Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 172

Author Topic: Demongate: Wrapping up the Loose Ends.  (Read 671131 times)

Rhaken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Demongate: Legs are for Cowards.
« Reply #2040 on: September 13, 2014, 07:46:35 pm »

Another day, another pile of schematics. Tarmid's desk was covered in diagrams that had been copied but a few times over the course of centuries, the original locked away in a hidden vault at the Keep of Saint Zane. On the floor was a jumbled heap of assorted mechanical components, each a different size and shape. Tarmid sifted through the mess, once again lost in the instructions. How hard could it be to replicate machinery from seven centuries ago?

A brisk knock at the door, followed by a call. It was Sir Brenzen. Tarmid welcomed him in without so much as a thought toward hiding his work. The High Magebane refused Tarmid's offer of a seat and stood near the desk, arms folded across his chest. He looked restless, agitated.

"We need to talk, Tarmid. Right now, if possible." His voice sounded hoarse. If Tarmid didn't know better, he'd say Brenzen was scared.

"Very well," he replied. "I'm all ears."

The knight hesitated. An unusual behavior for him. Tarmid took a moment to notice the dark circles under his friend's eyes. Something had to be amiss. Even in sleep, Brenzen was known to be meticulously disciplined.

"What are you working on?" Dodging the issue too. Something had to be amiss.

"A vampire detector, based on the same principles as the thaumometer. Not sure it'll work though." Tarmid let the tension build for a moment before continuing. "What's on your mind, Sir Brenzen?"

Brenzen's thick shoulders slumped. Then he told Tarmid about the dream, the the invasion, and the mysterious voice that had tried to tempt him. Merely telling the tale seemed to be taking the wind out of the knight, and he almost looked older when he was done. Tarmid remained silent for a few moments, thoughts racing in his head, trying to connect the dots and complete the picture.

"Well, I could say it's just a dream and nothing to worry about," said Tarmid, in his most convincing Cornelius impression. "But nothing is that simple around here anymore, is it?"

From within his robes, Tarmid produced the thaumometer. Admittedly, he had never tested the device on Brenzen before. He brought the device toward the knight, filled with apprehension. What if the voice in the dream was right? What would they do if it turned out that Brenzen was highly attuned to thaumic forces? Tarmid had done enough reading to know that, if nothing else, the Order was right about thaumaturgy. It was a force best left alone. Any being who dabbled in it became eventually twisted by it, and ever starving for more. It made gypsum addicts look like functional members of society. Fikod Trumpettrammel was proof of this.

Tarmid approached Sir Brenzen with the device. His heart rate was rising. Within moments, the wood opal would flash, and Tarmid would be lost as to what to do. How could he keep the knight from falling to temptation? Or even keep him safe from the darker forces of the world, who would be drawn to him as moths to flame? His hand approached the knight's chest.

Nothing. Tarmid's trepidation was quickly replaced by a sense of relief. He let himself sigh.

"You see? Just a dream. Nothing to worry abo- oh my."

The gemstone began to glow. The green glass reader started to climb, from an initial zero thaum, up to ten, through twenty, ending at a worrying fifty-six thaum. The wood opal had begun to hum, a low whining noise. Before Tarmid could grasp the significance of this, the glow and hum began to peter out, and the thaumic reader shot back down to zero as quickly as it had climbed.

Tarmid was thoroughly confused.

"What do you suppose that was?"

"I was hoping you could tell me," said Brenzen, doing his best to come off as unfazed.

"I haven't a clue," said Tarmid. "I suppose that's more research that needs to be done."

"There's more," said Brenzen, sounding more like his old, no-nonsense self. The knight stared knives into Tarmid. "That... thing. Whatever it was. It said the Order was lying to me. What do you make of that?"

"Oh dear." Tarmid sighed. "I was hoping it wouldn't come to this."

"You knew about this?" Brenzen nearly flew off the handle. "Why didn't you tell me? By the Saints, Tarmid, I thought I could trust you to be truthful with me."

"And I am."

"Then why lie to me, dammit?" That may have been the first time Tarmid had heard Brenzen curse.

"I didn't lie, Sir Brenzen. Not once." Tarmid cut Brenzen's reply off with a masterful teacher's glare. "If anything, I withheld information."

"But why?"

"Because I didn't know."

Sir Brenzen was taken aback at that. Tarmid could understand why. One would stand to reason that the Scribes would know the truth, but the Order kept the truth sealed in a vault beneath their headquarters. Most scribes only saw the censored, adultered version of history, the darkest details filtered out to keep the faithful from faltering.

"It was only when I became Loremaster that I had access to the truth. Or anything resembling the truth, I must say. Yes, the Order lied to us, to all of us. Probably since the very beginning, but I can't be certain."

"Alright, so the Order lied to us," Brenzen said at length. "But why?"

"Where do I begin?" Tarmid sighed. "The simpler facts, I suppose. Our Saints were not exactly examples to dwarven society. Saint Jackal was a guardsdwarf sent to the desert to found a penal colony. Saint Modi wasn't initially Saint Jackal's wife, but a prisoner sentenced for murder who ended up seducing him. Saint Rhaken was a spymaster for the old kingdom and a criminal warlord later in life. Saint Zane was one of his agents. Saint Emdief was an exiled engineer from their Mountainhomes, who came back to life as a woman at the hands of the Fractaldwarf. And Karius Durtis, who mentored Urist McKnight in the years preceding the Migration, was directly responsible for the start of the fall of Steelhold. The majority of the populace had been converted to vampirism, and Karius had them trapped in the deeps and incinerated in a flood of magma before escaping to the surface to chase the Masked One." Tarmid paused for breath. "Shall I continue?"

"Wait." Brenzen was shocked. It looked as if his life had been uprooted and he hadn't the slightest clue what to make of what was left. "Why would the Order lie to us like that? Why keep the truth hidden?"

"If you weren't born into the Order, would you have joined knowing it was founded on the teachings of criminals of the Old World?" Much as he hated to admit it, Tarmid could see the point to the lies. "The Order needed all the numbers they could get, and it's far easier to recruit the young and righteous if they believe they are serving a higher cause, a holy cause. Hence the lie."

Brenzen's icy eyes fell toward the floor as he took it all in. It was only after several moments of contemplating his own navel that the knight chose to speak again.

"You mentioned a Fractaldwarf."

"Yes."

"Our broker is called Fractaldwarf."

"I am aware of that."

"Could it be the same one?"

"After all we've seen in this place, I am all but certain of it."

"Have you spoken to him? It? Something?"

"No. And I would be far more inclined to, if he wasn't described by all counts as a certifiable lunatic."

Brenzen returned to contemplating his navel. He looked for all the world like a dwarf on the verge of melancholy.

"What other lies have we been led to believe?"

"Mostly little things. There are multiple inconsistencies in our records, which leads me to believe we lost sizeable forces at some point without anyone but the higher-ups knowing where they ended up or why. The rest is mostly a number of things that would shake the faith of the most zealous of Knights."

"Such as?"

"I'd rather not be the one responsible for breaking your will, Sir Brenzen," Tarmid replied. "But if you must know, the Apocrypha is full of dark revelations. A good deal of it is nothing more than conjecture and madness, but underneath that..."

"It makes perfect sense?" Brenzen finished for him.

"Yes."

Brenzen scowled.

"I must know, Tarmid."

"Are you adamant about this?"

"Yes. No more lies, no more censoring. I must know."

"Very well." Tarmid went to the back of the room and procured a heavy granite box, its surface engraved in the most intricate scrollwork. The bas-relief in the stone seemed to shift in the flickering candlelight, and in that shifting, Brenzen could swear he saw his nightmares beckoning him.

Tarmid brought the stone box toward Brenzen. The knight reached out to touch it, going against his instinctive revulsion. Tarmid pulled it out of his reach at the last moment.

"Sir Brenzen." He sounded stern. "Whatever you discover when you read this, do not let your faith falter. Lies or no lies, the Saints do watch over us. Of this I am certain."

"How can you know?"

"I just do." They left it at that.

"What do you suppose spoke to me then? In my dream?" Brenzen sounded uncertain, apprehensive.

"I've no idea," Tarmid replied. "But I can guarantee you that it wasn't an ally. Do not fall for its wiles, Sir Brenzen. Magic corrupts. We have seen this with our own eyes. It was your skill, not magic, that has kept you safe. Remember this. Even Armok's champions were not invincible."

"I know, Loremaster," Brenzen said, though he did not sound fully convinced. Tarmid would have to keep an eye on him. "Speaking of magic, what do we do about the Thane situation?"

"For once, I haven't a clue," Tarmid replied. "I suppose we monitor her for now."

"Very well. I'll keep an eye open in the barracks."

"Certainly. And I trust I don't have to remind you to keep that book safe?"

"No eyes but mine will see its pages."

"See to that."

They parted ways then, Loremaster and High Magebane. Once Brenzen was gone, Tarmid eyed the pile of machinery he had been working on. His motivation to pursue that particular line of work had gone down the drain. He had other worries now. He would have to keep a close eye on both Thane and Sir Brenzen, but had no idea how to do it. And he certainly didn't want to invade their privacy. They were his friends, his only friends in the world at this point.

Tarmid knelt before his desk, breathing deeply of the faint scent of book and candle. Then he shut his deep blue eyes and prayed. For Armok knew how long, he prayed, ardent as never before, seeking guidance more than solace. His eyes flew open at the end, and for a moment, he could swear he heard a faint voice, the gruff, rumbling tone of age, whispering to him.

"I hear you," said the voice. Tarmid was sure he imagined it. "I hear you and watch over you."

It had to be his imagination. Gods and Saints weren't known for being talkative to the faithful except in the most dire situations. And things in Demongate couldn't have reached that point already.

Could they?

Tarmid rose gingerly to his feet and walked to one of his bookcases, intent on distracting his mind with some reading. His fingers brushed the spines of many tomes before he settled on
The Witch-Hunter's Primer, a centuries-old volume detailing long-outdated methods for locating and taking down practitioners of thaumaturgy. A few hours and many pages later, a strange drawing caught his eye.

A blade of steel and wood opal.
Of course, he may have simply crushed the forgotten beasts with his massive testicles.

Forget a spouse, he needs a full time gonad wrangler.

Rhaken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2041 on: September 13, 2014, 07:47:41 pm »

Goddamn. Pardon the delay. I was thrown a curve ball this week.
Of course, he may have simply crushed the forgotten beasts with his massive testicles.

Forget a spouse, he needs a full time gonad wrangler.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2042 on: September 13, 2014, 08:22:09 pm »

Goddamn. Pardon the delay. I was thrown a curve ball this week.
No worries Rhaken, I see you are as skilled as ever in your writing.

Sir Brenzen returned to his quarters swiftly, head down, not looking at other dwarves around him.  A few looked at him curiously, but most stayed out of his way.  He quickly locked his door, then unlocked the three locks on the top drawer of his desk.  With methodical movements, he placed the tome in his desk and locked it there.  He slumped down onto his bed, and the memories washed over him.

Brenzen ran for the woods, not looking back.  Behind him, he heard the sounds of his parents yelling, then a scream.  He looked behind him to see his father falling over, his head cleanly severed by the blade.  The cloaked figure turned, throwing the blade out towards his mother, and Brenzen saw that the blade was made of a strange black iron.  The blade sunk straight into his mother's heart, then at a motion from the figure flew back into the cloaked man's grasp.  His mother slumped to the ground, the life bleeding from her body, as Brenzen watched in shock.  His parents... the greatest warriors on this side of the continent... dead...
The figure turned, straight towards Brenzen, and suddenly all his fear fell away.  Why should he be afraid?  This person couldn't possibly want to hurt him.

The figure began moving forward, walking rapidly this time, approaching the motionless dwarf child.  Beneath the cloak, it smiled: this was too easy.  The minds of mortals were easily clouded, easily fooled.  This one would make a fine apprentice when he grew up.  It could sense the power coming off of him, but...
The figure stopped.  There was something wrong.  The power was gone.  As soon as he stopped, the dwarven child let out a cry of panic and ran away, off into the woods.
But how was that possible.  The energy couldn't just disappear like that.  It had spent far too long seeking the source of the power to be mistaken.  It had to be here.

Brenzen watched the figure come closer, a peaceful look on his face.  But there was something... something... something wrong.  He frowned, struggling to remember.  It was just out of reach, but he knew... something.
"Run, fool" he heard a gruff voice whisper, and suddenly he remembered.  The thing in front of him had killed his parents.  He cried out and fled, running off into the woods.  Behind him, he heard the footsteps come to a halt, but he kept running... and running... and running...

Sir Brenzen stood slowly, picking up his great pickaxe and walking out the door.  It was time to train, whether his heart was in it or not, and he had promised Tarmid to keep an eye on Thane.  On the way out, he hesitated, then retrieved the tome and placed it securely within his armor, out of sight.  It would hamper his movement slightly, but that was far better than having it fall into the wrong hands.

danmanthedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2043 on: September 13, 2014, 09:50:18 pm »

How is my babies?

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2044 on: September 13, 2014, 10:01:04 pm »

"So what has the year 665 brought?"

"Nothing of moment, really."

"Tell me anyway. I'm a curious sort of dwarf."

Leopold and Corley sat in DWEORH's conference room. The year 666 had just begun, and the two had taken the opportunity to meet whilst the fortress was caught up in the commotion of the annual overseer-swap. The door had been locked, but neither creature was concerned about being interrupted; their enemies hadn't made any moves on either of them yet.

"Well," began Leopold, "there was the usual sort of thing. Goblins, monsters, artifacts, elves. Everything that a Dwarven fortress can expect to encounter on a yearly basis."

"And what about you?" inquired Corley.

"Me? I haven't been able to work on my own projects at all lately. With the duke gone, it seems that the monk was willing to invite me to the Evening Prayers for my input, keeping me busy. As for the monk himself, he didn't seem to have any interest in building DWEORH's headquarters or finishing the mine cart tracks."

"So you are actually a member of the committee now?"

"I can't really say for certain. I'm certainly attending some of the meetings, but I think that the only reason for that I was there last year was because of the monk; he was the only one that seemed to almost trust me. With the knight as the new overseer, time will tell if I'm ever allowed back inside."

"Did you discover anything whilst inside?"

"Nothing. They may have a reputation amongst the peasants that'll whisper conspiracy theories in the dining hall, but they're really just a bunch of drunken bastards who'll debate over how to kill elven traders—or the more notable members were just holding their tongues with me present."

"That's disappointing."

"Yes." Leopold leaned forward in his chair. He was getting tired of discussing such pedestrian matters with—of all people—the Father. What he wanted were answers, answers to the questions that had been troubling him. Perhaps Corley had answers?

"May I ask you something Father?" he asked, though to Corley it seemed as if he was sighing.

"Ask away," Corley responded. Leopold thought that he sensed a twinge of suspicion in his voice. It was very slight, but there nonetheless.

"What was I doing before our partnership?"

"What exactly do you mean?"

"I mean—pardon me for my faulty memory—I can't really recall what anything about my life before meeting you. Do you know anything about me?"

Corley paused for a long time. Leopold couldn't quite figure out what his facial expressions were; confusion? anger? agitation? Whatever Corley was feeling, Leopold could tell that he was not pleased with the question. After almost a minute, Corley finally made his response.

"How the Hell should I know," he asked in an incredibly nonchalant tone.

Leopold felt as if he had just hit a stone wall. The only dwarf—or dwarf-esque creature—in the fortress that might have known anything either did not or was not going to tell him. It seemed as if he was never going to learn. Stil, there was another question he had that the Father had to know the answer to.

"Do you have any more questions?" asked Corley, though his tone indicated that he didn't really want to hear any more; Leopold was undeterred by this.

"Yes. What does your scroll say?"

Corley seemed to relax entirely, losing all the agitation that he had just a moment before.

"Why don't you check the local library?" he asked with a smug grin.

Leopold could not help but laugh. "That so-called 'school-house' or 'library' is a wreck. I hear that it was somewhat popular in its early days, when peasants would go there to study and classes were actually taught. But after a few years, the people lost interest, and likewise, the teachers stopped caring as well. Even if it was still active, I doubt that it would have a copy of your scroll just sitting there for any peasant to read."

"Correct. I doubt that even that Tarmid has even heard of it, let alone read it. After all, he's only a—exactly what rank is he?"

"I believe he calls himself 'Loremaster.'"

Corley shrugged. "Maybe he's heard of it, but I expect that a copy of the scroll would be something they would lock away if they had one." Corley reached into his coat pocket and withdrew a tattered piece of parchment. Leopold was sure that it was at least one thousand years old, if not older that that.

"This happens to be an original, found in the hands of a demon. One had managed to escape from Hell by some means, and was impersonating a god of the humans. When an adventurer figured out its ruse and slayed it, all of its possessions were put up for auction of fund a remodelling project. I just happened to be in the area on a scouting mission—I was in disguise, of course—when I came across the scroll and made off with it for all of two silver coins.

"It is called the "Scroll of the End," written in an old Dwarven dialect. I'm not sure if this is the only one in existance or not; there could be thousands of copies for all I know. I've read it over several times, and I have become quite familiar with its contents."

"What does it say Father?"

"It speaks mostly of the fortress Sedilkosoth, of which you're aware. It was a gift to the inhabitants of this world by the creator: Armok. Whoever should control both halves of the fortress may achieve godhood, once the proper ritual is performed."

"And what is this ritual?"

"You can leave that to me. You're job is to make sure that the committee doesn't do anything rash. Once this is all over, you will get what it is that you have been wanting."

"I understand Father."

Corley rose to leave; he had to get back to a more secluded part of the fortress. After he was gone, Leopold stood up as well, content that their efforts would be able to outdo any plans of the Evening Prayer Group.
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2045 on: September 13, 2014, 10:27:45 pm »

Dan, if something happens to you or your children, I'm sure it will feature in the overseer's update. I'll add it to the rules and everything if you want.

Thane's journal
Fallen Angel has taken to disguising himself as me and carrying around a hammer that he thinks is an exact replica of Ob Kat. It's barely even combat worthy- probably as a result of him having no smithing experience- and it doesn't have any amethyst on it, but perhaps it does look vaguely similar to people who haven't been carrying it around and using it for the last decade. If they're a long way away. And have one eye shut. And their other eye is being pecked out by vultures. In any case, I just can't be bothered dealing with him right now. I can't think of a time since arriving at Demongate where I wasn't being stalked by a lunatic, and now that this one has found something else to occupy his time with that doesn't involve desecrating corpses or murdering people I'm just fine with being able to go to sleep without having to worry that someone will try to break into my room and rob me. Now that this is on paper in front of me, I'm a little bit worried about my own state of mind.

In any case, I've been reading up on the Marble Faction again. Some of the books mention some of their offshoot groups being capable of performing exorcisms as a result of their campaign against magic, but since all of our literature came from the Knights it's censored to the point where I'm fairly certain that the references to the technique I found were only there because of lazy acolytes. Doubtless, the Knights have their own ways of dispelling spirits, but I have a suspicion that it would be both painful and fatal for the patient in need of it. It may seem extreme that I want to get rid of the voice that appears to have my best interests at heart, but the fact that it's related to Angel does nothing for my doubts about its sanity, and sometimes I just get the feeling that... there's something off about it. "Something strange about the voice that only you can hear? Surely not!" I've had enough of people trying to manipulate me, so I'm sending it right back to the underworld... spirit world? I'm sending it back to where it came from. Damn spirits. Coming into our world, taking all our sanity. There's barely enough sanity to go around as it is.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 10:49:55 pm by Deus Asmoth »
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2046 on: September 14, 2014, 10:54:44 pm »

So the order's finally figured it out. 

And I'm still alive.
This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"

danmanthedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2047 on: September 15, 2014, 07:04:58 am »

Sorry for not posting lets just say xfinity company itself is a bastard.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #2048 on: September 15, 2014, 04:49:27 pm »

First post is (finally) up to date again. Are we the last 34.11 game still running besides the Museum?
Um. Harvestcoast is still running I guess
くコ:彡

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #2049 on: September 17, 2014, 03:21:30 pm »

So... any updates inbound?

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2050 on: September 17, 2014, 04:27:12 pm »

I guess if we go a week without hearing from the overseer in charge, we'll have to move on from now on. Reasonable turn lengths are fine, but there's no point waiting around indefinitely. Mask has been sent a PM, and if we don't get a reply by Saturday the turn goes on to whoever's next in line.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 04:29:03 pm by Deus Asmoth »

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2051 on: September 17, 2014, 04:42:54 pm »

From the engravings of FallenAngel IV, Legendary+2 Bodysurfer

I can't believe how hard it was to sneak into Thane's office to write this without causing too much suspicion. However, I seem to have gained the favor of a few dwarves. One's a bit shorter than normal with a beard that goes to his feet and the other is always carrying six mugs full of various boozes. Not exactly the best driving force of allies, but whatever works.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2052 on: September 17, 2014, 05:33:03 pm »

Don't leave your graffiti all over my nice tidy office! Steal corpses and identities as much as you want, but that's plain rude!

In other news, Mask is confirmed for:

*Dead
*Not dead

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2053 on: September 17, 2014, 05:34:51 pm »

4maskwolf is here and writing the next update, but I've hardly been able to sleep for the last couple days due to school, much less post long, thought-through posts on the forums.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2054 on: September 17, 2014, 06:10:59 pm »

Don't leave your graffiti all over my nice tidy office! Steal corpses and identities as much as you want, but that's plain rude!

In other news, Mask is confirmed for:

*Dead
*Not dead
FallenAngel always carries a few stone tablets.
However, he did etch a picture of a camel on fire on the underside of your chair and shuffled your notes to make it look like he was doing something important, so there's that.
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 172