Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 172

Author Topic: Demongate: Wrapping up the Loose Ends.  (Read 670890 times)

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
Re: Demongate: There Are No Heroes
« Reply #1290 on: June 05, 2014, 09:41:39 pm »

... the First Hellguard?
Are ya messing with my militia organization structure?

Just additions to the militia, not changes to the existing squads.

End of Month Report, 28th Opal, 659

After the sunshine lab got busted, there haven’t been any disturbances but people are more actively avoiding the place. The still was rendered inoperable by Talonis Wolf, but it was not dismantled.

This month we got the power conduit dug. This section goes through the bauxite, and then up and over the aquifer.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This section is the above-aquifer conduit run out of the aquifer power plant. The magma pimpstack to the surface is also shown.

Now, I will definitely be standing down at the end of the year. I have secured the fortress against most threats, but the task of leading the entire fortress needs to go to someone else, since in the new year, I will be pushing further expansion of our mining operations.

Alright, I’m done. Save upcoming. I will write up the report tomorrow though.

Summary:
-> Mining Guild HQ mostly dealt with. There’s room for miners in there, two rooms assigned. The well is functional and there’s a pump to get water from the cavern lake without nasty forgotten beasts getting in.
-> Magma connected up to aquifer bypass pumpstacks. You can now pump to the surface when one of the pumps is finished, and you remove the floor hatch blocking the intake. Make sure you can switch off the pumps from the power though first, I have two levers for that. If only the intake is switched off, the pump will still spew out the magma contained within the system.
-> System power use is 1266 power. When the water wheels freeze in winter, there will be a power shortfall of 66 units. You can make this up with windmills, build another aquifer power plant, or disconnect the surface wheels.
-> We lost one dwarf and some animal to old age right at the new year.
-> The forgotten beast with fire can still shoot through grates in the adamantine mine, it just can’t get in.
-> The adamantine mine isn’t fortified against the HFS.
-> Levers and gates are labeled.
-> Most levers are now in the statuary, where they will get pulled almost immediately.

SAVE: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=8616
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 11:13:47 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: June 05, 2014, 11:46:11 pm »

From the looks of things, the dwarves could use some new clothes. The next overseer will have to make the clothing-industry a top priority.
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: June 06, 2014, 07:23:05 am »

Thane dashed  forwards, swinging her hammer in an arc that would have knocked her opponent into a bone shattered unconsciousness if it had connected. Instead, there was a crunch of wood on wood as Vladamir's shield turned the blow aside, his training axe already rising in a counterstroke. She felt the wind above her neck as she ducked, jabbing the head of her hammer into Vlad's ribs as she straightened up. Vlad doubled over, then dived into her as she backed away, knocking them both to the ground. Training axe and hammer went flying, but Thane felt the point of a very real dagger against her throat.
"Yield," Vlad suggested.
"Perhaps we should call it a draw instead?" Thane suggested.
"Look down, girlie," Vlad snorted.
Thane grinned. "Look further down, eunuch," she said. Vladamir looked, saw where Thane's knife was aimed and nodded silently.
"A good fight," he said.
"They found out who was contaminating the sunshine production," Thane said as they found their feet.
"Perhaps, but ve all know Gnora is the ringkleader," Vlad shrugged.
"They were working out of the rooms I had dug for the baron. If you'd just moved into them-"
"There are hundreds of other places they could have found to work, you should be thankful they were choosink somewhere so stupid, yes? Besides, what kind of crazy dwarf is needink three rooms to live in?"
Thane shrugged. "I don't know, it's just what nobles do."
"Vell, I will not. Is stupid for Vlad to have three rooms he never uses anyway when dwarves are havink nowhere to sleep."
"It impresses the liaisons. They might give better trade deals if they saw that we can waste so many supplies just to keep one person happy," Thane pointed out.
"Bah, liaison wants for us to get married as well. 'Is not fitting for nobility to be sleepink in same place as unmarried woman,' they are sayink," Vlad spat.
"Would it really be that bad?" asked Thane.
"Marriage? Perhaps not. But I will not do it just because some upjumped ambush bait thinks we should."
Thane nodded. "Another round?"
"I don't know, I'm kind of-" Vlad began, then swung his axe at her knees. Thane jumped, laughing wildly.

A small lizard wearing a snail shell watched the scene silently. So intently, in fact, that it didn't notice the cat behind it. Perhaps its reptilian mind would take some pleasure in the knowledge that Thane would sprain her ankle the next morning because the cat left its remains outside her door.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: June 06, 2014, 07:31:27 am »

Yeah, morale's starting to dip again, we've got a few dwarves slipping down into 'fine'. Possiby also Vlad, since apparently he's utterly traumatized by Helgarde having nicer digs than him. He needs to get put back on duty then locked in a room with Thane for that 9-montly happiness boost.
Most common complaints are lack of clothing and being haunted by the dead, so getting those 3 ghosts memorialized also should be a thing that happens.

Your gameplay recommendations:
-Construct that magma cannon you've always wanted; make a bridge that's muddied and grows cave moss to allow fire to spread across the brook, turning it into an omnidirectional, omnicidal machine.
-Capture that flame-spewing forgotten beast. It can be put to good use.
-Merge the competent archers from the 1st Hellguard into the pre-existing squads, keep the Hellguard as a training squad. Rename 3rd Crossbow?
-Seperate macedwarves into their own squad. Get more trainee hammerdwarves and macedwarves.
-Install dwarven bathtubs to prevent syndrome spread.
-Somebody do something about that Slade Fortress. We'll need to clear it out eventually. It'll be a hefty challenge.
-The, ah, secret bunker is actually blocked off by tree growth, so if it's ever required for use, we can't. Recommendation; open it, cut down the trees, build floors all the way into the bunker, then re-seal it for emergency use only.
-We need a lot more bedrooms. Engraving of the bedrooms should start, to boost morale.

FPS Improvements:
-The pumpstack appears to have been left on all year. If we're not pumping out of the reservoir, it can be turned off.
-A lot of stuff is ready to be smashed, and should be smashed. There are still usable materials in the path of the smasher, though - please reclaim those.
-A large amount of surplus power also drains the framerate; we should build a big network of gears we can turn on when we're not consuming power to burn off the excess into motion.
-Don't engrave, or dig, anything you don't absolutely have too. That drops the framerate permanently. Smoothing doesn't though, and neither does using the Obsidian Farm Archmage so kindly dug out for us.

EDIT: Vlad can't get put back in the militia due to his noble status apparently. Goddamnit, Archmage.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 09:31:06 am by MDFification »

danmanthedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: June 06, 2014, 08:16:46 am »

Damm cat killing my spy... Oh well I did catch a bog crawler and a cave spider. *Taking out the soul gem* "LISTEN CREATURES OF SMALL I AM YOUR MASTER AND YOU WILL FOLLOW MY COMMANDS TO YOUR DEATH!" *A pale blue gas coming from the gem slowing surronds the pests.* "SPIE ON MY ENEMYS AND FIND THEIR WEAKNESS SO SAYS YOUR MASTER! Now go spie on thane from the ceilings and in their rooms!" *Both pests slowly make their leaves.* Hah hah I need to find the magic users fast *Hack Hack * this gem is draing me to fast.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 01:05:33 pm by danmanthedog »

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: June 06, 2014, 08:18:57 am »

Damm cat killing my spie... Oh well I did catch a bog crawler and a cave spider. *Taking out the soul gem* "LISTEN CREATURES OF SMALL I AM YOUR MASTER AND YOU WILL FOLLOW MY COMMANDS TO YOUR DEATH!" *A pale blue gas coming from the gem slowing surronds the pests.* "SPIE ON MY ENEMYS AND FIND THEIR WEAKNESS SO SAYS YOUR MASTER! Now go spie on thane from the ceilings and in their rooms!" *Both pests slowly make their leaves.* Hah hah I need to find the magic users fast *Hack Hack * this game is draing me to fast.
>mfw Dantheman is the only magic user in the fort.

EDIT: Has someone PM'd Spear? Is he even still active?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 08:23:04 am by MDFification »

danmanthedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: June 06, 2014, 08:39:19 am »

Damm cat killing my spie... Oh well I did catch a bog crawler and a cave spider. *Taking out the soul gem* "LISTEN CREATURES OF SMALL I AM YOUR MASTER AND YOU WILL FOLLOW MY COMMANDS TO YOUR DEATH!" *A pale blue gas coming from the gem slowing surronds the pests.* "SPIE ON MY ENEMYS AND FIND THEIR WEAKNESS SO SAYS YOUR MASTER! Now go spie on thane from the ceilings and in their rooms!" *Both pests slowly make their leaves.* Hah hah I need to find the magic users fast *Hack Hack * this game is draing me to fast.

Yeah but i'm using shamam magic and at least im not a drug trafficker like some people in this fort. Also we went from defending the dwarfern way from bloodkin to dealing with drugs and lizard snails... I got to say its a good fort.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: June 06, 2014, 11:27:11 am »

Shaman magic!
- Fueled by harnessing the souls of creatures older than the world itself.
- Main use so far is to enslave the minds of small animals to spy on a woman.
- Morally better than other forms of magic(?)

Oh yeah. I'll get right on that. My bad.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: June 06, 2014, 11:33:04 am »

He hasn't been active since April. Try PMing him anyway.

danmanthedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: June 06, 2014, 12:00:09 pm »

Meant to say this gem is draining me to fast not game.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: June 06, 2014, 12:09:06 pm »

PM sent. If Spear doesn't come back to us in 24 hours, bad things will happen. I'm not sure exactly what, wrath or his turn getting skipped probably.

Also, I will update the plot post again this weekend, and get the character statuses and such up to date.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: June 06, 2014, 12:17:25 pm »

WELP I'd better get myself familiar with the fortress just in case.

EDIT: *looks at save* A dude died of old age? HERESY!
DOUBLEEDIT: Upon further review, it looks like she was a crazy cat lady. She had 7 pets: a goose and 6 cats. Her husband was dead before arriving at the fort. She had no friends, so no one will miss her.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 12:41:29 pm by TheFlame52 »

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: June 06, 2014, 12:41:58 pm »

I'd say it's going to be our friendly neighborhood daemon taking the next turn. Try not to break anything or get anyone killed.
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: June 06, 2014, 12:47:23 pm »

And after his (hopefully swifter) turn, the armorsmith-now-planter who burned spiders takes control.
I'll keep the fires to a minimum, unless giant cave spiders become involved somehow.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: June 06, 2014, 01:21:07 pm »

I blacked out and when I came too I had played until early autumn.
... if I finish the year (including writeup) before Spear's grace period expires, can I just sort of insert it into the turn list?
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 172