Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Comic Con San Diego: July 24-27 2014  (Read 2150 times)

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Comic Con San Diego: July 24-27 2014
« on: March 13, 2014, 08:35:25 am »

This thread is for all discussion of Comic Con 2014 in San Diego, California, July 24-27 at the San Diego Convention Center

Pre-registration ends at 9am Pacific Time March 15th. If you intend to purchase a ticket, you must pre-register for the online ticket purchasing event. Note that last year tickets sold out within 93 minutes of going on sale. This is the biggest convention of its type in the world, and if you're looking for "the" convention to go to and you can't get into E3, this is it.

Who's going, costuming discussion, possible bay12 meetups, masquerade, after party, room sharing, anything related to Comic con 2014 goes here!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Comic Con San Diego: July 24-27 2014
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 04:32:09 pm »

I will be there, as always. Helps that it is local, although that no longer does me any good as far as buying tickets goes.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 06:50:57 pm »

I will be there, as always. Helps that it is local, although that no longer does me any good as far as buying tickets goes.

This will be my first time at this con. I'm told that previous attendees get priority for buying tickets.

How does the purchasing event work? Sounds like...log on at 7am and sit in a chatroom for a couple of hours and hope you get picked. Is it a lottery, or first come first served? The FAQ isn't entirely clear.

What are you dressing as?

Tempted as I am do do something pony related, I don't care for humanized ponies, and there's no way I'm running around all day in a fursuit. So, considering going as Lord llpalazzo from Excel Saga.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 07:14:20 pm »

Yeah, if you attended last year you could do the pre-registration purchase event. Which is basically the same as the open reg, but with fewer people involved so it was more likely that you'd get tickets for at least some days. We lucked out and got in super early, though, so were able to snag 4 day passes + preview night.

It's pretty much what you said, you log into a waiting room and at the end of the waiting time they shuffle everyone's IDs and put those in random order. If you're lucky you're close enough to the top of the list to get in and buy tickets. For pre-reg each member id could buy up to 3 tickets, but those people also had to have pre-reg eligable member ids. I gather for open reg everyone you're buying for needs a member id, but I'm not 100% certain on that.

Not sure if I'm dressing up this year or not. We have a plan to go as Dwarves from the Hobbit, but with wedding planning and such I don't know if I'll have time to pull it off. We'll see.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 07:49:35 pm »

I'm going to see if I can get tickets this year.
Consider this a PTW post.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2014, 12:04:29 pm »

Having a LAN party with two other people waiting to get in to buy a ticket for an hour now. Preview night, Friday and Saturday all sold out.

Not looking good.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2014, 12:08:18 pm »

Having a LAN party with two other people waiting to get in to buy a ticket for an hour now. Preview night, Friday and Saturday all sold out.

Not looking good.

Yeah, it's been rough for people. But most my friends at least have tickets for some days now.
Come play Mafia with us!

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2014, 12:16:58 pm »

it's been rough for people. But most my friends at least have tickets for some days now.

Yeah, but need to get in once first before we can be one of the cool presale kids. :P

I wonder if it might be worth getting a ticket for a day I don't want to go just to be gaurunteed a spot net year. I haven't done a con in years though. Pretty much hadn't planned on doing them anymore since most of my friends grew up and got married. Then I heard out of the blue just a few weeks ago "hey, we're doing comic con" from someone I knew who's never done any conventions like this at all. Came as a bit of a surprise, but I wasn't going to turn the opportunity down. I still have my AX masquerade trophy from forever ago.

I do kind of miss it.

EDIT:
There are three of us sitting here at our computers. Figured at least one of us would get in and any one of us could buy tickets for all three of us. But we're still waiting just to get into the waiting room. Last year tickets sold out in 93 minutes. That's in 13 minutes.

EDIT again:
Thursday just sold out. Only Sunday left.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2014, 12:21:37 pm »

Sunday is the only day open now, but that's still worth it. And there is a bunch of stuff going on that day, plus some stuff going on in downtown SD the whole time that doesn't require a badge.
Come play Mafia with us!

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2014, 12:24:16 pm »

there is a bunch of stuff going on that day, plus some stuff going on in downtown SD the whole time that doesn't require a badge.

If it were just me I'd consider going for unplanned festivities. Maybe. I've had fun at pre-parties at other conventions. Problem is that getting invites and finding out where to go is harder without being able to meet people inside.

Sunday tickets running low.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2014, 12:25:26 pm »

It's over. All tickets sold.

Didn't get one.

Congrats everyone who did. Have lots of fun. Maybe will do Wondercon instead.

Hey...any chance for scalpers at this event?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2014, 12:27:05 pm »

It's over. All tickets sold.

Didn't get one.

Congrats everyone who did. Have lots of fun. Maybe will do Wondercon instead.

That sucks. Maybe you can get next year, though!
Come play Mafia with us!

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2014, 12:30:50 pm »

Ouch Really sorry to hear that. Best of luck next time!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2014, 12:35:52 pm »

Hey...any chance for scalpers at this event?

I'm sure there are some, but with the way Comic-Con does things I think it has to be done at the event after the scalper has signed-in and claimed the badge. Still, I'm sure people have worked something out. The shadier parts of the internet will probably have more concrete answers for you.

I know I've seen people at least selling them on Sunday after they were done with Con. And that's just stuff I've noticed walking around not looking for it (since I had badges)
Come play Mafia with us!

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2014, 12:40:00 pm »

The shadier parts of the internet will probably have more concrete answers for you.

What I'm seeing is $150/night tickets, ID checks at pickup so the scalper has to do the pickup, and there might be ID check at the door, so even after all that you still might not get in. Think I'll pass and maybe just do Wondercon instead.

I do look forward to convention reports from those of you who go though. :)
Pages: [1] 2