Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Satellite Imagery of DF Worlds (v1.3.3 - Now fully compatible with 0.40.x!)  (Read 41118 times)

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
Re: Satellite Imagery of DF Worlds (v1.2 - Adjustable atmosphere)
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2014, 03:30:16 am »

I'd be willing to work directly with your Legends Processing Suite, but I plan to make a number of changes in the near future which might mess up everything. I'm wondering if we can separate it into multiple files that call each other. Then editing each one would be way easier, and we wouldn't just have one big cluttered file. Besides, as it is it looks like your current suite still has the code from the old version.
Fortunately most of the changes I plan to make will be in the already-standalone GIMP script so that part shouldn't be a problem.
Don't worry about messing up any of my stuff, I can always leave the last stable version up while I try to integrate something completely different.  I can definitely see an argument for splitting up the script - and if the parts go in a subfolder that deals with my main concern about people running the wrong script. 

Personally, one of the issues I had with the Legends Processor was that I didn't really know what it did while (or before) it was running. I also had the unfortunate experience where I had an unrelated file in the folder that contained the string "region2" in the filename, but my only region was region1, so running the processor did nothing but make an empty zip file and delete all my exported data.
I fixed the specific deletion problem earlier today when I spotted it - the OptiPNG section would delete "*egion*.bmp", now changed to "*%region#%*.bmp".  That was an old bit of code... Site maps still have issues as there's no identification of where they come. 

I didn't realize the problem until I read through the code, haha. Something I focused on when writing my .bat file was making sure it gave plenty of instruction and output while running. Given the nature of the Legends Processing Suite, maybe it would be a good idea to prompt the user before each step to ask if they want to continue with or skip that operation too (ex. if I don't want to make a satellite map this time).
Yeah, the documentation is appalling (I tried to comment the script decently, but that's not a substitute).  How much to involve the user is something of a style issue - I should probably do more, but since I started doing it just for me I just assume that the user knows what's happening and wants it to happen quickly.  I'll stick with the 'just make everything' approach, but better documentation and in-progress messages are definitely on the to do list... even calling it with no exports just gives a list of required inputs. 
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

CharonM72

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Laughingdwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2014, 10:07:20 pm »

PeridexisErrant, I too am a newbie at the GitHub thing, but it seems I need to have special permissions to push commits to your repository. Could you grant me (also CharonM72 on GitHub) at least write access to the Satellite Map Maker files so I can update them?
Ever wanted to see your DF world Google Earth-style? Check out my Satellite Map Maker!

He he, yeah, I was like, "how are we going to be sure the leader will die in the trap?"  And then I saw the 10 adamantine weapons in the trap.  Then I was like, "but what if they live through the fall if they dodge?"  Then I saw the giant magma pool.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2014, 10:27:15 pm »

How do I do that?  And why wouldn't it work to fork/update/pull request?
 Donations here.

CharonM72

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2014, 10:44:05 pm »

I guess it would work to fork it but then we'd have a bunch of versions of the same thing right? I think we want to keep this centralized if we can.
I don't know how to do pull requests on the Windows platform :P

EDIT: I can't publish forks either. I need write permissions if I am going to modify or add anything.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 02:08:17 am by CharonM72 »
Ever wanted to see your DF world Google Earth-style? Check out my Satellite Map Maker!

He he, yeah, I was like, "how are we going to be sure the leader will die in the trap?"  And then I saw the 10 adamantine weapons in the trap.  Then I was like, "but what if they live through the fall if they dodge?"  Then I saw the giant magma pool.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2014, 01:12:54 pm »

is the error:
(gimp-console-2.8.exe:6544): LibGimpBase-WARNING **: gimp-console-2.8.exe: gimp_wire_read(): error

normal? or do I just have an older version of GIMP? also the image does get rendered fine after a few mins, just wanted to know if this error is supposed to happen and if it causes any issues.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2014, 05:36:10 pm »

Not normal (I've never seen it), 2.8 is the latest version, but apparently it still works.

Would you mind testing my script for similar errors? I've reworked a fair bit of the mapmaker section, so it might be different.
 Donations here.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2014, 05:47:41 pm »

Yea I can try and test it right now, or at least very soon.

CharonM72

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2014, 04:40:40 am »

I get a lot of GIMP errors (about installed plugins) when I run GIMP too but it renders fine. It seems GIMP outputs both major and minor errors, so if it works it's nothing to worry about.

CharonM72

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2014, 07:42:07 am »

New version 1.3 released! Mostly under-the-hood stuff, but should make it work a bit more smoothly.

PeridexisErrant, I think for the same of simplicity I'll continue working on this project separately, but feel free to continue to include it in your LNP. I haven't tested it, but the batch file should be callable from another batch file, which means you won't need to integrate it with your script, although it'll have to re-run the GIMP finding and all. By the way SMM uses a slightly modified version of your GIMP finder, since 1. it was taking waaaay too long to find GIMP by just brute-force, and 2. it didn't seem to work anyway. File names shouldn't interfere with anything in your project. Also, you can call the batch file with a parameter at the end that sets the atmosphere level (0-2). Not totally sure if it works though. Feel free to test it and tell me. My project is now also on GitHub so you can follow any changes I make.

Zorbeltuss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Satellite Imagery of DF Worlds (v1.3 - Harder, better, faster, etc.)
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2014, 07:51:37 am »

I just ran the master, version from github and this happened (after the first scriptwindow had said running gimp).
Code: [Select]
(gimp-console-2.8.exe:1848): LibGimpBase-WARNING **: gimp-console-2.8.exe: gimp_
wire_read(): error
batch command experienced an execution error:
Error: ( : 1) eval: unbound variable: \=\"
While trying to run the script through gimp I got:
Code: [Select]
Error while executing create-view-satellite:

Error: ( : 1) /: argument 1 must be: numbe
Is the script made for a specific size of map or maybe made with a specific span of sizes (I tried the biggest size of map (257x257))? Or is this a bug and where do I report it and how in that case?

/Zorbeltuss
Kun hölmöllä on moottorisaha, jokainen häviää. / Kaikki jotuvat tappiolle kun hölmöllä on moottorisaha.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2014, 08:18:51 am »

I know the last version 1.2? works fine with the largest map size. If you scroll up I followed the link for PeridexisErrant script combo
Not normal (I've never seen it), 2.8 is the latest version, but apparently it still works.

Would you mind testing my script for similar errors? I've reworked a fair bit of the mapmaker section, so it might be different.
nvm i'll just quote it.
Did you enter a 0, 1, or 2 before it started? it asks for atmosphere level (which I think gives the feeling of fog/clouds)

Zorbeltuss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2014, 08:22:24 am »

nvm i'll just quote it.
Did you enter a 0, 1, or 2 before it started? it asks for atmosphere level (which I think gives the feeling of fog/clouds)
I will try it now, I tried 0 and 1 in both, and 2 in the bat version, no difference sadly.

Edit: That was the link I followed too apparently :P

/Zorbeltuss
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 08:23:56 am by Zorbeltuss »
Kun hölmöllä on moottorisaha, jokainen häviää. / Kaikki jotuvat tappiolle kun hölmöllä on moottorisaha.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2014, 08:58:59 am »

Higher atmosphere gives a stronger pastel blue tint, no cloud effects (yet).

The issue trying to run it through GIMP directly looks like a missing parameter to me, but I can't do any more detail than that.

I think the ffirst error, thrown by the batch script, may be a failure to correctly find the install location - you could try editing it in manually for yourself since you don't have our imperative to general usability.
 Donations here.

Zorbeltuss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2014, 10:09:33 am »

Higher atmosphere gives a stronger pastel blue tint, no cloud effects (yet).

The issue trying to run it through GIMP directly looks like a missing parameter to me, but I can't do any more detail than that.

I think the ffirst error, thrown by the batch script, may be a failure to correctly find the install location - you could try editing it in manually for yourself since you don't have our imperative to general usability.
It was gimp that returned that error too, however I fixed the problem, as a note to later users of this, most things with gimp works right of  the box after installation, but for this to work well it might be an Idea to restart the computer. Also I feel very silly now.

/Zorbeltuss

CharonM72

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2014, 12:01:48 pm »

Glad to see the problem was resolved. GIMP is a finicky piece of software; even when I run it it spits out like 15 errors (but it still runs successfully). There shouldn't be any issues with map size or anything as long as all the parameters are specified. Running it through the GIMP GUI should prompt for all the parameters anyway so barring inputting an invalid parameter it should work.

PeridexisErrant's script just calls my script for use anyway, so they should have exactly the same functionality. The only difference would be if he updates something without my knowledge (which would likely break compatibility with my new versions, haha) or if I release a new version and he hasn't updated his with my new files yet.

In a completely unrelated note I am super excited for the next version of DF. It should add a little more data to the exported maps that I can play with.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5