Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 172

Author Topic: Demongate: Wrapping up the Loose Ends.  (Read 671491 times)

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Demongate: There Are No Heroes
« Reply #1215 on: May 30, 2014, 05:59:00 pm »

I had no idea that simple plaster had such self-destructive uses to the dwarves.
Much worse than Sunshine, eh?
Definitely not.
I think that actual plaster isn't the drug though - the drug is a chemical creation of which one of the components is a byproduct of gypsum processing.
That makes sense. But while on the subject, how much has the hospital been used as of yet?
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: May 30, 2014, 06:12:31 pm »

Quote from: Gnorm link=topic=137030.msg5326454#msg5326454 date=1401490740
That makes sense. But while on the subject, how much has the hospital been used as of yet?
[/quote

Not at all, and it is a good thing because it would have used adamantine thread for suturing dwarves.......

I had no idea that simple plaster had such self-destructive uses to the dwarves.
Much worse than Sunshine, eh?
I think that actual plaster isn't the drug though - the drug is a chemical creation of which one of the components is a byproduct of gypsum processing.

Wait, so this fortress was already addicted to another drug?
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: May 30, 2014, 06:17:43 pm »

As far as drugs go, "gypsum" is definitely a drug. Sunshine, depending on whom you ask, is either a particularly good drink or the devil's brew. Lenehan and Corley essentially smoked whatever plants they could get their hands on, including tobacco and valley herbs.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: May 30, 2014, 06:34:39 pm »

As far as drugs go, "gypsum" is definitely a drug. Sunshine, depending on whom you ask, is either a particularly good drink or the devil's brew. Lenehan and Corley essentially smoked whatever plants they could get their hands on, including tobacco and valley herbs.

*Depending on whether you asked Gnora or anyone else.

FTFY

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: May 30, 2014, 06:37:55 pm »

I'm sorry if this is too much to ask, but how many unclaimed dorfs are there? Can I have an overview on what deities they follow?
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: May 30, 2014, 07:08:33 pm »

I'm sorry if this is too much to ask, but how many unclaimed dorfs are there? Can I have an overview on what deities they follow?
There are probably quite a few. The Captain seems to be giving some of the unclaimed ones custom professions, but such practices can be easily taken care of. Were you interested in a dwarf?

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: May 30, 2014, 07:15:53 pm »

Weeeelll, we should have a good 150+ dwarves now, and less than 20 dorfs.
That's a lot of deities to list though. Maybe it'd be better to list the deities so you can request a worshiper of one?

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: May 30, 2014, 07:26:41 pm »

There are plenty of unclaimed dwarves. I think, actually, most dwarves are unclaimed which is why I handed out so many custom profession titles. We have 175 now, by the way.

This fortress seems to have a lot of shady stuff going on.

Guildmaster’s Journal, 14th Galena 659

Today, the magma channel finally broke through to the clay! A shaft has been dug to the surface, and I have sealed off another piece of land within the fortress. I believe we can use this as a lava tank.

The processing of sugar, flour, and dye was going so painfully slow I had more millstones built aboveground. That platform is also being used for the new beehives, I hope we can avoid too many stings.

I have commissioned a new castle or manor aboveground that will help us hold the line from the west. I have named it Castle Helgarde, after myself of course.

Helgarde’s Personal Journal, 14th Galena 659

Spoiler: FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUU (click to show/hide)

No! Usu the forgotten beast with three tails is assaulting the adamantine mine! I have ordered the Knights of St. Zane, the 1st Axe, the 1st Hammer, the Tin Flames, and the 1st Sword to action. Unfortunately this means they have to get all the way from the surface down to the lower levels of the fortress. I’ve had the hatches locked but I don’t know how long they will hold.

Fortress Log, 16th Galena 659

Spoiler: Athrig Acoeslo (click to show/hide)

Just as the combat squads are heading down to the depths, another horror arrives next to the underground structure. Usu is assaulting one of the bauxite hatches and it is taking damage. All squads, charge!

Fortress Log, 17th Galena 659

Spoiler: The battlefield (click to show/hide)

We have victory over Usu! The Axedwarf Ustuth Chastefigures decapitated the monster, his first kill. I will take the Baron off the 1st Axe to get him to meet the liason, and also fortify the lower caverns so this kind of attack does not happen again. We also have to replace the floor hatch, which is not a really good way to secure the fortress. That open area has suffered quite a few forgotten beast attacks in the past as the corpses show.

Hopefully we’ll get the human caravan in the next few days to settle things back to normal, such as is possible.

Guildmaster’s Journal, 17th Galena 659

Spoiler: Well Fuck (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: You don’t say? (click to show/hide)

I was expecting a human caravan, but instead I got a human siege. Their leader is Genam Containedpriced, a human maceman. She rides a saltwater crocodile named Usa, and leads a squad of axemen. They will fucking regret laying siege to this fortress. I don’t intend to send troops out to fight them, rather, I will draw them into a trap of my own design, imprisoning them in this fortress until they either meet their ends in our arena....... (the handwriting changes here momentarily) OR IN SOME OTHER MANNER. Citizens of Demongate, do not despair!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 08:39:02 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: May 31, 2014, 07:40:10 am »

See, the thing is I want to ask to be dorfed as some weird dwarf with a book which is sort of a telepathic link from his deity, and it would look kind of silly if the deity isn't related to literacy in some way.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: May 31, 2014, 01:07:49 pm »

Brother Cornelius, looking a bit tipsy (as he usual is) was passing by magma kilns.

- Oh. Hallo there! You're making gypsum powder, right?
- Well... yes... - cautiously replied one of furnace workers
- Can I watch?
- Ehm... why?
- I'm just  curious how plaster powder is produced. I was using it for limb casts and suddenly got a though - how it's made from stone boulder? So. You take a boulder aaaand...?
- I... I take a boulder and... heat it in the owen.
- Aaaand...?
- And... burn it for about an hour at steady temperature...
- Aand...?
- And then... I mill it into powder. That's all.
- Really? Why are those chemicals for then?
- A... chemicals? We use them... for indication only. It helps to maintain temperature in the owen.
- Aha... got it. Can I watch?
- Well.. okay.

After hours of furnace work, during those Cornelius tried to keep up the chat and worker got more and more nervous, there were a few more bags of plaster powder and a half-full barrel of trashed chemicals

- Thank you very much for explanation and show. Now I know much more about gypsum. When you'll get into my hospital, you'll see how we use all this! Hehe, joking. Let me help you - grabbing refuse barrel - I'll take this to refuse pile.
- Oh... no, no! I mean... I usually empty it when it's full, and it's still half-empty.
- Oh, you're a pessimist? For me it's half-full!  :D Don't worry, dude, I'll take it. No need to thank.

Padre grabs the barrel, turns and walks away his usual dangling style, ignoring worker's protests and mumbling to himself. As he gets out of his sight, the mumbling cuts and the steps gets more straight
- Must say to Vlad, the plan is going on.
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1225 on: May 31, 2014, 01:34:48 pm »

See, the thing is I want to ask to be dorfed as some weird dwarf with a book which is sort of a telepathic link from his deity, and it would look kind of silly if the deity isn't related to literacy in some way.
I'm afraid we don't seem to have anything directly related to literacy. We do have one related to music and valor, but I think that's as close as we get.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: May 31, 2014, 02:17:41 pm »

I can give you an unnamed dwarf with a custom profession title, or a dwarf with no name or custom profession title.

I did a quick check, and it seems the only dwarves that worship a deity were those generated within the fortress, not those who were historical figures pulled out of the existing population. The only adult dwarves who worship deities are the starting seven. The only other dwarves who worship deities are the children born within the fortress.

Deities I have seen worshipped:
Rakas
Most often takes the form of a male dwarf.
Associated with trade and wealth.

Geb
Takes the form of a female dwarf.
Associated with war and fortresses.

èzum Salvebusts the Crystalline Oars
Most often takes the form of a male dwarf.
Is associated with crafts.
History of cursing dwarves with vampirism and turning them into werebeasts.

Doren Minecopper the Wall of Crystal
Takes the form of a female bobcat.
Associated with mountains.

Vudnis Caveheroes
Takes the form of a male dwarf.
Associated with fame and rumors.

Luskal Poemlathered the Taker of Matching
Takes the form of a male dwarf.
Associated with music and valor.

útost
Associated with jewels, minerals, and metals.

Thun Firstrule the Regal Mastery of Kings
Associated with rulership.

And that’s it.

I can establish some temples for these deities in the fortress, but that’s going to be a project of its own.

Helgarde’s Personal Journal, 19th Galena 659

Spoiler: Drastic measures (click to show/hide)

Following the siege, I took the Baron off the 1st Axe and promoted Lòr Istbarsigun to captain of the squad, since I need him to meet with the outpost liason. If he does not, we’re not going to get urgent supplies other than gypsum from the autumn caravan. Since the mayor was in really poor shape, I went through some of his papers - there’s a default option to ship gypsum here if no specific trade agreement is made, but nothing else. This could be really bad.

Because the lower caverns are now being invaded by a fire-breathing dinosaur, I need to reinforce the adamantine mine by paving over the surrounding water and putting down some grates. I had two of the masterwork beds installed in the rooms we carved out at the beginning of the year and ordered a mason’s shop built, along with a stockpile for phyllite. It is being put in a corridor since we don’t really have anywhere else to put it at the moment. Since the former mayor is a high master mason, I found a way to get her to process the phyllite into blocks right where we need it.

The Other Capitols have been researching some bizarre “magicks”, and I managed to get a hold of an unpublished tome called “Geass for Gypsumheads” before I arrived here at Demongate. Recently, with all the chaos and the magma forges starting up, I decided to read it and see whether there was any kind of useful information in there. Man, this stuff is deep. Suffice it to say the Geass puts the subject under a spell of compulsion for a yet-uncertain period of time, and I managed to put it on the former mayor to create a detox zone. I tweaked the spell to also cover the Baron, so he should be forced to stop storing his old military equipment. The zone covers the mayor’s chambers, the Baron’s chambers, the food stockpile, the dining hall, the furnaces, and the area around the adamantine mine with the required equipment to make phyllite blocks and furniture. I’ve put the “Geass Zone” onto the formal burrow list so nobody gets confused.

I also put down some restrictions on walking over tree saplings and forgotten beast webs, ordered a completion of the entrance paving in preparations for laying down cage traps, and am going to test out the aquifer for power generation.

Yes, we’re down to taking some drastic measures.

Helgarde’s Personal Journal, 24th Galena 659

Spoiler: Hell, its about time (click to show/hide)

After being hit by my Geass spell, the Baron went to his quarters to get changed. After the liason followed him in, I locked the door. He is conducting the meeting with the liason and not wearing much clothing at all.

The main body of Usu the forgotten beast got butchered. There is still the tail and head to go, but I think we’ve got a lot more meat and fat.

End of Summer Report by Helgarde, 28th Galena 659

The year rapidly draws to a close, even though half of it is left. It looks like the Baron is being promoted to a Count, which means more mandates to deal with. A pump is in construction in the flooded area where we removed the aquifer above the magma pipes, and I will experiment to see whether we can use it for power generation. We may be able to get 1200 or more urists of power out if it works.

Other highlights of the season involve being sieged for a second time by a small band of humans, fighting off a forgotten beast in the adamantine mine, the election of a new mayor, carving out an obsidian fabricator, digging out a new pumpstack, and getting the magma furnaces running.

Guildmaster’s Journal, 1st Limestone 659

Spoiler: What we’re ordering (click to show/hide)

Today the Baron finalised the order from the Mountainhomes.

Guildmaster’s Journal, 10th Limetone

I’ve confirmed we can induce a flow in a good portion of flooded terrain, which means we can generate power. Having taken a short break, we will commence mining work to convert this area into a power plant.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 11:16:55 pm by CaptainArchmage »

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: June 01, 2014, 03:25:11 am »

Oh my! Corrupt drug-cartels, inebriated shadow governments, production of sunshine, and now mind-control magick? This fort just keeps getting better and better.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: June 01, 2014, 08:20:48 am »

Oh my! Corrupt drug-cartels, inebriated shadow governments, production of sunshine, and now mind-control magick? This fort just keeps getting better and better.
This is some OP-worthy stuff right here.

danmanthedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: June 01, 2014, 08:26:04 am »

Hm now only I could find Usa's head then I could try to pry out the soul gem.... What you think snails-worth? * Cue little meep from the lizard snail.* Hm yes thagt sounds like a *HACK HACK* good plan, we just need to capture a animal from the caverns s it can help look for the head. I shall look for one well you go spy on Thane and Vlad.
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 172