Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 172

Author Topic: Demongate: Wrapping up the Loose Ends.  (Read 672775 times)

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
Re: Demongate: There Are No Heroes
« Reply #1110 on: May 23, 2014, 10:11:32 am »

Sorry guys, I was completely occupied by real life stuff, but I will attempt to get this completed by the weekend. Before the weekend, even.

I HAVE A DREAM THAT ONE DAY, THE CHILDREN OF DEMONGATE WILL BE JUDGED, NOT BY THE FACT THEIR BEING ELVES, BUT- OhFuckItWrongSpeech.

No shit, that speechwriter should be fired. Out of a magma cannon.

Not a problem man, just gotta keep poking you to make sure you're alive. Things tend to get a bit hectic this time of year for most people.
As for the speechwriter... well we could make a pumpstack to the surface. It'd take some doing, though. We'd need... a 5x3 block of dirt/stone through the aquifer? It can be done. It's damn inconvenient though, because we'd be dropping it right on top of the magma forges.

The alternative is to use the draining method with pumps, which will also get our dwarves nice and strong. Ideally we can dig out most of the aquifer so the stone just underneath it is useful.

Aquifer powerplants are both feasible and powerful.

True that. Although ideally we should minimize digging in general; apparently simply having a mined-out space lowers the framerate since it's now included in pathing calculations. So for the sake of Framerate it'd probably be best to fully exploit the expanse of brook we have until our power requirements rise above what it can easily provide.
It's be a good idea to set up a minor thing by the aquifer so we can pump water directly from it to fortress cisterns, however, if only for medical purposes. Right now I'm pretty sure we're drinking out of the brook/ponds at the surface, which is kind of bad. They get befouled easily, and inevitably we will fuck up and let the surface get overrun. Speaking of which, a secondary gate (to seal off the fortress interior from the surface defenses) is probably a good thing to set up, and won't take much time. ENGINEERING FOR THE ENGINEER GOD.

... a device to cleans the access to the caverns with magma might also help us survive dangerous syndromes when they inevitably appear? Damn this game.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: May 23, 2014, 05:00:17 pm »

Right now I'm pretty sure we're drinking out of the brook/ponds at the surface, which is kind of bad.
What about my wells! They're channeled into the aquifer.
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: May 23, 2014, 07:49:31 pm »

I have updated my previous post with images of the battle’s aftermath, and the battle logs. I have also backed up a save, so if there is a horrific crash that corrupts the save files, I have something to fall back upon.

"ARGHGGGGGG!! TO BATTLE MY BROTHERS, FIGHT ON TO THE VERY LAST BOLT." *Well shooting bolts by the handful.*

So did I get any kills in the battle.

Your last named kill is listed as being in the year 656, so unfortunately not. However, I will try to get you some more kills if there are future battles. If shit doesn’t happen I can try to use dfhack to force an invasion, and this likely includes bloodkin battles.

To get around the migrant limitations, which are growing, when it is time for another wave I can spam “force migration” (I need to load the script first) to get something like 40-50 migrants, which will almost certainly cause the fortress to go into panic mode. I’d really like to have a heavily populated metropolis over here, though not necessarily one that is the capital.

The following message is to be found in numerous locations
Citizens of Demongate!

Following our victory over the goblins, ‘Brother Cornelius’ has carved a masterpiece! Where shall it be placed? You decide!

Mayorial Ordinance: Health and Safety Mandates
22nd Felsite 659

Magma is dangerous! Magma can burn! Demongate needs magma-safe grates! The construction of 10 Magma-Safe Grates is mandated to take place by 22nd Galena this year. Grates must be installed around the power interface for the magma pimpstack by 22nd Galena of this year. Failure to comply will result in penalties ranging from ☼5000 fines to anti-troglodyte duty.

Guildmaster’s Log, 25th Felsite, 659

Today, we finished carving out the obsidian fabricator, but the work doesn’t stop there. We need some way to safely connect the fabricator to magma, and we need working water plumbing for that as well. That will be a task for the coming months. We also need to site a control room for the magma plumbing for the forges. Maybe we should have one, centralised control chamber instead of a few control rooms here and there?

To fulfil the mayor’s mandate, I have ordered a few grates and am installing them around the magma “pimpstack”. Knowing the mayor, we also need to pimp out the place with engravings too.

I have received a suggestion from “Gnorm” to set the statue in a Hall of Founders, and to construct the Hall of Founders if it does not exist yet.

As I was listening to the Warcraft II theme during this, this announcement played out in a most appropriate voice.

Guildmaster’s Log, 26th Felsite, 659

Spoiler: The Announcement (click to show/hide)

Hell, it is about time.

Seasonal Report, 1st Hematite, 659

To summarise my first season as the Mining Guildmaster in Demongate, I have taken control of the fortress owing to the Mayor’s urgent need of rehabilitation general state of things, and overwhelmed and defeated an immense goblin siege. Our Baron, Vladimir Uristovich, has just begun negotiations with the Outpost Liason for this year’s trade agreement. Our fortress has grown to 162 dwarves, which probably means will be considered a metropolis once the Outpost Liason gets back to the capital. We’re in the process of switching the forges over to magma, and some carefully labeled levers have been set up next to the library, which are carefully labeled. The signs clearly say, ‘1’, ‘2’, and ’S’ where the numbers are the magma branches, and ’S’ is the main supply.

We have also dug out some living quarters in the depths of our domain, and also dug out an obsidian fabricator, but completion will have to wait until we finish digging out some extra forges and link the adamantine processing area.

A new threat has emerged in the depths of our domain as a three-tailed Dimetrodon shows up. It cannot fly, but it might swim around to the adamantine mines, in which case we will have to fight it. The quarters we dug down there aren’t furnished in any way, but it would be really bad if the area were overrun.

The latest tasks I ordered were more smoothing, tree-cutting, and because of a bag shortage, I’m having cloth bags made. We should have more wood, sugar and dyes at the end of this. I attached a millstone to the surface power conduit, and that is working for now.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 10:26:31 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: May 23, 2014, 08:09:56 pm »

We're avoiding using third perty tools here. It's in the rules and everything.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: May 23, 2014, 08:29:06 pm »

Place the statue in the Hall of the Founders. If such a hall does not exist, make it exist.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: May 23, 2014, 11:22:10 pm »

OK, some things have come-up in game. I really don’t know how to Roleplay it though, because it is so crazy. Mostly RNG stuff. Also we have flowing magma, and we didn’t set anything on fire yet.

Place the statue in the Hall of the Founders. If such a hall does not exist, make it exist.

It does not exist, so I’m going to build it.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: May 24, 2014, 02:29:13 am »

I have received a suggestion from “Gnorm” to set the statue in a Hall of Founders, and to construct the Hall of Founders if it does not exist yet.
"Gnorm" is not a character; Gnora is. I don't think she'd be the one to suggest making a hall dedicated to the founders at this point in time though, so it might be best to just label it as a generic dwarf's suggestion.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: May 24, 2014, 10:57:39 am »

Forgotten beasts are building destroyers, right? Does that mean it can destroy the adamantine sword?
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

danmanthedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: May 24, 2014, 12:25:59 pm »

Forgotten beasts are building destroyers, right? Does that mean it can destroy the adamantine sword?
No... maybe but I would be hard to test.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: May 24, 2014, 03:43:53 pm »

Guildmaster’s Log, 9th Hematite 659

Spoiler: What has been going on (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Miasma underground (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Miasma aboveground (click to show/hide)

Today, the mayor’s spouse and known gypsum dealer had a bit of a nervous breakdown and grew attached to a masterwork iron spear before bestowing upon it the name “Tanglehours the Venerable Tree”. The spear has some history behind it.

We’ve developed a miasma problem, as the corpses rotting in the pit are generating an awful stench reaching the surface. I think we’ll have to ride this one out.

In the meantime, final preparations are being made for the powering of the magma furnaces, and we should get the supply branch filled soon. I had the power disconnected for installation of gears to switch off the pumpstack if necessary.

Guildmaster’s Log, 20th Hematite 659

Spoiler: We have magma! (click to show/hide)

The blood of the earth is pouring into the channel we dug for it. Not long now until the forges can be restarted! We just need some more cleanup and smoothing, the rest will take care of itself.

Unfortunately, I’ve discovered a flaw in the obsidian fabricator design that requires the thing to have an extra level added on top.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 04:02:50 pm by CaptainArchmage »

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: May 24, 2014, 04:43:47 pm »

From the engravings of Stinthäd "FallenAngel" Ducimisak

I've heard that the forges will be back up and running soon. It's just as well; I swear the spiders are starting to become less prevalent. To my surprise, I have not been questioned once about what I am doing.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: May 24, 2014, 04:47:14 pm »

On the wall of Flame/Unib's room

The blood of the earth flows in our forges. Back to work!

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: May 24, 2014, 05:34:13 pm »

The blood of the earth flows in our forges. Back to work!

It will take a few more days to smooth up the last few conduits and get the stone out of them.

Guildmaster’s Journal, 21st Hematite 659

Today I just noticed a new mayor was elected, one of the fisherdwarves. It must have happened during all the chaos with the siege, but now we do not have a legendary-grade gypsumhead in charge of things we’re probably going to see things running a bit more smoothly.

End of Month Report, 28th Hematite 659

Spoiler: Troglodyte battle logs (click to show/hide)

Today, I said I would finish the end of month report by the end of the month, so here it is. Two days ago, Meng Fenceddabbles the Soap Maker ran into some troglodytes in the caverns. Not sure what he was doing down there, but he was in the 1st Hammer so I called them to arms. Why would you put a macedwarf in the “1st Hammer”? Maybe we will never know. Meng now has two hammer kills and I have attached a drawing of her with Oddom Voicedrings the Beekeeper, who is a proper hammerdwarf.

Other than the change of mayor and the modifications to the obsidian caster, the month was uneventful. The furnace conduits are all ready to go once the mechanic installs the gears. Then we pull the levers and get all the furnace operators back to work!

Spoiler: The new lever room (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Operational Furnaces (click to show/hide)

Guildmaster’s Journal, 2nd Malachite 659

Today we switched on the furnaces. Everything is working and there were no casualties. Excellent news, now we can re-start the smelting of ore.

This notice was found in the dining hall shortly after the magma furnaces went online.

FURNACE WORKERS WANTED

Adamantine strands need to be turned into wafers in the furnaces. Sign up now, start immediately.

Flame: You find the following message under your door.

Your personal magma forge is operational! We have enough steel for two battle axes.

=====Alright, that’s probably enough Dwarf Fortress for today, unless we’re going to siege the HFS.=====
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 07:03:44 pm by CaptainArchmage »

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: May 24, 2014, 08:14:16 pm »

Hooray! As part of the forge overhaul, I got my own magma forge!

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: May 25, 2014, 06:50:12 am »

Hey, next time, can we please, please, not generate so many demons, titans, and FBs?

To make a long story short, I managed to extract the randomly generated raws from the Demongate file. I used a utility called DFWorldTinker.

But to get to the demons, which is what I wanted, I had to scroll past a thousand titans and FBs. Then I get to the demons, and there are thirty-three of them. Why do we need this many demons? And to top it all off, none of the demons are formatted (there are no indents), so I have to format 33 creatures. My tab button is going to hate me after this.

But I can now answer any of your questions about demons or FBs, including what poisons they have. I will also be writing a super-top-secret post about the demons unless more than half the thread complains about it. In fact, I'm going to put it up no matter what, because it was hard as shit to get the info I needed.
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 172