Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 172

Author Topic: Demongate: Wrapping up the Loose Ends.  (Read 665359 times)

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Demongate: There Are No Heroes
« Reply #1260 on: June 04, 2014, 09:46:58 pm »

Corley's Journal
Leaving
--
I was honestly going to seek out and find the ruler of this fort after I left my cell, but I now have second thoughts. After all these years, whatever connection there ever was amongst the three of us has now eroded into nothing. I have no further need of Shank or Asmoth; I have my army and my plans. I see no use in dragging either of them into things, for it would be better to seek out allies and benefactors that will be easy to wrestle control from. Perhaps I'll cross paths with one of the others someday, or maybe I'll just find that Thikut's after me; either way would be a nice reunion, if only for a moment.

I've ordered all operations relating to my fortress and the Ascension Project moved to the New World. My work can be clandestinely accomplished in Demongate, close to Sedilkosoth. My ambassadors will seek out my candidates, hopefully resulting in some temporary alliances. Only the strongest will be able to secure the fortress, and they must therefore become as strong as possible.

Surreptitious activity may prove difficult as the fortress grows and develops, but I have confidence that I'll be able to handle whatever might come up. If it's anything like it was during my last visit, there are plenty of stupid dwarves willing to do my bidding.
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: June 05, 2014, 11:47:21 am »

The horn sounds. I stir from the dream.
I don't want to leave the dream. It's peaceful here. There's nothing to prompt me to ask questions. Questions such as 'who am I'. The oblivion I find here is soothing. When outside the dream, I have to come to terms with my soul. How much of it is really me anymore? When you force other souls out of their bodies, it's easy to let things... mingle. I found that out my first possession; the body always, always retains some trace of the mind of its former inhabitant. And when it dies, you carry that remnant with you.
He summons me. I've almost given up wondering what it is he's planning. But I can remember that urge to know, to understand, to manipulate and control from my own life and many of the lives I've used. I'm frightened to lose that. I've lost so much of my being already.
As I'm pulled from the dream, feeling floods back into me. My emotions - where did they come from? - revolt with the reintroduction to his realm. I see a figure polishing the floor, and instinctively recoil in disgust. Why? Who was that?
Oh. I remember now.  I never met this person, though I knew him by reputation. He resembles his vile son, though his evil was... different. And he was fortunate enough to be given an opportunity to seek penance. He's almost done the hall, now. I wonder if the others will forgive him?
I'll never know. The others don't speak to me. They seem... sad, when they look at me. I knew them once; they're probably aghast that I've deteriorated so. They're still whole. I don't see them here now; probably they're further, in the next life proper.
He calls. My name... I think that was my name. Yes, I remember now. I was called that. I turn and go to him. He should not be kept waiting.
I am his herald. I bring to the world his will, in words or deed. I didn't understand, once, but I'm merely a weapon in his war. If I were still myself,  I might resent that. How fortunate that I'm not.

I see he's picked out a victim. So I'll be killing again. This one's a woman, though not of my race, not any more. I... remember her. I hated her once. Why?
She sits atop a throne made of jet-black obsidian. It's well-made, but not gaudy. This one doesn't need to impress others with wealth. The fortress here is vast, crawling with the creatures this one rules. The land here was different, once. How could it have changed so quickly?
Where's her husband? Her servant. I remember him. That filthy bastard betrayed... no, it wasn't me. That was... my disciple? Follower? He was loyal to this fell Queen to the last. His devotion bordered on most inappropriate aspirations, I think.
Maybe she tired of him. In any case, he won't see her again. I reach through the void, and withdraw my crossbow. Eons of work went into this weapon. I think I made it, long ago. The mechanisms, the adamantine... looks familiar. And the device in the center... that was mine. I know it. I hardly need it now, but it should serve to keep this out of the wrong hands.
I place Queen Brasswords in my sights and squeeze the trigger. There's no sound beyond the click of the mechanism. She falls forward and crumbles to dust. No soul leaves her body - I would be able to see that. His will is done.
I pull out my knife, and carve the symbol into the throne. They need to know who did this. They need to know that vengeance comes. The Hammer and the Pick. I hope they still remember it. It's been so long.

I exit the world again. My task is not over. Who knows if it will ever be over. That is the price I pay. But seeing one of them destroyed for good... there's not a part of me that isn't satisfied with that.
I draw closer and closer to avenging myself.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: June 05, 2014, 11:55:59 am »

Oh dear.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: June 05, 2014, 11:59:44 am »

Oh dear.

Just here to give you your daily dose of 'Steelhold was really, really fucked up'. Don't expect any vengeful, transgendered murderghosts to be in any way relevant. That sort of thing only happens to vaguely-described background characters.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 12:03:51 pm by MDFification »

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: June 05, 2014, 12:16:20 pm »

Oh dear.

Just here to give you your daily dose of 'Steelhold was really, really fucked up'. Don't expect any vengeful, transgendered murderghosts to be in any way relevant. That sort of thing only happens to vaguely-described background characters.
Boy! that's a relief.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: June 05, 2014, 12:30:46 pm »

Oh dear.

Boy! that's a relief.
The fact that our characters have legitimate cause to fear a gender-confused, undiagnosable mentally ill ghost assigned to kill them by an uncaring god of blood will never cease to be hilarious.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: June 05, 2014, 12:40:31 pm »

Oh dear.

Boy! that's a relief.
The fact that our characters have legitimate cause to fear a gender-confused, undiagnosable mentally ill ghost assigned to kill them by an uncaring god of blood will never cease to be hilarious.
Indeed, but we currently have more pressing matters at hand.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: June 05, 2014, 12:48:57 pm »

Oh dear.

Boy! that's a relief.

Such as building a quote pyramid, or waiting for Archmage to finish his turn?

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: June 05, 2014, 12:51:59 pm »

Oh dear.

Boy! that's a relief.

The latter, I'm afraid. I find it suspicious that he has disappeared after getting halfway through winter, which is too late to pass the file or to void the turn. I suspect that he has orchestrated this scenario on purpose, and has taken a vacation to the Bahamas.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: June 05, 2014, 12:58:12 pm »

Oh dear.

Boy! that's a relief.

The latter, I'm afraid. I find it suspicious that he has disappeared after getting halfway through winter, which is too late to pass the file or to void the turn. I suspect that he has orchestrated this scenario on purpose, and has taken a vacation to the Bahamas.
Perhaps he's actually taking his exams seriously.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: June 05, 2014, 01:07:19 pm »

Oh dear.

Boy! that's a relief.

You're probably correct.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: June 05, 2014, 02:35:50 pm »

Oh dear.

Boy! that's a relief.

You're probably correct.
Let us flail wildly until he returns.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: June 05, 2014, 02:53:14 pm »

Oh dear.

Boy! that's a relief.

You're probably correct.
No time to flail. I'm erecting a quote pyramid fit for a pharoh.

danmanthedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: June 05, 2014, 03:03:59 pm »

Oh dear.

Boy! that's a relief.

You're probably correct.
So many quotes but yeah so if we ever lose the fort we should use masterwork because we can do a 4 to 5 dwarf Armageddon fort!.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: June 05, 2014, 04:01:50 pm »

Oh dear.

Boy! that's a relief.

You're probably correct.
So many quotes but yeah so if we ever lose the fort we should use masterwork because we can do a 4 to 5 dwarf Armageddon fort!.
Blasphemy! Masterwork is an overstuffed, incredibly standardized fantasy game piggy-backing on Toady's great Dwarf Fortress!
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 172