Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 172

Author Topic: Demongate: Wrapping up the Loose Ends.  (Read 669945 times)

Senshuken

• Bay Watcher
  • Defend till the end.
    • View Profile
Re: Demongate: There Are No Heroes
« Reply #1050 on: May 10, 2014, 03:21:08 am »

Artyom Barkov's journal

It would seem that the current overseer is now the head of the local miner's guild...

It isn't like I wanted the job or anything... Would have been nice to have been asked when the guild was being founded, but what can you do. Maybe I'll try to take the position once the current head of the miner's guild gets himself killed one day, but whatever.

Gnona seems to have been rather upset as of late.. I'll pay her a visit later just to hang out and drink something. We have both been here since the start and I am a little ashamed to admit that I don't know her as well as I would like.

Doesn't hurt that she isn't been looking either

Until next time.
Cause every silver lining has a cloud, and it won't be alright on the night; There's nothing at the end of the rainbow and there's a tunnel at the end of the light!

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: May 10, 2014, 02:43:28 pm »

During the month of granite, the following ordinances were issued from Mayor Besmar Forbes

§Mayorial Ordinance: Conventional Furnace Shutdown§
Effective 7th Granite 659

Effective immediately, all conventional furnaces are to cease operation as the fortress makes the transition to magma furnaces.

Signed,
Mayor Besmar Forbes

§Mayorial Ordinance: Designs Approved for Invader Disposal Paraphernalia§
Effective 10th Granite 659

Approval has been given for the constructions of:
i) drowning chamber by the brook in order to dispose of invaders.
ii) impalement chamber on wall to dispose of invaders, mimumum drop 10 levels.

Signed,
Mayor Besmar Forbes

§Mayorial Ordinance: Designs Withdrawn§
Effective 19th Granite 659

Designs for impalement chamber on wall have been withdrawn owing to improper hallway dimensions and disruptions on a route of military importance.

Signed,
Mayor Besmar Forbes

§Mayorial Ordinance: Preliminary Approval of Magma Furnace Designs§
Effective 22nd Granite 659

Preliminary designs have been approved for magma forges on level 101, next door to the drinks stockpile and current forge arrangements. Magma channels will be excavated on level 100. Significant noise levels anticipated in residential areas.

Signed,
Mayor Besmar Forbes

§Mayorial Ordinance: Plumbing Network and Pimping Station§
Effective 23rd Granite 659

Designs have been approved for a plumbing network to be excavated down to the ceiling of the second cavern layer. A pimping station has been approved for supplying water from the broom.

Signed,
Mayor Besmar Forbes

§Mayorial Ordinance: Resizing of Pimping Station§
Effective 23rd Granite 659

The specifications for the pimping station have been increased to at least two pimps. Further pimps are to be added at the discretion of the Miner’s Guild.

Signed,
Mayor Besmar Forbes

§Mayorial Ordinance: Magma Furnaces§
Effective 24th Granite 659

The miners guild will be excavating space for 10 magma furnaces, of which five will be magma smelters, two will be magma kilns, and three will be glass furnaces. Further space has been designated for two magma smelters for the sole purpose of processing special goods. Tunnelling work will be carried out for two dedicated isolateable feed lines, each supplying magma to five magma furnaces. Two minecart terminals have been designated for supplying sand and clay to the glass furnaces and kilns respectively.

Signed,
Mayor Besmar Forbes

§Mayorial Mandate: Floodgates§
Effective 25th Granite 659

Masons are to construct a minimum of four magma-safe floodgates by 25th Felsite. Failure to produce the required number of floodgates will result in a fine of ☼50 and 5 days imprisonment per floodgate.

Signed,
Mayor Besmar Forbes

§Mayorial Ordinance: Top-Of-Wall Walkway Thingy§
Effective 27th Granite 659

The northern walls of Demongate will have an extended walkway built to minimum specifications at least.

Signed,
Mayor Besmar Forbes

End of Month Report by Helgarde, 28th Granite 659

After a full month on the job, we seem to be going somewhere towards securing this fortress. The expansion has been easy, but the planning has been a nightmare. What a nightmare! Fortress planning can send the most sane mind into a spiral of insanity. At least I can get the mayor to do pretty much everything I want now.

You see, we need to have furnaces operating around here for processing “gypsum”. That is not the gypsum in our stone stockpiles, which is only one component of “gypsum”. Usually, it requires the cooperation of the furnace operators, but you need to have working furnaces to do that, and we just had the conventional ones shut down for the switchover to magma. This means the Miner’s Guild and furnace operators can hold all the so-called “gypsumheads” to ransom by controlling the speed of the switchover, and as the mayor’s level of “gypsumhead” is worthy of legend, it means we, or rather, I, now run everything around here. The only side effects of the “gypsum” shortage I’ve seen around here is that the “gypsumheads” are on the verge of losing their marbles, and it shows.

I’m going to get a message to the Other Capitol about the progress around here in the next month if I can. If I can’t get a reliable messenger in the fortress though, I will have to wait for the Spring caravan or the next migrant wave. Usually, there are certain people who hang around outside the fortress area for a while.

Here’s to a prosperous month of Slate!

« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 08:03:43 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: May 10, 2014, 07:15:38 pm »

A pimping station?
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: May 10, 2014, 07:22:29 pm »

A pimping station?
Now that's a project I can back.
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: May 10, 2014, 07:23:42 pm »

You haven't heard of pimping stations? You can build them when the economy is turned on. A dwarf gets into the pimping station and levies money from all the dwarves that pass by. It's a good way to collect taxes for your fort. :P

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: May 10, 2014, 08:45:47 pm »

You haven't heard of pimping stations? You can build them when the economy is turned on. A dwarf gets into the pimping station and levies money from all the dwarves that pass by. It's a good way to collect taxes for your fort. :P

Well played, well played.

Aquifer flood = !!NO FPS!!

Guild Entry by Helgarde, 2nd Slate 659

Absolute disaster. Apparently, there is a huge fucking aquifer in the entire layer of loamy sand, which is preventing us from building like anything in there. It also means the “pimping” station is really just that - we don’t need pumps, we can just tap the aquifer for water. “Pimping station”, damn. The mayor must be losing her marbles. I heard this could happen when a “gypsumhead” went into withdrawal, but never thought it would be that....... perfect. I’m sure I can work with a “pimping” station without the plumbing, and I will modify the current designations later.

The good news is I now have a means to get us OVER 9000 units of power if I can get the mayor to sign the mandate legibly.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: May 10, 2014, 09:15:23 pm »

Excerpts from Stinthäd "FallenAngel" Ducimisak's Notebook

Finally got a hold of an actual notebook and not a stone tablet. Despite not being dwarven it is much more effective. Either way, I have heard that furnaces will be shut down temporarily, although I cannot understand why. I miss the smell of burning coal already, but I've comforted myself by taking some from the stockpile and slowly burning it in my quarters. Wait, is paper flammable? I better rip out this page fast, a corner of this notebook is on fire.

The rest of the notebook is a pile of chars.

(OOC: This is the first time I've done something like this, so it's probably not great)

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: May 10, 2014, 09:43:28 pm »

I take it that this FallenAngel dwarf isn't exactly the sharpest knife in the drawer.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: May 11, 2014, 10:02:51 am »

Dwarves don't exactly sit on piles of paper.
What's the chance that a dwarf knows that paper is made from trees and is flammable?
Really low, that's what.
Not even the best bookkeeper would know.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: May 11, 2014, 03:44:20 pm »

What's the chance that a dwarf knows that paper is made from trees and is flammable?
Really low, that's what.

DISPATCH FROM THE OVERSEER: Paper isn’t used that much in Dwarf Fortress, unless we are running mods, which is why dwarves don't. I don’t see no mods, but if there are any there are none that add custom book making. Writing in the game either goes on stone or on ass fiend leather. Ass fiend leather is harvested from the finest asses fiends, which have fiery breath, so as far as I am concerned it is not flammable.

Please don’t make me write fucking fire regulations for Demongate. Trust me, you have good dwarves and it would be a shame if something were to happen to them.

Upcoming: Stuff gets done, stuff doesn’t get done. Migrants seem a little low in number, are we already at the 1000 population point where that stuff happens?

Guild Journel by Helgarde, 17th Slate 659

The last thing I wrote down in here was about the fucking aquifer incident. I don’t know how I missed that, but I had to frantically call off the mining designations for the minecart route. We have just one layer of solid rock between us and the flooding of the fortress! I think we need some storm drains around here, just in case. The Other Capitol were right, this place is indeed not as safe as I thought.

The insanity continued. Firstly, we had a restless ghost rise from the dead, Rakust Intensedike, a macedwarf. Afterwards, we had about three births between Lokum Usânsolon the miner, Litast Solothalal the Blacksmith, and Ber Inolkeskal the Siege Engineer. Vladimir Uristovitch the Mercenary then imposed a ban on the export of war hammers.

I changed the burrow rules to keep all the children in the upper half of the fortress, away from the troglodyte infested first cavern layer. I added a new door with some beautiful marble framing, but it probably won’t be long until it gets splattered with blood. I took "Brother Cornelius” off engraving and added him to the same burrow as the children, because that way he will actually work on important things like the magma-safe floodgate mandate. Did I tell you the entire stone stockpile is full of fucking gypsum and clay? I had to make a new stockpile just for magma-safe stone.

I then discovered five cages with dead animals in them. There was a stray giant bushtit, which died of old age, which I think I heard about that one. There four other dead animals had actually starved to death, because they needed to eat grass. Damnation! Do I have to ask the mayor to draft animal welfare ordinances to keep shit together?

No sooner had we finished excavating the smelters, we got migrants, about nine of them. Here’s the list:
i) Tulon Workburn, who seems to be a high ranking member of House Ber, the guild of farmers and fisherdwarves.
ii) Onol Wheeledbridged, a great miner. Finally, the guild is getting more members! This guy is great at negotiation and an expert in intimidation, consoling, and pacifying. I’ll have him apply pressure to the mayor once he learns the ropes around here.
iii) Zaneg Lancednature, wife of Tulon Workburn, novice marksdwarf, great bonecarver, great negotiator, has novice mechanical, siege operating, and pumping skills. I suspect she was drafted into the military.
iv) Åblel Tradedgang, also from House Ber. She is a great beekeeper, an accomplished conversationalist, and talented negotiator, intimidator, and flatterer. She can also do milking and cooking. She is the wife of Zas.
v) Zas Palaceblazes, a great comedian and a great boyer.
vi) Rith Catchdaggers, a hunter of House Fer, who is also an armoursmith. This individual dropped her expensive crossbow, quiver, and bolts so I am definitely not happy with her.
vii) Udil Grantehoist the Blacksmith.

The other migrants disappeared into the crowd before I could find them. I will take the opportunity now to send the message back to The Other Capitol.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 04:55:06 pm by CaptainArchmage »

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: May 11, 2014, 04:34:35 pm »

Really low, that's what.

DISPATCH FROM THE OVERSEER: Paper isn’t used in Dwarf Fortress, unless we are running mods, which is why dwarves don't.
Neither are typewriters; I feel that a certain segregation between game-play and story is acceptable for something as trivial as paper to write upon.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: May 11, 2014, 04:42:32 pm »

Really low, that's what.
Upcoming: Stuff gets done, stuff doesn’t get done. Migrants seem a little low in number, are we already at the 1000 population point where that stuff happens?

Nope. We just haven't been producing a ton of value recently.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: May 11, 2014, 04:55:34 pm »

Really low, that's what.

That would be good news. We do have a demonic fortress down there, so maybe the count from the denizens of that place is causing issues?

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: May 11, 2014, 04:58:44 pm »

Really low, that's what.

That would be good news. We do have a demonic fortress down there, so maybe the count from the denizens of that place is causing issues?
Nah, the undead down there don't count for the dead units list until they get re-killed, as they spawned undead. Although I notice that the ones I reveal occasionally just run off into the unexplored caves for no reason, so something weird is going on down there.
As it currently stands anything willing to path through the water can actually access all of our cavern levels. They're super interconnected. It's kind of dangerous.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: May 11, 2014, 04:59:34 pm »

From the engravings of Stinthäd "FallenAngel" Ducimisak

Well, until the furnaces are up and running again, I'm banned from the bar stockpiles. Something about "no burning charcoal in your room". To pass the time until I can make stuff out of metal again, I've decided to sit around in the food stockpile and light the vermin on fire by hitting flint against some iron I found. It's practically the same thing. Sadly, since my notebook burned, I have to go back to engraving my notes on rocks. Either way, have you ever seen a brown recluse spider burn to death? It flails wildly, like a dwarf would. Hopefully nobody notices me burning small creatures in the food stockpile.
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 172