Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 172

Author Topic: Demongate: Wrapping up the Loose Ends.  (Read 673247 times)

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
Re: Demongate: There Are No Heroes
« Reply #795 on: April 25, 2014, 07:51:32 pm »

Right, I forgot about the codex.  I'll post more of it in a bit.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: April 25, 2014, 07:53:09 pm »

In that case I'm not sure which side Flame is on - she's the ambassador of the demons, and she absolutely does not want the dwarves to invade hell. She knows what happens when dwarves (at least in succession forts) fight demons, and she doesn't want her brethren to get killed.

An interesting possibility would be that Flame is a demon that somehow escaped the madness that claimed her brethren. Of course, the 'demons' (sometimes called Demonspawn for some reason in the past thread) might not be the only otherworldly entities out there, and other things get put under the same label. Flame could easily be taken for an angel if only she happened to possess a low-ranked knight or something and led them  to glory.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: April 25, 2014, 08:05:34 pm »

Oku Constructcudgels was born a mere mortal human, far less than ourselves the dwarves.  Her childhood was uneventful, and as most humans she was never told the truth of the world.  She grew up to become a slayer of beasts, one who would be respected by the pitiful mortal beings of our world.

But one day, in her battles, she slew a great foe: a vampire, one of Armok's cursed.  Within the great vaults of the cursed of the enemy, she came across an ancient artifact, one from a time before our own.  A relic of the ongoing battle between the True Gods and the deceivers, one created by the true gods to bring their worship to whatever battle it was needed in.  A great golden mask, one lost to the ages.  When Oku donned the mask, all of the knowledge of the True Ones were bestowed upon her.  Knowledge beyond even mine, the current champion of the true gods, could ever fathom.  And yet she survived, and with the knowledge came great power, great magic.

And that, brothers and sister, is the beginning of the tale.  For she went on to accomplish many great things in the name of the true gods, but first, I must digress to explain the nature of the true gods as we, their chosen servants, understand it.

Excerpt from the Codex Arcana

If anyone wants a hint at what the true gods are like, the end of the original Orbtrances contains a hint to them.  The very end, during the last stand of ShadowHammer.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 08:09:24 pm by 4maskwolf »

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: April 25, 2014, 08:53:23 pm »

Corley's Journal
Musings on the FractalEntity Part One
--
In the days when Dwarfkind still lived in Steelhold, there was one dwarf that received nothing but pure disgust from me: Fractalman. I felt for him not the respect I felt for Rhaken, nor the care I felt for Melek. Rather, disgust; hatred in its purest form was all I could feel. He seemed, at first, to be a mere mad-man, for his appearance and behavior lent themselves to such a description. As time passed, however, I began to notice a strange nature to this creature. One could simply stand near him and he would notice that he, Fractalman, seemed to carry an air of distortion with him. To elaborate, time and space—the occasional topics of his ramblings—seemed to crack and bend at his presence. This became worse and worse over the years, to the point where the distortions could be visible throughout the entire fortress, from the sky to the depths of the earth.

Fractalman seemed well-aware of his abilities, though I doubt he had full control of them. Nevertheless, he seemed willing to repair the damages he had done, and he set to work on constructing an enormous contraption he called a "portal." Components of it were made of raw adamantine—a waste if I ever saw one—which seemed to give it magickal properties. Upon its completion, the distortions were undone, and things seemed to be returning to normal. Fractalman's powers did not seem to be quelled entirely, though they may have been dampened slightly.

As part of his intention to rid the world of magick, Emdief "Twiceborn" ordered the beast killed, and the body was thrown into his contraption. The structure itself was them partially destroyed, perhaps intended as an act of closure. I do not believe, however, that Fractalman's power was merely "magick," but rather something more scientific. To elaborate, I don't believe it used any sort of thaumateurgical power as the source of its distortions; it may have come from Fractalman's will alone. His nature notwithstanding, I was content that he was dead, though I would come into contact again with the creature sooner than I had thought.

Corley put down his journal and pen at the sound of incoming troglodytes. In the deep caverns, they were a reliable source of blood. He had been travelling for a great amount of time at this point, though Corley was not at all concerned at the prospect of travelling in a wrong direction. After all, a vampire's senses were vastly superior to those of a dwarf, and he knew quite well the scent of his grand-aunt.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 12:18:24 pm by Gnorm »
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: April 25, 2014, 09:28:08 pm »

If anyone wants a hint at what the true gods are like, the end of the original Orbtrances contains a hint to them.  The very end, during the last stand of ShadowHammer.

Having read that, it strikes me that when Oku was preaching to her cult they should have received a bad mood for ingesting horseshit. If we accept that ending as literal truth, and preclude the possibility that Armok just lies to people for kicks.
That kind of feeds into the theory I just posted, actually. At some point, the truce was broken. Perhaps it was when Oku found the mask. But after that, the two sides have been at war by proxy in the world of the mortals. Que Steelhold.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: April 25, 2014, 09:31:10 pm »

Having read that, it strikes me that when Oku was preaching to her cult they should have received a bad mood for ingesting horseshit. If we accept that ending as literal truth, and preclude the possibility that Armok just lies to people for kicks.
That kind of feeds into the theory I just posted, actually. At some point, the truce was broken. Perhaps it was when Oku found the mask. But after that, the two sides have been at war by proxy in the world of the mortals. Que Steelhold.
... what?  What about it was unusual?

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: April 25, 2014, 09:37:47 pm »

... I'm not quite sure what you're asking? There's nothing wrong with it if that's what your asking. I'm just assuming the True Gods are the Archdemons serving the more potent being whose name escapes me at the moment. Which would make everything Oku said bogus, since the true gods appear to enjoy destroying everything dwarves hold dear, and the demons would never have been made insane by Armok - unless they were initially more sophisticated in how they went about destroying reality. Hrm.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: April 25, 2014, 09:39:47 pm »

... I'm not quite sure what you're asking? There's nothing wrong with it if that's what your asking. I'm just assuming the True Gods are the Archdemons serving the more potent being whose name escapes me at the moment. Which would make everything Oku said bogus, since the true gods appear to enjoy destroying everything dwarves hold dear, and the demons would never have been made insane by Armok - unless they were initially more sophisticated in how they went about destroying reality. Hrm.
Okay then.  Write away, bud.  That sounds awesome.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 09:47:14 pm by 4maskwolf »

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: April 26, 2014, 12:57:38 am »

meanwhile, my dwarf is pretty convinced the problem started from a stupid spat about "who can build the best bridge" between the top tiers, which led to "the other guy is evil" propaganda given to their followers. Since demons are nigh-immortal, they were exposed to it for so long that convincing them otherwise is impossible.

This, of course, doesn't stop him from trying-he accidentally duplicated the golden mask, and keeps chatting demons up, trying to convince them that they shouldn't kill dwarves.
who's playing as a "so crazy they snapped back to sanity" demon? I've got a plan for my character to find out..
This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: April 26, 2014, 05:08:46 am »

I would like to call dibs on the next vampire, by the way. Well, as long as it's female. Don't worry, it's not Asmoth so there won't be any mass mutilations. Though I might still try create the giant werebeast army if the opportunity presents itself.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

Senshuken

• Bay Watcher
  • Defend till the end.
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: April 26, 2014, 05:35:13 am »

At some point, I would like a status update on Artyom. It'll help my write things for him, as well as create a wiki entry for him.
Cause every silver lining has a cloud, and it won't be alright on the night; There's nothing at the end of the rainbow and there's a tunnel at the end of the light!

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: April 26, 2014, 07:10:31 am »

Military Head Quarters (i.e barracks at the gates) was full of armed dwarves. Sir Brenzen, Vlad and Thane had to find a corner to discuss the situation.
- Alright, there's  a squad of spearmen with elite sniper ahead coming from the south, swordsmen with elite hammerman from the north, and hammermen with master lasher from the west. Also, trolls. What i our plan?
- Let zem dance on traps first. Olso, archers up on ze watchtower should add some fun for zem.
- Ok, but not for long. Elite snipers are too dangerous,so when they come closer - retreat back. Also, Dant asked for new crossbow squad - that's acceptable. Lokum, you join Scribes and station up the tower also.
Some dwarf pulls the lever for the depot outside gate.
- Move on. Knights and Vultures are stationed at barracks waiting for thme to approach. Do not charge blindly, let the traps weaken them.
The depot bridge raises, throwing some merchant's horse outside. - YEEEAAAA!!
- Oh. Looks like those who come from south have something to deal with. That slowes them a bit.
- And what about our cattle? It's still on the pastures to the north.
- Count them lost. We should move pastures inside. Later. Then Thane. You are stationed BEHIND barracks in case somethin goes wrong. Conscript some new recruits who have fighting skills. Anyone got the plan? Now go!

There were sounds of animals butchered alive and evil laugh of goblins. Looks like they took the chance to enjoy the hunt before charging into the gate. Then a crossbowdwarf shouted:
- I see them! Rushing towards gates!
Archers started shooting, and some of chargers fell down. Some were hit by traps, but their leader dodged. Right into the moat. And then again and again, giving traps and archers one more chance. When the most ot its squad fell, the hammerlord decided to retreat and ran away.

Same tactic worked with other squads too. All that mlitary had to do was to put a misery strike on wounded goblins. Vlad grumbled about that, but at least no dwarf were harmed and goblins retreated. But anyone knows, they will come again and again.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 07:19:49 am by peregarrett »
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: April 26, 2014, 08:21:12 am »

What race is being traded with?

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: April 26, 2014, 08:41:27 am »

Elves, as Cornelius said at meeting. But i doubt they will trade after we've launched their animal
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: April 26, 2014, 09:06:25 am »

Elves, as Cornelius said at meeting. But i doubt they will trade after we've launched their animal

If it's possible to purchase grizzly bears, Vlad could use a pet or two.
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 172