Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 172

Author Topic: Demongate: Wrapping up the Loose Ends.  (Read 673640 times)

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
Re: Demongate: Petitioning for Legalisation of Gypsum Continues.
« Reply #1335 on: June 09, 2014, 04:13:33 pm »

She's being spied on by spiders. If she's not insane, people will think she is.
We once had a random woman claiming to be the reincarnation of a dead engineer lead a revolution and become Overseer. The dwarves we write must be Getting Used to Clusterfuckery.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: June 09, 2014, 04:29:56 pm »

"Gimme a drink, padre," Thane grunted, easing into her traditional prayer seat.
"Whas yer... thingie... type?" Cornelius bellowed back to her joyfully. He seemed to have started praying early this evening.
"Strong." It had not been a good day for Thane, though the cats that had taken to following her around were making a killing.
The priest placed a mug of booze in front of her as delicately as her was able. Half of it didn't even spill. "Thane," he said solemnly. "I have something to tell you."
"What?" Cornelius beckoned, and she leaned forward, ready to hear news of dire importance.
"You have a spider in your hair," he stage whispered, then collapsed onto the table, shuddering with drunken laughter. Thane reached up, searching for a moment before she found the offending creature. It looked at her for a moment from the palm of her hand, then vanished into the depths of her slowly tightening fist.
"Whiddid you do that for?" said Cornelius indignantly. "Iwwas only a spider!"
"The damn things are everywhere, padre. All over the damn place. Watching me. And when it's not spiders, it's lizards, or snails, or lizards in snail shells, somehow."
"Thane. You sound crazy."
"Cornelius. You have no pants."
"What?" he checked, then began a frantic search for his missing clothes. Thane downed her drink, then walked out, absent mindedly wiping her hand on her trousers. She took care to step on the spider that was waiting for her outside.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: June 09, 2014, 05:07:44 pm »

Oh lol!
Who needs pants here... Thats me! Gimme your pants and no one gets hurt!
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Rhaken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: June 09, 2014, 05:13:22 pm »

The following takes place around the time of the Master's visit to Sir Brenzen. If all had gone according to plan, I'd have written it months ago.

Knock knock. Another interruption. Tarmid sighed, threw the tarp back over the heliotrope array. He had been staring at it for over an hour, as one would stare at a naughty child, daring it to perform mischief, daring it to show its darkest omens. His eyes were beginning to burn from the strain.

He walked toward the entrance of his office.

"Who is it?"

"An old friend, Tarmid."

Tarmid's eyes widened. Though muffled through the stone door, he was certain he recognized the voice. Only one dwarf he had ever met could pull off such a natural tone of casual command. But what would he be doing here?

Tarmid opened the door an inch at a time, ready to slam it back in case of a trap. Beyond the threshold stood an old hooded dwarf, his beard flecked in grey. Though disguised as a wanderer, his back and shoulders were ramrod-straight, the bearing of a seasoned commander. Tarmid ushered him in, closing the door behind them. Then he fell to one knee.

"No need for any of that, Tarmid," the Master admonished. "There are more important things to worry about. I bring news. Some good, some bad."

Tarmid rose, struggled with the urge to rub his tired eyes. "What news, your lordship?"

"The good news first, I think."

From beneath his cloak, the Master produced a sterling silver carrying case, no more than a dwarf's forearm in length. Its surface was engraved with the sigil of the Order, placed above a quill crossed with a sword. The symbol of the Scribes.

"Tarmid Lenodbomrek," the Master intoned, ""With the power invested in me by the council, I proclaim you Loremaster of the Order of the Knights of Saint Zane. You henceforth retain all the responsibilities and privileges of the rank." He stared Tarmid in the eye, and broke from the usual speech. "I trust you know what this means."

Tarmid reached for the box as approaching a python, one that would bite him he made any sudden movements. He gazed up at Master Urist, who nodded approval. Tarmid opened the carrying case, examined its contents. A heavy brass key. A silver signet ring set with a single black tourmaline. An iron pendant, shaped like a shattered sword, hanging from a delicate iron chain. His new symbols of office.

"The Apocrypha?"

From beneath the cloak, another silver box. A larger one. Large enough to hold a couple of books, and sealed with three locks. Tarmid took it from the Master's arms with care, deposited it in a stone cabinet and locked the doors.

"You will want to speak with Sir Brenzen," the Master told him. "He is now High Magebane, and requires further education."

"My lord," the scribe said, reticent, "a question, if I may."

The Master nodded.

"Why me? And why Sir Brenzen?"

"Because we have grown short-handed, Tarmid," the Master said, almost letting a crack of sorrow through his commanding tone. "The Keep is empty of all but novices and maintenance personnel. All battle-ready Knights are out there already, fighting the threat to the best of their ability."

"The Enemy moves, Tarmid. What little resistance remained in the southern lands is fading fast. Pockets of civilization are being replaced by people-farms. Most of our contacts down there have vanished. We lost an entire battalion six months ago, and haven't the dwarfpower to investigate the disappearance."

"And before you ask. Loremaster Likot passed away last autumn. Her books will be sent to you in due course. She will be missed."

Tarmid's shoulders sank. The Order always had exactly one Loremaster, the second highest rank a Scribe could achieve. Traditionally, the Loremaster would reside in the Keep, in the Fifth Tower, a restricted area filled to the brim with ancient tomes. Tarmid had dreamed of one day being allowed inside, though not quite like this. And Master Urist had made it clear that the books would be coming to Tarmid.

"That doesn''t fully answer my question, milord," Tarmid dared to venture. "There are many other Higher Scribes, many other magebanes. Why us?"

"Demongate is a funnel, Tarmid," replied the Master, unfazed by the new Loremaster's boldness. "The Steppes of Meditation are the only way into the north. From Demongate, it is possible to monitor all northbound traffic, and intercept it if necessary. The Council promoted Sir Brenzen because we he needs the authority when" -that sounded more like an 'if' to Tarmid- "we manage to send reinforcements. And you can't say he doesn't deserve the rank."

"We promoted you because you need to know the truth."

"The truth?" Tarmid raised an eyebrow.

"Not for me to say, Loremaster. You must see for yourself."

The Loremaster's mind raced with questions, and answers gave chase. He could feel his pulse accelerating as he tried to think of something to say. It took a moment of heavy silence for him to cobble together a sentence.

"Milord, I have a suspicion," he blurted. "The vampire we captured, Ingiz Laststeel. Did you receive my report?"

"I have. I am ashamed to admit that we did not know about King Fikod's... survival."

"Well, I've thought on this for some time now," Tarmid continued. "What he said about the caverns. History tells us that after Nish Woodlabor was slain, the First Iron was met with little resistance against the Bloodkin. Many times, our forces arrived at empty fortresses and simply occupied them."

The Master nodded for Tarmid to continue.

"It is commonly believed that the Knights and the soldiers of the First Iron slew most of the Bloodkin before eliminating Nish, thus breaking their resistance. But what if it didn't happen that way? What if the Bloodkin merely escaped, back across the ocean, through the caverns? That may well be how they arrived in the first place, since nobody remembers seeing Bloodkin ships. What if they are biding their time?"

The Master folded thick arms across a barrel chest. His stern but tranquil gaze gave nothing away, but Tarmid had seen the dwarf around a map table enough times to know when he was in deep thought.

"This Joyce you mentioned. If what you say is true, then Joyce was probably one of the Enemy, and is on his way back to the Old World to bring news. It also means that we will have our hands full monitoring the caverns, since the bloody things stretch under the world in all directions."

"This seems too perfectly coordinated for them. A long-dormant Bloodkin awakens at roughly the same time as they assert dominance over the south. Said Bloodkin escapes, presumably into the caverns, presumably back to the Old World with news. And while this is going on, Testtrumpets stirs."

The old master's shoulders slumped a fraction of an inch. "I do not like this, Tarmid. And as much as I wish, I cannot discuss it with you yet. Read the Apocrypha. Reach your own conclusions. And when I next stop by, we will have much to discuss."

Tarmid nodded, doing his damndest to hide his growing sense of worry. "How much am I permitted to tell Sir Brenzen?"

"That is for you to decide, Loremaster," the old warrior replied. "You outrank me in that area now."

They parted ways then. Master Urist left as quick as he came, and to most of the dwarves of Demongate, he was nothing but an eccentric old hermit, walking through Demongate on the way to the next chapter in his life. Knowing the Master, Tarmid was sure he preferred it that way.

He stashed his symbols of office within his clothing, and made his way down to Cornelius's backroom. The Padre was busy organizing hospital stocks when Tarmid barged in, taking his usual seat with barely a word.

"Evening prayers already, Tarmid? You're hours early," Cornelius remarked, staring up at him over an armload of crutches.

"I'm feeling pious. Now where's the hooch?"
Of course, he may have simply crushed the forgotten beasts with his massive testicles.

Forget a spouse, he needs a full time gonad wrangler.

danmanthedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: June 09, 2014, 05:16:43 pm »

Well the bog crawlers are spying either Thane or vlad but I think the bog would be better at spying on vlad. ;D

I wonder.... Yes that would work! To think I made a cat proof pest... hmm what should I call it? *Deep thinking* Aha! A RAT-SLUGGER, and all it took was some magic and strange substance call GLUA. "Now little one I want you to scare the cat away because every body knows cats hate slugs. *Taking out the soul gem* NOW GO REMOVE THE CATS FROM THANE'S PERSON FOR ME!"  Now back to gluaing rats to slugs and all sorts of *SNORT HACK PITUWE* spy activities.

Rhaken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: June 09, 2014, 05:21:49 pm »

Well the bog crawlers are spying either Thane or vlad but I think the bog would be better at spying on vlad. ;D

I wonder.... Yes that would work! To think I made a cat proof pest... hmm what should I call it? *Deep thinking* Aha! A RAT-SLUGGER, and all it took was some magic and strange substance call GLUA. "Now little one I want you to scare the cat away because every body knows cats hate slugs. *Taking out the soul gem* NOW GO REMOVE THE CATS FROM THANE'S PERSON FOR ME!"  Now back to gluaing rats to slugs and all sorts of *SNORT HACK PITUWE* spy activities.

Honestly, at this point, I don't get it. Why continue to spy on Thane?
Of course, he may have simply crushed the forgotten beasts with his massive testicles.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: June 09, 2014, 05:26:04 pm »

Carved on Flame/Unib's wall

Every senior member of the fort is drunk. I don't know why.

Overseer's log

No, stop dumping things right outside the hatches to the fortress. Dump the in the actual garbage dump. Who put that there?

Also, some migrants arrived. A fish cleaner/glassmaker, a great glassmaker, two great weavers, three great stoneworkers, a great cook, a great bone doctor/wound dresser, two ducklings, and a donkey foal. Except for the fish cleaner, a group of migrants any fortress would be proud to receive. And Cog made a piccolo.

((OOC:I don't have all that much free time right now. I'll play as much as I can.))

danmanthedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: June 09, 2014, 05:29:28 pm »

Because I still think shes evil, it was either her or tarmid.

Rhaken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: June 09, 2014, 05:57:58 pm »

By damn. I have started writing the scene of Nish Woodlabor's death, and upon inspecting Legends mode, I found something truly interesting. That battle was the first victory of The First Iron over the Bloodkin.

Motivation to write: RISING.

...Any help would be appreciated. Though I should mention that I may choose to discard any idea thrown at me in favor of my own imaginings. And to the folks I PMed about this several weeks ago, try to keep it "spoiler-free", eh? I'd like to save some surprise for the readers. ;)

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: June 09, 2014, 05:58:30 pm »

Why? Why does it have to be either of us? You're the crazy one, not me! AH, SPIDERS!

In any case, if a female vampire ever shows up, can you keep her safely locked away? I have... plans. (Don't worry, the fortress won't be getting vampirised)

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: June 09, 2014, 06:02:25 pm »

Because I still think shes evil, it was either her or tarmid.

You'd think no further magic being detected for years in-game, no sign of suspicious behavior (besides Tarmid's general scribyness) and working closely with the two would lead Dorftheman to suspect someone else at this point.
I suspect the sickness Dantheman has is due to adamantine exposure - seeing as he got sick due to being exposed to magic in the first place and adamantine is confirmed to radiate it.

... if you want to spy on Vlad, go nuts. He's just the single most politically powerful dwarf in the fortress bar the overseer, a disgruntled soldier and one of the key figures in a conspiracy that runs most of the fort behind the scenes. Nothing could possibly go wrong.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: June 09, 2014, 06:27:40 pm »

Bah. Once I orchestrate Thane marrying into the nobility, Dan's going straight into a gulag. That'll teach him to mess with the fair and merciful baroness.

danmanthedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1347 on: June 09, 2014, 06:33:32 pm »

Bah. Once I orchestrate Thane marrying into the nobility, Dan's going straight into a gulag. That'll teach him to mess with the fair and merciful baroness.
Bring I will make my pet Bog-spider crawl into your bed and bite your twice.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: June 09, 2014, 06:42:40 pm »

Corley sat back against the large stalagmite as he listened to the sounds of the caverns. The Order had grown more interested in the caverns near northern part of the continent in recent times, and the group did not want to be heard. After becoming satisfied that the crackle of the fire that illuminated their faces and the vicinity was the only sound nearby, Corley relaxed and began to light his pipe.

"Father," one of the thaumateurges began, "what is our next step?"

"I'm not certain," their leader responded, "What is the status of the queen?"

Another of the group stood up. "The queen of The First Iron is growing old; roughly one hundred sixty-three years old as of now. No dwarf has been known to live over one hundred seventy."

"She is an ordinary dwarf," began a third, "rumor has it that she became obsessed with her own mortality years ago. She may be a prime collaborator."

"Yes," agreed Corley as he drew in the fumes of his pipe, "I feel that she may be able to better fund our searches, thus speeding up our plans noticeably."

"Talking of the search Father, it seems as if the third has become the prize of a human bonecrafter. It has sadly been reduced to a number of bracelets and scepters."

"A trivial concern, my child. In the days when the spimmators roamed the Mainland, there were more of them than the seven spoken of in the scroll. We'll simply have to re-designate the third.

"On another note, am I correct in saying that the dwarves of Demongate are warring against the men of the Union of Delighting?"

"It is so, Father. How does this affect your plans?"

"If anything, I would say that it simply gives the dwarves opportunity to hone in their skills. Also, it opens up opportunities for diplomacy with the humans for us."

"Excellent Father!"

"If I may, Father, who is to be the Maiden?"

"I can remember two young females from Demongate. Neither of them were particularly intelligent—though one was especially stupid—and I think that either would make a reasonable candidate. I suppose that when the time comes, I'll just take all of the females to Inner Sedilkosoth and see who is up for the task.

"Until then, I'll need to borrow one apprentice from each of you. They will assist me in my diplomacy with the two races. That is all for now, and you may return to your work."
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: June 09, 2014, 06:45:16 pm »

Bring I will make my pet Bog-spider crawl into your bed and bite your twice.

Although I Vill Be Cuttingk You policies have run their course, they may be reinstated at any time without warning.
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 172