Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 172

Author Topic: Demongate: Wrapping up the Loose Ends.  (Read 671531 times)

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
Re: Demongate: Petitioning for Legalisation of Gypsum Continues.
« Reply #1575 on: June 28, 2014, 03:13:02 pm »

I lost count of how many people I killed during my turn.
Was it 10? 12? 15?

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1576 on: June 28, 2014, 03:52:09 pm »

Quick question. I've had Thane and Vladamir locked in a room together nearly a month now. They're standing adjacent to each other, yet neither has the 'recently talked to a loved one' happy thought. Does this have something to do with Vlad having the noble job instead of no job? Also, Vladamir is traumatised about a lesser's pretentious burial arrangements, in spite of him having a Royal Mausoleum and the next best being a Grand one. Also, it turns out that both Vladamir and Thane prefer to consume sunshine, so I guess they actually had a reason for not liking Gnora's opinion on the matter.

Thane's Journal, 5th of Slate.

Our stairs are finally water-free once more. On an unrelated note, Mebzuth Adilcatten, a promising mason-in-training, has been missing for a week.

9th:

I've prepared a gift for Tarmid to make up for my recent lapses as a student. I've discovered three new recruits that he can train in the ways of scribing, and I've prepared a duplicate of the strange device made of bloodstones that he keeps in the room he uses for meetings with Brenzen. There weren't enough bloodstones to make a perfect copy, but I found a sunstone and wood opal that should do the trick.

13th:

It seems Lokast is married. I'll admit that I'm a bit surprised by that, since I don't think I've ever heard him say a word. Perhaps he just has very persuasive handwriting.

20th:

Vladamir is naked. Again. I guess it's some kind of protest against his position or something, but for now I'm going to find some clothes and make him put them on.

22nd:

Someone's put up a bunch of blank slabs outside. I've decided that we need them to take care of our ghost problem, so they're coming down for a while.

The giant hairy dung beetle that everyone was talking about a few weeks ago has apparently been spotted in the caverns again. I've decided that the caves are too valuable a commodity to leave unused just because of a few rumours, so they're going to be opened again shortly. Any giant beetles still hanging around then should prove a very nice source of food.

26th:

Fallen Angel's death got me a bit worried. I wasn't sure what to do about it, but then I noticed that we had a giant pile of trained war dogs leaning against the corner of our outer walls, so I've assigned a pair of them to each of Demongate's notables. Tarmid took to his immediately. He doesn't really talk to anyone except the other scribes and Brenzen, so I guess that's understandable.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1577 on: June 28, 2014, 05:04:37 pm »

Was Gnora amongst those that received guard dogs?
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1578 on: June 28, 2014, 05:14:26 pm »

Even though she survived the beast sickness (the one with the pus, fever, and rotting lungs), a guard dog is still a great idea.
Yes, she was hit with the beast sickness.
Yes, she's one of the ones harvesting food.
Yes, it's totally safe.
No, you don't have the beast sickness.
No, your lungs are fi-
(pus explosion)
I stand corrected.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1579 on: June 28, 2014, 05:34:31 pm »

Yeah, pretty much every named character got a pair of dogs. Should help prevent people getting their avatars killed just because they went outside. Also, will we be at war with the humans? I seem to recall something about their law giver getting murdered again.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1580 on: June 28, 2014, 05:36:41 pm »

This time it couldn't be prevented and wasn't actually wanted. The guy revealed a goblin ambush squad and got macerated in the head with a mace, after being shot in the leg with an arrow. He was running away fine until they forced him to crawl.
But yeah, prepare for a war again. But this time they should be weakened from the previous war.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1581 on: June 28, 2014, 06:08:46 pm »

At least this means we'll have even more iron. Hrm. If they send a squad of swordsmen, I'm melting the blades down and turning them into a throne.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1582 on: June 28, 2014, 06:10:12 pm »

Blood for the blood god! Swords for the sword throne!

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1583 on: June 28, 2014, 06:58:24 pm »

I lost count of how many people I killed during my turn.
Was it 10? 12? 15?

You mean you tried to keep track in the first place?

how naive. :cheeky grin:
This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1584 on: June 29, 2014, 10:53:35 am »

Even though she survived the beast sickness (the one with the pus, fever, and rotting lungs)
I COULD HAVE WARNED YOU, BUT NOOOOO.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1585 on: June 29, 2014, 01:21:09 pm »

Even though she survived the beast sickness (the one with the pus, fever, and rotting lungs)
I COULD HAVE WARNED YOU, BUT NOOOOO.
Why ruin the fun?
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1586 on: June 29, 2014, 06:37:57 pm »

Thane's Journal, 7th of Felsite:

I've been attempting to get slabs made for the ghosts that are haunting Demongate, but they don't seem to be on any census of citizens. I can only assume that they came with a caravan and got killed somehow, but the engravers refuse to carve a slab for a dwarf that didn't live here. Apparently their souls can only rest if their slab is at their home. Now, I work with metal, not stone, but I'm nearly certain that a nearby male animal of the bovine description defecated loudly while they told me that.

8th:

A thresher discovered a kobold thief trying to gain access to the fortress. Instead of running around like a madman, Sazir Kangoden shot the skulking filth with her crossbow, and then ran around like a madman. The thief passed out and was shredded by some green saws that rose out of the earth.

In other news, a great scaly leech has been spotted in the caverns. It has an enormous shell and a gaunt appearance(?), and it can apparently breathe fire. I'd send the militia to fight it, but it's currently hanging out with that hairy lobster, and no one's interested in getting tangled in webs and then set on fire. Also, there's a giant noseless zebra that no one told me about near the adamantine mine. It can apparently spit webs as well, so... I'm not really sure what we're going to do about this. I'll try sending in a crossbow squad first, and if that doesn't work, I might have to flood the caves with magma.

The Beast Hunter seemed oddly cheerful as he descended into the caves. Thane could only guess that he was glad to finally have the opportunity to hunt one of the beasts he spoke of for himself. The rest of the militia was more subdued. Some even muttered that it had been a mistake to try take the deepest reaches of the caves, that they were suffering the revenge of the earth for digging too deeply and greedily. Others whispered of the rumours about the structure made of a strange black stone that even Brenzen couldn't crack with his pick. Whether they thought that it was the prize they fought for, or the curse they fought against, Thane couldn't say. Every stair brought them deeper into the earth. This far down, only the occasional torch parted the veil of darkness, making it seem as though the blackness was dancing around them, mocking them, unbeatable. Thirty seven dwarves gathered around Thane, Brenzen and Mistress Nero. Brenzen began to say something, cut off as the door to the caves rattled on its hinges.
"SPREAD OUT!" Thane roared as the stone door rocked on its hinges again. The third blow sent the door flying into the wall opposite it, sending dwarves diving to the sides to dodge it, and an eyeless lobster seemed to stare at them for a moment. Nunur chittered to itself, then a claw shot forwards at Thanatos. His shield flashed up, deflecting the blow but knocking him off his feet. As he fell, he swung his sword wildly, cutting into the underside of the beast's arm. It screeched, rearing back, then slammed forwards again, spraying webs into the stairway. The more seasoned dwarves had gotten behind it by then, slicing and bashing at its legs. Brenzen barely had time to shout a warning before a giant lizard fell on them from behind.

Athrig had time to roar at the knight once before his pickaxe crashed into the lizard's skull. Brenzen pulled the pick back, waiting for the beast to fall. Instead it reared back, bringing its front legs down in a crushing blow. Brenzen spun to the side, swinging Udeshkurol into Athrig's right knee. It roared again, and the pick crashed into its chest. Behind him, he heard Nunur screeching. He glanced behind him, certain the lobster was about to ambush him, turning back just in time to see the glow in Athrig's throat. Brenzen vaulted onto the lizard's back just in time to avoid the pillar of flame it loosed, severing its lower spine with a blow. The beast twisted in pain, fire spewing randomly across the cave. Nunur howled as its chest was engulfed by flames, but Brenzen was glad to see that all of the soldiers had raised their shields in time. The lobster fled into the darkness, a roaming beacon, and the militia converged on Athrig. The rest was slaughter.

Thane had her back to the screams and flames. There were four beasts, and they had only fought two of them so far. The lobster and the lizard were dead and dying, but she couldn't see the leech or the zebra anywhere. The fools at the stars were celebrating as though the battle was won already. If Vlad had been there, there would have been discipline, but Vlad couldn't be there. He had sworn at them when they told him, and even louder when he realised he couldn't change their minds, but once he realised that she and Brenzen wouldn't relent, he agreed, probably so they wouldn't have to waste a soldier guarding his rooms. Thane's thoughts were cut off when she heard the screams from above. She was nearly certain that it was one of the beasts. A dwarf surely couldn't howl like that. She hung Ob Kat from her shoulder, turning to help the Hellguard in their battle-

A breath behind her. She should have been worried that it was one of the beasts, but Thane had been hearing that breath for years. Everywhere she went, it seemed to be there before her, but no more. Ob Kat spun around once as she pulled it from her shoulder, ready to face whatever demon had been dogging her. Dantheman stepped into the firelight, a finger to his lips, pointing. Thane's eyes widened, then narrowed, then followed his finger. It was called Oci, she remembered. It looked like a horse, but striped black and white- or it seemed that way in the darkness, at least- and its face was flattened where its snout should have been. Thane could see Dan lining up a shot with his crossbow, taking an all too familiar breath as he steadied his aim.

It was Dan?
The bolt seemed to take an eternity to cross the distance to Oci, enough time for Thane to wonder what she had ever done to the hunter, why he would spend so much time chasing her, or Tarmid, or Gnora. The zebra growled as the bolt struck it in the gut, and a tapestry of silk flew through the air towards Thane and her stalker. The both dived away. Thane stood up, searching for Dan. He was on the ground, reaching towards her, webs wrapped around his legs up to the knees.
"Help," he said. Thane backed away. Dan's face twisted in confusion, and he struggled to his feet slowly, too slowly. He was bringing up his bow for another shot when Oci's hoof connected with his jaw.

Necks don't bend that way, Thane thought numbly. Oci spat more webs onto the hunter as he spasmed on the ground, looking up as reinforcements arrived. There was a flash of blue through the air as Lor Istbarsigun dodged under the zebra's feet, bringing his axe up in an underhand stroke that sent it crashing through the beast's ribcage. The militia captain abandoned his weapon to jump away from Oci's kicks and bites, each more feeble than the last, until it finally sank to the ground.

Thane silently walked over to Dantheman. He didn't seem to be breathing. As she knelt beside him, there was a sickening squelch as Lor pulled his axe out of Oci's corpse.
"It looks like his neck was broken," he said when he saw what she was looking at.
"I could have saved him," Thane whispered numbly.
"Don't go blaming yourself," Lor told her. "Rule number one, remember? I'm sure if you'd gotten here before me, you would have done the same, but Dan shouldn't have tried to fight the thing alone. He knew better than anyone how dangerous they are."
Thane nodded silently. It was better this way. Dan could be a hero, and she wouldn't have to tell anyone why she'd left him there.
"Do you want to hear the tallies?" Brenzen was asking her from miles away.
"Not yet," Thane heard herself say. "I need to pray first."
Brenzen nodded understandingly. "I'm sure we all have things we need to forget."
Thane glanced down at Dan, nodding.
Some more than others.

Final tally:
- Two soldiers were caught in webs and fell on weapon traps. One died, the other is only missing most of the right hand side of his body.
- Dan was an accident. Literally the first two actions of the battle were him firing his bolt and then getting kicked in the head.
- Seven dwarves and four war dogs burned to death.
- Four dead forgotten beasts.
- The leech got into the miner's guildhall and killed most of the miner's guild. At least they can't organise strikes any more. Our Legendary Drug Dealer eventually killed it.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1587 on: June 29, 2014, 07:34:45 pm »

*pulls out the flag of Demongate*
This is why I never fought the things unless they started causing havoc.
It worked out fine.
I work on the principle of "If it is large and dangerous, wait for it to start the chaos."
There was only one civilian death caused by a forgotten beast during my turn, and it was a baby.
The rest were due to goblin ambushes or falling into the caverns.
How many miners are dead? I think it's time to assign random people to the Mining labor and train new ones. It's not like we mine *that* much around here.
Also, remember that the guildmaster died by way of falling into the caverns, which was a complete accident. If I planned it, Helgarde would have been told to duel a forgotten beast with only a copper spear and a loincloth, because that would be hilarious to watch.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1588 on: June 29, 2014, 07:38:24 pm »

Surprisingly enough, no miners were actually killed by the leech, just all of their friends and family.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1589 on: June 29, 2014, 07:44:52 pm »

WELP DAN IT LOOKS LIKE OUR ALLIANCE IS AT AN END
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 172