Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 172

Author Topic: Demongate: Wrapping up the Loose Ends.  (Read 670822 times)

Senshuken

• Bay Watcher
  • Defend till the end.
    • View Profile
Re: Demongate: There Are No Heroes
« Reply #840 on: April 27, 2014, 05:19:35 am »

Bloodkin can't be caught in traps in any case.

Then clearly we need to build better traps....

What do we use currently to catch mice?
Cause every silver lining has a cloud, and it won't be alright on the night; There's nothing at the end of the rainbow and there's a tunnel at the end of the light!

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: April 27, 2014, 06:19:17 am »

Cats, I suppose.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
Re: Demongate: There Are No Horses
« Reply #842 on: April 27, 2014, 06:58:48 am »

Ahahaha what the hell is going on.
Vlad bit a horse in the tongue, that's the most disturbing thing.

Vladamir Uristovich: Horse Frencher

Tarmid is embracing the horse.
I suppose the two just share a common fetish for horses.
Fixed the post title.

Quick question; do we have a live-training setup this time around?
Do we even have cage traps?

Didn't see any last time I checked. So maybe we're doing a no-cage run.
We have a few cagetraps at the cavern entrance. A few troglodites already fell in.

Elven mecrhants were so shocked that they couldn't gather themselves to move away. But time moves on, and human caravan arrived. The moved in thier wagons and began unloading.

Meanwhile, the magma pump stack construction was begun, and 4 of 56 stages already completed. Also, with clever use of supports and mechanisms a large cube of soil was collapsed into aquifer, breaking it and allowing axles to be built. Glassworkers make tubes and screws repeately, so everything moves on.

Despite Gnora's efforts to banish sunberies, a few pots of sunshine were brewed, and new seeds stored.

There's a some swordsdwarf's ghost waving at barracks.

This will harden the spirit of recruits. Nobody knows what to carve on the slab anyway.

Also speaking of slabs, we've memorized both beasts we had killed here, and goblin lawgiver. There's a  small memorial hall behind the tower of Jackal god, and a basement of Imortal Guard's Castle is under construction, right over the first aquifer breach and sunberry field:

What do we need from humans? Iron stuff and such? Nevermind, they are leaving already. Screw them
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 07:03:01 am by peregarrett »
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: April 27, 2014, 08:54:58 am »

Well, iron would be useful, but once we've got magma forges up and running we'll be able to harvest plenty of it off the corpses of our foes. Would Brenzen have a problem with wearing armour that was technically obtained by looting?

How are you powering the pumps, by the way? Presumably with water wheels if you had to breach the aquifer again.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: April 27, 2014, 09:03:47 am »

Something I plan to do during my turn is get magma forges running, goblin weapons melting, and masterwork weapons churned out.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: April 27, 2014, 09:58:07 am »

Hopefully, step one and two of that plan will be finished soon.

I should also be updating the first post with overseer posts and the profiles of notable citizens next weekend. I was planning to do it today, but then the link to my computer's screen broke, so that's been put on hold.

jrrocks05

• Bay Watcher
  • serial killer at large
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: April 27, 2014, 10:24:50 am »

Dang it! Ok then
We fear not to walk in the valley of death for we are the baddest most vicious unforgiving motherf---en dwarves in this valley

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: April 27, 2014, 12:37:14 pm »

I like the Codex Arcana so much I think I'll do my own lore extrapolation text. :3

This place has clearly not seen a living dwarf in centuries. The magebane cannot say why, but the thought is oddly comforting. At least somewhere in the dwarven world peace is possible, if only as the flow of time gradually washes everything away.
His orders were quite clear. The vigil over this place did need to be maintained. Three times now the heretical society known as the Faction had been caught attempting to access these ruins. Perhaps this former commune had some strange significance to them, the first place their destabilizing influence had been checked by a younger Order. It was oddly fitting. Both the Knights and the Faction had been changed by what happened here. While the knights had gained new resolve to defend dwarvenkind from threats both external and internal, however, the Faction seemed to have lost theirs. They were scattered to the winds these days. The inquisitors kept digging up new cells. They insisted that some sort of coordinated leadership existed among the Faction, but the magebane doubted it.
Rudely interrupting his thoughts, the ground began to shake. The commune had been built into a cliff by the sea, in stone so soft no sane dwarf should have dared to attempt it. Gradually the ocean was reclaiming the site. The magebane tensed. One wrong move and he could find himself crushed, or facing a watery grave. He stepped aside just in time as a sliver of the cliff crumbled away into the churning sea below.
Eventually, the tremors stopped. Where once a solid wall had been, the magebane could now see what had once been a hidden chamber. Inside lay the final resting place of a dwarf, clutching a dry tome. Evidently, the dwarf had walled himself inside rather than allow this book to be destroyed. Although he knew he shouldn't the magebane could not help but wonder what had inspired this dwarf so. What could possibly be so important about this heresy that a dwarf had been willing to die for it, alone in this dark, dry corner of the ruin? Surely one peek couldn't hurt. He was a knight, after all. He had faced down dozens of foes on the battlefield. If he had the resolve not to run from them, surely a book couldn't shake his faith.
He dragged his pack into the chamber and sat down. His vigil wouldn't end for days. He might as well start reading.

Forward to the Secret Histories

It begins, as most things seem to these days, with a fortress called Steelhold. You will probably be familiar with the name, dear reader. The story is legendary among our people. You will have heard of the great darkness in the fortress. How the heroes of the fortress gave their lives in the impossible quest to stop it. How our best qualities were brought out by the struggle against evil, even in a band of criminals and outcasts. It's an inspiring story. The kind of story that makes one proud to be part of our civilization.
Unfortunately, what you have heard is a lie. Whether a lie told out of desperation to believe better of us, or so those who authored it could maintain power, nothing you know about Steelhold is true. Questioning the truth has been made unthinkable, and those who dare to probe the mysteries of the past are condemned as sympathizers with the antithesis of our very being.
But these questioned must be asked and answered. How can it be that none have asked where the evil of Steelhold came from, and what led to it being unleashed? The narrative you know is about heroes who fought the encroaching darkness and once-dwarven monsters who hastened its arrival. The kind of narrative you'd expect refugees to tell. But Steelhold was not a simple battleground between good and evil. It was the home of hundreds of dwarves, beset on all sides and abused terribly by those trusted to guide them. This is the story of how they threw off their shackles and stood tall, despite the hopelessness of their situation, so that all dwarves might know who their true enemies are. They died so that we might one day free ourselves. The great trial of our people began before Steelhold, and its end is far from sight. But the tragedy of Steelhold shall not be in vain. One day, everyone will know the truth.
Read on, dear acolyte. How wronged we've all been will open your eyes.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: April 27, 2014, 01:09:58 pm »

Excerpt 1: Clarifying the Fall

Magic is poorly understood by most, though thankfully it now viewed with appropriate fear rather than wonder.
Magic is the extension of will. Dwarves in their natural state generate virtually no magic, although in cases of extreme fanaticism the occasional miracle may appear. To find magic potent enough to use, therefore, a dwarf must operate in the name of another more powerful being. At the time of writing, only two known cases have been observed in which magic was wielded by dwarves without some foul pact with demonic entities. These cases are not to be seen as hope that magic can be wielded for dwarvenkind's benefit; one case nearly resulted in the destabilization of reality, and the other case the dwarf in question has sacrificed all personal freedom so as to be used to defend us.
Steelhold was plagued by magic almost from the very beginning, and certainly led to its downfall. But Steelhold was not the first to fall victim to magecraft. The seeds of Steelhold's fall were sown long before even the idea for the fortress was ever conceived.
It is not commonly spoken of, but the demonic incursion into Steelhold had precedent. Another fortress had dug to deep into cursed adamantine, although unlike Steelhold it was quickly overrun. What happened to the demons from that fortress is uncertain, as by the time reinforcements arrived, the breach had been resealed and not even a single demonic corpse was to be found. Blame was thus placed on the lone survivor, whose already shaken mind was undoubtedly destroyed by the tortures his 'rescuers' put him though.
But why did this dwarf have to be so ruthlessly destroyed? Alas, this is simply the first example in this book of how a few dwarves are willing to go against the welfare of their subjects simply to maintain their own power over others. The Queen, rather than admit that adamantine's exploitation could lead to the unleashing of such dangerous powers, silenced the witness. Later disasters are recorded; whole mines vanish from the records, reported destroyed, as adamantine production continues. The Queen did not care how many dwarves died, so long as she got her adamatine. What she did with it is a mystery to this day.
Steelhold was among the fortresses not warned. But in Steelhold, nobody was present to erase the evidence. And against the odds, Steelhold was not, as you have been told, destroyed by the opening of the breach to hell. The breach itself was actually sealed by the orders of the martyred founder of our Faction. The Bloodkin were not demons, and never have been. The horrifying truth is that the Bloodkin were once dwarves. And the agents behind their creation, despite what those fools who venerate Zane will say to you, were never destroyed. Indeed, they continue onward towards their horrible, unknown objective to this day.
Steelhold, despite the claims by those taken in by those who orchestrated its demise, did not manage to in any way halt or even delay the coming of the Bloodkin. Only two good things can be said about Steelhold; it was there that the search for the truth began, and it was there that it became clear that no matter who would become our champion, the only one who will fight for an ordinary dwarf is an ordinary dwarf.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 03:19:31 pm by MDFification »

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: April 27, 2014, 01:19:39 pm »

Asmoth's Log.

The sentries in the caverns have been bringing strange reports back lately. They speak of a strange being in the darkness, always out of their reach and their sight. It is strange, for they speak of this person with a reverence bordering on fear, and I only taught them to fear and obey five people. It hardly matters. Whoever it is will reveal themselves to me eventually, or else the guards will hunt them down. Most likely it will just turn out to be Shank or his queen playing some game.

In any case, today the last of the southern kingdoms has fallen. I offered the dwarfs here the same chance as I gave the others: evolve or die. It is strange, though. I'm beginning to think that mortality may have its own advantages. Not for me, obviously. A mind as brilliant as my own is deserving of eternal life. But those who are less gifted, what of them? My creations have no fear of death, being nearly immune to any ills that can befall a mortal, but they don't fight for life either. They see no beauty and produce no great works. When I compare them to the ones who rejected me, those who fought to the bitter end and created great poems and paintings, I cannot help but think we lost something. Even I can't maintain the hatred I once felt for the queen. Perhaps further study is needed.

In any case, Thikut has told me of a fortress created by the Northern dwarfs by the name of Demongate, built to block the passage between the south and north. We could go around them and simply let the starve, but I imagine it will be easier to brush them aside as we did all the others. She has also heard of a strange group called the Olympians who are still trying to fight us. I suppose that would explain why some of the outposts we've been fighting have seemed strangely organised. It makes little matter. They will have to join us or die eventually, just like all the others.

As a final note, I still have made no progress in my attempts to convert other species to the Bloodkin. Some of the test subjects showed positive results in the beginning, only to worsen rapidly. If only Lenehan were still alive... I might have been able to get some help from Corley in this matter before he vanished, but he always showed little interest in getting other species to join our cause.

In any case, I must prepare for the ceremony. The last king of the south is going to join our cause tonight, and these royal types rarely seem content to just drink blood out of a bucket.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: April 27, 2014, 02:18:52 pm »

Asmoth's Log.

The sentries in the caverns have been bringing strange reports back lately. They speak of a strange being in the darkness, always out of their reach and their sight. It is strange, for they speak of this person with a reverence bordering on fear, and I only taught them to fear and obey five people. It hardly matters. Whoever it is will reveal themselves to me eventually, or else the guards will hunt them down. Most likely it will just turn out to be Shank or his queen playing some game.
Is this strange being Corley, or someone else? Also, who would those five people be?

On another note, I was going to write a tome of lore myself, but does anyone have objections?
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: April 27, 2014, 02:20:30 pm »

Asmoth's Log.

Is this strange being Corley, or someone else? Also, who would those five people be?

On another note, I was going to write a tome of lore myself, but does anyone have objections?

It would actually be really interesting to see what perspective you take. I mean we have it from Oku and the Faction (which isn't the same as Steelhold's faction; that died in the fall. This Faction is inspired by the original faction, but not directly descended from it - while the original faction was aligned with Armok and the Old Gods, this Faction is more concerned with dwarvenkind. Also it's not entirely accurate, btw, so take that into account) so I'm really interested to see what else will come up.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 02:25:17 pm by MDFification »

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: April 27, 2014, 02:33:01 pm »

Well, I was going for it being Corley, but it could be one of Shank's agents or an Olympian if you were planning on him doing something else. As for the five: Asmoth, Corley, Shank, Kivish and Thikut.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: April 27, 2014, 02:53:40 pm »

I can be Corley; I suppose a reunion will occur shortly in that case. As for my tome of lore, it's the folio that Corley has been writing in, and I'll try to post some of its contents soon.
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: April 27, 2014, 03:53:22 pm »

Excerpt 2: Twiceborn

It is important for one seeking to understand the Faction's place in the future to know the story of our founder. Although the Faction he built has long since crumbled to ashes, and his very soul has been changed irrecoverably, possibly lost, the Twiceborn was an inspiration to all subsequent iterations of the Faction. But though his ideals live on, his story is a tragic reminder of what happens to those who meddle in forces beyond mortal ken.
The Twiceborn lived the life of a simple mechanic. Like any dwarf, through the sweat on his back and the skill of his hands he made himself a living. How did this dwarf find himself sent to a place like Steelhold? The answer, dear reader, is that despite our feelings of superiority, our civilization is far from perfect. The will of the people has no say in how fortresses are run, or who is appointed to lead us. Those with power, those who call themselves noble, warp the laws to suit themselves. Merely disobeying their whims, regardless of their worth or even feasibility, can lead to imprisonment, beatings or execution. And often, even if a dwarf obeys them utterly, they will be made to suffer for the sake of these uncaring, entitled thugs. Records state that the Twiceborn went to Steelhold of his own free will to follow his wife and family, but evidence make it clear this was not the case. The Twiceborn was exiled, forced to Steelhold at sword-point, simply because he produced mechanisms bought by nobles who undertook immoral experimentation on their citizens. The Twiceborn was only one of many sacrificed to sate the demands of those higher-up for punishment, while those who truly planned, funded and organized the crime suffered nothing due to their status.
The Order does not tell of the Twiceborn's early life in the few myths they tell of him. It is hard to reconcile such an abused figure with who they make him out to be - a warrior saint, an avenging demigod, a champion of tradition and the establishment. Those familiar with the tale of Saint Emdief, as they call him, will recognize parts of his story; be careful not to draw the conclusions that the Order wishes you to. The Twiceborn was no friend of the establishment, and he was no hero. This is a story of how a dwarf becomes a monster.

At Steelhold, the Twiceborn attempted once again to live a normal life. The injustice of the situation, however, would not simply let him rest. Most sources link the Twiceborn to the regime of the so-called Saint Rhaken, a military autocrat who was willing to make deals and coexist with the demon-worshipping cult that established itself in Steelhold. As the Twiceborn entered the stage, this fragile balance of power collapsed under its own weight. Magic users overthrew Rhaken and those loyal to him. The Twiceborn, a vocal enemy of the cult and or magic in general, payed the ultimate price. Some claim it was assassination. Others claim the Twiceborn simply was killed by mishap or goblins. A more sinister occurence is to be suspected, although it is not know what it could be. Whatever the case, simply killing the Twiceborn was not enough. Magical forces tore the Twiceborn from his eternal rest; Armok must have permitted his soul to be so defiled by the forces we are told he opposes. But why?

The Twiceborn's return was a blessing at first. He endeavored to bring truth and justice to the fortress. Magic users and cultists were cast out, shunned or slain. His Faction led by the will of the people, allowing leading members of the fortress to distribute power and responsibility amongst a council of equals. The Fortress, free of the infighting and abuse that had held it down, entered a year of prosperity. Alas, the Twiceborn was betrayed by one of his own Faction, sundering it. This Corley declared himself the new Baron of Steelhold, had Emdief assasinated and destroyed everything the Faction had gained. It is said in the last days the Twiceborn lost the will to defend the dwarven paradise he had built. It is now known that this is the first evidence that magic, with Armok's collusion and blessing, had begun to warp and corrupt the Twiceborn's mind, body and soul.
When the Twiceborn was next seen, it was no longer the dwarf that had led the fortress. Not even a real dwarf anymore, the Twiceborn was a terrible spectre, a tool for Armok to use in his eternal war with demonkind. Emdief led the defense of Steelhold and the sealing of the breach from beyond the grave, and if accounts prove accurate, later invaded the bodies of others to slay important mages in Steelhold's fall.
Yet the Twiceborn, despite its good deeds, is a monster. A pawn of Armok, the Twiceborn acted as the dwarf it had been never would, standing idly by while the fortress collapsed from misrule and the moral corruption brought with the arrival of the Queen. The Twiceborn had been granted the power to carry out Armok's will, but had lost everything in return - its freedom, its mind, its soul.

Three things must be learned from this tale. The first is that power corrupts, and that the powerful serve only themselves. This is why the only suitable form of government would be to adopt a system like the original Faction tried to impose. Secondly, magic is a weapon that cannot be handled safely. No matter what good one might do with it, in the end it will always lead to the loss of control of ones actions. Finally, despite what we are told, the God of Blood is no benevolent being. Though our afterlife lies with him, we are utterly disposable to him, to be disposed of as best suits him. Armok is to be feared and respected, but never again must we presume to know his will, and never again must we trust anything that extends beyond our mortal world.
No kings or gods will save us - they care only for themselves. There is no savior for the dwarves. We must save ourselves.
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 172