Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 172

Author Topic: Demongate: Wrapping up the Loose Ends.  (Read 665377 times)

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
Re: Demongate: Legs are for Cowards.
« Reply #1815 on: August 06, 2014, 05:12:27 pm »

I'll check if Peregarett is still interested in taking a turn then.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1816 on: August 06, 2014, 08:36:29 pm »

Part XI: Her (End of Obsidian, Third Scene)

Corley sat down in the unused wing that he had been inhabiting recently. His pen in his hand, he began a new entry in his journal.

Of all the bizarre and horrible crimes against Dwarfkind that my family has committed, there is one that stands out. To this day, I still shudder to recall the details of my grand-aunts work. I find myself unable to muster the same level of judgement even towards the bloodkin, my father's Day of Reckoning, or the M.A.S.K. project. In retrospect, I see myself as quite foolish for not being frightened at its implications and existance when she was alive. I am writing of my grand-aunt's clone: Melek.

I can recall my shock when I read through my father's papers, for I certainly did not expect to discover that my own cousin was a clone. Why, she was one of the few in my life for whom I had dear love, and she was not even a dwarf! At the time, I was certainly in denial about the issue, and confronted neither her nor her mad creator. I was afraid to face anyone at all, and I tried my very best to forget. Soon after she was killed by my folly, I succeeded, and her memory and that of her origin were forgotten.

About one hundred years after the fall of Steelhold, as my bloodkin forces ravaged the Elvish lands, I did chance to look over my old writings that I had kept as I was fleeing the prison's destruction. Amongst these were the papers detailing Melek's origin. It was then that I began to consider the implications of this crime. As she developed, Melek began to develop the same behaviors of her creator. She operated on dwarves, she performed tests and experiments, and the resemblance to Asmoth was undeniable. If the circumstances in Steelhold had turned out differently—say, Asmoth were to die in place of Melek—the clone would effectively be able to continue the creator's legacy.

At the time, I was still quite eager to bring ruin to all of the elves that I could find. This newfound realization made me strongly consider making a clone of myself! What if I were to be killed in some freak accident? I would need a successor to carry out my mission. I was foolish then, but it certainly made sense to me.

Thus, I began to study my father's notes and to experiment in the dark science even further. I had very few intelligent bloodkin under my command at that point in time—it was before I joined up with the other two and obtained the more intelligent ones—so most of the work was done on my own. When I finally created something that began to develop into a living creature, I was overjoyed. This gaiety was short-lived, unfortunately, for the creature was hardly stable and died within minutes. I felt a twinge of the doubt that I now feel everyday, and I abandoned the project for many years.

Much later, when talk of invading the Mainland became more frequent, I began to turn—once again—to the dark sciences. At this point, I had the thaumateurges to assist me, for whilst not sane, they're certainly more capable than the ordinary bloodkin. Before I left, I gave those in my fortress my research notes and a few blood and skin samples, telling them to do what they could. I left them there, and began my journey into the Mainland where I would be defeated and placed into a sleep that lasted my ages.

When I returned to the bloodkin fortress not too long ago, one of the messages that was relayed to me was from my workers. At the time, I was too frightened to write it down, but I have now gained the courage to do so. I was told that there was a break-through in the cloning research whilst I was asleep, and that they would be able to make me a clone from samples that they then requested. Whilst I am shamed to admit it, I abliged, and they went on to do the work that I hated.

The clone is not a vampire; apparently they have a way of removing it from the cell samples, as it causes complications. It has been artificially aged by some means, and its developed mind was able to be taught the basics of survival with little trouble. There is a slight issue of the loss of early memories, due mostly to the artificial aging, but that is of little concern. I had it sent to the Mainland, in order that it may assist in my work.

If she even had a soul, and if she even made it to Heaven, I'll bet she laughs at me. I so readily partake in that which I hate.
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1817 on: August 06, 2014, 09:04:30 pm »

From the engravings of FallenAngel Whotheheckknows, Legendary+Somenumber Bodysurfer

While wandering the fortress, I saw some sort of ...thing. I don't know how to describe it. In the very fabric of spacetime itself, there was a large corruption around the shell of what seemed to be a humanoid. Either the alcohol here is drugged, or I haven't been told the whole story...
I'll have to temporarily release myself from this body and ask the denizens of the past. I have left a note on who I assume to be the current overseer's door saying to not look for me and to not question why I'm hauling alcohol to my quarters. To any who read this, either minutes from now or millennia from now, I have to tell you something very important that is overlooked by most dwarves. Most people don't bother to question why dwarves bother drinking so much alcohol. It's not because they're in a state of anti-drunkenness. Dwarves actually have a very short lifespan without alcohol - between 40 and 60 years. They are also dramatically slower without it. Alcohol has life-extending properties. When continually ingested from birth to death, it extends the lifespan of creatures whose bodies are adapted to it, while having a net effect of zero on the bodies of those who aren't. However, when a recently deceased body is put in a large quantity of well-brewed alcohol, it prevents any and all decay of the body.
I plan to abuse that to keep myself alive without a soul, so my body is fresh when I return. I must find the cause of this anomaly.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1818 on: August 06, 2014, 09:39:26 pm »

Part XII: Take Care of Yourselves (End of Obsidian, Fourth Scene)

"Well Torvald, it has certainly been an interesting year," began Tarmid. "Although there were events that transpired which I wish never did, you cannot change the past. Furthermore, I see no purpose in punishing you for events beyond your control. We had a deal, and you fulfilled your end of the bargain. We will see about getting your sister's remains transported at once."

"Ya'll are too kind," said Torvald, "but ya'll don't have to prepare that hearse too quickly."

"Really? Why is that?"

"This fortress is too busy at the moment. Ya'll can just wait until everything has simmered down a little before you take my sister away."

"Well, all right. Though, as is customary, you are to select your successor. Whom do you have in mind?"

"I choose . . ."

SAVE

Certain things of note:
  • Military could use full reorganization
  • Mine cart tracks need to be finished to connect the main fortress to the DWEORH headquarters
  • I'm almost positive that FallenAngel III is dead
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #1819 on: August 06, 2014, 11:09:09 pm »

No, skip me. I'm completely in the new version.
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Rhaken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1820 on: August 06, 2014, 11:27:06 pm »

Nice narrative, Gnorm. I did NOT see that coming.

Neat facts:

Thane's leg seems to have wholly recovered. She can walk without a crutch now. On a whole 'nother note, she has achieved "doesn't really care about anything anymore", so I guess our portrayal of her is quite accurate at this point.

Flame is the nicest demon ever. She likes feeding the injured.

Torvald has 3 pet cats. I knew he was insane.

Our resident FractalEntity is married, with 3 kids.

Tarmid has finally made a friend: four-year-old Dishmab Zokunzaneg. He also lost his pet bunny this year. Gnorm you monster!

"Sir Brenzen Zonazin Akestidek Shin has been ecstatic lately. He was witnessed death."

We have no less than 4 weapons that have grown to earn their own names:

• Shadmalthak (Confusedlocks), Thanatos's sword, with 26 kills at his hands, two of them forgotten beasts;
  • Udeshkurol (Skinnedembraced), Sir Brenzen's mighty pick, 30 kills, among them a forgotten beast;
  • Shetbęthmostod (Twinklingshamed), the mace that slew the forgotten beast Gugol Bitecavern, currently languishing in the weapon stockpile, its original owner deceased;
  • Lertethnal Lanzildák (Tanglehours the Venerable Tree), an iron spear of unknown origin with 22 kills at the hands of Sibrek Boatsunk, including a forgotten beast and a roc;
  • And of course, the mighty Ob Kat (The Tar of Goals), wielded by Thane, with 24 kills, one of them a forgotten beast.

While I'm here, might as well go over those dwarves among us who were badass enough to earn titles.

• Thane Logemokol Lelgasthun Ubas - Thane Paintedvoices the Lush Dominion of Screams
    (Creepy...)
  • Sir Brenzen Zonazin Akestidek Shin - Sir Brenzen Helmwatch the Dominant Brain of Brightness
    (Helmbrains?)
  • Sibrek Koganrungak Letmosshadmal Ikal - Sibrek Boatsunk the Cobalt Confusion of Healing
    (and Legendary Drug Dealer!)
  • Meng Ustuthgikut Regram - Meng Fenceddabbles the Gloved Prison
    (The whatnow)
  • Sibrek Ashoktosid Idathvagush - Sibrek Timearmors the Amusing Killer
    (Amusing how, exactly?)
  • Burto Kikrosttir Črithziril Dodók - Burto Stockademerged the Laborious Fire of Clasps
    (Laborious fires are bad for your health)
  • Ustuth Musodvutok Ozonfimshel Erush - Ustuth Chastefigures the Depressed Persuader of Handles
    (Sad handjob?)
  • Kadol Dalzatdeduk Akuthakim - Kadol Matchmanors the Sullen Brilliances
    (Sudden Brilliances sounds better, methinks)
  • Thanatos Cattenvathsith Taremavum Omshit - Thanatos Channelsquare the Fated Culmination of Suffering
    (Suffering = Omshit)

And with that, I'm off until monday. Cheers!
Of course, he may have simply crushed the forgotten beasts with his massive testicles.

Forget a spouse, he needs a full time gonad wrangler.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #1821 on: August 07, 2014, 04:44:45 am »

...but I DO LIKE the drinks supplies you made there!  :D :D :D
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #1822 on: August 07, 2014, 05:30:02 am »

New entry for one blood-stained ghostly diary

"It was a long time indeed. Living once again, walking amongst my kin, watching them feast, fight and lose their lives... Just like it was long ago, down below and up on sandy beach, awash with cold, unforgiving ocean. Yeah... The plan that took me so long to finally bear fruit, was finally proven to be futile. I could live once again no more. First few years after possession were quite enjoyable, with constant struggle for dominance, I admit. But after that... My powers slowly vanished without a trace, leaving myself a mere spectator, unable not only to take part, but even to write down what was happening. Apparently, poor Lokast lost the interest in his life-long work too, preoccupied with servitude to the fortress - especially that it already had its own historian...

Now, with his death, I'm free to walk this lands once more, silent witness to the events that shake supporting pillars of earth and dwarvenkind. Nor living, nor dead. Eternal scribe for those long gone from this world and those who still walk the ground...

((Thanks to everyone. You have once again weaved an awe-inspiring story... Now to check Wiki.))
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 05:32:05 am by Sarrak »
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1823 on: August 07, 2014, 07:10:50 am »

I guess that makes it FallenAngel's turn again, then.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1824 on: August 07, 2014, 07:54:32 am »

asdf I finally got to doing my turn at Urorilar I'll just have two DF windows open not much will happen in either
ngheruighrugrhgrie

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1825 on: August 07, 2014, 08:04:37 am »

asdf I finally got to doing my turn at Urorilar I'll just have two DF windows open not much will happen in either
ngheruighrugrhgrie
The exact same thing happened to me with the same two fortresses. Feel free to wait on Urorurilar, we've waited a while and we can wait some more. Give us a little update, though.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1826 on: August 07, 2014, 08:52:29 am »

ngheruighrugrhgrie
The exact same thing happened to me with the same two fortresses. Feel free to wait on Urorurilar, we've waited a while and we can wait some more. Give us a little update, though.
Alright. Just so you know, the lag at Urorurilar is so bad it's still mid-Spring, and I even upped the speed a couple times.

EDIT: Playing Demongate.
Who removed the walls to the dam?

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1827 on: August 07, 2014, 11:07:28 am »

Me. I was worried trolls would deconstruct the bridge if we got a siege, plus it looked weird.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1828 on: August 07, 2014, 02:47:25 pm »

A fun thing happened.
Besmar Érithfikod, a ranger, was the first to witness Besmar Kadoltegir, a ghostly merchant.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #1829 on: August 07, 2014, 04:35:55 pm »

Can I get redwarfed as our local local legendary speardwarf/drug dealer? Rename to Beef Vanderhuge. He's going to develop some interesting schitzophrenia if I get a chance to sit down and write again before the fort falls... I've got about 3 more weeks till I can get really back into the internet.
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 172