Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 172

Author Topic: Demongate: Wrapping up the Loose Ends.  (Read 665445 times)

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
Re: Demongate: There Are No Heroes
« Reply #1020 on: May 05, 2014, 06:31:16 pm »

I misread and mistyped.
The person before the current person has a second turn.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: May 05, 2014, 08:39:33 pm »

I misread and mistyped.
The person before the current person has a second turn.
... which is relevant because? I played my turn and took my spot at the bottom of the queue. I just think that it's a little questionable to be reserving a second turn when you haven't had the opportunity to play yet. And my instincts don't really matter in this at all. Remember, I don't have to like it; there's nothing wrong with it, and if you want to, go ahead.
I see Flame has a second turn listed, so you're not even the first person to ask. Just wait for Asmoth to come back online and chill out, man.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: May 06, 2014, 04:16:22 am »

Whoops. Actually, I just misread who wanted the second turn.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: May 06, 2014, 07:52:28 am »

Well, you're on the list for the second turn, but the rule is that there has to be three turns between someone's first turn and their second, so if myself, Gnorm or MDF become unable to do our turns, yours may need to be shuffled around a bit.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: May 06, 2014, 10:05:17 am »

More testing results for F.U.C.K (really guys I need a better name, this is embarassing.)
-Regrow rate of grass is roughly seasonal, so our fire rate is restricted to once per season.
-Rain, although no longer extinguishing the trigger mechanism, does still curtail the spread of the grass fires. It can even put them out entirely, which sucks.
-Building a bridge that raises away from the trigger mechanism where the combustible traps fall can be useful. This tends to catapult flaming projectiles extremely unpredictably; more testing is needed to determine whether or not this is a danger to the fortress as it's possible that burning objects could be flung inside the surface fortifications by the device. Possible application in Generation 3 if testing proves successful, as fires could conceivably be started on multiple points of the map.
-Though not revealed by testing, knowing that fire cannot spread up/down z-levels, channelling away the western hill as suggested by Flame (appropriate name) would make the weapon omnidirectional, capable of incinerating sieges, ambushes and elf caravans no matter where they spawn.

EDIT: More testing results from addition of a bridge catapult;
-Burning projectiles have been observed flying 10 tiles away from point of origin.
-Fortifications allow these projectiles through them, even if placed above the bridge. The working design for Generation 3 will be amended to stop you from setting your own dwarves on fire.
-There was an extremely wide pattern of projectile dispersal. I think I can tighten this through minor modifications.
-If there's an upper weight limit on how much can be flung at once, I haven't found it.

Some tentative conclusions;
-The rate at which the fire starts and spreads can be increased through a secondary catapult stage.
-Simple devices to fling large numbers of objects in one direction can be created. Minecart Shotgun's aren't the only type of shotgun possible to build, although the bridge-operated version suffers from less range, poor accuracy and low firing speeds. I hereby christen this less advanced device the Dwarven Blunderbuss.

EDIT2:
-Additional testing reveals continued 'leaking' of munitions into the loading chamber. Doors will be installed in an attempt to limit collateral damage to nearby personnel.
-Smoke also floods the loading chamber, which may interfere with pathing (I haven't observed it giving bad thoughts, though). This should be solved by installing doors at proper locations.
-The need for munitions that burn longer (and preferably have greater density) is becoming apparent. Tin bars actually become molten when exposed to fire - could they serve as longer-lasting, denser fire-starters? Testing will tell.
-Dwarves are, for whatever reason, determined to clean the mud off the firepath that crosses the creek. Replacing it with a stockpile for used cloths might be a better way to create a flammable path for fire to spread across the brook.

Generation 3 is shaping up to be weirder than ever, although it's still utterly unnecessary.
@Peregarret; it's kind of exploit-y, but trolls should rush up to pointlessly try to break the floodgate (they never will) and light themselves on fire. As for the goblin thing, the difficulty would be making a path dwarves never use (restricted areas are still frequently used to grab that illusive XXtroll fur sockXX stuck in the mechanism, and children are notorious for not obeying burrow restrictons). Although I have to admit this would be hilarious when the 'Kin show up, as zombies aren't killed by fire (I think) and their necromancy would burn the entire map.
FLICK: Floodgate/Lava Incendiary Catapult .... K?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 10:49:44 am by MDFification »

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: May 06, 2014, 10:35:31 am »

More testing results for F.U.C.K (really guys I need a better name, this is embarassing.)
F.L.I.C.K, for example. Floodgate Lava Incendiary-C.K.

Also, I've got a few more ways to utilise ever-burning floodgate.
First, let goblins march through it when it's open and lit on. Fried crispy gobbos, anyone?
Second, let trolls gather around it when it's closed and contains magma behind. Trolls are trying to crush it, and then it suddenly opens - hooray! a hot surprize!
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: May 06, 2014, 06:37:55 pm »

How's the turn, Captain?
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: May 06, 2014, 07:33:55 pm »

How's the turn, Captain?

Archmage is playing two succession games at once (this and Moltenchannels) so expect Rhaken-level usage of time available for his turn.

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: May 06, 2014, 10:33:16 pm »

flaming lava incendiary catapult Kitten, of course.
This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: May 07, 2014, 03:21:18 pm »

Use the crundles for animal trainer practice.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: May 07, 2014, 06:11:07 pm »

I'll try to post some more story and lore soon, to keep this thread from stagnating.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: May 07, 2014, 06:20:07 pm »

Time to get some shit done, right? Right?

Somewhere, in the depths of a Dwarven Mountain Halls.......

A dwarf is at a desk, punching keys on an arcane machine. The desk is against a stone wall. There are some glowing torches on the walls, which illuminate a massive heap of books, vials, and broken glass spread all over the room save for upon a path from the desk's throne to the bed, the throne to the door, and the bed to the door. A sheet of paper inches its way out of the arcane machine with writing on it as the dwarf types.

The Wizard's Journal - 7th Obsidian, 658 of the New Dwarven Calendar

Bad news. I have today learned that my agent in Demongate hath been killed in a goblin raid. I think that may maketh a new record for poor survival, but we cannot delay. The Plan must be put into action as soon as possible. I have relayed a message to another contact of mine in Demongate to take command of the fortress. Hopefully he will not mess up the operation.

Meanwhile in Demongate.......

Guild Log by Helgarde, Miners Guildmaster, 1st Granite 659

Two days ago, I received a message from the Other Capitol that this fortress of Demongate needs to be properly secured, as it seems to be "a festering blot of ill-defended shame upon dwarvenkind". Apparently the Other Capitol's agent got killed in a goblin ambush, and now at least he is angry about it. To "secure" Demongate, I need to start using the considerable leverage I have in the fortress power structure. I don't think this is going to be too hard at all.

Guild Log by Helgarde, Miners Guildmaster, 2nd Granite 659

I've brought most of the important people in on The Plan. The Mayor, Besmar Forbes, is married to a certain shady individual whom I have considerable influence over, mostly because the miners produce the gypsum supplies he needs. It didn't take too much to get both of them to practically hand over power to me.

I also got the support of B.A.L.L.S., the hammerer. B.A.L.L.S. isn't exactly a normal dwarf, and "hammerer" is synonymous with "mayorial enforcer". Easy job, if only I could get "Talonis Wolf" into the plan I'd have all the law enforcement under my thumb, and all the relevant power to use.

We were missing a fortress champion to keep morale around here up, so I picked a mechanic who calls himself "Spiral". I think his mind has been wrapped around a few gears too many, but that means he isn't going to be paying much attention to what we're doing. He now calls himself "Champion of Demongate".

Now that the Fortress is mine, I just need to secure it, but of course that should wait until the new Guildhouse is built.

Guild Log, 3rd Granite

I found some rooms we had already mined, and I think they will do well to make those rooms mine. It is truly great when you can order other people to furnish your own rooms without any work required on your part. Of course, I had to do some work because a fight broke out with a troglodyte in the caverns, and I had to order the 1st hammer squad to deal with it. They cleaned it up without any injuries, which is probably a good sign.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 07:23:15 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: May 08, 2014, 01:18:32 am »

Gnora's Journal
Helgarde
--
With all the migrants lately, I guess it's natural that they'd be forming guildes eventually. One of the miners did appoint himself head of the new Miner's Guilde; Helgarde's his name. He seems to have the mayor and the hammerer in his palm, and that ain't good. I reckon that he's fixin' to take over this fort, and he don't fool me! I may be just a farmer, but I ain't dumb; that's the mistake that everyone I've ever met has made. I ain't dumb.

Helgarde and the Guilde have been moving about over the past few days. Vlad'll hand him over everything, no doubt in my mind. Vlad's a lazy idiot, and he'll be more than happy to hand his position to this new fellow. I can't say I like the thought of either running the fort, but I still wonder: Would Helgarde be as bad as Vlad?

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: May 08, 2014, 09:48:36 am »

Journal of Vlad, # Who Cares

The mayor tells me he finally has found someone vho he thinks is villingk to take over the job of Overseer. Tarmid advised against givingk up the position, seeingk as I'm apparently popular enough to hold on to it and I mostly listen to his advice anyway. Still, I'm fed up vith this. I have to command the militia, be chief noble (vhich entails responsibilities I am vaguely aware of, and powers I can use to basically never be told vhat to do in Demongate again) and run the civilian portion of the fort too? Is ridiculous, yes?
Anyway to make Thane happy I told the mayor he can choose the next Overseer provided it's nobody I think vill lead us all to our deaths. So this Helgarde figure has the support of the dwarf the citizens elected to represent them, yes? He can do the job then. Best of luck to him; if he tries to tell me how to run the militia or interferes too much vith the industries that support it, his term may go very badly, yes?
Anyway this guy tells me to appoint a new hammerer and a fortress champion, and provides candidates. Vhat the hell, I think. I'll see how this turns out.
Just so long as nobody interferes vith my plans. I have a var to prepare for, after all.
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 172