Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143 144 ... 172

Author Topic: Demongate: Wrapping up the Loose Ends.  (Read 665472 times)

Rhaken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Demongate, home of the first and best Pimpstack.
« Reply #2115 on: September 25, 2014, 08:10:37 pm »

Kadol One-Hand does sound pretty badass.

Aye. I think I gave him that nickname in one of my story posts.

Checked if he was alive at the end of peregarret's turn. He is alive, ecstatic, and has eleven kills. However, he has lost his wife, youngest son, and eldest son. And his right foot. So basically, in his left hand, he carries a sword, a shield, and a crutch. Bad. Ass.

Use the spear of enlightenment because when we are fighting vampires we need all the help.

I disagree.
Of course, he may have simply crushed the forgotten beasts with his massive testicles.

Forget a spouse, he needs a full time gonad wrangler.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2116 on: September 26, 2014, 12:29:14 am »

The faction section of the OP needs to be updated to include the defunct Miner's Guild and DWEORH.
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2117 on: September 26, 2014, 01:29:50 pm »

Sir Brenzen skidded to a halt, his pace broken by the sound of the invasion alarm.  He cursed: investigating the magical pulse would have to wait.  He changed directions, heading for the barracks, watching the civilians pour into the fortress walls.  The archers raced past, snatching bolts as they went, climbing the stairs to the upper sections of the wall.

"Close the Depot! Ready the gatehouse!" Sir Brenzen yelled, and watched as the nearest civilians ran to pull the appropriate levers.  The military was almost fully assembled, just a couple of dwarves still running to their posts.  He saw Tarmid climbing the stairs to the archer tower and looked away, concentrating on the task at hand.

The wait seemed interminable.  From the archer tower, he could hear shouts and the plinks of crossbow fire, but the doors to the gatehouse prevented him from seeing the effects the bolts were having.  He heard the roaring of trolls on the far side of the walls, over by the depot, and a sudden thought struck him.  As long as there was a heavily guarded carvan in the depot, which seemed to not want to leave, he may as well put them to use.

"Lower the Depot bridge!"

The closest civilian, a farmer, gave him a sideways glance, but performed the order.  A few minutes later, one of the crossbowdwarves clambered down the stairwell.  "Sir Brenzen, sir!  One of the farmers has left the fortress!  He's being chased by a troll!"

Sir Brenzen swore: the civilians knew better than to do something this stupid.  He ran up the stairs, nearly bowling over the crossbowdwarf, and sprinted towards the trade depot.  He saw the caravan guards hacking at a troll further down, and as he approached one of the axedwarves embedded his axe in the troll's skull.  Sir Brenzen raced past, sprinting down the ramps that led to the depot and out of the fortress walls.

He was too late.  The troll stood over the farmer, who had clearly bled out from a massive gash in his side.  With a cry of rage, Sir Brenzen ran at the troll, and within moments the troll lay on the ground, dead.  Breathing heavily, Sir Brenzen returned to the fortress.

The battle was finally over.  Sir Brenzen planted his pickaxe in the skull of the last wounded goblin, watching as the last of the swordsgoblins ran over the horizon.  Despite his best efforts, two dwarves had been lost today: one of Demongate's most skilled farmers, and one of its last elite marksdwarves.  He returned to the barracks and gazed around, looking at what military the fortress had left.  The fortress had its champions, yes: Thane, Thanatos, and a few others.  He supposed even he could be added to that list.  But all of this seeming strength hid an even greater weakness.  One large siege, one concerted effort by the goblins, and the fortress would crumble.

A memory of Vlad rose unbidden in Sir Brenzen's mind, of the time when Vlad had taken over control of the military.  Although being dismissed as militia commander had wounded his pride, and the knights being moved to other squads had been almost intolerable, that had been the glory day of Demongate's military.  What Demongate needed right now was more soldiers, and quickly.

Sir Brenzen watched impassively as the dwarves filed into the room.  Some of them clearly remembered the last time that they had been called to a fortress meeting, and Sir Brenzen couldn't blame them for being wary.  Behind him stood Thane, Thanatos, and Tun Logenkazud, three of Demongate's militia captains.

Finally, all of the dwarves had arrived.  It was a tight fit, squeezing all of the fortress's members into one place, but they were all there.

"Dwarves of Demongate," Sir Brenzen began, "Today is a sad day.  We mourn the deaths of two of our number, whom the goblins took from us."

"It is because of this that I have called you here.  We have grown complacent, confident in the strength of our military.  Meanwhile, one by one, our dwarves are killed off, until someday, maybe soon, there will not be enough of the military left to keep the goblins at bay."

"I will be blunt: we need more soldiers.  Our military has been in decline ever since Vlad reworked it.  Our squads have grown weaker and weaker, as one by one they are killed by invaders."

"After I am done speaking, I would like all dwarves willing to enter the military to stay in this room.  The militia captains will choose from among you who they wish to be in their squads.  But this effort will take more than simply refilling our ranks.  We need better weapons, better armor, expanded defenses.  I have already marked out areas to build our new defenses, and Tarmid has approved the requisite work orders.  With your help, we shall all survive, now and in the future.  Thank you for your time.  You may go."

Alright, so, I guess I'll take the time to explain my plans for the fortress's defense.

I'm planning on expanding and improving the Surface Palisade to force hostiles to subject themselves to ballista and archer fire as they try to approach the fortress.  Once they leave the ballista firing range, they will be confronted by the melee squads of the military.

As for the military itself: I plan on filling the ranks of the 1st hammer, 1st sword, 1st axe, 1st crossbow, 1st hellguard, and creating a new squad (the 2nd hellguard) as a group of heavily armored warriors (weapon still undetermined) lead by one of the experienced warriors of the fortress who isn't already a militia commander.  Then, we'll have six full squads, plus Sir Brenzen, the lone bowman, and the scribes of St. Zane.  Additionally, I'm going to order the construction of a plethora of archery ranges to allow the archers to train while not on siege defense duty.  I also plan on setting up a catapult firing range and devoting three or so dwarves to siege operation, so that they can be ready in the event of a siege.

Edit: The wiki is your friend.  Update the wiki.  There's only so much updating I can do before I simply don't have the knowledge to update any more.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 01:32:56 pm by 4maskwolf »

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #2118 on: September 26, 2014, 01:37:36 pm »

For the 2nd Hellguard you could use our remaining speardwarfs (headed by the legendary speardwarf and legendary drug dealer Beef Vanderhuge?).

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2119 on: September 26, 2014, 03:20:38 pm »

Well, I've got the Overseer list and alive/dead thing up to date (to the best of my knowledge) on the wiki anyhow. I'll try get some proper updating done tomorrow.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2120 on: September 26, 2014, 03:22:52 pm »

Is the crippled brewer still alive? I feel kind of responsible for him, considering he was crippled during my overseership.

danmanthedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2121 on: September 26, 2014, 04:13:03 pm »

Is the crippled brewer still alive? I feel kind of responsible for him, considering he was crippled during my overseership.
No he is not. He started spamming canceling jobs so I locked him in a statue area with food and alcohol but he wouldn't drink so he died.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2122 on: September 26, 2014, 05:20:55 pm »

I'm nearly certain that it's a bad thing that my reaction to this is
1: There are more efficient ways of killing useless dwarves.
2: If he can't do his job, you shouldn't be wasting food on him anyway.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2123 on: September 26, 2014, 07:00:37 pm »

For the 2nd Hellguard you could use our remaining speardwarfs (headed by the legendary speardwarf and legendary drug dealer Beef Vanderhuge?).
Actually I have a different plan for the hellguard that I thought up today. You'll see what the plan is when I make the post in question.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2124 on: September 26, 2014, 08:21:58 pm »

So, what's Leopold's status regarding fort politics? After his term, it seems that Cornelius brought him into an Evening Prayer Meet at least once. Considering Sir Brenzen's in charge though, I expect he won't receive any invitations any time soon.
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2125 on: September 26, 2014, 09:19:46 pm »

So, what's Leopold's status regarding fort politics? After his term, it seems that Cornelius brought him into an Evening Prayer Meet at least once. Considering Sir Brenzen's in charge though, I expect he won't receive any invitations any time soon.
Eh. Sir Brenzen isn't going to revoke Leopold's invitation, so he can stay in the prayer group. Seeing as how power is starting to shift away from them, though, there will be less interesting information for him to bring back. I'm sure that if Sir Brenzen did enough digging he could find something slightly suspicious, but he's not checking the evening prayer group people as thouroughly as he checked the guardians, so unless Leopold is a bad spy he can stay.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2126 on: September 26, 2014, 09:24:47 pm »

Hey, could someone go through the last save and figure out who the two best soldiers in the main melee squad are other than the squad leaders. Just two, not two for each squad. And could you tell me their names and weapons?

Sorry, I don't have access to the save right now.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2127 on: September 26, 2014, 10:51:33 pm »

"We need to do more than just fill in the gaps in our forces with untested recruits," Brenzen said. "I want you to recommend two for promotion to the rank of captain so we can train recruits more efficiently."
Thane nodded. "Well, Tosid Rithlutdodok from the first axe and Ushat Mengkol of the first sword are the best we've got, if you want my opinion on it."
"Better than me?" Thanatos snorted.
"You're not even in their league," she snapped before turning back to Brenzen. "But I wouldn't say they're the best choice for promotion. I am the only person in my squad who actually uses a hammer, so if it's efficiency you're looking for my advice would be to give the new squads to Beef Vanderhuge for spears and Melbil Arbanas with maces. Fill the squads out from there, just don't expect any miracles. I'd be surprised if the new blood knows which end to hold a blade with."
"And that's your final opinion?" asked Brenzen. Thane nodded, shrugging. "So be it. I'll take it under advisement. Dismissed."

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2128 on: September 26, 2014, 11:37:43 pm »

"Are you sure that the new defensive structures will help us, Ingish?" Sir Brenzen asked, pacing the meeting area.

"For the third time, Sir, it's the best I could devise under the limited notice I was given for planning the new defenses.  If you had wanted better, you should have given me more time to work."

Sir Brenzen nodded tersely, then turned to Bomrek, "How have your studies been going."

Bomrek pursed his lips, "It's rather difficult to get a good feel for the anatomy of such creatures without a specimen, you understand.  I'm gleaning as much as I can from the descriptions and have a few rough sketches, but my work would be much faster if I had one of these bloodkin to study.  Even a corpse would be better than what I have now."

Sir Brenzen nodded once more and turned to Tun, "Have you discovered anything that would be important to share with your fellow guardians?"

Tun hesitated, then nodded, "There are more than a few who object to your overseership, Sir Brenzen.  They say that a military dwarf should not be in charge of the civilian affairs of the fortress.  Which brings me to a suggestion of mine."

Sir Brenzen waited, and after a moment of silence Tun continued, looking slightly disconcerted, "While one of us serves as overseer of the fortress, we will be able to easily steer events to the betterment of Demongate.  However, terms as overseer are short, usually limited to one year, and I'm sure you will continue this tradition.  So what then?  How do we prevent those with less than pure intentions from using the fortress for their own ends?"

"We need a military, Sir Knight.  A force that answers to us and us alone, so that we can take back the fortress should the need arise.  One that is well trained and well equipped, so as to be a significant force.  While I find it distasteful to do so, it appears to be a necessity."

The next ten minutes of the meeting were filled with debating, with even Tarmid jumping in to propose his viewpoint.  In the end, by a vote of 3-2, the Guardians agreed, reluctantly, to form a military branch.

"Very well," Sir Brenzen said, standing up from his seat, "I will discuss possible candidates for promotion to militia captain with my fellow military leaders.  Unless there is any more to discuss, the meeting is adjourned."

After a thorough check of the candidates, performed by Tun and Sir Brenzen, Beef Vanderhuge and Melbil Arbanas were given squads and a new barracks in the cleared-out hellfort.  Their ostensible mission: to protect the fortress against any invading demonic entities.  Forming the first and second squads hellguard, they were given specific orders not to respond to normal crises, to instead train until they were needed to fight the demons sealed beneath the adamantine sword.

Only Melbil Arbanas knew the true mission of the hellguards: to protect the fortress from internal threats.  None others were trusted with that information to start: that would come in time.  It was an unfortunate necessity, Sir Brenzen pondered, that the Guardians, who worked for the good of Demongate, would require a secret army.  But it had to be done.

Alright, so, the hellguard might need a bit of explaining:

Note to future overseers: do not send the hellguard into battle.  They are specifically forbidden from entering battle on Sir Brenzen's orders, as they are needed to keep constant vigilance on the demon fortress.

What the rest of the fortress knows about the hellguard:
They are two squads who train apart from the rest of the fortress, down in the demonic fortress, to keep an eye on any possible demonic breakins.  They were handpicked by Sir Brenzen and Melbil Arbanas on Thane's suggestion.  Their ostensible mission and training location are no secret, and a few dwarves have confirmed that they do indeed train exactly where they are expected to be.

What they don't know: The Hellguard is the military arm of the Demongate Guardians, although currently they are acting as sleeper agents, since they perform no actions outside of their declared duties.  Currently, only Melbil knows this secret among them, but will eventually share it with others.  All of the squad members were handpicked to be dwarves of known good character and strong loyalty to the fortress, to better facilitate their mission.

So, uh, yeah, have fun.  And I swear on my honor that's the last group I'll create this turn.

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2129 on: September 26, 2014, 11:54:32 pm »

The work had begun. While everyone else was running around like "a dying, headless chicken", FractalEntity had set his mind to a much more important task: upgrading the revolving door to the afterlife.  As things were now, it was a rusty thing that squeaked horribly when anyone tried to use it.  Apply some eldritch elbow grease, and it would be better than new: people would be able to come and go as freely as they pleased, without relying on those fickle fate fields.  Or bodysnatching. Or timeline changes. Or...

It would take years.  Decades. Maybe centuries or millenia. But the work had begun.

In the meantime, a rather important problem presented itself: sewer brew, sunshine, or a 50/50 mix?
This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143 144 ... 172