Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Satellite Imagery of DF Worlds (v1.3.3 - Now fully compatible with 0.40.x!)  (Read 41109 times)

Zorbeltuss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Satellite Imagery of DF Worlds (v1.3 - Harder, better, faster, etc.)
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2014, 12:57:00 pm »

Glad to see the problem was resolved. GIMP is a finicky piece of software; even when I run it it spits out like 15 errors (but it still runs successfully). There shouldn't be any issues with map size or anything as long as all the parameters are specified. Running it through the GIMP GUI should prompt for all the parameters anyway so barring inputting an invalid parameter it should work.

PeridexisErrant's script just calls my script for use anyway, so they should have exactly the same functionality. The only difference would be if he updates something without my knowledge (which would likely break compatibility with my new versions, haha) or if I release a new version and he hasn't updated his with my new files yet.
Yeah :), I've usually avoided GIMP but my program of choice (Paint shop pro 7) is getting very dated and I plan to change to linux soontm so it's better to learn gimp to have anything to work with.

In a completely unrelated note I am super excited for the next version of DF. It should add a little more data to the exported maps that I can play with.
I'm so exited I've jumped up and down on more than one occasion, squealing hasn't yet been part of my repertoire in my lifetime but I expect it for the release, I bet you'll find loads to work with.

Another unrelated note: Today I've been making maps in perfectworlddf, generating worlds and throwing results at a (quite good) mapmaker at a roleplaying forum to see what could be improved with my mapmaking (as in the bitmap i send to perfect world, I intend to tell him how I made it, but that will come with the final result) to get a realistic world. :)

/Zorbeltuss
Kun hölmöllä on moottorisaha, jokainen häviää. / Kaikki jotuvat tappiolle kun hölmöllä on moottorisaha.

Seagoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2014, 05:17:40 pm »

"Error while executing create-view-satellite:

Error: ( : 1) /: argument 1 must be: number "

Im getting this error as well trying to run it through gimp, restarted my comp and everything :P still not working.

CharonM72

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Laughingdwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2014, 09:48:33 am »

I'm really not sure what's happening there. The only argument in my script that's a number is the atmosphere level, and it checks to make sure it's a number before running. It must be something else.
Maybe try reinstalling GIMP? Or try a different version of GIMP or something. It's almost certainly something on GIMP's end.
Ever wanted to see your DF world Google Earth-style? Check out my Satellite Map Maker!

He he, yeah, I was like, "how are we going to be sure the leader will die in the trap?"  And then I saw the 10 adamantine weapons in the trap.  Then I was like, "but what if they live through the fall if they dodge?"  Then I saw the giant magma pool.

Seagoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2014, 10:11:24 am »

I actually installed the latest version of gimp incase that was the problem, no luck.
What version did you use to test this ?

CharonM72

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2014, 10:17:47 am »

Looks like it's 2.8.10, which appears to be the latest version.
Try this: in the batch file, at the very bottom there's a really long line that says this
Code: [Select]
start /wait "" %gimpLocation% -d -f -i -b "(create-save-satellite \"%water%\" \"%elevation%\" \"%vegetation%\" \"%volcanism%\" \"%temperature%\" \"%biome%\" \"%trees%\" \"%dirt%\" \"%mountains%\" %atmosphere% \"%mapName%\")"
Try sticking a --verbose in there like this:
Code: [Select]
start /wait "" %gimpLocation% -d -f -i --verbose -b "(create-save-satellite \"%water%\" \"%elevation%\" \"%vegetation%\" \"%volcanism%\" \"%temperature%\" \"%biome%\" \"%trees%\" \"%dirt%\" \"%mountains%\" %atmosphere% \"%mapName%\")"
May or may not give any more information. I'm kinda leaning toward may not though  :-\
Ever wanted to see your DF world Google Earth-style? Check out my Satellite Map Maker!

He he, yeah, I was like, "how are we going to be sure the leader will die in the trap?"  And then I saw the 10 adamantine weapons in the trap.  Then I was like, "but what if they live through the fall if they dodge?"  Then I saw the giant magma pool.

Seagoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2014, 10:22:19 am »

Uh, im not sure how this helped, but it just worked this time... no issues... All i did was alter that line of code...

Thanks though :)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 11:13:52 am by Seagoon »

magmaholic

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hello again"- canadian stalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2014, 01:51:24 pm »

Can it do this?

yes,it is the map in the first post :3
I am a Goober.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2014, 01:54:40 pm »

Toady should include a script for bi-polar planets.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

CharonM72

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2014, 02:11:48 pm »

Can it do this?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
yes,it is the map in the first post :3

Hoo boy, I'd have to learn a whole new scripting language to get it to stick onto a sphere. Unless GIMP can do that? Maybe it can.

Besides, in that map the equator is at or near the bottom of the map; as pisskop said it's only half (or a quarter) of a planet at best. So perhaps a section of a sphere would be more accurate.

CharonM72

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2014, 02:50:56 pm »

Turns out GIMP can do spheres. Here's my stab at it:

I need to get working on clouds.

magmaholic

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hello again"- canadian stalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2014, 04:37:39 pm »

Turns out GIMP can do spheres. Here's my stab at it:

I need to get working on clouds.
heheh,i think you can rip off the code from gimp.
google earthdwarf.

I am a Goober.

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2014, 09:15:19 am »

Rise Topic, Rise! Using my "Novice Reader" skill I have learned the secrets of Life and Death and use it on this topic.

Anyone know how to adjust the  code in the scheme and the bat to work with the new way Map images are named.   I wanna make Satellite Maps of worlds with Two Poles (thanks to .40.09.)

CharonM72

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2014, 10:23:03 am »

Rise Topic, Rise! Using my "Novice Reader" skill I have learned the secrets of Life and Death and use it on this topic.

Anyone know how to adjust the  code in the scheme and the bat to work with the new way Map images are named.   I wanna make Satellite Maps of worlds with Two Poles (thanks to .40.09.)

Ah, I haven't actually downloaded the new version yet due to being busy moving out of Tokyo (and waiting for bugfixes). When I have some free time I'll get on updating this for the latest version.
If you can tell me the naming scheme for the new maps though, I can probably throw in some ad-hoc fix that would search for those files and put an update on GitHub.
On a more long-term note, I will probably try to add a cloud layer, and if I can, add something where cities are located so they should be visible on the map, as well as updating it to work better with the new version of DF.

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2014, 10:55:02 am »

Awesome hold on let me grab the name of the Image files.

region3-00300-01-01-bm.bmp
region3-00300-01-01-elw.bmp
region3-00300-01-01-el.bmp
region3-00300-01-01-tmp.bmp
region3-00300-01-01-veg.bmp
region3-00300-01-01-vol.bmp

looks like it mainly moved the map type to the end of the file name.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2014, 11:12:58 am »

Toady should include a script for bi-polar planets.
I know this is old, but it's not that old. You can have worlds with a pole at either end.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5