Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 ... 172

Author Topic: Demongate: Wrapping up the Loose Ends.  (Read 673322 times)

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
Re: Demongate, home of the first and best Pimpstack.
« Reply #2235 on: October 03, 2014, 08:44:47 pm »

I'm a latecomer to the party, joining not too long ago during Demongate's run, but I did random useless things for the sake of Fun. If I had the time, I would've made it !!Fun!!.
I built a stone spider connected to the main fortress despite it being outside with no defense, dug a hole in the brook for no reason, and dug into the aquifer in such a way that tons of people died due to falling into the drainage system that I had dug out to prevent excessive flooding.
The water was flowing straight down the main stairwell.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2236 on: October 03, 2014, 08:45:24 pm »

I believe the population was locked up so that a group of migrants could take over the fortress instead of leaving it in the hands of the workforce that didn't need to eat, drink or sleep and also had the bonus quality of removing the unskilled migrants rather than needing to train them up.

-

Thane screamed as she felt the energy of the world rushing into her, as though she was a whirlpool sucking in every piece of passing debris. It was too much for any sane person to handle, and it had to go somewhere. Fallen Angel fell to his knees in front of her. Thane studied him for a moment, bringing Ob Kat down on his head with a crunch. Artyom fell backwards, leaking fluids through the crack in his skull. Against all logic, he opened his eyes.
"It's not too late," he said in Vladimir's voice.
"It is for some people," Thane said sadly, bringing the hammer down again. The world turned grey around her as she drained it of light and life, a walking void that offered nothing but death.
"All hail your great hero," a voice said smugly.

Thane's eyes shot open, glancing around for danger. She sat up, missing the weight of Ob Kat as she looked around her cell. Still as barren as ever, nothing but the book Tarmid had given her to occupy herself with while they decided how to kill her. It was a lousy trade for the hammer that was now in his office, but it was better than nothing. A small cough outside told her that her guard was still there, unless he had been replaced by someone else. Thane hadn't bothered calling out. Even if she could smooth talk her way to freedom, there was nothing she could do after that. Leaning back against the wall, she tried to open her mind to the flow that she knew was around her. For a moment it seemed like it was there, dull, as though she was watching the world through the worn patch of a blindfold, but there nonetheless. It faded the more she concentrated on keeping it there, until she finally gave up, frustrated. Thane thumped the book that the librarian had given her on the bed in front of her, opening it to a random page without looking at the title. A section about weaponsmithing caught her eye, and she flicked it back to the start of the chapter.

Notes by the First Loremaster of St. Zane:

Promotion to the rank of Magebane traditionally carried with it the gift of a ceremonial weapon, exquisitely made by a specially trained weaponsmith. In recent years, this has been regrettably discontinued owing not only to the smith failing to train any apprentices before his untimely passing, but also to us being unable to justify such needless spending after our recent losses. With luck, we will be able to reinstate the custom once resources permit and we find a suitable smith.

Thane glanced at the cover of the book. It was easily a hundred years old, and the note at the front claimed it was a copy of an earlier text. She was nearly certain that Brenzen didn't have any weapon besides his pick in any case.

The weapons themselves are only used in battle in the direst of need in any case, for they are works of art rather than warcraft, representing the beauty that Knights strive to protect. They have proven fully functional on the few occasions that they have been used, normally due to desperation or the primary weapon of the Knight in question being unusable for any number of reasons, so much so that tales spring up every so often about the great weapons of the Magebanes that can only be used against the most dire of foes. Though it is a good thing that we can inspire such awe in those we guard from the darkness, it is best not to cultivate these tales in case it 'comes back to bite us', as the locals of my current resting place say. Fortunately, the accounts I was able to collect of these ceremonial weapons did not contain too much hearsay, mostly having been obtained from the wielders of the weapons themselves. Though the odd piece of unsubstantiated gossip has regrettably had to be removed, this chapter comes mostly 'from the horse's mouth'.

There didn't seem to be any movement outside other than the guard occasionally shifting his weight to the other foot. Thane settled down for a long night of reading.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 08:51:55 pm by Deus Asmoth »
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2237 on: October 03, 2014, 09:22:43 pm »

Somewhat intrigued by this, has a neat story from what I've gleaned. Will have to read the thing at some point. Now, my question is thus:

What exactly is a Pimpstack.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2238 on: October 03, 2014, 09:33:16 pm »

Honestly, I have no clue myself.
I assume it is an ordinary stack that is pimp.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2239 on: October 03, 2014, 09:40:07 pm »

What he said. I have no idea.

Doctor_Whiteface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2240 on: October 03, 2014, 09:49:01 pm »

Just to clarify, you also are desirous of a turn as overseer?
Yas. I like to think that I run a sane and efficient fortress.
So why on earth are you signing up to play a Steelholdian fort then?
Our first fort had 4 hospitals, mysterious 'ventillation' shafts that wound up being used as highly inefficient corridors since they were apparently breached by accident, a megaproject that produced 3000+ power that was subsequently channeled into a trade depot (note; no projects were ever attempted that would require use of power in Steelhold) and the reason our fort died was because someone decided to herd the entire fort's population into a room (for some reason) and then accidentally mined into the magma sea, flooding it and burning everyone to death because he wouldn't disable the burrow.
Just so you know what you're getting into.
Sounds like my forts after a while, just with more nonsense.

My literal strategy for fort-building is this:

1. Strike the earth!
2. Build a one-story shack around that entrypoint
3. External depot
4. wall around the depot
5. Bridge as the only point of access
6. Build towards the sky for refuse stockpiles
7. Get 140 Dorfs plus the King and associates
8. CLOSE THE GATES, NONE SHALL EXIT AGAIN.

Every fort that's survived past stage 2 has survived indefinitely or until I've got bored and decided to mine the map down to the Magma Sea and make some massive construction.

jrrocks05

• Bay Watcher
  • serial killer at large
    • View Profile
« Reply #2241 on: October 03, 2014, 09:53:04 pm »

Well that's boring!! LOSING IS FUN!!!!!!
We fear not to walk in the valley of death for we are the baddest most vicious unforgiving motherf---en dwarves in this valley

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2242 on: October 03, 2014, 10:01:53 pm »

What he said. I have no idea.
I believe our pimpstack came about as the result of the insanity of the mayor Besmar Forbes. No one was entirely sure what a pimp stack was and they didn't have enough fancy hats to build one once they found out, so they just built a pump stack and lied to him about it.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

Doctor_Whiteface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2243 on: October 03, 2014, 10:06:03 pm »

Well that's boring!! LOSING IS FUN!!!!!!
And the most fun I have in the game is trying to manage a tantrum spiral that usually necessitates my finally creating a medbay around year 6 or 7 when I inevitably forget to brew booze. :P

WHICH REMINDS ME, I'll probably forget that here, too. Whoever happens to get the turn before me, leave PLENTY OF ALCOHOL JUST IN CASE >.>

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #2244 on: October 03, 2014, 10:06:11 pm »

Meanwhile, in the drug addled and overpopulated mind of Beef Vanderhuge...

Make gettingks up Beef. There is vork for you to be doingk, yes?
Godsdamnit. Beef made his excuses and stumbled out of the barracks. He knew of course that everyone assumed he'd be heading down to the local gypsum den, but that at least was better than people knowing that against all logic, the voices in his head were occasionally real.
He thought.
He's probably not real. That would be ridiculous. Don't listen to him, Beef. Destroy the local sunshine supply.
Why did this kind of thing have to happen to Beef?
Because your mind, damaged as it is, is very, very easy for the dead to sway? I mean, it wasn't all that impressive to begin with, and you've snorted, smoked and ate enough chemicals to kill a forgotten beast. Or, given your service record, four.
What is it that they even want?
Listen up soldier. Ve is givingk you order, yes? You remember beingk Vulture, yes? Thane is likely to be burned to death as witch. Vlad hoped that he vas wrongk about the Knights, but apparently once Vlad is no longer amongk the livingk, everythingk goes to shit, yes?
Right. Captain Thane. Vultures. Obey your superior. Hold on just a moment; Beef needs to straighten things out.
What do you think your doin-

Outside the mind of Beef (Hopefully now the narrative can actually make some semblance of sense)

The mixture of gypsum and sunshine seared Beef's throat as it went down. If it weren't for the sudden rush of adrenalin, he would have relaxed. The world grew sharper, as if a film had been removed from his eyes. More importantly, the voices stopped. He could concentrate again.
Riding on his high, Beef realized that what he had experienced wasn't real. It had felt real at the time, sure, but that was just because he was insane. Speaking to the dead? It'd be worse to be a necromancer than insane. Beef wasn't interested in that. He was interested, however, in what he was about to do. Consequences don't exist, after all, while you're high.
He obviously felt bad about leaving the Commander's lady to rot in a cell while those Knight pricks argued what to do with her. That wasn't right. Those jerks had no idea how to run a military - it's almost as if the militia wasn't their primary concern. Actually, Beef remembered the vocies telling him that they and the Blood Men were working together to keep the Dark Fortress a secret, but that couldn't be real. Vlad was doing that. Duh.
Beef gripped his spear and wandered off into the tunnels. One of these had to the lead to the jail. Yeah. And then he'd bust out the Duke's lady. It was a good thing he was convinced he was an immortal at the moment, or he wouldn't have the guts to do this. Better not think about that. When you doubt yourself, the voices come.

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2245 on: October 03, 2014, 10:51:12 pm »

Just to clarify, you also are desirous of a turn as overseer?
Yas. I like to think that I run a sane and efficient fortress.
So why on earth are you signing up to play a Steelholdian fort then?
Our first fort had 4 hospitals, mysterious 'ventillation' shafts that wound up being used as highly inefficient corridors since they were apparently breached by accident, a megaproject that produced 3000+ power that was subsequently channeled into a trade depot (note; no projects were ever attempted that would require use of power in Steelhold) and the reason our fort died was because someone decided to herd the entire fort's population into a room (for some reason) and then accidentally mined into the magma sea, flooding it and burning everyone to death because he wouldn't disable the burrow.
Just so you know what you're getting into.

Well, *technically*, we had a few millstones that needed power...
and it wasn't the trade depot that got powered, it was the
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I do remember your rant:
What I can't believe is that we've had adamantine for 3 years now and all we've used it for is building a goddamn trade depot
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 11:02:42 pm by fractalman »
This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2246 on: October 03, 2014, 10:56:23 pm »

"Vanderhuge, you've abandoned your post."

Beef swore under his breath.  The last person he had wanted to run into was the knight himself.  While Brenzen was a nice and noble guy and all, he was also the one most likely to call him out on his actions.

Brenzen crossed quickly in front of Beef, blocking his path, "Under whose orders have you abandoned your station?"

Beef thought quickly, going over the list of people he had been told could give that order, "Mechanic Ingish, sir."

Brenzen seemed to consider this, and Beef almost sighed in relief.  He had managed to outthink the knight.  Brenzen turned his back and walked down the corridor in the direction Beef was going, and after the knight rounded the corner, Beef followed slowly.  Perhaps the knight was headed where he needed to go, in which case all Beef had to do was follow without being caught.  He could do this.

Beef followed the knight around several twists in the corridor, until he rounded a corner to see Sir Brenzen standing directly in front of him.

"Ingish didn't give that order, did he Beef?"

Beef's shock made it hard to think, but he managed to choke out, "Of... of course he did, Sir."

Brenzen sighed, "I know for a fact that Ingish has been discussing mechanical theory with Tarmid for the past hour.  Additionally, I don't see Melbil Arbanas with you, and any order to the hellguard is delivered to pairs of soldiers, for security reasons.  You have abandoned your post and been derelict in your duty, and I'd like to know why."

Beef frowned.  The knight was smarter than he looked, Beef had to give him that.  Beef saw that the knight's pick was still strapped to his back and took a deep breath.  It would be a shame to hurt Beef's commanding officer, but it would be still more of a shame if Beef let them execute the Duke's wife.  With a practiced motion, he slung the adamantine spear off of his back and lunged at the knight.

Before Beef knew what was happening, he found himself flat on his back, the tip of the spear placed under his chin.  Brenzen loomed over him, and he tried to scramble back, but the wall prevented him from getting away.  The knight looked cooly down the point of the spear at Beef.

"I hope you realize that you now stand guilty of treason, assault against a commanding officer, attempted murder, dereliction of duty, and falsifying orders, and that it is my duty and right to execute you on the spot as a high magebane of the Knights of St. Zane."

Beef felt his eyes widen as the knight said Beef would be executed, but Brenzen continued, "However, under the circumstances, I believe that I should hear you out before making a final judgement.  Choose your next words wisely."

Level 37 fighter comes in handy sometimes :P

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2247 on: October 03, 2014, 11:27:59 pm »

Journal of FractalEntity:

I think a bunch of ghosts are harassing the dwarves, especially Beef. Am considering driving them off if they go too far.  Need to define "too far" one of these days.

By the way. I don't mind people reading my journal. I encrypt anything
really important.  However, stop leaving it on the chair! It belongs on thedesk! Thank you for your cooperation.

My dwarf just does not get it. *snerk*
This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2248 on: October 03, 2014, 11:28:39 pm »

I think a bunch of ghosts are harassing the dwarves, especially Beef. Am considering driving them off if they go too far.  Need to define "too far" one of these days.

really important.  However, stop leaving it on the chair! It belongs on thedesk! Thank you for your cooperation.

What does he not get, exactly?

Rhaken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2249 on: October 03, 2014, 11:37:55 pm »

What does he not get, exactly?

Laid.
Of course, he may have simply crushed the forgotten beasts with his massive testicles.

Forget a spouse, he needs a full time gonad wrangler.
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 ... 172