Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 172

Author Topic: Demongate: Wrapping up the Loose Ends.  (Read 665429 times)

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
Re: Demongate: Petitioning for Legalisation of Gypsum Continues.
« Reply #1380 on: June 13, 2014, 08:52:21 am »

Wait, hold on - bloodkin don't breed, right? But why don't they breed? They have both male and female castes, as well as child and baby tags.

danmanthedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1381 on: June 13, 2014, 09:10:24 am »

Hmm I will see how the alliance goes so do it still to sleepy to type shit sorry.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1382 on: June 13, 2014, 10:18:05 am »

To detect where it is safe to dig, use the Dwarven 6th Sense, aka the Beard Sense.
Set up a zone; if it lets you pit/pond, it's an open part of the vein.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1383 on: June 13, 2014, 10:20:44 am »

Overseer's Log

The miners finished mining out the adamantine - or should I say miner, because the only miner to actually show up to the dig site was Onul Kolsazir. We now have 118 more adamantine boulders, and the miners trust me more on matters of adamantine. They feel like if I was going to breach hell and flood the fort with demons, I would have done so already.

A vile force of darkness has arrived! Four squads of melee goblins led by unmounted weaponlords. Among those are two elite ranged goblins. There are also two squads of trolls. The only person outside is a potter carrying her baby, so I order her back inside and lock the doors.

The macegoblin squad comes toward the gates first, led by an elite crossbowman. I remember to open the trap bridges in time. The leader opens fire on someone's chicken outside. I check the doors again to make sure they are locked, and they are. It must have been out there to begin with. The leader steps on one of our traps, but jumps away before it can hurt him. Then, like an idiot, he steps back on, then jumps into the drop pit. He lands on the new floors I had installed - great! He breaks his hand. The traps shred a few more macegoblins, and one goblin's leg flies onto the balcony above the cage traps.

A second squad of lashers comes in, led by a spearmaster. The hammerer gives birth to a girl. I hear dwarven shouts from outside - it seems a weaver was out hunting, and was caught off guard by some trolls. It's too late for her. Luckily, she has no relatives to console, but she was a great weaver that arrived in the last migrant wave. The elite crossbowman is caught in a cage trap. We really need to find something to do with these captives. The lasher squad passes the entrance by, apparent heading for the weaver's body. There are already two squads of goblins and a squad of trolls there.

Meanwhile, the second squad of trolls comes for the entrance. The first one wades through many traps, the blades shredding his flesh and bone, until he finally passes out from pain. More trolls follow and die while the first one still hangs on by a thread. He dies as more trolls futilely hurl themselves onto the traps, only to be torn to bits. Upon seeing this, the macegoblin squad decides to retreat, leaderless.

Now, all four remaining squads are gathered around the weaver's corpse. We may not have beaten the siege, but we're safe for now. Vlad mandates some quivers, I order them made.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1384 on: June 13, 2014, 10:26:25 am »

To detect where it is safe to dig, use the Dwarven 6th Sense, aka the Beard Sense.
Yeah, I know about that. Also, cool, an alliance of magic users. But we won't be calling it that.

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: June 13, 2014, 12:54:17 pm »

I smile at the lizard. Then I casually check to make sure nobody else is listening.

"Something is going on with the bloodkin.  Contrary to expectations, they have not shown up.  I think I shall leave the fort to gather more information. Take this quartz crystal. Find the place where the curse was cast. Shatter the crystal there. "

It took some effort to cajole the poor lizard into swallowing the crystal. 

"Oh, and stay away from the gypsum powder. It may make you feel good in the short run, but unlike sunberries and sunshine,  it does not contain anti-curse properties."
This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"

danmanthedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1386 on: June 13, 2014, 12:56:37 pm »

I smile at the lizard. Then I casually check to make sure nobody else is listening.

"Something is going on with the bloodkin.  Contrary to expectations, they have not shown up.  I think I shall leave the fort to gather more information. Take this quartz crystal. Find the place where the curse was cast. Shatter the crystal there. "

It took some effort to cajole the poor lizard into swallowing the crystal. 

"Oh, and stay away from the gypsum powder. It may make you feel good in the short run, but unlike sunberries and sunshine,  it does not contain anti-curse properties."
Wait is that my lizard or some random lizard... if its mine don't you be shoving stuff down their throats unless it makes them funny looking.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1387 on: June 13, 2014, 01:09:34 pm »

Flame was walking down the hall to find Tarmid to order some quivers for Vlad when she saw Dantheman further down the hallway. "Hey, Dantheman, I've been meaning to talk to you."

"Make it quick," Danthemen replied with a cough. "I have to find some more bugs. Thanks for having all the cats slaughtered, by the way."

"I have a proposition for you, a partnership of sorts."

"First, what's in it for me?"

"Well, for starters, I can cure that little sickness of yours."

"I don't believe you."

"That's fine, I can still do it. You're suffering from clashing magics. The natural thaumic magic here from all the adamantine is interfering with your shamanic magic, and it's making you sick."

"Alright, then, cure me." Flame unslung Ethadmerzeth from her back and held it in front of her face, looking very focused. The band of pyrites began to glow as Dantheman began to feel something in his body changing. As Flame put the axe back in its sling, Dantheman took an experimental breath. No coughing. He took a deeper breath, the deepest he had breathed in ages. "Thanks, Flame!" he said with a rare smile. "So, about that partnership?"

"Well, it's not that complicated an agreement. We will be free to call on each other's knowledge and abilities whenever possible. Also, I'll need to extract the thaum from your body periodically or you'll get sick again."

"Agreed." The two shook hands, then continued on their way.

danmanthedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1388 on: June 13, 2014, 02:26:25 pm »

*INHALE DEEPLY* "HA HA! To think that Flame person cured me!" *Exhale* Hmm he said that we could ask on each others magic... Maybe that strange thaum magic of his could help me make better spies. The dang clue keeps coming off my bog-spiders, now if I could get some demon rats and bats those two would be perfect togather.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #1389 on: June 13, 2014, 04:16:56 pm »

Yeah, I know about that. Also, cool, an alliance of magic users. But we won't be calling it that.
>exploits
>are you for serious

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1390 on: June 13, 2014, 04:42:35 pm »

As far as exploits go, I'd say that this one is fairly tame, though I myself would neither use it nor encourage its use. What I'm wondering is why we need to mine more when we supposedly have over one hundred eighteen boulders or raw adamantine as it is.
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1391 on: June 13, 2014, 05:43:54 pm »

Flame, if you want to use the zones to check where the safe adamantine ends for yourself, there's not much we can do to stop you. Don't mark the map though.

I can't help but wonder why a demon of all things would be capable of healing someone from an adverse reaction to adamantine exposure.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1392 on: June 13, 2014, 06:01:06 pm »

1. Flame is a super nice demon.
2. Demons have a lot of willpower. Willpower, if I remember correctly, is the basis of thaumic magic.
3. She's using a focus - her axe - to control the magic better.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #1393 on: June 13, 2014, 06:06:00 pm »

I can't help but wonder why a demon of all things would be capable of healing someone from an adverse reaction to adamantine exposure.
I assume the demons have a long history of dealing with adamatine-related health problems, seeing as they're more likely to encounter an adamantine spire/weapon than any other being. Besides, it's probably magic, which operates on the principles of 'a wizard did it'.

The weird thing is that adamantine allergies exist at all - although it's probably more like a general magic allergy/accelerated aging as tiny changes to the bodies cells build up. In which case magic-absorbing materials (wood opals/transgendered murderghost ectoplasm apparently) would alleviate symptoms.

Also, how Dantheman (the dorf) thinks that magic using demon willpower as a source is any different from magic using his own belief as a source... although wait, his own belief is both why it works and why he thinks its in any way different. I'm dumb.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 06:10:40 pm by MDFification »

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1394 on: June 13, 2014, 06:22:53 pm »

I'm not sure that demoniac/shamanic magic has a set of hard rules. I suppose it would have limitations, though I feel that one's approach to it can only be so scientific.
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 172