Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 149 150 [151] 152 153 ... 172

Author Topic: Demongate: Wrapping up the Loose Ends.  (Read 673258 times)

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
Re: Demongate, home of the first and best Pimpstack.
« Reply #2250 on: October 03, 2014, 11:43:24 pm »

What does he not get, exactly?

Laid.
Hey now man, there's no need to bring that up, you know that's a sore spot for him, can you just let it drop :P

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2251 on: October 04, 2014, 12:10:14 pm »

Journal of FractalEntity:

I think a bunch of ghosts are harassing the dwarves, especially Beef. Am considering driving them off if they go too far.  Need to define "too far" one of these days.

By the way. I don't mind people reading my journal. I encrypt anything
really important.  However, stop leaving it on the chair! It belongs on thedesk! Thank you for your cooperation.

My dwarf just does not get it. *snerk*
What does he not get, exactly?

he's the one leaving the journal on the chair.
This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2252 on: October 04, 2014, 12:14:01 pm »

Somewhat intrigued by this, has a neat story from what I've gleaned. Will have to read the thing at some point. Now, my question is thus:

What exactly is a Pimpstack.
To which I reply:
You haven't heard of pimping stations? You can build them when the economy is turned on. A dwarf gets into the pimping station and levies money from all the dwarves that pass by. It's a good way to collect taxes for your fort. :P

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2253 on: October 04, 2014, 03:53:43 pm »

Okay, so, update on the progress of the actual in-game game.

I have finally finished playing my year and will, as soon as all story elements are up, be uploading the save, or shortly thereafter.  Also, one of our people just died of old age: not a named dwarf, an unnamed bonecarver.  Goes to show how long we've been going at this: this was the 14th year of the fortress.

I'll update this post with pictures of what I revamped in a bit.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2254 on: October 04, 2014, 05:58:37 pm »

I have finally finished playing my year and will, as soon as all story elements are up, be uploading the save, or shortly thereafter.  Also, one of our people just died of old age: not a named dwarf, an unnamed bonecarver.  Goes to show how long we've been going at this: this was the 14th year of the fortress.

Can't wait to see how the year ends. Also, 14 years is nothing! Ever read "Nist Akath?"
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

Doctor_Whiteface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2255 on: October 04, 2014, 06:47:38 pm »

Can't wait to start my turn and drop my jaw at the lunacy I'll need to deal with :)

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2256 on: October 04, 2014, 06:48:44 pm »

Can't wait to see how the year ends. Also, 14 years is nothing! Ever read "Nist Akath?"
No, I haven't read it.

Pretty sure you know generally how the year ends, given that we have all been talking about it over in the quicktopic.

Can't wait to start my turn and drop my jaw at the lunacy I'll need to deal with :)
Lolz oh man.  This fortress though.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2257 on: October 04, 2014, 06:58:40 pm »

Also, while I'm waiting on the other parts to the whole Thane-FallenAngel story, I may as well post something that actually happens chronologically earlier in the canon.

Thanatos knocked on the door to Brenzen's office, feeling a surge of trepidation.  The militia commander of Demongate was well known for his obsession with honor and duty, and there was the possibility that Brenzen would refuse his request.  There was silence from the other side of the door, so he knocked again, louder.

"Come in," came a tired voice from behind the door.

Thantos pushed open the door and entered the room, doing his best to leave his uncertainty behind him.  He had a mission to Demongate, but his first loyalty is, and always will be, to the Olympians.  They took him in, trained him, and, when the time came, had elected him to their council.  If they were in trouble, it was his duty to join them and fight alongside them.

Brenzen was sitting at his desk as Thanatos entered, rubbing his eyes in exhaustion.  Thanatos stood at a respectful distance until the knight gestured for him to sit in the second chair.  A long silence filled the air, until finally Brenzen spoke, "I'm sure you have a reason for coming here."

Thanatos nodded slowly, still not willing to speak.  The knight gestured for him to go on, so he finally said, "I have important information to share with you, sir."

Brenzen raised an eyebrow, and Thanatos continued, "The bloodkin are on the move, commander.  They have taken over the whole south and are about to make their move on the border fortresses.  They..." his voice trailed off as Brenzen's eyes narrowed.

"How do you know our mission here?" the knight demanded.

Thanatos flinched internally: how was he supposed to have known the mission was a secret.  It was obvious to him why the fortress had been founded.

Noticing his hesitation, Brenzen said, "I'll ask you one more time.  How do you know our mission  here?"

"I... Isn't it obvious, sir?  The bloodkin are invading the south and..."

"Where did you get this information?" Brenzen interrupted, "and more importantly, why haven't you shared it before now?"

Thanatos hesitated, trying to collect his thoughts, and Brenzen stood, looming over him, "I asked you a question, captain, and I expect a response."

"I am a member of the Olympians, sir."

Silence hung heavy in the air, and Thanatos felt as if the walls of the room were closing in on him as the knight stared directly at him.  After what seemed like days, Brenzen sat down, his gaze still fixed on Thanatos.

"I should have known you lot would plant a spy in our fortress.  It was only a matter of time until it happened, though I must admit I did not expect them to be as skilled at hiding as you were.  Then again..."

"I'm not here to spy, sir," Thanatos interrupted.  He didn't know what compelled him to say it, but the knight deserved to know the truth, "I was sent as a liaison to Demongate to establish contact with the knighthood and forge an alliance between our groups.  The letter you gave me was sent by another member of the council."

Brenzen was quiet for a long moment, then, "Explain yourself."

"I am a member of Olympian council, one of the few survivors.  When it seemed that the bloodkin could be repulsed, I was sent to speak directly with the knight in charge of Demongate to establish an alliance to drive them out.  However, when I arrived it was clear that the presence of the knighthood in Demongate was limited: we had assumed they had sent one of the masters to the fortress.  I sent back word to my fellow council members and was advised to stay and provide information to the fortress for it's betterment."

Thanatos paused, and Brenzen gestured for him to go on, "It is too late, sir.  The Olympians are retreating to the caverns, away from the bloodkin.  They have won the war in the south, and possibly the entire world.  As we speak the bloodkin mass their forces to storm the other border fortresses.  All except Demongate."

Brenzen raised an eyebrow as Thanatos continued, "The bloodkin have deployed enough of their forces south of us to keep us from escaping from the pass, but not enough to take the fortress by storm.  They seem to be waiting for something, and want to be well away from the fortress when it happens.  What that something is, we don't know."

Silence fell upon the room once again, and Sir Brenzen stood and walked around the table until he stood behind Thanatos.  He placed one hand on Thanatos's shoulder, "I have a feeling you're telling the truth, my friend.  The last message from the Council of Masters indicated that they had lost contact with a force of knights headed south to probe the bloodkin lines almost as soon as they passed the border fortresses, so that part of your story is corroborated.  The rest, I will take on your honor."

Brenzen walked back to his chair and sat down, and after a brief pause Thanatos spoke again, "Sir, if I may... I have a request of you."

"What is it?"

Thanatos took a deep breath and looked the knight straight in the eyes, "I'd like to be relieved of service at the end of the year and be allowed to rejoin my group in the caverns."

Brenzen seemed to consider this momentarily, then nodded, "If that is what you truly wish, then I will allow this."

Thanatos felt as if a great weight had been lifted off of his shoulder, "Thank you sir.  You have my gratitude."

Brenzen nodded curtly, and Thanatos stood and left the room.

Doctor_Whiteface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2258 on: October 04, 2014, 07:06:33 pm »

No, I haven't read it.

Pretty sure you know generally how the year ends, given that we have all been talking about it over in the quicktopic.

Lolz oh man.  This fortress though.
Let me guess. A completely average bedlam in every possible way.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2259 on: October 04, 2014, 07:18:36 pm »

I know what will happen, but I'd still like to see how it gets written.

Doctor_Whiteface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2260 on: October 05, 2014, 07:55:11 am »

Dear Urist McMiner,

You see that?  That hole in the ground?  That's our quarry.  You decided to come to this fortress, and in this fortress we live like humans.  We have wonderful housing units for all of you, but the fortress needs more stone, since we're running out of trees to cut down and spare wood to use.  So could you please stop going on break once a month for two weeks and actually get something done, please?  The quarry won't expand itself.

Sincerely,

Your expedition leader, the carpenter
Sweet Armok, what have I got myself into? ;-;

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2261 on: October 05, 2014, 09:10:03 am »

Dear Urist McMiner,

You see that?  That hole in the ground?  That's our quarry.  You decided to come to this fortress, and in this fortress we live like humans.  We have wonderful housing units for all of you, but the fortress needs more stone, since we're running out of trees to cut down and spare wood to use.  So could you please stop going on break once a month for two weeks and actually get something done, please?  The quarry won't expand itself.

Sincerely,

Your expedition leader, the carpenter
Sweet Armok, what have I got myself into? ;-;
No no, that's one of my personal fortresses, don't worry.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2262 on: October 08, 2014, 08:41:27 pm »

It seems as if someone has been shirking his overseer duties.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2263 on: October 08, 2014, 08:47:57 pm »

I'm awaiting the conclusion to the whole Thane thing, which is out of my hand.  Then I'll post the final thing.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #2264 on: October 08, 2014, 08:53:20 pm »

I'm awaiting the conclusion to the whole Thane thing, which is out of my hand.  Then I'll post the final thing.

Yeah, I haven't written a response to the Brenzen/Vanderhuge situation. I'm writing essays right now and don't really have time to do things that aren't terrible.
If you need to move on, you can always just cop out by making Brenzen how very, very high Vanderhuge is.
Pages: 1 ... 149 150 [151] 152 153 ... 172