Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Satellite Imagery of DF Worlds (v1.3.3 - Now fully compatible with 0.40.x!)  (Read 41113 times)

CharonM72

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Laughingdwarf
    • View Profile

This project is on GitHub! Find the most cutting-edge version here, or download from DFFD below. DFFD will also be updated with major releases.

Bugs and suggestions here.

Ever wonder what your awesome DF world would look like in real life, from space? Well wonder no more!
This script will take your Legends mode detailed maps and magically convert them into a satellite image.
Check out what it's capable of:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Features:
-Accurately shows land as affected by temperature, biomes, vegetation, elevation, volcanic activity, and more
-Image scales are matched up to be an exact fit with the DF map assuming each tile in DF to be 5 by 5 feet, meaning that all the features are actual size
-Dirt, mountain, and tree imagery are all taken from actual satellite imagery (of Saudi Arabia, northern India, and Brazil)
-Water, ice cap, desert, vegetation, and atmosphere coloring all modeled off real-world satellite imagery

Please note that the code is heavily based on PeridexisErrant's and YukiHyou's batch files and Parket147's GIMP script, which is based on GFXiNXS's original Photoshop script. My ability to code in Batch and Scheme was close to none, so huge thanks to them for providing a lot of of the code already.
See the original Fantasy Map Maker thread here.

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD
Please read the Readme carefully!

Tell me if you have any questions or comments! Expect more updates in the future.

Version history:
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 10:57:12 pm by CharonM72 »
Ever wanted to see your DF world Google Earth-style? Check out my Satellite Map Maker!

He he, yeah, I was like, "how are we going to be sure the leader will die in the trap?"  And then I saw the 10 adamantine weapons in the trap.  Then I was like, "but what if they live through the fall if they dodge?"  Then I saw the giant magma pool.

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
Re: Satellite Imagery of DF Worlds
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 03:17:25 pm »

I'll try it, the maps should be fun to look at. Thank you and the others who worked on the previous programs!
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 03:18:44 pm »

That comes out looking really neat! I'll have to give this a try.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 01:28:42 am »

Very, very pretty.  I like it so much I've included it in my legends processing suite!  Recursive credits,   ;D
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2014, 05:08:44 am »

This is pretty awesome!

gefer8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2014, 04:02:10 pm »

Good golly, this is sweet. Could you, though, make a smoother texture transition from desert to mountains and other biomes? They look out of place.
"Fear the day Armok gave you a land with no iron!"

CharonM72

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 09:50:05 am »

Very, very pretty.  I like it so much I've included it in my legends processing suite!  Recursive credits,   ;D

Awesome! Although I'll probably get around to updating it a lot soon. To be honest I've only tried it on one map so far so I'm sure there are lots of bugs. Plus I want to add a bunch more features.

Good golly, this is sweet. Could you, though, make a smoother texture transition from desert to mountains and other biomes? They look out of place.

That was one of the things I noticed too, especially with mountains. Volcanic borders used to be really sharp too but I managed to smooth them; maybe I can use a similar method here.
Speaking of volcanoes, your map seems to have a ton of volcanic activity or something. I'll see if that's a common occurrence and tone down the volcanism shading a bit if so.
Ever wanted to see your DF world Google Earth-style? Check out my Satellite Map Maker!

He he, yeah, I was like, "how are we going to be sure the leader will die in the trap?"  And then I saw the 10 adamantine weapons in the trap.  Then I was like, "but what if they live through the fall if they dodge?"  Then I saw the giant magma pool.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 06:12:43 pm »

Awesome!  I've just found a very nice feature - GIMP has a user folder, and you don't need admin permissions or user input to copy to there.  Which means that the whole clumsy structure of prompts and opening windows can be replaced with the following line/s:

Code: [Select]
IF EXIST "%userprofile%\.gimp-*" (
    for /f "usebackq tokens=*" %%f in (`dir /s /b "%userprofile%\.gimp-*"`) do (
        SET scriptFolder="%%f"
    )
)

if not exist "%scriptFolder%\scripts\RealisticMapMaker.scm" copy "%CD%\RealisticMapMaker.scm" "%scriptFolder%\scripts\RealisticMapMaker.scm"

There's also a hopefully-nicer and more general way to find the install location, but that can come later (it's still under construction).
 Donations here.

CharonM72

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2014, 07:46:03 am »

Uploaded a new version with a lot of changes today, mainly in the batch file.
PeridexisErrant, thanks for the tip! I included that in the update, and added a bunch more changes of my own. Check out the version history for a general list, and feel free to browse the code. Mostly I made it more user-friendly.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
Re: Satellite Imagery of DF Worlds (v1.2 - Adjustable atmosphere)
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2014, 08:48:24 pm »

Looks very nice! A few quick things: 

1) Any issues with me sticking my script (which includes your stuff) under GPL3 or CC BY-NC-SA license?

2) I'll probably just set atmosphere to 0 in the big script, and let anyone interested change it

3) Unless the atmo level is part of the map name, multiple runs are going to overwrite.  I manually renamed them to compare, but that's not great for users. 
 Donations here.

CharonM72

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2014, 10:27:57 pm »

1) Any issues with me sticking my script (which includes your stuff) under GPL3 or CC BY-NC-SA license?

Nope, I'll probably do the same in that case.

3) Unless the atmo level is part of the map name, multiple runs are going to overwrite.  I manually renamed them to compare, but that's not great for users. 

That can easily be fixed. However it's possible I may add one or two more user-adjustable settings, in which case the filenames will just continue to be different. A cloud layer would sure be fun...
Oh, what if I just made a separate settings file? Then the users could change settings there, and it should still work with your Legends processing suite. If I add more than one setting I might do that.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2014, 11:42:25 pm »

Now all up on GitHub.  Much easier to see what I'm doing!  Good news on the license, mine can be found at the link above.

It is definitely easy to fix, I just used the below:
Code: [Select]
set "mapName=SatelliteMapmaker_%atmosphere%atmo-%region#%.bmp"If there are a bunch of variables, I'd probably still put them in the name - it's a DF convention - but as "_a1_c4..." with a single letter.  It may also be possible to (elegantly) allow a number of combinations in a single pass... I might come back to that. 

A settings file could be very good; if you're using the new way I found of finding GIMP stick the path in that file too!
 Donations here.

CharonM72

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2014, 12:18:44 am »

I'd be willing to work directly with your Legends Processing Suite, but I plan to make a number of changes in the near future which might mess up everything. I'm wondering if we can separate it into multiple files that call each other. Then editing each one would be way easier, and we wouldn't just have one big cluttered file. Besides, as it is it looks like your current suite still has the code from the old version.
Fortunately most of the changes I plan to make will be in the already-standalone GIMP script so that part shouldn't be a problem.

Personally, one of the issues I had with the Legends Processor was that I didn't really know what it did while (or before) it was running. I also had the unfortunate experience where I had an unrelated file in the folder that contained the string "region2" in the filename, but my only region was region1, so running the processor did nothing but make an empty zip file and delete all my exported data. I didn't realize the problem until I read through the code, haha. Something I focused on when writing my .bat file was making sure it gave plenty of instruction and output while running. Given the nature of the Legends Processing Suite, maybe it would be a good idea to prompt the user before each step to ask if they want to continue with or skip that operation too (ex. if I don't want to make a satellite map this time).

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2014, 12:22:41 am »

This looks awesome!
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Raptomex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Pastime
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2014, 01:56:06 am »

That's actually really cool. Nice work.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5