Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 172

Author Topic: Demongate: Wrapping up the Loose Ends.  (Read 669730 times)

Senshuken

• Bay Watcher
  • Defend till the end.
    • View Profile
Re: Demongate: There Are No Heroes
« Reply #930 on: May 03, 2014, 01:23:39 pm »

Now everybody's died, so until our tears are dried,
we'll drink and drink and drink and drink and then we'll drink some more.
We'll dance and sing and fight until the early mornin' light,
then we'll throw up, pass out, wake up and then go drinkin' once again.

Artyom simply stared at what he had written. He had only just proclaimed that he was going to try and get a band together and write a few songs so that Demongate would have a bit more of an impact on dwarfish culture the day before. In fact, mere hours after setting himself to this course of action he had began humming a tune he had never heard before but seemed... rather upbeat in nature. Now after a indifferent night of sleep, he was staring at words to go with the tune.

He had hummed the tune a few more times to make sure he had it right before singing the words to go with it... and it was rather catchy and easy to remember (Both of which were important due to the target audience/singers). He wouldn't say it to anyone else, but he couldn't help but feel that this chorus tapped into a part of the spirit of dwarfish existence. Of course, an outside perspective wouldn't be a bad thing. Picking up what he had written, he left his room with full intent of tracking down Gnora. If it met her approval, odds were good that most dwarfs would love it.

I admit I may have cheated a little here. I was looking up irish drinking songs in order to get some ideas and I found this :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vz9nHvmdAb4

Honest to the blood god, this chorus is compete and utter Dwarf Fortress material.

If anyone wants to know the history of anything or anyone, let me know. Some interesting things I found looking through the histories:
The goblin civ that we killed the law-giver of only has one site and 100 goblins left. War with elves and humans has taken everything else.
- Unib/Flame's husband, Stakud, was killed by a minotaur in 609.
- The only living demon rules a human civ.
- The Realm of Squares, a human civ, is ruled by a vampire. This vampire actually killed their previous law-giver and he worships only a titan. I don't doubt that every single character could find a reason to hate him.
- The Incidental Board, a bloodkin civ, has only one mountain hall and 55 bloodkin. The rest of the mountain halls were taken over by The First Iron.
- The Cudgel of Quietness, another bloodkin civ, has only one mountain hall and 112 bloodkin. The rest of the mountain halls were taken over by The Golden Town, a dwarven civ.
- There are two ways to get from the south up to the north continent. One is held by Demongate. The other is held by a civilization of elves called The Defended Pass. Near us are two massive civilizations of humans. If we fall, they can hold the pass.
- Gnorm ninjaed me while I was typing this post.

By any chance, does history recall the being that discovered alcohol? I suspect they may be considered a god at this point by the dwarfish people.     
Cause every silver lining has a cloud, and it won't be alright on the night; There's nothing at the end of the rainbow and there's a tunnel at the end of the light!

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: May 03, 2014, 02:27:37 pm »

Haven't played much today. I'll be posting an update maybe later tonight.

Anyway, as the situation has changed, here's a list of current priorities (If you want to see something here, just ask)

1. Finishing the pumpstack and constructing magma forges (by end of this year)
a) Melting goblinite (production should begin before the end of the year)
b) Beginning the reequipping process (again, before end of the year, though doesn't look like I'll be finishing that realistically)

2. Cleanup Duty
a) Mass looting (largely completed, though we'll have another round next time the gobbo's show up)
b) Mass melting (already on the list, I know)
c) Mass smashing (already underway - I'm going to start smashing random unusable refuse and worn clothing soon)

3. Morale Improvements
a) Room smoothing (Should be finished soon)
b) Proper furnishing (Underway; the process is slow as I'm building them as fast as I can make them)
c) Ghostbusters (it's actually really a pain, we're going to wind up with a random memorial in the middle of nowhere)

4. Meanwhile, in the Lower Caverns...
a) Commence adamantine mining (haven't gotten started yet, the miners have been busy. I'll start soon.)
b) Marksdwarf training vs Undead/Undead vs Bolts testing (Bunker under construction, although more may be necessary)
c) The security on the other cavern entrances needs to be improved (I haven't done squat)

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: May 03, 2014, 04:23:33 pm »

Found some stuff while going through the fort's stocks.

Thane, is there something you'd like to tell us?

Huh. Bug?

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: May 03, 2014, 05:28:29 pm »

1st Felcite

"Hello! This is another memo from your Overseer, Vlad. Be payingks of attention.
First, to the glass makers; if you're out of sand, go pick some up. It's not not hard, yes? There's sand all over the place. Delays in construction of the magma pump stack are delays in armingk your militia. Ve have plenty of lignite, yes. Ve do not have plenty of time to be managingk lignite stocks vhen production is required. Lignite vill also later be used to be forgingk steel, so foolish to be burningk it now, yes?
Room furnishingk is still underway, people, so relax. It just takes time. If you feel it's not goingk fast enough, feel free to become a mason and make those coffers yourselves, yes? Ve've augmented production already by getting the carpenters involved.
In other news, ve've stuck adamantine! No, it's not cursed. That is just superstition.

Rumors of vast numbers of undead discovered in a mysterious underground fortress are false, and the Knights insist they are false. I am told some of you have reported somethingk like this;

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Vell, you are, as the knights say, completely wrong. Attempts to explore the lower caverns are, as you vell know, handled exclusively by the militia in case of animal people attacks. Do not be listeningk to silly rumors.
Other silly rumors include theft from the recent Elven caravan. Stop vhining about conspiracy theories and drink your sunshine."
And person vho vastes my time and spreads stupid rumors about vhat I'm doingk (you know vho you are); you know you're only hurtingk the fort by insistingk on lettingk your personal feelingks come in the way of security or raisingk our standard of livingk. Feel free to come to your senses any time. That vas good booze you spilled too! For shame.

"So, you're saying that the... issue in the lower caverns is resolving itself?"
"Undead have been observed gradually leavingk fortress and running off into unexplored caverns, yes. Our entrance remains secure, however. One can hope that they'll vander out of the cavern for good, though I doubt ve'll get that lucky."
"You believe the danger has passed?"
"Of course not. Exploration suggests there is route from lower cavern to middle cavern, yes? There is also route to upper cavern. So the entrance to the upper cavern must be reinforced."
"Damn."
"It vill take a vhile for a militia squad to respond in time in case of an attack. I am stationing guard vessels and constructingk traps in the meantime. Ideally, ve'd dig out a bunker and have a squad of marksdwarves training their. Seeingk as ve have rather limited military resources...
"Well, it's nothing we can't handle, right? We were sent here to fight demons after all."
"How are the new recruits, Thane?"
"Still far from combat ready. Where's Dantheman?"
"Off sulkingk. Upset that I recalled the hunters from the caverns."
"How did he get himself cut again?"
"I don't know. But he took it like a champ, yes?"

"Hey Tarmid. Vhere is all the vood I've ordered cut? The carpenters are sayingk they're out."
"No idea, your lordship."
"Maybe Talonis knows. Have you seen him lately?"
"He appears to have withdrawn from society."
"It's almost a full moon. Are all the animals still accounted for?"
"Yes. Including all those kittens you ordered slaughtered."
"Vell I have no idea vhere he is then."

"Hello again Demongate! This 1st of Hetmatite, I have very special news. Congratulations are due to Talonis Wolf, vho is clearly a leatherworker out of legend! The darker kind of legend vhere thrones are made out of the corpses of the hero's enemies, apparently, but still. Look at this quiver."
"Delays continue on the magma pumps. Come on, dwarves. Step up your production efforts. Is key to survival and prosperity of fort, yes?
I'm also proud to announce that almost half of rooms currently filled have been deemed up to Demongate standard. Demongate standard vill hopefully rise in the future, vith rooms being engraved, but for now I for one am happy enough vith a cabinet, coffer and smooth stone valls, yes?
Mechanics, you have new orders. It is now apparent that not enough power vill be provided by the current vater vheels for the magma pumps to function. Ve are doubling our current number of pumps, yes? I'll put it this vay; the current system is short 22 pumps. Ve have a surplus of only 90 units of power. Do the math. Ve have schoolhouse now. Oh, and someone clean those corpses off the entrance; they're jamming the traps.

"One final thingk; as my first mandate as a baron, ve need 3 warhammers for future members of Thane's squad. Don't let me down.
P.S Gnora; I'm seizingk your office for official duties. Don't complain. You have no need of an office and ve're not furnishing another room fit for diplomacy vhen most of us don't even have proper living quarters. Get your junk out and feel ashamed of yourself, you resource-hogging trog.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 05:35:41 pm by MDFification »

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: May 03, 2014, 05:42:41 pm »

Found some stuff while going through the fort's stocks.

Thane, is there something you'd like to tell us?
Cornelius clearly just has a strange imagination. Or perhaps Gnora commissioned it and the snake man is a metaphor for Vladamir.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: May 03, 2014, 06:56:42 pm »

The Histories of The First Iron and Nearby Civilizations, an obsidian-bound book

Chapter 1: The First Iron

The First Iron has had only a few wars, most with the elves of The Lyrical Stone. The First Iron fought four wars with the elves, each only one battle each, under three different generals. The First Iron lost all four wars.

Then The First Iron turned their eyes toward The Incidental Board, a civilization of bloodkin, living in the same mountains as them. The first several battles showed mixed success, with many dwarves dying to kill only a few bloodkin. But eventually the bloodkin's lack of breeding caught up with them, and they began to lose. Between the years of 160 and 570, The First Iron conquered and reconquered site after site.

The only time the bloodkin saw a turnaround was in 368 the bloodkin Asen Pastwhipped the Virginal Wonder of Oil killed over 2700 dwarves alone. The next year, however, he was killed by an ettin, and the slaughter of bloodkin continued. Eventually the civilization was destroyed entirely in 570. All in all, the war claimed 14,292 dwarves and 2,750 bloodkin. Those numbers ended The First Iron's involvement in war.

- - - -

The First Iron has always reflected the thoughts of its kings. The first king, Fikod Trumpettrammel, had a fairly uneventful kingship. He ran off to become a necromancer in 24, and is still alive to this day. The second king, Eral Lensthunder, lasted only 11 years on the throne before being killed by a cyclops.

The third king, Zon Lancedmirrors, had a far more interesting life. In 60 he profaned the temple in Bitebronze, the mountainhome, and was cursed to become a vampire. When the dwarves of The First Iron found out, Zon placed a series of oppressive edicts upon them to keep himself in power. He waged a few unsuccessful wars against the elves. The First Iron expanded greatly during his reign, from 7 mountain halls in 37 to 48 in 120. No other mountain halls would be founded after that point. In 153 he started the war against the bloodkin of The Incidental Board, a conflict he would not see the end of, as he was killed by a bloodkin in 156 while foolishly fighting in a battle against them.

The fourth king, Doren Glenbridges, was a welcome change from the harsh life under Zon. The first thing she did after receiving the crown was to lift the oppressive laws laid on The First Iron by Zon, a move that granted her a place in the hearts of everyone. Unfortunately, her reign was not to last, and she died of old age in 168, 10 years after taking the throne. She was entombed in a place of honor in the very church Zon had profaned.

The fifth king, Ushrir Portaldwellings, had a fairly uneventful reign, despite holding the crown almost a hundred years. She died of old age in 257 an was entombed alongside Doren. The sixth king, Ushat Circlemine, was king for 27 years before profaning the temple in Bitebronze, being cursed to become a werebeast, and being driven from the town. She is still alive to this day. The seventh king, Udib Coalprides, had a fairly uneventful reign before dying of old age in 358. The eighth king, Cilob Helmedswallow, had a fairly uneventful reign before dying of old age in 369.

The ninth king, Dobar Warningsaber, profaned the temple in Bitebronze in 445 and was cursed to become a werebeast. He still lives to this day. The tenth king, Shorast Ringgulf, had a fairly uneventful reign before dying of old age in 496. The eleventh king, Unib Papercloaks, had a fairly uneventful reign before dying of old age in 540. The twelfth king, Ezub Sombertone, had a fairly uneventful reign before dying of old age in 594.

The thirteenth and current king, Datan Leafyquake, has had an uneventful reign so far. But who knows what the future will bring for her?

OOB: I'll be doing one of these for every civilization nearby Demongate. Does anyone want me to add more information to each chapter?

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: May 03, 2014, 07:16:18 pm »

4th Malachite

"Vlad?"
"Yes?"
"There's a problem reported in the caverns."
"Vhat kind of problem?"
"Shit."
"But, it's trapped behind two trees!"

"Armok has a sense of humor."
"Vell then, if that's all, everyone can go off-duty again. Trainingk is good, but between us, morale could use a boost. Let them enjoy their fancy new rooms and make a few friends, yes?"
"You're just hoping Thane will finally pop the question, aren't you?"
"Quit flappingk your gums and go do vhatever it is you do off-duty, Thanatos."

"Welcome, new migrants, to Demongate! My name is Tarmid, the local manager and a Scribe of the Order of St. Zane. Please follow me to your new rooms".
The migrants marveled. This fortress was pristine. Some mound of corpses in the field remained, although the entrance was so clean it practically glistened in the sun. The interior of the fortress was spottless, and well-furnished rooms had been prepared in advance of their arrival. The dwarves they met were friendly; even the soldiers cracked a grin or two seeing the new settlers march through the gate.
Immigrating had been a great choice.

"Why's Vlad get all this fancy junk, huh? His own tomb? Engraving his room before everyone elses?"
"That would be because he's the baron, Miss Gnora.
"Jumped up mercenary."

"Godsdamnit"
"I don't think this one can reach us either."
"But now the adamantine site smells like forgotten beast!"
"We'll have to keep an eye on it. It could decide to swim for the fortress."
"Hopefully not."

"Citizens of Demongate. Today is a tragic day. Our beloved Jim the Fifth managed, against all logic, to construct a vall and vind up on top of it. Nobody noticed his absence until it vas far too late to rescue him. A moment of silence shall be had in the dining hall, vhere any one of you lazy bastards could have decided to construct the ramp that vould save him.
A diplomat has arrived today. You may notice he is a reptile man vampire.

I'm just as confused as you are. Obviously, although ve can't really afford a var vith the humans at this point, it has to be put down. Ve'll have to take the consequences for slayingk this monster, but ultimately history vill judge us.

I think I accidentally reenabled the human diplomat. DFhack remembered my enabling it in the past. So, my bad. Also, going to war with the humans is a terrible idea, but whatever.
I'm having trouble finishing the pumpstack since the required components are being produced incredibly slowly. Summer's over now and I still have a good 20 or so to go.
We've finished the rooms (bar engraving them) and adamantine production has finally got underway though, so that's 2 goals down. I haven't touched Gnorm's siege engines yet because they're somewhat of a low priority.

I'm not sure what you guys are doing with the vault, but it currently won't hold out invaders if you're planning on using it as a safe-zone to reestablish the fort from. I'll be opening it temporarily and installing a floor hatch, then re-sealing it. That won't enter the write-up though, since Vlad doesn't know about it.
If anyone wants to start explaining why Vlad leaves office, you might want to establish it. He's pretty beloved at the moment, what with the improved morale and all. Excepting Gnora, who's office I confiscated on the grounds of Gnora doesn't need an office and I can't be bothered to dig and furnish a new one while I've got so much construction to do. Sorry.

Still that's more than enough for the day, you guys need time to do your thing. I hope Captain Archmage is still following this thread, because he needs to redwarf himself if he's going to play his turn. Someone contact him or something perhaps?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 07:17:55 pm by MDFification »

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: May 03, 2014, 07:24:37 pm »

There is only one human civ that isn't led by a vampire, and it's led by a demon. One of the vampires is an elf!

Rhaken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: May 03, 2014, 07:40:03 pm »

There is only one human civ that isn't led by a vampire, and it's led by a demon. One of the vampires is an elf!

I told y'all that this world was amazing.

I should have a pretty interesting writeup done tomorrow, I'm just waiting on news from 4mask.
Of course, he may have simply crushed the forgotten beasts with his massive testicles.

Forget a spouse, he needs a full time gonad wrangler.

danmanthedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: May 03, 2014, 07:41:15 pm »

"Huh so your like a vampire snake right," Dantheman asking curiously? "YeSSSSSS I am a vampire SSSSnakeman, ISSSSSS it a promble furry... blob fiSSSSSSh thing?" Replied the Diplomat. "No it won't but keep your umm fangs away from the citizens.... also do you have double fangs?"

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: May 03, 2014, 07:43:06 pm »

I should have a pretty interesting writeup done tomorrow, I'm just waiting on news from 4mask.

Y'all conspiring and I'm just sitting here wishing turns lasted longer than a year.  :-\
Definitely sign me up for round two barring new players.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: May 03, 2014, 07:49:49 pm »

I think I accidentally reenabled the human diplomat. DFhack remembered my enabling it in the past. So, my bad.
I've had human diplomats before, and I never use 3rd-party tools. I do know the the elves do not send diplomats without patches, though.

Excepting Gnora, who's office I confiscated on the grounds of Gnora doesn't need an office and I can't be bothered to dig and furnish a new one while I've got so much construction to do. Sorry.
I honest thought it was simply to lure me out and make me write up their meeting, which I am currently working on. Anything you want Vlad to say/force upon Gnora?
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: May 03, 2014, 08:05:12 pm »

I think I accidentally reenabled the human diplomat. DFhack remembered my enabling it in the past. So, my bad.
I've had human diplomats before, and I never use 3rd-party tools. I do know the the elves do not send diplomats without patches, though.

Excepting Gnora, who's office I confiscated on the grounds of Gnora doesn't need an office and I can't be bothered to dig and furnish a new one while I've got so much construction to do. Sorry.
I honest thought it was simply to lure me out and make me write up their meeting, which I am currently working on. Anything you want Vlad to say/force upon Gnora?
Nah, go nuts. Also I wouldn't rush you, Gnorm. Steal your offices, yes, but never rush you. Although to be fair, remember in the last game I desecrated Fractal's tomb, stole his coffin for my own tomb and collapsed part of his megaproject, killing several children and loosing an adamantine block/several gem windows, for really no reason at all.

You've really had human diplomats before? I never saw one until I put it back in through DFhack, although now that I think about it those are dedicated diplomats, not the random noble they sent in this game. I know it's possible in vanilla but now that I think about it it's weird I've never seen this before.
So, not my fault, although the fact that it's a lizard-man vampire still weirds me out enough to cause a war.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: May 03, 2014, 08:11:23 pm »

also do you have double fangs?
No, his fangs are just twice as long.  :P

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
Re: Demongate, a Succession Fortress Against Evil
« Reply #944 on: May 03, 2014, 09:00:42 pm »

Updated my quote post to include a turn list in case Asmoth goes inactive. Now with links!
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 172