Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142 143 ... 172

Author Topic: Demongate: Wrapping up the Loose Ends.  (Read 673970 times)

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
Re: Demongate, home of the first and best Pimpstack.
« Reply #2100 on: September 25, 2014, 06:51:03 pm »

The fort is looking great. People die, then come back to life for no good reason. I guess it's kind of like a comic book, but with more disregard for sanity. We had a pimpstack first, by the way.

>tfw only guy who allowed their character to reach a conclusion to their story after Steelhold fell (losing their personality and becoming a tool of a vengeful, uncaring god)
>tfw everyone else is alive somehow through magic
>tfw
t(;0;t)
Asmoth technically reached a conclusion. She realised that creating a bunch of mindless killing machines might not have been the best way to go about building a utopia and turned all existential. And she's alive through !!SCIENCE!!, not magic. So there.

I just remember, yes. There was a pimpstack here first. Apparently, I was partially responsible for that one too.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2101 on: September 25, 2014, 07:06:00 pm »

Does anyone have any idea who's alive and who's dead, by the way? I was planning to update the list.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2102 on: September 25, 2014, 07:15:39 pm »

FallenAngel IV is still alive probably.
FallenAngel as a being is alive. FOREVER.

Rhaken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2103 on: September 25, 2014, 07:16:58 pm »

Godsdammit, another one!
Of course, he may have simply crushed the forgotten beasts with his massive testicles.

Forget a spouse, he needs a full time gonad wrangler.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #2104 on: September 25, 2014, 07:18:35 pm »

Oh look, we’ve got two threads with “Pimpstack” in the title already. This is turning into a meme.

So how’s the fort looking since I last participated?

To sum up the current state of Demongate;

We've seen some serious depletion of military forces (down from 3/4 complete melee squads that were expanding and 2 full crossbow squads to 1 full crossbow squad, 1 partial and 3 half-full melee squads), as well as numerous civilian casualties after near continuous goblin sieges and mega/forgotten beast attacks. Morale is currently OK, with a possible tantrum spiral striking mainly children and the military should one occur. This is likely due to no morale-raising improvements I can find being completed since the reign of Vlad.

The last significant construction since your turn was the creation of the Spider, a giant, dubiously necessary liability. It was a gaping hole in the fort's defenses that serves as a bastion in case the fort falls so far as I can tell... making it the second one we have. I think it was constructed during FallenAngel or Dantheman's reign. I also found an elaborate tomb which appears to have been filled with an unnamed jem cutter. There's an incomplete railroad starting in cavern 1 and leading through cavern 2 to cavern 3, culminating in the apparently walled off and abandoned Miner's Guild. I don't know who started its construction, but this segways neatly into the biggest change; the complete and utter collapse of the cavern defense scheme. There's also been some bewildering changes to the depot airlock; the depots been moved and an abandoned one is walled off. A tower of unknown origin (filled with statues) has been erected in the main courtyard as well, but I have no idea where it came from.

The 1st cavern layer is currently secured by a single door. Which means forgotten beasts can path from the 3rd cavern layer, through the 2nd and 1st, and into the fort since there's an intricate series of passages between them. Actually, the 2nd cavern level also has multiple undefended entrances! Fortunately the only know forgotten beast (the one from my turn that got trapped behind some trees) is unable to utilize this, but future ones might. Were Vlad still alive, I'd make a post to suggest rectifying these issues; since he's dead and my current character is off getting high/being schitzo, I'll just post this instead.

There are some upsides. We're pretty stable morale-wise (I'm surprised, Demongate) and we have the beginning of adequate preparations for engaging the HFS. Still, the main thesis of this post should be understood as Demongate's military is crippled. If it weren't for our remaining champions and our well-designed main gate I have no doubt we'd already be overrun or forced to turtle; we've grown complacent. We're taking losses faster than we can replace militia dwarves, and we've allowed previously tight defenses fall apart.

I'm getting a stable 33 FPS. Demongate is aging, and seems to be nearing an inevitable end bar a revitalization. Unfortunately, the leader who canonically would have addressed these issues, Vlad, is dead. The fortress story-wise seems to not have gotten over his death; it's running on inertia thanks to the Prayer Group, but from what I can tell our alcoholic illuminati is falling apart. Thane doesn't trust them anymore, Brenzen doesn't trust them any more, and they've let in a lot of dwarves who are either insane or outright traitorous. The hard core of old EPG loyalists as far as I can tell consist of Thanatos, Tarmid and Cornelius; they can probably call on Thane if she remains sane and feels there's an urgent danger to the fortress.

As dark forces gather, the fortress starts to crumble from within; it's physical decline into weakness matched by the decay of the fort's once proud institutions. Of the old players, the EPG is weaker than ever before; the Miner's Guild has completely lost all political authority, and Vlad's military has been decimated. One good push and Demongate could collapse. Seeing as the leader of our civilization has disappeared (and I think it's likely she was either killed or converted by the Bloodkin) the fall of Demongate could well spell the doom of the New World's dwarves.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2105 on: September 25, 2014, 07:21:17 pm »

Godsdammit, another one!
I've been here a while.
Took a while to establish the bodysurfing though. It's somehow hard to die in Demongate unless you're either...
A. A bodysurfer
B. Working under the rule of a bodysurfer

My turn had a high bodycount, including Helgarde. Almost all causalities were due to water pouring down the main stairwell which was being drained into the caverns because it was flooding everything.
There was cat pus EVERYWHERE.
So, basically, it was a normal Tuesday in a dwarven fortress.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #2106 on: September 25, 2014, 07:24:31 pm »

One more thing: We have what is almost a complete magma weapon... except it empties inside our walls. With a few upgrades, this can be turned into a magma reservoir, and then a fully functional cannon.

Rhaken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2107 on: September 25, 2014, 07:29:45 pm »

One more thing: We have what is almost a complete magma weapon... except it empties inside our walls. With a few upgrades, this can be turned into a magma reservoir, and then a fully functional cannon.

We should probably address Demongate's decline first. You're absolutely right, the fort has been crippled to hell and back. And just fixing it would be an endeavor for an entire turn or more, I'd wager. Sadly, I'm not quite at liberty to take a turn. Maybe if the place survives another month.
Of course, he may have simply crushed the forgotten beasts with his massive testicles.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2108 on: September 25, 2014, 07:46:05 pm »

We should probably address Demongate's decline first. You're absolutely right, the fort has been crippled to hell and back. And just fixing it would be an endeavor for an entire turn or more, I'd wager. Sadly, I'm not quite at liberty to take a turn. Maybe if the place survives another month.

As a point of fact, our military just lost another brave member to a goblin siege: Besmar Laborglazed, elite marksdwarf, was slain by swordsgoblins after going outside (why oh why) to collect ammunition.

We also lost a legendary planter who went outside against strict burrow orders.  Dunno about that one.

On the other hand, our crossbows have proved to be quite deadly.  We still have at least two elite marksdwarves left, and the others have not-inconsiderable power.  We're basically out of skilled dwarves for the military that I can draft, what with getting no migrants this turn, but I'll figure something out...

Rhaken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2109 on: September 25, 2014, 07:50:11 pm »

Waitwaitwaitwait. Waitaminnit. Is Kadol alive? Kadol Matchmanors, the swordsdwarf? He's my favorite non-player dwarf in the fortress. I imagine that if he's still around, he's quite badass. Despite having no right arm.

If he lives, I request his name be changed to Kadol One-Hand, for the sake of badassery. Unless anyone objects.

danmanthedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2110 on: September 25, 2014, 07:52:59 pm »

The tower was for the queen to be locked in also was meant to fall when level was pulled inside. The first deport melted and I couldn't repair so I tried to make another underground.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2111 on: September 25, 2014, 07:57:31 pm »

Kadol One-Hand does sound pretty badass.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2112 on: September 25, 2014, 08:00:18 pm »

You could always draft a Fishery Worker or two and train them.
A few Proficient warriors is better than no extra warriors at all.

danmanthedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2113 on: September 25, 2014, 08:03:09 pm »

Use the spear of enlightenment because when we are fighting vampires we need all the help.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #2114 on: September 25, 2014, 08:06:08 pm »

Waitwaitwaitwait. Waitaminnit. Is Kadol alive? Kadol Matchmanors, the swordsdwarf? He's my favorite non-player dwarf in the fortress. I imagine that if he's still around, he's quite badass. Despite having no right arm.

If he lives, I request his name be changed to Kadol One-Hand, for the sake of badassery. Unless anyone objects.

He's alive, and managed to get himself a title. He's got 6 notable (including a forgotten beast) and 5 less-than-notable kills. He also appears to have lost his ability to stand in 662 (it's currently 666. If the fortress seemed doomed on any year...) so that would be during the second rule of Thane.

Going in terms of casualties (checking the tombs, which are much, much bigger than they used to be) the fort's population has been dropping since a sharp increase in the deathrate in 661 (FallenAngel's rule). I take it that following those initial losses, we've suffered from military attrition to the point that we haven't been able to pull ourselves back out of the gradual population decline.
My recommendation for a enlarged military would be to reorganize again to make sure all of our troops are in squads organized by weapon type, and fill in the gaps with the biggest, least important dwarves you can find. That way our existing soldiers will accelerate the training of our new recruits, and they're more likely to survive the coming battles. A live-training scheme could help too, if someone wants to make the effort to cage a lot of goblins.

EDIT: Just noticed Vlad's tomb is also doubling as Thane's tomb so they can get buried together. This makes me kind of sad. RIP ThaneVlad, the Demongate OTP.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 08:09:15 pm by MDFification »
Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142 143 ... 172