Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 172

Author Topic: Demongate: Wrapping up the Loose Ends.  (Read 669897 times)

Senshuken

• Bay Watcher
  • Defend till the end.
    • View Profile
Re: Demongate: Main Character Deaths Make Good Storylines!
« Reply #1620 on: July 06, 2014, 04:37:17 am »

Artyom sighed as he stood respectfully next to one of many coffins that had needed to be filled recently.

The last weeks had seen the deaths of many a dwarf, but the to big ones that he had taken the effort to pay attention to were those of Dan and Gnora.

Admittingly Dan's death hadn't been that big of a surprise. Considering the list of people that he seemed to be stalking the fact that Dan wasn't stabbed to death years okay was a surprise in and of itself. Gnora's however...

Reaching out to place a hand on Gnora's coffin, he patted it gently as he reflected on his follow founder. She had withdrawn from her fellow founders and the relationship between her and Vlad had been hostile from pretty much the start... Still, she didn't deserve all the crap she got.

As a final sign of respect, Artyom placed a flagon of one of Gnora's own concoctions of ale on top of her coffin. "Wherever you are... I hope there aren't any sun-berries. Take care Gnora." 
Cause every silver lining has a cloud, and it won't be alright on the night; There's nothing at the end of the rainbow and there's a tunnel at the end of the light!

danmanthedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1621 on: July 06, 2014, 07:00:14 am »

Hmm don't forget about the soul gem I had and all the stuff.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1622 on: July 06, 2014, 07:27:04 am »

I think Flame might already have made off with your soul gems. Sorry about the delay, I've been out and about for a few days. Gnora's brother will be in the next update, I just couldn't think of a good way to transition to his arrival.

Lor Istbarsigun’s chest shuddered as she breathed out. The medics around her wrinkled their noses at the smell, but Thane had grown used to it hours ago. Lor’s yellowed eyes cracked open again, and she attempted a smile.
“Did... the others...survive?” she gasped. Thane blinked, then nodded.
“Nero, Ducim, Zasit, Thob?”
“They’re all fine,” Thane said. She didn’t even glance at the bodies in the beds beside her.
“Good,” Lor nodded. She clenched her teeth for a moment. “Is it true that Armok lets heroes live again when he creates a new world?”
“Of course it is,” answered Thane.
“...was I a hero?” Lor whispered.
“You were a great hero,” Thane told her. “They’ll write ballads about you.”
Lor smiled. She never spoke again.

There wasn’t an immediate response when she knocked on the door, so she waited for the sound to filter through whatever Tarmid was reading now. The door creaked open after a minute, and he finally peered out.
“I need to talk to you,” Thane said. Tarmid nodded.
“Come inside, won’t you?”
“Not here,” she answered. “I found out something recently, and I’m worried about how far it goes. I need to show you something, anyway.”
She walked away without looking back. Tarmid frowned for a moment, then followed her.
“I thought that there was something strange about the caves when we opened them again,” she said over her shoulder as they descended into the darkness. “There were just so many creatures down there, when normally you’d only get one or two a year... I thought it was just bad luck, or a terrible decision on my part, but then...”
“Then?” Tarmid prompted her. Thane turned abruptly, thrusting her torch into the darkness. She appeared to listen intently for a moment, then continued walking just as suddenly.
“It’s just a little further,” she said. They had finished with the stairs, and the bloodstained floor of the lowest cave opened out before them. “You see, during the goblin invasions, a group of undead... things tried to attack us from below. The traps took care of them, but I wanted to find out where they came from. There were a few notes about a strange structure in some of our Overseer books, but they were mostly hushed up. In any case, here we are.”

It was an unnaturally smooth wall made of a stone Tarmid couldn’t identify. He took the torch from Thane, lighting the rock as best he could, but it remained as black as ever. He tried to chip off a sample with his knife, but it shattered.
“It’s unbreakable, as near as I can tell,” Thane told him. “But someone must have shaped it. Me and my squad have been clearing the place out for a while now and we think we’ve gotten all the zombies, but there could be one or two lurking about.”
“Is this where you’ve been since Lor died?” Tarmid demanded. Thane nodded. “You can’t just abandon your duties to the entire fortress on a whim, Thane! What if you’d died?”
“Someone could have replaced me, I’m sure,” she shrugged.
“And Vladamir? What about him?”
Thane looked pained. “He’s got his own stuff to work through. He doesn’t need me around all the time.”
“What’s gotten into you lately, Thane?” Tarmid asked.
“I found out who’s been following us around,” she answered quietly. “It was Dan.”
“That’s ridiculous!” Tarmid exclaimed. “He was one of the founders of the fortress! If he was the spy, then...”
“Then anyone could be one,” nodded Thane. “He could be a ringleader or a pawn, and I don’t even know what his motives were.”
“Thane... is this why he’s dead?”
“What!? No! I just... I found out, and... I wanted to help him, but...”
Tarmid took pity on her. “Was there something else you wanted to show me?”
“Yeah, it’s just a little further down,” said Thane. She still seemed to be struggling with herself about Dan as they walked towards a blue glow.
“It’s just like...” Tarmid began.
“The sword itself is adamantine, as far as I can tell,” Thane said, indicating the weapon sunk nearly to the hilt in the strange rock. “As for this,” she continued, indicating the source of the glow, “I think this is more in your area of expertise. I need your help, Tarmid, but I need discretion as well. I want to know everything you can find out about this sword and what lies beneath it. Did the blade or the building come first? I know that there might be information the Knights have buried, but surely you can understand that the fate of the fortress could be in the balance if this is anything like some of the artifacts I read about in your books. I can understand if you need to speak with Brenzen about this, but no one outside your order."
Tarmid thought for a moment. "If it's so vital, surely you can ask some of the other people who live here about it? Thanatos, Flame, Fallen. They could all have valuable knowledge about it."
Thane snorted. "Sure, I'll let someone who claims to be a demon look at a weapon with unknown properties in a building full of zombies underground. You're the only one who might have access to what I need to know, and the only one that I think I can trust with a secret. So, you can report to the other knights if you really feel you have to, as long as I get the exact same reports on what you find. Do we have a deal?”
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 06:16:15 pm by Deus Asmoth »
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1623 on: July 07, 2014, 03:06:09 am »

Corley's Journal
Outer Sedilkosoth
--
I've kept my eye on Sedilkosoth, the underground fortress, for the past few months. It seems that the current overseer of the fortress has her eyes on it as well, though I doubt she knows of its origin or its purpose. I thought, at first, that she sought to seal it up further, as her predecessors had done with the fortifications. I soon came to realize, however, that this one was quite different. She wandered with a sort of curiosity, a longing; she seems almost maddened as she wanders about the halls. Perhaps, she'll soon venture to open the entrance to Inner Sedilkosoth.

I don't know how they managed it so easily, but it appears that they managed to simply flush out most of the corpses that guarded the outer fortress. The scroll speaks only vaguely about these guardians; their origins and affiliations are a complete mystery. They might be servants of the Mask's gods, trying to gain control of the outer layer to bring forth disaster. They could be commanded by Armok, to keep the fortress safe until the time comes. I suppose that it does not matter much at this point in time, but I cannot help but wonder.

When both halves are restored, things can begin. The Ascension Project is nearing its final stages. In fact, I recently received a letter from Leopold claiming the the third, the fourth,
and the fifth had been recovered with the help of our collaborators' funding. The fortress will be our gateway into paradise, and I shall ride the Ark and await rebirth with glee. The others here, I presume, will not initially take well to the idea of leaving this world behind, but they have not suffered as I have; they do not yet know.
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #1624 on: July 07, 2014, 10:20:22 pm »

Found this, thought you folks would see the potential:

"A sprawling criminal organization has left our people living in fear. They have a town called Sableprophets somewhere in The Stormy Hill."

Wait, this version has the MAFIA in it?

The Dwarf Mafia: Because regular fortresses aren't terrifying enough.

That's right! It appears (I repeat: appears) that the new version has CRIMINAL ORGANIZATIONS[/i]. When this fort inevitable falls under it's own wait, the future holds MUCH promise, doesn't it?
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1625 on: July 07, 2014, 10:39:58 pm »

Found this, thought you folks would see the potential:

"A sprawling criminal organization has left our people living in fear. They have a town called Sableprophets somewhere in The Stormy Hill."

Wait, this version has the MAFIA in it?

The Dwarf Mafia: Because regular fortresses aren't terrifying enough.

That's right! It appears (I repeat: appears) that the new version has CRIMINAL ORGANIZATIONS[/i]. When this fort inevitable falls under it's own wait, the future holds MUCH promise, doesn't it?
We should probably wait until he releases at least version 0.40.05 or something around that number before we try any serious succession fortress. Until then, Demongate endures.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1626 on: July 08, 2014, 05:20:19 pm »

The mug in front of her was empty. That was odd; Thane was certain it had been full a moment ago. She'd been planning to drink a toast of Lor and Gnora, Nero and Angel, even to Dan. Now she couldn't remember which one she'd been on before her drink had vanished. Oh well. She'd just have to start over again.
"Excuse me?" the voice had a familiar accent. Thane turned to see a young looking dwarf with what he probably thought was a winning smile.
"My name is Torvald," he told her, apparently assuming that she gave a damn. She'd made that mistake before, and it wasn't going to happen again any time soon. "I was told my sister lived here," he was continuing. Thane watched him with mild interest.
"Gnora?" Torvald said. "She should be pretty well known, she's lived here for years..."
Thane drained her mug. "Not any more," she grunted, standing up. The boy frowned in confusion, then followed her out.
"Maybe you could tell me where she's gone?" he called as Thane walked outside, grimacing as the sunlight hit her eyes.
"She didn't move anywhere," she told the boy. "Get a move on, you worthless sons of elves!" she shouted at some masons on the walls. "The humans could be here any day now, and we don't need any more heroes, do we?"
"No, boss!" they shouted back.
"Because we all know what heroes do, right?" Thane asked.
"HEROES DIE!" they chorused.
"Miss Overseer?" the boy said insistently. Thane glanced back in irritation. "Where is my sister?"
Thane shrugged. "I suppose you could say she was a hero," she answered. The boy's eyes widened when he finally grasped her meaning. Long ago, she would have tried to be gentle, but the world had no place for that. Thane left him standing there. There was work to do.

Still no wedding bells for Vlad. There's only been two talking to a lover thoughts that I've noticed, so it'll probably take a few years to get them hitched.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1627 on: July 08, 2014, 05:55:14 pm »

Torvald’s Journal
Gnora
--
It seems that I just missed my sister; she was killed not too long before I arrived. What a shame this is, for she was such a kind and helpful girl, if I remember correctly. She worked hard, and was completely devoted to the field. I can’t even remember how many years ago it was when she left to join this fortress, but I can still see her clearly. I suppose I’ll write to father soon. He has grown old and weary, but he’ll still want to know. Until then, I feel like I need a drink; perhaps she brewed some when she was alive.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1628 on: July 08, 2014, 06:09:19 pm »

From the engravings of FallenAngel III, Legendary+1 Bodysurfer

That's... strange, to say the least. A mysterious orb appeared underneath my bed, and it tells of the next universe - the one that'll form once ours falls. It seems all fiction - everybody knows trees are small, and that climbing and jumping are physically impossible - the air is the domain of flying creatures and creatures you knock off a cliff. I'll keep this knowledge to myself for now, although I'm sure Thane might know about this...

danmanthedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1629 on: July 08, 2014, 06:42:36 pm »

Will some one write about my dang soul gem please! I would love to become some shaman lich or body surf into a cat or dog.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1630 on: July 08, 2014, 07:04:09 pm »

Will some one write about my dang soul gem please! I would love to become some shaman lich or body surf into a cat or dog.
Pretty sure Flame stole most of your stuff after you died.

I think it'd be best to hold off on doing another fortress (I'm assuming that we can't transfer saves forward to .40) until the new version's been stabilised a bit more. Currently, there's bunches of necro towers sprouting up like mushrooms, talking to gods crashes the game (for me at least) and probably a bunch of other stuff that hasn't been found yet. Plus we'd need a new mod for bloodkin if the creature tags have been substantially changed, I haven't checked up on that yet.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1631 on: July 08, 2014, 07:13:26 pm »

Pretty sure Flame stole most of your stuff after you died.

I think it'd be best to hold off on doing another fortress (I'm assuming that we can't transfer saves forward to .40) until the new version's been stabilised a bit more. Currently, there's bunches of necro towers sprouting up like mushrooms, talking to gods crashes the game (for me at least) and probably a bunch of other stuff that hasn't been found yet. Plus we'd need a new mod for bloodkin if the creature tags have been substantially changed, I haven't checked up on that yet.
I very much agree that we mustn't start a new game until we finish this one and the new version is stabilized. Also, the bloodkin creature and entity files should be changed thoroughly when we convert them to raws for the new version. Looking through them as they currently are, there is very little about them that is special.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1632 on: July 08, 2014, 07:43:18 pm »

Ideally, we'd hold off until some testing's been done on these 'divine material' thingies. With any luck, we'll be able to duplicate the properties and either grant them directly to the bloodkin or give them reactions to forge similar weapons for themselves (gifts from the Old Gods or something?).

On the subject of the Bloodkin, if we do end up doing another Steelhold spinoff, would it be ok with people if we just make the bloodkin more dangerous directly rather than letting them convert dwarves? It just doesn't seem to tie in with the aims of any of their leaders at the moment; Shank wants to use dwarves as food, so making more bloodkin is counterproductive if they're nearly immortal anyway, Asmoth doesn't give a damn what they get up to, and Corley's doing whatever it is Corley's doing. None of them seem concerned with swelling the ranks of their armies all that much. Plus, a creature that uses magic to turn a dwarf into on of them every now and again just doesn't seem as frightening to me as a creature that uses magic to turn into a ten foot tall muderbeast.

danmanthedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1633 on: July 08, 2014, 07:58:00 pm »

I would like them to have a pet that is incredibly dangerous to any living thing. Also make megabeasts spawn a shit more for my character, also Flame write something about my soul gem gosh.

Code: [Select]
[CREATURE:MAGGOT_ACID]
[DESCRIPTION:A massive larva that is caustic to most living creatures.]
[NAME:acidic maggot:acidic maggots:acidic maggot]
[CASTE_NAME:acidic maggot:acidic maggots:acidic maggot]
[CREATURE_TILE:'{'][COLOR:7:0:1][ALTTILE:'}']
[PETVALUE:10]
[PET_EXOTIC]
[LARGE_ROAMING]
[BIOME:SUBTERRANEAN_CHASM]
[UNDERGROUND_DEPTH:2:3]
[CLUSTER_NUMBER:1:3]
[POPULATION_NUMBER:25:50]
[PREFSTRING:discomforting whirs]
[NOBONES]
[BODY:BODY_WITH_HEAD_FLAG:BASIC_FRONTLEGS:BASIC_REARLEGS:HEART:GUTS:BRAIN:MOUTH]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_MATERIALS]
[REMOVE_MATERIAL:HAIR]
[REMOVE_MATERIAL:BONE]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_TISSUES]
[REMOVE_TISSUE:HAIR]
[REMOVE_TISSUE:BONE]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:EXOSKELETON_TISSUE_LAYERS:SKIN:FAT:MUSCLE]
        [BODYGLOSS:TENT]
[HAS_NERVES]
[SPEED:2900]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:GOO:GOO_TEMPLATE]
[BLOOD:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:GOO:LIQUID]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:ACID:CREATURE_EXTRACT_TEMPLATE]
[STATE_NAME:ALL_SOLID:frozen maggot acid]
[STATE_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:frozen maggot acid]
[STATE_NAME:LIQUID:maggot acid]
[STATE_ADJ:LIQUID:maggot acid]
[STATE_NAME:GAS:boiling maggot acid]
[STATE_ADJ:GAS:boiling maggot acid]
[PREFIX:NONE]
[ENTERS_BLOOD]
[SYNDROME]
[SYN_NAME:maggot poisoning]
[SYN_AFFECTED_CLASS:GENERAL_POISON]
[SYN_IMMUNE_CREATURE:MAGGOT_ACID:ALL]
[SYN_INJECTED][SYN_INGESTED][SYN_CONTACT][SYN_INHALED]
[CE_NECROSIS:SEV:100:PROB:100:RESISTABLE:BP:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:ALL:START:0]
[CAN_DO_INTERACTION:MATERIAL_EMISSION]
[CDI:ADV_NAME:Breath acid]
[CDI:USAGE_HINT:ATTACK]
[CDI:BP_REQUIRED:BY_CATEGORY:MOUTH]
[CDI:MATERIAL:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:ACID:TRAILING_VAPOR_FLOW]
[CDI:TARGET:C:LINE_OF_SIGHT]
[CDI:TARGET_RANGE:C:5]
[CDI:MAX_TARGET_NUMBER:C:1]
[CDI:WAIT_PERIOD:50]
[BODY_SIZE:0:0:45000]
[BODY_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:LENGTH:90:95:98:100:102:105:110]
[ALL_ACTIVE]
[NO_DRINK][NO_EAT][NO_SLEEP]
[HOMEOTHERM:10067]
[SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:SKIN]
[TL_COLOR_MODIFIER:GRAY:1]
[TLCM_NOUN:skin:SINGULAR]

[BODYGLOSS:TENT:foot:tentacle:feet:tentacles]

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1634 on: July 08, 2014, 08:02:27 pm »

Danman, Flame can't do shamanic magic. And I didn't take your soul gems, only your book of forgotten beasts.
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 172