Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 172

Author Topic: Demongate: Wrapping up the Loose Ends.  (Read 673400 times)

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Demongate: There Are No Heroes
« Reply #1305 on: June 06, 2014, 01:25:04 pm »

I blacked out and when I came too I had played until early autumn.
... if I finish the year (including writeup) before Spear's grace period expires, can I just sort of insert it into the turn list?
I don't think that would be very fair to the newer players.
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: June 06, 2014, 01:36:01 pm »

... if I finish the year (including writeup) before Spear's grace period expires, can I just sort of insert it into the turn list?
I'm not quite sure how though. They'd be starting the turn at the same time they would otherwise.
... except there'd also be an (actually) deadly dust spewing forgotten beast blocking access to the caverns. Kind of a bummer.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: June 06, 2014, 02:16:57 pm »

I've begun playing. Tell me if or when you want me to start posting updates.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: June 06, 2014, 02:34:25 pm »

I'm not quite sure how though. They'd be starting the turn at the same time they would otherwise.
... except there'd also be an (actually) deadly dust spewing forgotten beast blocking access to the caverns. Kind of a bummer.
I just think that the new players should get a chance before anyone gets another go, especially when you announce this at such short notice.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: June 06, 2014, 05:15:32 pm »

Flame, you might as well start posting updates. If Spear arrives within the time he has left, we can just say you're delusional.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: June 06, 2014, 05:39:36 pm »

I think we ought to change the subtitle of the thread, as it relates to a particular event that isn't particularly relevant at the current time.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: June 06, 2014, 08:03:25 pm »

Yeah, morale's starting to dip again, we've got a few dwarves slipping down into 'fine'. Possiby also Vlad, since apparently he's utterly traumatized by Helgarde having nicer digs than him. He needs to get put back on duty then locked in a room with Thane for that 9-montly happiness boost.
Most common complaints are lack of clothing and being haunted by the dead, so getting those 3 ghosts memorialized also should be a thing that happens.

Your gameplay recommendations:
-Construct that magma cannon you've always wanted; make a bridge that's muddied and grows cave moss to allow fire to spread across the brook, turning it into an omnidirectional, omnicidal machine.
-Capture that flame-spewing forgotten beast. It can be put to good use.
-Merge the competent archers from the 1st Hellguard into the pre-existing squads, keep the Hellguard as a training squad. Rename 3rd Crossbow?
-Seperate macedwarves into their own squad. Get more trainee hammerdwarves and macedwarves.
-Install dwarven bathtubs to prevent syndrome spread.
-Somebody do something about that Slade Fortress. We'll need to clear it out eventually. It'll be a hefty challenge.
-The, ah, secret bunker is actually blocked off by tree growth, so if it's ever required for use, we can't. Recommendation; open it, cut down the trees, build floors all the way into the bunker, then re-seal it for emergency use only.
-We need a lot more bedrooms. Engraving of the bedrooms should start, to boost morale.

FPS Improvements:
-The pumpstack appears to have been left on all year. If we're not pumping out of the reservoir, it can be turned off.
-A lot of stuff is ready to be smashed, and should be smashed. There are still usable materials in the path of the smasher, though - please reclaim those.
-A large amount of surplus power also drains the framerate; we should build a big network of gears we can turn on when we're not consuming power to burn off the excess into motion.
-Don't engrave, or dig, anything you don't absolutely have too. That drops the framerate permanently. Smoothing doesn't though, and neither does using the Obsidian Farm Archmage so kindly dug out for us.

EDIT: Vlad can't get put back in the militia due to his noble status apparently. Goddamnit, Archmage.

In Moltenchannels, I was able to make nobles such as the king anything other than militia commanders. You can put Vlad onto the #2 spot on a squad for example.

If you want to save FPS, turn off temperature. You can turn temperature on when doing magma-related works, or during attacks by flame-shooting forgotten beasts.

Wait, did you pass out in front of the computer or something whilst letting Dwarf Fortress play? Lets just say your dwarf was running the fortress in a gypsum-and-sunshine-induced stupor, got into trouble, and have the NEXT guy on the list finish off your turn from autumn. Then pass the save to Spear. It sounds like it could work.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 08:09:39 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: June 06, 2014, 10:54:57 pm »

I just think that the new players should get a chance before anyone gets another go, especially when you announce this at such short notice.

Fair 'nough. I don't see it that way - I think that they should get their turn, but if the turn wasn't being taken and a years worth of play got added to the save, they didn't loose anything; they still got to play when they would have played instead of being forced to wait while another player took a second, the fortress just grew by a year more than it already would have.
Whatever mate. Redundant point as Flame already started and I wouldn't want to make him loose his progress, or Spear's going to show up again and his grace period is still his grace period.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
Re: Demongate: Petitioning for Legalisation of Gypsum Continues.
« Reply #1313 on: June 07, 2014, 06:27:12 pm »

Sorry for doubleposting, but has Spear miraculously logged in and PM'd you Asmoth?

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: June 07, 2014, 10:07:50 pm »

Nope, Flame's good to go.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: June 07, 2014, 10:12:04 pm »

Nope, Flame's good to go.

Huzzah!
Here's hoping his turn works out better than the year I just played did...

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: June 08, 2014, 08:02:28 am »

Alright my fellow dwarves! By some strange twist of fate, I have become your overseer for this year. Don't ask, I don't know either. The first order of business will be cleanup. I've ordered the dumping of goblin, troll, and human corpses, goblin, troll, and human body parts, all stray bone crossbow bolts, elven wooden weapons, all clothes too big or small for dwarves, and vermin remains. I've also ordered the melting down of all stray metal bolts, goblin and human arms and armor, and miscellaneous toys and instruments not produced here. And why in the underworld are there barrels of beer and metal bars in the dump zone?

We will also be slaughtering all adult cats in the fortress because we all hate tripping on them. I also see that a woodcrafter named Cog has claimed a workshop and is currently making something out of alder. It's too early to tell what it is.

I will be expanding the food stockpile west up to the dining room wall. Yes, part of the wall is engraved, but only one is a masterwork. Bomrek will be fine.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 08:40:16 am by TheFlame52 »

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: June 08, 2014, 08:45:51 am »

Protip: Our morale is absolutely garbage right now and a tantrum is very, very possible.
Improve rooms, assign rooms, get clothing made, make Vlad's digs fancier than Helgardes (somehow he knows, and it's hurting his feelings pretty severely) and expanding the dining hall should provide you with some safety. Most bad thoughts right now are weather related (we can't do anything about that other than keep dwarves who don't need to go outside outside) Ghost related (slab up) or dining-hall related, but clothing-related thoughts are killer.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: June 08, 2014, 02:43:49 pm »

You could also move Vlad into the rooms I had dug for when we got a baron and just let the engravers fix up the walls. We have nine bars of gold you can make some furniture out of, which should be enough to make all of Vlad's rooms legendary if they're engraved well.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: June 08, 2014, 03:14:10 pm »

You could also move Vlad into the rooms I had dug for when we got a baron and just let the engravers fix up the walls. We have nine bars of gold you can make some furniture out of, which should be enough to make all of Vlad's rooms legendary if they're engraved well.

This issue isn't that Vlad's rooms aren't nice enough, just that Helgarde's rooms are so nice that it gives Vlad a ton of bad thoughts. And, because the RNG hates us, Vlad gets the worst possible thought for someone of a lower rank having same/higher quality rooms.
Vlad tantrumming is... bad. He's actually trained, so he beats the shit out of everyone, and he can definately start a tantrum spiral since he has 3 friends (who are themselves well connected) and we've got a hammerer in residence.

The simple solution would be to confiscate Helgarde's stuff, but that's a can of worms in itself. You can boost the value of Vlad's tomb by putting electrum floor bars down, since they stack with the floor/engarvings rather than replace them.
Of course, this is only going to get harder on us as the year goes on and Vlad gets turned into a Duke... bleh.

Sorry to sandbag Flame with all of this morale micromanagement, but spirals, spirals are coming. I can feel it in my water.
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 172