Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 172

Author Topic: Demongate: Wrapping up the Loose Ends.  (Read 673430 times)

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Demongate: There Are No Heroes
« Reply #885 on: April 29, 2014, 09:05:09 pm »

Vlad being baron would be rather amusing, though I imagine it wouldn't bode well for Gnora.

Vlad wouldn't relaly do anything to Gnora, although she would receive frequent reminders that her opinions don't matter.
That would rile her up enough.
That vas the plan, yes?

Edit: I'm kind of dreading my turn as I'm preparing to invade hell and build a colony in my military test fort. Going back to a fort with less than 50 (mostly legendary now - it's been 11 years of hard training and I've finally fixed the schedules) militia members and a non-implausibly large amount of adamantine will be rough.
Were you planning to enter through the fortress or through the pillar? I was hoping to convert the fortress into a pleasant little resort complete with statue gardens, kitchens, bedrooms, and dining rooms if I ever get the chance to have another turn.
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: April 29, 2014, 09:23:20 pm »

Vlad being baron would be rather amusing, though I imagine it wouldn't bode well for Gnora.

Vlad wouldn't relaly do anything to Gnora, although she would receive frequent reminders that her opinions don't matter.
That would rile her up enough.
That vas the plan, yes?

Edit: I'm kind of dreading my turn as I'm preparing to invade hell and build a colony in my military test fort. Going back to a fort with less than 50 (mostly legendary now - it's been 11 years of hard training and I've finally fixed the schedules) militia members and a non-implausibly large amount of adamantine will be rough.
Were you planning to enter through the fortress or through the pillar? I was hoping to convert the fortress into a pleasant little resort complete with statue gardens, kitchens, bedrooms, and dining rooms if I ever get the chance to have another turn.

Sorry, my test fort is a completely unrelated map I try out tactics and techniques on. It has a whooping 3 pillars, and all of them are gratuitously big. I could have been using nothing but adamantine gear from the start if I just exploited it faster.
I'm planning to grind down the numbers of zombies in my turn though using careful zombie-baiting and marksdwarves. It will be reasonably intense.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 09:33:48 pm by MDFification »

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: April 30, 2014, 04:20:15 am »

I was considering converting the dark fortress into a replacement vault once we get all those zombies cleared out, or at least turning some of the rooms into offices and/or bedrooms, because it'd look cool.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

Senshuken

• Bay Watcher
  • Defend till the end.
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: April 30, 2014, 04:48:12 am »

After the repelling of the most recent of Goblin ambushes, a news sheet of sorts seemed to appear around the fortress of Demongate. While it contained a few minor, short stories from around the fortress itself such as the status of the trading session so far, the number of ambushes and assaults by the goblin hordes this session and a short piece questioning in security of the fortress if outside forces (suspected to be kobolds) had been able to infiltrate the fortress in a horrible attempt harm the supplies of alcohol by destroying the sunberry seed surplus the main focus was on the possibility of the Fortress becoming a barony and thus the need to elect a fortress baron.

In the last few paragraphs of the article, the unnamed writer manged to gain an interview with Demongate founder, legendary miner and as of late war veteran Artyom Barkov in order to discuss those whom might be in the running for Baron.

W: Mr Barkov, what are your thoughts on the possibility of Vulture leader Vlad becoming Baron of Demongate?

AB: Vlad has been a dear friend of mine for several years now, having met for the first time when the founding party for our wonderful fortress was brought together. I have no doubt in my mind that he would perform the duties of the Baron of Demongate to the best of his abilities; However, I hate to admit that there will no doubt be a period of strain between himself and the administration due to the fact that many of those in positions of administration are members of the Knights of Zane. Vlad's increasingly common arguments with one of the fortresses leading figures in the field of agriculture Gnora from what appears to be a mutual hatred between them would also be a source of strain on the fortress as a whole.

W: I see. Could you suggest a better suited candidate for the role then?

AB: That is a hard one. Whomever runs for the office of baron would need to be popular enough with the common dwarf to be accepted as their noble representative while having enough respect and influence with the various organizations and ruling bodies within our beloved fortress that if they got the job there would be a minimum of friction between the new baron and the current status quo as the organization of the fortress shifts to reflect our new standing in the political realm of the world.

W: A tall order indeed. Out of interest, do you personally intend to throw your hat into the ring as it were?

AB: As of this time my ambitions are not directed into that area.   

W: So you are not going to stand for the position of Baron?

AB: Well... A dwarfs purpose in life is to dedicate their lives in order to best serve the fortress city that they have selected as their home to the best of their ability. Should some close friends of mine convince me that the best course of action for the Fortress as a whole would be for me to stand in the election for Baron then I would have to alter my ambitions appropriately regardless of my personal feelings on the matter.

And thus the campaigning begins. :P   

Cause every silver lining has a cloud, and it won't be alright on the night; There's nothing at the end of the rainbow and there's a tunnel at the end of the light!

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: April 30, 2014, 07:36:11 am »

While I'd like to avoid campaigning b/c it's really not that important, interviews can be hilarious.

W: Captain Uristovitch? May I have a moment?
VU: Vho are you?
W: Comments have been made that imply you are unfit for the position of baron. Care to make any rebuttals?
VU: Vhat are you doingk in my barracks? Unless you are hear to become real dwarf, stop botheringk my recruits.
W: So you remain confident that you will be chosen as baron?
VU: Ve're gettingk a baron? Vhy are ve gettingk a baron?
W: So you question the need to select a baron? An interesting move, Captain.
VU: No seriously vho the hell are you.
W: What of security measures? There's rumors that a kobold raid managed to sneak into the fort and destroy some sunberry seeds.
VU: VHAT
W: So the militia was unaware of this development?
VU: ARE YOU IMPLYINGK THAT VE LET A BUNCH OF KOBOLDS JUST WALK PAST US? VE STAND AT THE ONLY VAY INTO THE FORTRESS ALL DAY!
W: Calm down please, Captain Uristovitch.
VU: THIS MUST BE GNORA'S DOINGK!
W: Captain Uristovitch, plea-
VU: I varned them. I varned them that that woman vould try to take our booze. She vants to take away a resource incredibly important for militia morale to maintain her vile monopoly over brewable plants. But did they listen to Vlad? No. Nobody listens to Vlad. The Evening Prayer group is goingk to be upset over this.
W: Ah, on the subject of the Evening Prayer group. What exactly goes on in th-
VU: Ve don't talk about evening prayers to the uninitiated. Don't ask.
W: Well, I have other questions. What of your troubled relationship with your superiors in the militia?
VU: You mean Brenzen? He is decent enough guy so long as he doesn't presume to exercise his authority over non-Knight militia. I vill of course defer to him in emergency.
Vait, vhy are you askingk so many questions?

W: I'm writing for a small newsletter-
VU: Are you tryingk to distract me so Dantheman can stalk Thane again?
W: Wha-
VU: Tell him I vill be cuttingk him again.
W: Captain Uristovi-
VU: Get out of my barracks. I have real vork to do.

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: April 30, 2014, 01:22:12 pm »

"The crazy one votes for the crazy one! "

somehow, it sounded much better when a bunch of pirates were saying it.
This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: April 30, 2014, 01:50:18 pm »

I was considering converting the dark fortress into a replacement vault once we get all those zombies cleared out, or at least turning some of the rooms into offices and/or bedrooms, because it'd look cool.

Handling that fort is going to be a major problem, yes.
I just realized that marksdwarves won't work as a solution, since the zombies are apparently thrall-like according to the wiki. Still, it would be good for training purposes, and we could cripple them quite feasibly. I think the best solution is large serrated discs. Many of them. We could just smash the lot, although that would feel a little cheap to me.

For those who are interested, here's a little design for a bunker designed to allow marksdwarves to fight syndrome-spewing creatures:
|- - - + - - - +
|- v - + - - - +
|- - - + - - - +
(|= wall, - = floor, + = fortification. v = a dousing trench, but that's not important)
This allows your marksdwarves to engage from at least 5 tiles away. It could feasibly be expanded to give further distance, but I'm not quite sure if they'll still target correctly at greater distances. Theoretically, they should, and I'm a fool for not building it like that.  :-\

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: April 30, 2014, 02:04:08 pm »

In my turn I was planning to build up our metal stocks and clean up all the goddamn refuse in the surface stockpile. Both will likely involve magma. I was also going to explore the caverns fully if it hasn't already been done, and completely block off the bottom caves/the demon fort. No invading my homeland!

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: April 30, 2014, 03:07:29 pm »

No invading my homeland!

No promises  ;D although the odds of my pulling off a successful breach in a single year are slim. I am however aiming to get adamantine production started and see if I can clear out that fortress in the caverns...

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: April 30, 2014, 03:18:55 pm »

Is it okay if I use my "knowledge of hell" to mark off exactly where each adamantine spire turns hollow?

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: April 30, 2014, 03:37:52 pm »

Is it okay if I use my "knowledge of hell" to mark off exactly where each adamantine spire turns hollow?

I'm going to go with 'no'. I'll be 'shaving' our spire(s?) of available adamantine before I start top-down excavation, however, so an accidental breach shouldn't be a problem. And unlike in Steelhold, we should set up an actual defense or at least some means of sealing the breach before-hand.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: April 30, 2014, 04:49:26 pm »

I'm going to go with 'no'. I'll be 'shaving' our spire(s?) of available adamantine before I start top-down excavation, however, so an accidental breach shouldn't be a problem. And unlike in Steelhold, we should set up an actual defense or at least some means of sealing the breach before-hand.
I'm still going to story my knowledge of hell, though.

danmanthedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: April 30, 2014, 09:01:12 pm »

I say we have a giant cave in ready to stop the demons in their place or at least slow them to activate the rest of the defenses.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: May 01, 2014, 07:48:41 am »

Sir Brenzen had a satifying sparring session with Imur, axedwarf of Vultures. He won, of course, delivering a few precise hits in chest and legwith his bismuth bronze pick. Yes, that was a true weapon indeed.

A sound of  loud squeaking has been heard from outside the walls.

Knights and Vultures were alerted, but the beast went hunting for wild boar, and kiling it seemed to become peaceful and hid in the forest.
When soldiers arrived there whey found tracks of beast suddenly turned into olm man's tracks. Seems it turned back and left.

Monom the brewer suddenly felt a strange urge for stonecarving. He occupied one of the surface workshops and gathered some boulders of gypsum.

The Chapel of St.Zane has been completed. It raises next to tower and memorial hall, right over the cave-in shaft.

Brother Cornelius put the last stone block and went off to make statues for it.

Finally, we've made it!

So, what's the score of voting?
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Senshuken

• Bay Watcher
  • Defend till the end.
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: May 01, 2014, 09:38:43 am »

Might be easier if we set up a proper poll to do the voting with. Less clawing through countless pages to find votes.
Cause every silver lining has a cloud, and it won't be alright on the night; There's nothing at the end of the rainbow and there's a tunnel at the end of the light!
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 172