Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 172

Author Topic: Demongate: Wrapping up the Loose Ends.  (Read 672844 times)

danmanthedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Demongate: Main Character Deaths Make Good Storylines!
« Reply #1770 on: July 30, 2014, 07:30:18 am »

Damm thought dragon fire would be enough... At least it killed the elven bastards.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1771 on: July 30, 2014, 05:30:27 pm »

Part III: Fire in the Depths

To Duke Vladimir Uristovich von Demongate,

Increased violence and warfare in the southern part of the continent has reduced it to a complete wasteland. Capital has been moved to Demongate to allow refocus of military forces.

Signed,
Queen Datan

"There's no question about it, the handwriting and seal match all records. On my honor as a scribe of the Order, this is indeed a message from the queen," concluded Tarmid.

"Certainly a dwarf of brevity, ain't she?" remarked Torvald.

"Vhy vas this message relayed by random migrant? Vhy isn't queen here now?" questioned Vlad.

"It would seem that she has not yet arrived. Nevertheless, we are indeed now the capital of The First Iron, and the fortress must therefore be kept secure for the safety of the civilization. Do you understand this Torvald?"

"Yessir."

"Very vell, dismissed."

"Oi! did you hear? The lass on the crossbow sqaud just had a baby!"

"Really now, ain't that something?"

"I'll say. 'tis the miracle of birth."

"Now Miss Thane, I just don't see how this is anything but economically feasible."

"Completion of the structure would be a waste of precious resources, and it does nothing to benefit the fortress."

"Ain't it a shame the the new captial won't have a nice castle to impress the visitors?"

"Castle Helgarde is a pile of old stones; always was and always will be. Just look at it! Honestly look at it and tell me if you can imagine anything of worth coming out of——"

Thane's sentence was left unfinished, for she was interrupted by a horrified peasant that came rushing out of the fortress' entrance towards the two of them.

"What's going on!" she demanded.

"It's Neca!" the peasant cried. "The monster that was lurking in the waters near the Miner's Guild has finally emerged!

"It's right by the Guild, near the adamantine pillar! Ilral tried to hold him off, but he was just one dwarf, and he—he——"

"——died, just as all heroes do. I will take my squad and finish what Ilral started. As for the both of you: get back to work."

Neca was waiting, injured, in the torched depths of the earth for more challengers. It soon learned, however, that the soldiers of Demongate were just as ferocious as it. It did not have even time to breathe its fire before Thane and her troops tore the beast asunder.

Tarmid tapped his quill quizically against his beard. "Torvald, why did you replace the head broker with the one called FractalEntity?"

"I thought that it would be the best way for to help him recuperate from his recent injuries."

"That trader and you have cost the fortress adamantine is your joint errors. If the upcoming trade with the elves goes wrong, we can assure you that FractalEntity shan't be the only one to be beaten."

"I understand, Mister Tarmid."

"Leave us."

"Fractal?"

"Ah, hello overseer. Thank you very much for the promotion."

"You're welcome, though I'd like to ask a favor of you."

"What?"

"Join me for a meeting sometime, I'll send for you whenever I'm ready."
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

danmanthedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1772 on: July 30, 2014, 06:14:01 pm »

Whelp screw this I am just done. So I will be living under a rock lurching intill I stop laughing.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1773 on: July 30, 2014, 06:26:34 pm »

FALLENANGEL BECOMES MORE CRAZY WITH TIME
TIME IS SLIPPING
THE WORLD IS BURNING
RUN

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1774 on: July 31, 2014, 08:04:27 pm »

Part IV: Don't Be a Hero

The farmer stumbled out of the workshop, dazed as if just aroused from sleep. He had sealed himself away earlier that month, possessed by an unknown force and filled with a drive to create. With the materials he used, he created an artifact of mighty craftsdwarfship, worthy of Demongate's name. Unfortunately, no-one in the fortress had any legitimate use for this artifact, as it was just an amulet.

"Overseer! A group of migrants has just come within range of the fortress. What do you wish to do with them?"

"I'll have them assigned to masonry and engravings. There ain't enough workers in those fields to refurbish the Miner's Guild after that beast attack before next year. These new workers sure are a welcome asset, and they'll free up some other workers to make those windows that the duke is always mandating."

Torvald stood in the deepest section of the fortress, looking at the mysterious structure in front of him. In his hand was a small ledger on which he kept detailed notes on spears, mechanisms, mine-carts, and traps. Above him, workers toiled vigorously, smoothing rock surfaces, building bridges, and carving tracks into the ground. He walked into the structure itself and began to examine the upright spears that lined the hallways. Many of them still did not have any mechanisms attached, and would therefore be useless in the event of an emergency. Torvald began to take notes on the situation, but he was interrupted by a sudden voice coming from behind him.

"Working on something, Torvald?" the voice asked.

Torvald dropped his notes and pen and spun to face the new dwarf. He saw the familiar face of one from Evening Prayer Group, and in his hand was a crossbow pointed right at Torvald.

"Mister Tarmid!" cried Torvald, "this is certainly a surprise!"

"What are you doing in here?" he asked bluntly.

"Just wanted to see how the traps were going with my own eyes."

Tarmid began to relax and lowered his crossbow.

"You really shouldn't be wandering down here without the committee's approval, and why exactly are you so concerned about the traps?"

"Just felt like there must be something pretty dangerous down here with so many traps."

"The traps are to keep it secure from beasts and invaders, nothing more and nothing less. I would rather that you not wander about in here. Also, why have you authorized work in the old Miner's Guild."

"Well sir, seeing as the Miner's Guild is now inactive, I have decided to refurbish the old base to form my own company: DWEORH. I've begun setting some track to connect my headquarters to the fortress proper, so that it'll be easier to move mechanisms and weapons to the traps."

"Torvald, I will not stop you from placing more traps. I do, however, have an issue of you being in this structure without our approval. I'm going to be placing some restrictions on where you're to be, and until further notice the committee will have you more closely monitored."

"I'm afraid that I just don't——"

"You don't need to understand or to like this, but it's just something you're going to have to deal with."

Tarmid paused for a moment, then added: "Your sister was a good dwarf, but she was careless, and that ended in her death. We act for your safety as well as the safety of the fortress. Good day."

"Vlad! the human law-giver is here!"

"Ugh! Is it another one of the veird fish-monsters?"

"Looks like an ordinary woman from here."

"Vell, fine! Just don't expect Vlad to put on nice suit or anything."

The goblin war-cries could be heard from the hill near the fortress. Just a small squad of mace-wielding goblins, led by one with a crossbow; no problem for Demongate.

"All right lads!" yelled Thane to her squad. "We'll show these bastards a proper welcome!"

She and her squad rushed out of the fortress and up to the hill, where their enemies were busying themselves with the torture of a nearby cat. Thane ran ahead of the rest of the squad, her mighty hammer in her hand.

"Oi! captain! Wait up for the rest of us!" cried the rest of her squad, but they could not calm her blood-lust. When she reached the hill, the goblin leader had already seen her coming. With a cruel grin, he aimed his crossbow, and let loose the quarrel. Thane could see it coming as she reached out to swat it. She watched it as it passed beneath her hand and plunged into the flesh and muscle of her leg. She let out a shriek of pain as she collapsed to the ground, no longer able to stand.

The goblins began to strike at the crippled dwarf, but she refused to be struck by their blows. She dodged, blocked, and fought back with fury. When the rest of her squad arrived, the goblins were already too focused on Thane to notice. Every goblin lost his life during the ensuing battle.

Torvald watched as a fisherdwarf carried the captain down from the hill on his back. He smirked slightly and muttered to himself: "That's what you get for acting like a hero."

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #1775 on: August 01, 2014, 01:11:07 am »

Do I sense forshadowing for Gnorm randomly deciding to unleash the HFS again? I think I do.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1776 on: August 01, 2014, 05:05:28 am »

Well, with any luck the spears will kill the first two or three demons out. Then the dwarf pulling the level will, of course, decide to go on break and the main force will come through the caves and murder us all.

PS: Any nerve damage on Thane, or is it just a broken bone?
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

danmanthedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1777 on: August 01, 2014, 07:58:58 am »

Well, with any luck the spears will kill the first two or three demons out. Then the dwarf pulling the level will, of course, decide to go on break and the main force will come through the caves and murder us all.

PS: Any nerve damage on Thane, or is it just a broken bone?
Do the demons destory doors like butter, or does it take them a few seconds?

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1778 on: August 01, 2014, 09:25:19 am »

We could also set up a system that makes fighting demons slightly less insane without being cheaty.
Two drawbridges.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1779 on: August 01, 2014, 09:36:36 am »

I think it takes demons the normal amount of time to break a door. If we had any artefact ones, they'd be indestructible, but our dwarves really seem to like amulets and crowns, I guess.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1780 on: August 01, 2014, 06:44:46 pm »

Part V: The Messenger

"No, ve really don't have "much to discuss."

"I beg your pardon."

"You heard Vlad, you have no reason to be here. You are interruptingk training session."

"Erm.

"Leave! or I vill be cuttingk you!"

Two dwarves watched Torvald closely whilst he sat quietly by the adamantine pillar. Although they were only just out of his sight, he didn't notice anyone else, for at that moment he was absorbed in the book in his hands.

"What's he up to?" asked one.

"Nothing. He's just reading his sister's journal."

"That seems a little odd, don't you think? Isn't that book a little private?"

"Well, she is dead. The lad probably just wants to know what her life was like here."

"I wouldn't really peg him as the sentimental type; he seems all business to me."

"He certainly isn't much like Gnora. He actually told the broker to buy out the humans of their liquor."

"Never would have expected that from her brother. Wonder why the Prayer Group wanted us to keep an eye on him."

"Can't say I've seen him do anything that suspicious."

"Guess they'll have to settle with a boring report."

Thane was finally discharged from the hospital around mid-autumn. Her spirit was unbroken, but the bolt left damage to the nerves in her right leg that could not be fixed by any doctor. One of her legs useless to her, she left the hospital with a crutch that she would carry with her for the rest of her life.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1781 on: August 01, 2014, 06:59:02 pm »

She'll be fine. Ulborb, one of the most powerful members of Murdermachines's military, is crippled too.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1783 on: August 01, 2014, 07:29:45 pm »

Legs are for cowards.
Someone change the title to this.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
Re: Demongate: Legs are for Cowards.
« Reply #1784 on: August 02, 2014, 07:21:39 am »

As long as she can still hold a shield and hammer as well as the crutch it should be fine.

Gnorm, can you check if I've missed anyone on the alive/dead list in the second post?
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 172