Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 172

Author Topic: Demongate: Wrapping up the Loose Ends.  (Read 673418 times)

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
Re: Demongate: There Are No Heroes
« Reply #810 on: April 26, 2014, 09:37:25 am »

If they won't trade, we can just take their stuff anyway. There's already been four wars against them, one more won't make a difference. Interesting note: the king who lifted the oppressive edicts of the First Iron's vampire king also declared was against the elves a few times. Perhaps his experience with the vampire turned him into an anti-cannibalism extremist.

By the way, I don't think Thane's squad has been training very much, and Vlad's has a lot of bad thoughts about long patrol duty. You could set them to active duty all the time, but set the scheduel so there's always one of the three melee groups with no orders, which (I think) will prevent the unhappy thoughts from training too much, but would also level up their skills at a decent rate.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 09:46:56 am by Deus Asmoth »
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

Rhaken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: April 26, 2014, 09:55:27 am »

If they won't trade, we can just take their stuff anyway. There's already been four wars against them, one more won't make a difference. Interesting note: the king who lifted the oppressive edicts of the First Iron's vampire king also declared was against the elves a few times. Perhaps his experience with the vampire turned him into an anti-cannibalism extremist.

You mean Doren Glenbridges? I think she continued her precessor's campaign against the Bloodkin too. With disastrous results, apparently, though I haven't checked the numbers for every battle.

...And just like that, this whole ordeal got even more interesting. I hope Tarmid stays safe long enough to let me unearth all of this. This Violent Conflict thing was pretty damned interesting.

EDIT: The Violent Conflict began in the late autumn of 153. Last recorded event in the conflict was in 570.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 09:58:22 am by Rhaken »
Of course, he may have simply crushed the forgotten beasts with his massive testicles.

Forget a spouse, he needs a full time gonad wrangler.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: April 26, 2014, 11:06:27 am »

Flame walked over to Fractalentity in the depot, axe over her shoulder. He was technically trading with the elves, but no actual trading was gong on at the time, so Flame had decided that this was as good a time as any to talk to him.

"Hello, Fractalentity. I bring greetings from the Demon Empire of Zxcvbnm."
"Wait, what? I knew you were a demon possessing a dwarf, but what's this about greetings?"
"I am the ambassador from the Empire of Zxcvbnm, which lies beneath us. I hope to make an agreement between the outpost of Demongate and my kingdom.
"Oh, well, you're speaking to the wrong person. I'm just the broker. Ambassadors should meet with the mayor. Also, aren't you worried you worried about all these elves listening to this?"
"No, I don't really care if they know. They won't tell anyone." she said with a smile that she probably thought looked friendly. Combined with the odd light in her eyes and the extremely high-quality axe over her shoulder, the elves looked scared and shook their heads. "So, who's the mayor?"
"That would be Besmar Logemothos. I think she's training right now, you might want to talk to her later."
"Alright, I'll talk to her later, then. Thanks for the help!" she said with a smile, walking out of the trade depot.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 04:02:49 pm by TheFlame52 »

danmanthedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: April 26, 2014, 11:21:15 am »

*SNIFFF* Arh that smell... Brimstone and sulpher, demon a true living demon in our fort! *Hack hack I have to find it and capture it so Tarmid will finally order those items for me. Problem is that this dam fort is such a magical magnet that its hard to just sniff out one thing... Maybe that strange hooded guy will help.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: April 26, 2014, 12:05:36 pm »

I've been playing the fort on my own, to get used to the layout before I take my turn. THE FOLLOWING EVENTS NEVER ACTUALLY HAPPENED. Also I used DFhack, but I promise not to when I actually play.

I used revflood to reveal the caverns so that the hunters would stop spamming job cancellations.

This had the intended effect, but it also revealed the entirety of the demon fort. The undead, now seeing a path into the fort, swarm en mass the door to the third caverns.

The traps take care of about 15 of them, but the traps are clogged an he rest begin advancing up the stairwell. I send the entire military to hold the breach.

The military arrives one by one, and they are picked off. Even Vlad. At some point along here a forgotten beast arrives and is killed by a lone hunter.

The undead surge up the stairwell, killing everyone in their path. A few try to fight back, but they are overwhelmed. The fort is down to a few, tantruming, injured dwarves locked up in the various stockpiles.

I savescummed, locked the door to the bottom caverns, and ran revflood again.

The spam stops. The hunters go out to kill the crundles or whatever. The undead instead run offscreen, never to be seen again. They don't go towards the door. Everything works out fine.

"DO NOT MESS WITH HELL, EVERYONE. WE ARE NOT READY."

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: April 26, 2014, 12:09:10 pm »

By the way, I don't think Thane's squad has been training very much, and Vlad's has a lot of bad thoughts about long patrol duty. You could set them to active duty all the time, but set the scheduel so there's always one of the three melee groups with no orders, which (I think) will prevent the unhappy thoughts from training too much, but would also level up their skills at a decent rate.

You still receive bad thoughts from being active with no orders. Weapon/dodging skills will build if the squads are not active, however, although slightly slower. It would be better to set up mulitple smaller squads and stagger activity/training between them. Burrowing the off-duty military in some kind of resort (high quality food/rooms, maybe a statue garden and memorial hall) could work wonders as well.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: April 26, 2014, 12:19:33 pm »

"I am the ambassador from the Empire of Zxcvbnm, which lies beneath us. I hope to make an agreement between the outpost of Steelhold and my kingdom.
A little late there.
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

Rhaken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: April 26, 2014, 12:22:38 pm »

You still receive bad thoughts from being active with no orders. Weapon/dodging skills will build if the squads are not active, however, although slightly slower. It would be better to set up mulitple smaller squads and stagger activity/training between them. Burrowing the off-duty military in some kind of resort (high quality food/rooms, maybe a statue garden and memorial hall) could work wonders as well.

Pffft. Sod that. My best military trained twelve months a year, nonstop, in a hollowed out area of the mountain, exposed to the elements. In a map where we got blizzards for nine months a year. Hardest bastards I ever commanded. Their commander could take on entire squads single-handed, while taking fire from an elite goblin crossbowman, who she then chased down and butchered.

Then again, they were clad head to toe in steel, carrying solid gold flasks and giant cave spider silk cloaks. I suppose the buffer of luxury kind of kept them from snapping until they achieved "doesn't really care about anything anymore" status.
Of course, he may have simply crushed the forgotten beasts with his massive testicles.

Forget a spouse, he needs a full time gonad wrangler.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: April 26, 2014, 12:35:28 pm »

Pffft. Sod that. My best military trained twelve months a year, nonstop, in a hollowed out area of the mountain, exposed to the elements. In a map where we got blizzards for nine months a year. Hardest bastards I ever commanded. Their commander could take on entire squads single-handed, while taking fire from an elite goblin crossbowman, who she then chased down and butchered.

Then again, they were clad head to toe in steel, carrying solid gold flasks and giant cave spider silk cloaks. I suppose the buffer of luxury kind of kept them from snapping until they achieved "doesn't really care about anything anymore" status.

Yeah, we don't have that kind of hardassitude yet.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: April 26, 2014, 12:51:42 pm »

Has anyone made use of my ballistae yet?

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: April 26, 2014, 01:02:48 pm »

If it's possible to purchase grizzly bears, Vlad could use a pet or two.
No bears. There's koala and giant hamster instead. Also flying squrell, thrips and wren, all giants.

Warning - while you were typing 5 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post.
You damn ninjas!

Has anyone made use of my ballistae yet?
No, before I tried everyone was dead or escaping

As Cornelius though, elves refused to trade. They complained about their pack animal was thrown away and slaughtered by goblins, and asked for someone who is in charge for that. Our broker - the one nicknamed FractalEntity doesn't care about it.

Finally Vlad arrived at the depot with the most 'friendly' grin on his face.
- Hallo zere. You vantd to see me?
- Yes we do! Due to your senseless actions we lost a big part of our cargo and a pack animal! How can we move further without it? Our high quality cloths, organic food, trained animal..
- Animals? Do yu hav bears?
- Uh? No, no bears this time. We have a koala, and a giant hamster... But you're getting none of them! In fact, you shound pay an indemnity!
- Indemnity? Vell. What happend vith yur hors?
- That bridge sent it flying!
- Like zis?

- Looks like yur horses are too fragil. Maybe ozers are better?

Spoiler: Fight result (click to show/hide)
- Nope, zey are broken too. Oh. I'm tired, I need a break.

While everyone's attention was bound to the invasion, Gnora had her own crusade. She grabbed the last bucked of lye from the soapmaker's shop and dipped the bag of sunberry seeds in it.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 01:10:37 pm by peregarrett »
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: April 26, 2014, 01:10:25 pm »

That's my girl! taking matters into her own hands!

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: April 26, 2014, 01:17:36 pm »

That's my girl! taking matters into her own hands!
Yep. The only seeds remained are those that were already planted.
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: April 26, 2014, 01:22:39 pm »

"I am the ambassador from the Empire of Zxcvbnm, which lies beneath us. I hope to make an agreement between the outpost of Steelhold and my kingdom.
A little late there.

More like "Yeah, sure, miss demon, go turn yourself in to the dwarf in charge like a complete idiot; I wash my hands of your demise. "

This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: April 26, 2014, 01:34:30 pm »

Ahahaha what the hell is going on.
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 172