Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 172

Author Topic: Demongate: Wrapping up the Loose Ends.  (Read 672887 times)

Senshuken

• Bay Watcher
  • Defend till the end.
    • View Profile
Re: Demongate: There Are No Heroes
« Reply #1230 on: June 01, 2014, 12:53:22 pm »

Meanwhile, Artyom is just sort of hanging around, doing nothing of any real worth or attention.... I don't think he is dead, since I'm pretty sure that would have been brought up; being a Founder and all.
Cause every silver lining has a cloud, and it won't be alright on the night; There's nothing at the end of the rainbow and there's a tunnel at the end of the light!

danmanthedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: June 01, 2014, 01:16:36 pm »

Meanwhile, Artyom is just sort of hanging around, doing nothing of any real worth or attention.... I don't think he is dead, since I'm pretty sure that would have been brought up; being a Founder and all.
Hes just rotting in the sun and all that covered in rat-slugs

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: June 01, 2014, 02:50:27 pm »

What exactly is a lizard snail?
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: June 01, 2014, 02:53:08 pm »

I like how immediately after seeing Vlad naked, the liaison promotes him.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: June 01, 2014, 03:41:55 pm »

I did an extended session today, taking us through to winter. I don’t think I was as productive as I could have been, but we got some interesting stuff done.

For some reason we got ANOTHER mayor.

End of Month Report by Helgarde, 28th Limestone 659

I expanded the aquifer excavation so we can fit a total of 12 waterwheels for 1200 Urists of power. The flow doesn’t seem to cease once it has begun, which means we do not need to keep the pump going. Unfortunately, we’ve run out of quartzite and bauxite, so I’ll have to lay down some mudstone grates. The good news is we have plenty of phyllite and mudstone blocks coming out of the shops.

Mining work is now switching over to channeling out the floor over the obsidian fabricator on the top level. This is risky since there is a lot of area and if the work is badly done, some of us could fall a long way down.

I had “Flame” forge a giant steel axe blade, ordered the remaining pearlash turned into clear glass windows, and tried to keep up gypsum and hive production as necessary. The siege is not moving and if it doesn’t go away or charge by the beginning of Timber, we may have to fight it outside. We did, however, manage to finish the cage traps.

Because of the arrival of another forgotten beast, a web-shooting lobster, I am rushing the fortification of the adamantine mines so we can resist another attack.

End of Month Report by Helgarde, 28th Sandstone 659

This month the Count finally finished his meeting with the outpost liason, who somehow made it out of the fortress alive, so his title is now formalised. The aquifer power plant is still waiting on grates, to be completed. The adamantine mine is fully fortified, which means we should not have to fear attack from the lake.

THIS JUST IN: Human squad is moving towards fortress. Everybody is being ordered inside and the siege operators have been called to action. Fire at will!

Guildmaster’s Journal, 14th Timber 659

The human invasion has been defeated and we now await the autumn caravan. None of the squad made it through the weapons traps, and the ballistae were completely ineffective, but two, including the leader dodged into the pit and were later caged in the existing line of traps. I didn’t see what happened to the saltwater crocodile. I sent out the 1st Axe and 1st Sword to chase down the survivors, but they fled. Oh well.

End of Autumn Report by CaptainArchmage, 28th Timber 659

Spoiler: Aftermath of the Siege (click to show/hide)

The season has been chaotic, too chaotic. It turned out that the crocodile Usa, not to be confused with the forgotten beast Usu, was killed on one of the weapon traps outside. I count about nine dead out of the squad, and maybe six fled after sustaining heavy injuries. Their leader survived without any injuries, and ended up in a cage, along with an axeman.

Having gotten rid of the siege, the caravan rolled in a vast number of wagons. It looks like my order was fulfilled! While they were unpacking, I decided to test out the drowning chamber, stuffed it with the two survivors from the human siege, one goblin who was trapped before I took over the fortress operation, and a goblin and a troll from the spring siege, and locked the hatch. After the citizens panicked seeing them through the windows, I laid down some pathing restrictions and had the chamber pumped full of water. I have drawn the aftermath.

Spoiler: The Trial (click to show/hide)

This is the fortified adamantine mine. There are plenty of grates which certain forgotten beasts could shoot through, but they are quite hard to destroy from underneath.

Spoiler: Aquifer Power Plant (click to show/hide)

The aquifer power plant still needs the second row of wheels completed, but when it is done it will produce 1200 Urists of power. That will be the project for the coming season.

Spoiler: Trading (click to show/hide)

We finished one round of trading so far, selling off the glass trap components for all the metal bars, a large amount of gems, all the caravan’s food, and some thread. They brought most of the items I requested, particularly the heavy stone and ore. The trap components carried a much higher price with the merchants because of our trade agreement. Unfortunately, we skilled over negotiating a specific import agreement for next year because of the chaos, but that is OK. I’m sure they will bring the right items along.

Spoiler: Yes, this dwarf (click to show/hide)

During the chaos, the Comedian’s husband - yes, the glassmaker who arrived here on 22nd Malachite - got possessed by some otherworldly being and took over one of the magma glass furnaces. He made this green glass window called “Fatgangs” commemorating the 290th anniversary of our victory over the Bloodkin at Visegilt.

For some reason, the mayor got replaced AGAIN. For some reason èrith Boardcloisters didn’t survive more than one season, and got kicked out of office. The new mayor is also married to the hammerer. The first thing he did was mandate was the construction of three ballista arrows, which have just been proven to be completely ineffective.

Our wealth and population continues to grow. We currently have 179 dwarves, 134 untrained animals, 8 trained animals, 2,804,365☼ created wealth, and 3064 unit of drinks.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 05:24:55 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: June 01, 2014, 09:09:00 pm »

With our current created and exported wealth, we should be a duchy by the next liaison's visit. Consequently, that means that Vlad will be the duke.
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

danmanthedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: June 02, 2014, 07:32:44 am »

What exactly is a lizard snail?
Well it's a lizard that lives in a snails shell and produces slime to lube it up to get into the shell.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: June 02, 2014, 01:53:23 pm »

With our current created and exported wealth, we should be a duchy by the next liaison's visit. Consequently, that means that Vlad will be the duke.

3 mandates.
Ouch.

EDIT: Is there something we can do to encourage Thane and Vlad to finally get married?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 02:00:46 pm by MDFification »

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: June 02, 2014, 02:03:56 pm »

3 mandates.
Ouch.

EDIT: Is there something we can do to encourage Thane and Vlad to finally get married?
Lock them in a room together with a private well and a year's-worth of food, wait, and—as you would say—PROFIT!

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: June 02, 2014, 03:42:29 pm »

3 mandates.
Ouch.

The good news is Thane is 86 and Vlad is 78, so there is less than a 10 year difference in age between them. This won’t be affected by bugs.

I believe they need to be inactive in order to get married, which means neither should not be on any military squads and Vlad needs to finish up his meeting with the new Liason. I will try to get that one done, I should post the year up later today.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: June 02, 2014, 03:44:37 pm »

3 mandates.
Ouch.

The good news is Thane is 86 and Vlad is 78, so there is less than a 10 year difference in age between them. This won’t be affected by bugs.

I believe they need to be inactive in order to get married, which means neither should not be on any military squads and Vlad needs to finish up his meeting with the new Liason. I will try to get that one done, I should post the year up later today.
Captain, why are you explaining game-mechanics when you should be finishing your turn!

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: June 02, 2014, 04:43:20 pm »

You don't need to take them off the squads (and shouldn't since they have subordinates) - you can just make sure no barracks are designated for that squad to train it to get a militia member idle.
EDIT: 4 months to go, let's get this on with. Excuse my impatience, I want that precious save before I'm off the internet for 2 straight months.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 04:49:18 pm by MDFification »

danmanthedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: June 02, 2014, 05:20:07 pm »

Come on my snail lizards are dieing of old age people lets move this along!

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: June 02, 2014, 06:17:37 pm »

Alright, lots of material and lore here. Just two months left.

Guildmaster’s Trading Report, 8th Moonstone 659

Spoiler: Got Gypsum? (click to show/hide)

I’ve finally traded for the Gypsum, and actually just about everything else the caravan brought - stone blocks, boulders, gems, metal bars, lye, anvils, food, milk, dye, cloth, and a few barrels of bobcat blood. Hey, it might come in useful. Most of the items we traded were old pieces of clothing that still had a lot of value and clothing items left behind by sieges, followed by trade goods we happened to have lying around, and finally a healthy supply of green glass tubes and trap components. I have ensured none of the items traded away were hammers or quivers, since those have export bans on them.

Guildmaster’s Journal, 14th Moonstone 659

Spoiler: Snow! (click to show/hide)

We’ve just come out of a four-day snowstorm. I am very glad to be working underground, and not aboveground constructing Castle Helgarde. With our main stone blocks now being made of Phyllite and Mudstone, I decided to continue construction without them. As we have enough blocks, I released Besmar Forbes from the Geass, and he promptly went to work building the castle. We had to reinforce the foundations of the tower, so she went outside. Now, meanwhile I am working on removing floor above a huge drop, the ex-mayor just has to lay down some foundations. What could possibly go wrong?

This is what happened. I don’t know whether she was still under the influence of gypsum or the snowstorm got her lost, but the ex-mayor somehow walled herself into the foundations, and I now have to get her out somehow.

Spoiler: New Food Stockpile! (click to show/hide)

Because the main food stockpile seemed full up, I designated another in the empty room directly across the Baron’s dining room. The room will also be smoothed up, which is good. This could save us some walking.

After learning that petrified wood is magma-safe, I had it put in this stockpile. It will make for some bright red levers for critical functions in the fort. The massive amount of leather we purchased is now filling up our stockpiles and I don’t think we will need more for a while now.

Helgarde’s Personal Journal, 14th Moonstone, 659

Damn. I didn’t sleep well last night, there was a lot of noise coming from next door. That place is entirely the same as the one I am living in. I’m sure it isn’t the food stockpile being filled, because that’s further away and the dwarves dealing with that are really careful. I’m also sure it isn’t the Scribes of St. Zane, because they’re never this loud. If this keeps up I’m going to have trouble sleeping. I’ll put a word in with the mayor about it tomorrow when I’m done with my shift.

Helgarde meets with B.A.L.L.S. the Hammerer, 15th Moonstone 659

The mayor’s office was as Helgarde remembered it, before the beginning of the year. It had been hewn out of an immense gypsum cluster, crossed by a vein of lignite and with a small patch of clear tourmalines beneath the throne. It had two murals, “The Strapping Whiskers” depicting the striking down of the human Enthep Binssubmerges by the bronze colossus Saba Boltsbore the Shock of Direction in The Steppes of Meditation. The furniture was the same with a dirty tin table and throne, and the silver coffer, armor stand, and weapon rack behind the throne. The same statues lined the walls, with the obligatory commemoration fo the foundation of the fortress nearly seven years before exceptionally rendered in in mudstone by Reg Udalåth, a rendition of a sheep in orthoclase by Logem Murakdodók, a granite statue of a snail by B.A.L.L.S., a quartzite statue of many snails by Logem, a slightly better image of dwarves also by Logem, and a statue of B.A.L.L.S. herself in-

B.A.L.L.S. turned around to face Helgarde, revealing her rendition of a llama in granite behind her, and clumsily walked towards him, placed one foot upon the mayorial throne and resting upon the table. Both groaned under her immense weight - not the weight of dwarven fat and muscle, but rather of muscle and enchanted metal and stone."

Is the mayor in?

B.A.L.L.S. stared back for about half a minute. Unsure of whether to refer to Lolor Boltscrows as her “husband” or her “charge” Helgarde chose to call upon his power of office instead.

He’s gone drinking. He will be back in a few days, by the 20th.

Alright, I will come back in then.

It is about some..... noises I have been hearing. Have you heard anything unusual recently?

I don’t mean filling up the new food stockpile or smoothing it up, it isn’t that. It isn’t the Scribes of St. Zane either. Scraping noises in the night. Have you heard them?

There is a new ghost around town. An Axedwarf. You should put it away if it annoys you.

Helgarde felt taken aback. B.A.L.L.S. was not entirely a dwarf, but there was something unexpected and alien for her to refer to the ghostly axedwarf Mistêm Sackbends as an object.

It doesn’t sound like a ghost........ and I think he’s a person too, not an.... “it”.

......... maybe you should check for yourself then.

Fine. I’ll check the place on my way to work then. Goodbye.

Helgarde absconded the room, passing the Baron’s throne room. From within he heard the familiar sounds of sparring between ‘Tarmid' Seedwhips and ‘Lokast’ Foldtomb - the clip of metal crossbows against one another. Something was going on here. He ran through a crowd of dwarves carrying various pots of dwarven beer into the food stockpile, then backtracked to the empty abode, trying the knob on the door before heading down the stairs towards the obsidian fabricator.

Guildmaster’s Journal, 15th Moonstone 659

Today the merchants started packing up. It will probably take a long time for them to pack up, but they should hopefully be gone soon so I can seal up the trade depot again. As it is there is too much traffic in or out to safely raise either drawbridge.

We have a new ghostly resident! Mistêm Fathmat used to be an Axedwarf, but perished without being memorialised. He’s quite restless but doesn’t really cause any trouble around here. I think I’ll leave him unmemorialised just so we have some more characters around here.

Helgarde’s Personal Journal, 15th Moonstone, 659

I went to see the mayor today in the “morning", but found B.A.L.L.S. in there. The mayor’s going to be out getting drunk and doing bureaucracy until the 20th, so I’ll have to wait until then. B.A.L.L.S. doesn’t seem to have noticed anything out of the ordinary, though she doesn’t seem to do well with ghosts. I don’t know why, it isn’t like they cause a nuisance or anything around here.

She did suggest I take a look at the place, and there was a fair bit of noise in there last night, like pots and barrels being scraped along the floor, so I tried the door on my way to the obsidian fabricator excavations. It was firmly locked, and was also locked on my way back, so I guess I’ll have to find someone with the key. It is probably in the Guildhouse or with the Mayor because those are the places you go to get lodging or supplies. There isn’t any fuss in there right now so I’ll finish up my ☼Horse Tallow Biscuit☼ and turn in to a good night’s sleep.

Helgarde’s Personal Journal, 16th Moonstone, 659

Last night I had a good night’s sleep, and woke up to look for that key. After checking through the Mining Guild’s keys I couldn’t find it, but on my way to the excavations I did bump into the mayor, who was heading off to get drunk. He was kind enough to check through the list of keys, and it turns out that some keys weren’t transferred over from èrith, and still more are still with Besmar Forbes. Guess who had the key, and is currently stuck behind a fucking wall.

Guildmaster’s Journal, 17th Moonstone, 659

Spoiler: Finally! (click to show/hide)

Today, Besmar Forbes finally got out of her predicament and is heading off to design one of the pumps that will pump magma up to the aquifer bypass. Why do I have a very bad feeling about this?

I also have to get the foundations fixed again. Hopefully the next dwarf to get there won’t wall themselves in like a fucking moron.

Helgarde’s Journal, 17th Moonstone 659

Since Besmar Forbes got out, I haven’t been able to ask her about the key, because she’s busy moving items to build the magma pump. The door to the place is still locked but there’s a serious racket going on inside there, like someone is engraving the inside, and my bedroom is resonating like the inside of a fucking fiddle.

Helgarde’s Journal, 18th Moonstone 659

What a night. The noise didn’t stop and is still going on. Whoever is doing that needs a meeting with B.A.L.L.S. in her formal capacity as hammerer because it is getting ridiculous. I couldn’t find Besmar Forbes either, she’s probably doing gypsum inside the new pumpstack whilst designing a complete fucking disaster.

Guildmaster’s Journal, 19th Moonstone 659

I have two pieces of good news for the fortress! Firstly, the Outpost Liason finished meeting with the Baron, so I am releasing him from his Geass.

Secondly, the mason Bomrek Cunstructworked managed to finish the foundations without walling himself in! We can now continue building Castle Helgarde.

Helgarde’s Journal, 19th Moonstone 659

My bedroom still sounds like the interior of a fiddle, and to top it all I’ve been told by the haulers some pots have gone missing from the stockpile next to the furnaces. Luckily I put in an order for clay pots a few days ago. I’ll have to investigate further. I’m going to even try sleeping here tonight, I’ll put in a night shift at the fabricator.

Helgarde’s Journal, 22nd Moonstone 659

After the  better part of a week of my bedroom being rocked by the mysterious engraving works, the noise finally stopped. Peace and quiet, at last!

Except someone just told me some fucking soap and a bed have been pinched. It happened, as usual, when nobody was around.

End of Month Report by Helgarde, 28th Moonstone 659

Spoiler: Smoothed Deep Quarters (click to show/hide)

We’ve had a good month, and fulfilled the ballista bolt mandate. Besmar Forbes even finished the magma pumps without anything breaking! No promotion has been given to elevate us to a duchy just yet, but I’m expecting that to happen next year. The deep quarters have been smoothed up. I am now waiting on furniture to be finished for these. This is right above the fortified adamantine mine.

It took a surprisingly long time to get started, but the new food stockpile was finally finished.

The aquifer power plant is now fully functional and generating 1200 urists of power!

Spoiler: Coin Minting (click to show/hide)

I decided to have some coins minted last month, and we’re still waiting on the metal crafters to finish them.

We're getting the coal and gypsum stockpile smoothed up! Here’s to a productive last two months of the year!
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 10:29:11 pm by CaptainArchmage »

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: June 02, 2014, 06:18:42 pm »

I suddenly realized I haven't asked for next turn.

Please put me into the list for next turn please.

Now I did that.
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 172