't be alright on the night; There's nothing at the end of the rainbow and there's a tunnel at the end of the light!

Rhaken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: April 11, 2014, 04:58:17 am »

is Rith Brandedpaddle captain x?

No, Captain is Captain. You were dwarfed sometime during Gnorm's turn.
Of course, he may have simply crushed the forgotten beasts with his massive testicles.

Forget a spouse, he needs a full time gonad wrangler.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: April 11, 2014, 06:16:02 am »

It was a closed casket funeral. It had to be, after what Catten had been through. Thane had heard that humans held lavish ceremonies to bury the dead, but the dwarfs of the First Iron were less sentimental. Only Rith, a few close friends and Thane watched as Catten was laid to rest. If tears were going to be shed, it would be done in private, but most dwarfs preferred to drown their grief in booze or bury it in anger. She stood numbly as Brother Cornelius slurred his way through a few lines of religion. He was the closest Rith had been able to find to a priest. Brenzen probably would have done a better job of it, but he didn't want anyone associated with the military involved. Cornelius closed his book and left, and one by one, Catten's friends did the same. Thane hesitated, then approached Rith.
"I'm sorry," she said.
"You should be!" spat Rith. "Filling her head with stories about heroes! What right do you have to still be breathing when this is all your fault?"
Rith pushed past, leaving Thane standing by the coffin. She quietly made her way upstairs, where Cornelius was already making up for the booze he'd lost out on at the funeral.
"Thane!" Vlad shouted happily. "Join us and drink crappy booze to celebrate our glorious victory! Vot is wrong?"
"There are no heroes," she answered quietly, pulling a barrel towards her. Something told her it would make her feel better. And if it didn't, she'd just have to send another one down to see why it was slacking off.

If we make crafts out of the hydra's bones, we'd probably be rich.

Thanatos has been in the militia since the first year.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

danmanthedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: April 11, 2014, 07:33:36 am »

*exhale deeply*Hm to think we were attacked by a hydra, ha first time seeing one of those. Wait I wonder if I could use hydra meat... *hack cough* it could work but I couldn't smell one bit of magic on that thing. I wonder if that magic user knows any thing about these "megabeasts". *opens door to tarmids office* "Tarmid good to see you up and running... hows the blood drinker? Also have you thought about my items I need?

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: April 11, 2014, 09:17:27 pm »

Say Rhaken, how far along are you in the turn? Not to rush, just curious.

Rhaken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: April 13, 2014, 02:27:42 pm »

Say Rhaken, how far along are you in the turn? Not to rush, just curious.

Turn is done. Currently writing the update. It be a long one, folks.

Here's a small event to tide you over. It's completely out of order with the rest, but it felt more interesting (and quicker to write) than the rest of the stuff.

It early in the month of Moonstone, and already the first snowflakes drifted down to kiss the earth and blanket the surface world. Children played games and built snowdwarves, mirthful in their innocence to the ways of the world. Far less joyful were the masons, who were busy putting the roof on the marksdwarf towers and didn't like the idea of working over a wet platform. In an even fouler mood were the Vultures, who were under Vlad's orders to continue training in their roofless barracks despite the increasing chill. If the Knights had the fortitude to train in the snow, Vlad reasoned, then so did his boys. Besides, it builds character.

A panicked shout called the attention of the soldiers. A breathless craftsdwarf came up to them to warn that a troglodyte had passed the trap at the cavern entrance and was now roaming the residential district, frightening the dwarves and generally making a nuisance of itself. Vlad and Brenzen rallied their soldiers, shouted terse orders, and headed down into the fortress.

The troglodyte was easy to locate. They just had to follow the trail of panicking dwarves. One of Vlad's soldiers spotted the troglodyte at the end of the hallway, already injured, trying to fight off a war dog. The armed dwarves ran toward it, dodging panicked civilians. Off in the distance, the wounded troglodyte struggled against the hound, trying to fight off the savage assault of flesh-rending teeth.

Before they could reach the troglodyte, however, another dwarf rammed into it from the adjoining corridor, causing the creature to stumble and pitch forward, roaring in pain. the dwarf rushed forward, ahead of the war dog. A massive hammerhead rose, then crashed down. Again and again. By the time the soldiers had reached the troglodyte's position, it was already dead.

Vlad approached the armed dwarf, the rest of his squad right behind him. Any words of thanks died in his mouth when he recognized the hammer.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also, bonus pic.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Of course, he may have simply crushed the forgotten beasts with his massive testicles.

Forget a spouse, he needs a full time gonad wrangler.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: April 14, 2014, 03:40:01 am »

Gnora's Journal
Celebrations
--
Well, I've finally found my little journal after all this time; lost it under some furniture. Suppose I'm just in time, for the boys in the militia took down a hydra to-day. A hydra! That's like one of those stories you tell the children to excite 'em. The fortress mourns the loss of the fallen as any dwarf fortress would: alcohol. We toasted to the fortress, to the queen, and to the boys in the ranks, even Vlad. The drink flows mighty well on a night such as this.

I'm slightly concerned by Miss Thane's draft into the army. I know she's an independent girl, but I honestly worry about her. She's my friend, and I look up to her in many ways. If she were to fall, we would lose our great founder and our spirit. I don't know why she's suddenly itchin' to swing her hammer, but I hope she'll choose a safer route soon.

Joyce still hasn't left, though he has been spending most of his time writing in his big book. I haven't been able to see what he's been writing, but I assume it's some sort of noble memoir. He recently asked me for a bucket of lye, and he did not provide a reason; I do hope he understands how dangerous the substance can be.
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: April 14, 2014, 01:58:52 pm »

What does a horse have to be angry about? Was it falsely accused of vampirism?

"You promised us a hero," Catten's voice echoed in Thane's head. She'd been drinking to keep her guilty conscience quiet, but lately she'd just been feeling guilty and hung over. It took her a moment to register the screams of panic when they started. Catten's face flashed in front of her eyes, and Thane started running. The depression of the last months faded away as she dashed through the narrow corridors, pulling Ob Kat from the strap on her back. The troglodyte had just knocked a dog off it when she arrived. Thane barrelled into the cave beast, knocking at to the ground.
"Never again!" she screamed every time the hammer rose and fell, until she finally realised there was no need to swing it again. Thane started laughing. She couldn't help it. Someone coughed behind her and she spun around ready to attack the person that had been following her, freezing in place when she saw Vlad watching her. Thane strode past before he could say anything, intending to start her drinking session. It wasn't until she was standing in front of Cornelius that she realised she didn't need one.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: April 14, 2014, 03:39:38 pm »

Everyone is Crazy but Vlad: The Movie

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: April 14, 2014, 04:07:25 pm »

Sanity is for the weak.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: April 14, 2014, 04:30:07 pm »

Sanity is for the weak.

The weird thing is I intended to make Vlad the most nuts of the dwarves, but it turns out his cheerful sociopathy is actually a step up from the gigglemurder/constant hallucinations & stalking/being totally sane but coincidentally being part of St. Zane's, so nobody believes you are/is actually a vampire/obsessed with vengeance/alcoholism that is the rest of our fort.

Eh, actually we got quite a few sane people associated with the Knights. Damn them and their only hiring stable, dedicated individuals.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: April 14, 2014, 05:46:17 pm »

Yeah, I hate it when religious orders aren't full of zealots foaming at the mouth for the blood of infidels. In any case, I think Thane is going to balance out after the trog beating, she just needed to get over her guilt. Of course, there'll still be paranoia about someone stalking her, since she won't be able to work out why they were following her in the first place.

danmanthedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: April 14, 2014, 05:53:05 pm »

Wow it looks like that thane character is not totally useless after all. *Cough Cough Hack.* Still no sign of those needed spell materials, Tarmid has to get them soon before its to late. It's strange all this business about magic or whatever poison has made me lazy on my spying on Thane.... I wonder what blood barrels and wood. I might be able to cast a tracking spirit animal on tarmid and watch Thane myself.
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 172